Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Si in the Context of Hygiene, Culinary Skill, Comfort, & Other Basic Human Things

Hybrid View

TIM
    Se/Ni sx/sp
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Si in the Context of Hygiene, Culinary Skill, Comfort, & Other Basic Human Things

Quote Originally Posted by Gulanzon View Post
    Si role

I stink therefore I am. Constant problems with hygiene because it's a chore and I can't really be bothered.

I'm also not a natural cook. (Against Si having globality dimension (being Base function).)

Discuss.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamajama View Post
    Gul, this is just getting sad.

I'll be frank, I do not have the best hygiene at times, but I suppose that comes with the territory of being a teenage guy eh. I don't comb my hair ever and my clothes don't match.

I cannot cook well either, even though I have cooked food before.
    In contrast:
    • I am very, very clean.
    • I dress well. My clothes match.
    • I am an excellent cook (and so is my SLE father and LSI sister).

So what, does that make me “more Si” than the supposed Si-leadings? No. Now could we please stop associating strong and/or valued Si with these traits?

I value hygiene and a good meal. I like clothes that are coordinated well. I enjoy men that don't dress like jackasses. I love music and comfortable beds.

Simultaneously: I have bed-head 90% of the time because it looks best that way. I hate guys that put effort into their appearances (i.e., don't fucking style your hair—at all, stubble is nice so don't get anal over it, please don't take longer than I do to get ready because it's weird, etc.). I like caffeine and other stimulants. I can (and often do) go two to three days without eating, drinking, or sleeping. I hate calming down. I hate being uncomfortable for the sake of looking good. I hate people who try too hard to maintain a look.

And I would argue that none of this has anything to do with weak or strong Si.

P.S. If you burn toast it means you're incompetent, not Si PoLR.
    maybe a saint is just a dead prick with a good publicist
    maybe tommorow's statues are insecure without their foes
    go ask the frog what the scorpion knows

Creepy-Pied Piper

Removed at User Request

Sauron, The Great Enemy ArchonAlarion's Avatar
    TIM
    Yet to be determined
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Allie View Post
    In contrast:
    • I am very, very clean.
    • I dress well. My clothes match.
    • I am an excellent cook (and so is my SLE father and LSI sister).

So what, does that make me “more Si” than the supposed Si-leadings? No. Now could we please stop associating strong and/or valued Si with these traits?

I value hygiene and a good meal. I like clothes that are coordinated well. I enjoy men that don't dress like jackasses. I love music and comfortable beds.

Simultaneously: I have bed-head 90% of the time because it looks best that way. I hate guys that put effort into their appearances (i.e., don't fucking style your hair—at all, stubble is nice so don't get anal over it, please don't take longer than I do to get ready because it's weird, etc.). I like caffeine and other stimulants. I can (and often do) go two to three days without eating, drinking, or sleeping. I hate calming down. I hate being uncomfortable for the sake of looking good. I hate people who try too hard to maintain a look.

And I would argue that none of this has anything to do with weak or strong Si.

P.S. If you burn toast it means you're incompetent, not Si PoLR.
    Lol, and thank you.
    The end is nigh

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mmm I'm Si PoLR and I'm a pretty good cook, I think. I wouldn't go days without sleeping or eating, though. I would feel like i was going to die. (ps. this post is not meant to make sense)
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

I had words here once, but I didn't feed them Khola aka Bee's Avatar
    TIM
    Meat Popsicle
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm going to go with either "It's unrelated" or "It's a teenage boy thing."

I am meticulously fastidious about all forms of hygiene. This includes myself, my room, any food I may prepare, making sure even the dog is clean enough to be cuddled, everything.

And I'm a great cook and have been cooking since I can remember.
    Hello, my name is Bee. Pleased to meet you .

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Khola View Post
    making sure even the dog is clean enough to be cuddled, everything.
    See, that's something that while I would never think to do myself, but would appreciate. A really smelly dog is a pretty gross thing, and it's so great to hug a dog who is clean and fluffy. I sometimes wonder how often dogs need to be cleaned to maintain that and it gives me a headache.

However, I knew of an ISFp who wasn't clean.

