Thread: The people you hate the most are in your quadra

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    486 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chae View Post
    Cute I hope this helps: My statement is a perspective. Fear means experiencing threat (instead of well-wishing) from another person, and hate is the defense mode to shield the bad intentions from your perceived vulnerability. Fear, in allocentric terms, is an emotional expression displaying fright, while hate is blatant disdain, snark, avoidance, or anger signaling.

Can you go more into hate? I think you're onto something but I'm not totally clear on it

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bertrand View Post
    Can you go more into hate? I think you're onto something but I'm not totally clear on it
    Hate is a sentiment that has an outward target, it goes from you to them. Fear is the initial mechanism, from them to you, it's intrusive. So it's only natural that hate is the retaliation reaction, trying to intrude back. The latter includes all of the actions I've listed but it can go beyond that, hate has as many forms as fear because it depends on the hater's motivation and the hatee's.

Mentioned
    486 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chae View Post
    Hate is a sentiment that has an outward target, it goes from you to them. Fear is the initial mechanism, from them to you, it's intrusive. So it's only natural that hate is the retaliation reaction, trying to intrude back. The latter includes all of the actions I've listed but it can go beyond that, hate has as many forms as fear because it depends on the hater's motivation and the hatee's.

I fear good things sometimes though--things I don't hate. I also feel like I hate some things I don't fear. I feel like the common cause to both these things is simple negative affect-- one motivating us in terms of alerting us to danger (fear) the other to act on it (hate). But I feel like hate presumes a moral judgement on top of fear that is "I am afraid of this and I shouldn't have to be"; which "fear = hate" reduces out of the equation, but which I think is a legitimate category. I feel like moral judgements are not just expressions of fear, but statements about certain phenomena that cause fear that have a legitimate basis (albeit not for everyone--some people reflexively hate whatever causes them fear), but I would say, at least in my case, I can separate fear from hate, especially in the case of fearing things I know to be good for me (this is the basis of courage--especially moral courage). In that way I feel like you can legitimately hate things (in the case of fear-producing things that also really are bad) and illegitimately hate things--i.e. moral cowardice--this takes the form of moralizing vice: i.e.: an anti war stance (hatred of war) for reasons of personal cowardice not actual principle

in other words, I feel like one must have an adversarial position toward ones own natural tendencies and the failure to do so constitutes both cowardice and a 1:1 correlation between fear and hate, but that is not the rule of the universe only the rule for weak people

in other words, cowardice is the attitude that one is justified in hating whatever causes them fear and this is what results in all sorts of moral failures (up to and including counter phobic violence)

I feel like it is a moral triumph above the norm to be able to separate hate and fear, and not just in the case of not-hating everything that causes fear, but also in learning to hate things that are seemingly innocuous, even comfortable, or security-producing (this is something I think Fe-Si types especially tend to struggle with--deathly obese families are a product of this failure, etc)
    Last edited by Bertrand; 02-26-2017 at 01:00 AM.