Quote Originally Posted by BulletsAndDoves View Post
Darth Vader would be a good guy if you just forgive him and love him as much as possible. But then there would be no story I suppose.
yea star wars as a whole is more about vader than luke, when you factor in the first three episodes.

First one --> childhood, coming of age story
Second one --> teen angst, love story
Third one --> once again emo/teen angst, tragedy
Fourth one --> beginning of the hero cycle for luke
Fifth one --> typical middle of trilogy (dark one)
Sixth one --> typical finale of trilogy, also resolves ep 1-3 plotlines

lol I hate to get all scholarly about it, but the form is kind of like, the first hero that is presented is vader, and he is followed, but he falls, the second hero that is presented is luke, and he is followed, but he succedes, and also redeems vader, the fallen hero. The idea is that while great ambitions may fall, their is redemption in the new younger generation, and in a way that generation reaches back and heals the failures of the older generation, mix that with the mythological/spiritual symbolism, and you got some major themes. I don't know if george lucas was but he studied mythology in depth and he has a couple of interviews talking about it, he wrote star wars and then later learned it followed basic mythology archetypes and forms. The hero cycle, the wise old man (obi wan), etc...