I think it depends on what things the Si person thinks are "gross."
    Hi! I'm an ENFP. :-)

TIM
    ILE (ENTp)
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Allie View Post

I can (and often do) go two to three days without eating, drinking, or sleeping. I hate calming down.
    Commando Allie
    ILE "Searcher"
    Socionics: ENTp
    DCNH: Dominant --> perhaps Normalizing
    Enneagram: 7w6 "Enthusiast"
    MBTI: ENTJ "Field Marshall" or ENTP "Inventor"
    Astrological sign: Aquarius

To learn, read. To know, write. To master, teach.

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well actually I'm wondering about this too. These associations often do seem to make Si into a non-function or something... And these things are basics (like food, water, shelter, etc.). If there is a convenient way to meet the basics humans will find it (and we've been moving to making these things increasingly convenient and less time consuming for a long time so we don't have to spend all day eating grass like cattle do just to meet our daily nutrition requirements). Anyway, I've felt that Si must get at something deeper, either that or the other functions must get at something shallower. Either way.

Creepy-male

Si's purpose is to be Ne's bitch, duh.

TIM
    Yet to be determined
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Well actually I'm wondering about this too. These associations often do seem to make Si into a non-function or something... And these things are basics (like food, water, shelter, etc.). If there is a convenient way to meet the basics humans will find it (and we've been moving to making these things increasingly convenient and less time consuming for a long time so we don't have to spend all day eating grass like cattle do just to meet our daily nutrition requirements). Anyway, I've felt that Si must get at something deeper, either that or the other functions must get at something shallower. Either way.
    You are right on track as usual lol.

Si is just as deep, complex, and multi-realm applicable as any other element.

I've described it before in detail...
    The end is nigh

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ArchonAlarion View Post
    You are right on track as usual lol.

Si is just as deep, complex, and multi-realm applicable as any other element.

I've described it before in detail...
    Is this a sarcastic remark? Dogs spitting up yellow pus disconcert me sometimes!

TIM
    Yet to be determined
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No man, not at all. You often reason out exactly what im going to say or what I want people to get. It was a compliment
    The end is nigh

Creepy-Cyclops

For delta ST's, the Si can display itself in taking care of the practical matters of the relationship. This can be doing the tax returns, making sure the bills are paid, building kitchens and maintaining such structural integrities of the house. If need be it can be in terms of cooking, such as making sure the kids have breakfast in the morning and making sure they sure they go to school on time each day.

In the workplace it is an invaluable tool for taking care of the details with no fuss or showboating. Si sees things for what they are.

Creepy-Pied Piper

Removed at User Request

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When my husband cooks, he's pretty good at it, but he usually just complains that he's hungry and wants me to cook.

Si is about awareness of physical states and how objects interact with each other. That COULD show up in cooking ability and hygiene, but not necessarily. Comfort is more applicable to Si than hygiene and culinary skill.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

Creepy-Cyclops

Quote Originally Posted by Slacker Mom View Post
    Si is about awareness of physical states and how objects interact with each other.
    I think the idea of this thread is to move away from black box descriptions. It's perhaps about explaining such things in actual real terms
    That COULD show up in cooking ability and hygiene, but not necessarily. Comfort is more applicable to Si than hygiene and culinary skill.
    Comfort is not necessarily of course the be all and end all of Si, although it certainly can be a guiding result on a personal level (personal including those that they care about which can mean themselves or others in a caregiving capacity). In such a case it is the physical manifestation of what results in physical comfort, which can come from a lot of hard work which on the face of it sounds in contrast to comfort.

If you observe for instance LSE's in the workplace, people wouldn't necessarily equate what they do and how they tend to push themselves and others with making themselves or their staff comfortable.

***el X Mercenary
    TIM
    Te-ISTp
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ OMGOSH. Is this Cyclops' first non-retarded post?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    For delta ST's, the Si can display itself in taking care of the practical matters of the relationship. This can be doing the tax returns, making sure the bills are paid, building kitchens and maintaining such structural integrities of the house. If need be it can be in terms of cooking, such as making sure the kids have breakfast in the morning and making sure they sure they go to school on time each day.

In the workplace it is an invaluable tool for taking care of the details with no fuss or showboating. Si sees things for what they are.
    ISTps don't mind paying taxes? my god. I stress every month of the year about the impending doom of having to fill that thing out, even if I hire someone (regardless of how "easy" my friends say my return should be. Whenever I question duality, I should re-read this post about delta STs not minding doing taxes. I also can't be trusted to make sure I eat breakfast, let alone make someone else eats it, so the other things on the list are also good. This may sound sarcastic in written form, but it's not. It almost doesn't seem like a fair trade...all that practical useful stuff in exchange for what? Some Ne and Fi to make some silly jokes about otters or perhaps imitate a silly dance, or know how close of a friend my friend is? lol.

So it seems delta STs can do all the things an ISTj can do, only better (for me). I know this all "in theory" but I forget the actual application sometimes.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sometimes even I wonder what in the world Si and Te sees in us Ne and Fi types. I'm just grateful that they do see something.

I actually find myself getting more 'caregiver' like around Ni types though.

Good post, Isha.
    Ceci n'est pas une eii.

TIM
    ILE (ENTp)
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Greeter View Post
    Sometimes even I wonder what in the world Si and Te sees in us Ne and Fi types. I'm just grateful that they do see something.

I actually find myself getting more 'caregiver' like around Ni types though.

Good post, Isha.
    ILE "Searcher"
    Socionics: ENTp
    DCNH: Dominant --> perhaps Normalizing
    Enneagram: 7w6 "Enthusiast"
    MBTI: ENTJ "Field Marshall" or ENTP "Inventor"
    Astrological sign: Aquarius

To learn, read. To know, write. To master, teach.

Creepy-Pied Piper

Removed at User Request

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But doesn't all of that seem degrading? The Si leading person is supposed to handle all the practical (and boring) affairs? Like having a personal servant who's all too happy to do taxes, or cook, or wash dishes? What? That does not make sense to me for some reason.

Creepy-Pied Piper

Removed at User Request

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    But doesn't all of that seem degrading? The Si leading person is supposed to handle all the practical (and boring) affairs? Like having a personal servant who's all too happy to do taxes, or cook, or wash dishes? What? That does not make sense to me for some reason.
    maybe a Si person could comment on that? I would doubt they would feel that way, any more than I would feel like a hired clown for entertaining someone with Ne. But I could be wrong...

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Isha View Post
    That's not really what I was saying.
    I was reacting/responding to posts #29 and #32 mostly. Then your last post appeared "suddenly" after I hit reply, and since jewels and ephemeros responded to my post afterwards, I decided against editing it to properly represent where I meant it in the post sequence...

All that aside, I don't know why I have difficulty wrapping my head around this. But I did find what you just said helpful, as well as your previous posts.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Isha View Post
    I think that likes for the following reasons:

thinking mostly about needs, while this obviously has a lot of benefits, can simply get boring, and types may end up getting stuck in routines or just become complacent -- they are not getting the maximum satisfaction in life because they don't spend quite enough time thinking about novel things (novelty is important for homo sapiens, as it turns out).

types spend a lot of time thinking about novel kinds of things, and they want to do novel things. can appreciate this because, under 's influence, they can get a kind of satisfaction from life they might not have expected, and the increasingly diverse satisfaction they experience will contribute to a better overall wellbeing.

On the other side, the types spend a lot of time thinking about novelty but tend not to be as satisfied as they might be because they find themselves plagued by needs they might only be vaguely aware of, or that they might not fully understand (for a very simplistic example, they might not realize that they get grumpy when they're hungry). Under the influence of , they can basically stop being a prisoner of their unmet needs and get more out of life themselves.

This is pure socionics gold.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RSV3 View Post
    This is pure socionics gold.
    this also makes me a type.
    6w5 sx
    model Φ: -+0
    sloan - rcuei

Creepy-Cyclops

Quote Originally Posted by jewels View Post
    ISTps don't mind paying taxes? my god. I stress every month of the year about the impending doom of having to fill that thing out, even if I hire someone (regardless of how "easy" my friends say my return should be. Whenever I question duality, I should re-read this post about delta STs not minding doing taxes. I also can't be trusted to make sure I eat breakfast, let alone make someone else eats it, so the other things on the list are also good. This may sound sarcastic in written form, but it's not. It almost doesn't seem like a fair trade...all that practical useful stuff in exchange for what? Some Ne and Fi to make some silly jokes about otters or perhaps imitate a silly dance, or know how close of a friend my friend is? lol.

So it seems delta STs can do all the things an ISTj can do, only better (for me). I know this all "in theory" but I forget the actual application sometimes.
    Ha, well, i've heard something similar from ENFp's, although not related to this particular conversation per se. You guys doing what you do, like you described..being able to smooth over interpersonal relationships, give interpersonal advice, cheer others up, other (seems to me new, different) things [maybe you don't realise this as it is intrinsic in it's own way], basically do things as you do them/describe (I don't want to elaborate too much in this post) but you being who you are, makes me want to do such things more.

On the converse, I see what I can do as somewhat mundane, like anyone can do these things. But it galvanises me to do it more when it's for someone who appreciates it, and the sort of person you describe as yourself sounds pretty on the mark.

It's the old thing that we see our ego functions, their abilities as ordinary, but it's really two sides of the same darn coin for duality and such.

OK, got to go, am waiting on a few mates turning up at this beer garden, and for some reason we have a nice day in Scotland

Quick edit: the things we can do can seem lacking in emotion to others, sort of cold but taking care of the practical things, the facts etc, but ENFp's (and delta NF's) bring the emotional side into play, which for me and other delta ST's I know is great. Just be who you are; seems fine to me.

lol, this post probably isn't as informative as other posts on this thread, but i've made it, there it stands. (until I perhaps decide to edit it later into something else, ha)
    Last edited by Cyclops; 05-11-2009 at 05:35 PM.

Creepy-Cyclops

Nice post Isha. I think it seems that for the needs that you mentioned, at least when attending to others, that SiTe types focus more on realising things from a more practical application for others, and for those with SiFe (or vica versa for the two ego functions in both cases) it is more for realising things from a more emotion creating perspective, although I think the two can sometimes overlap, it's more an observable trend.

I'm aware I could have worded this better perhaps, but I thought I would post incase it helps some of the Si with Fe types who have posted.

For instance, I think Kam enjoys getting his friends to eat because it's setting an emotional atmosphere with his friends; it's part of the package with how he'd interact with it. Delta ST's are not unconcerned with emotional needs, but it doesn't always seem to others that it's something they are considering when they do such things, and the application of their Si is therefore different etc.

TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah great post isha.
    D-SEI 9w1

This is me and my dual being scientific together

Hakuna Matata and the cycle of Samsara godslave's Avatar
    TIM
    694 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A thought just crossed my mind, I realized that the last time someone washed my back was sirca 2014. I've never learned how to do it on my own properly, I just do my best. So I wanted to know how people normally wash their back and I found this very instructive video...

To me an exfoliator has always looked like this...

And, If I remember correctly, the last time somebody washed my back properly was in a place like this...

Seed my wickedness The Reality Denialist's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    357 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by godslave View Post
    A thought just crossed my mind, I realized that the last time someone washed my back was sirca 2014. I've never learned how to do it on my own properly, I just do my best. So I wanted to know how people normally wash their back and I found this very instructive video...
    So you made me think about my nails.

I have mainly used two tools for this:
    Exhibit #1

I mean,it may seem tiny if I tell you that I considered a chainsaw
    Exhibit #2
    MOTTO: NEVER TRUST IN REALITY
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type
    Life is a joke but do you have a life?

Joinif you dare https://matrix.to/#/#The16Types:matrix.org

TIM
    694 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Reality Denialist View Post
    So you made me think about my nails.

I have mainly used two tools for this:
    Exhibit #1

I mean,it may seem tiny if I tell you that I considered a chainsaw
    Exhibit #2
    I have always had the habit of nail biting (onychophagia). In fact, as far as I can remember, there hasn't been a month when I haven't bitten at least one nail until it bled. Despite the fact that I try to be careful, I still hurt myself. I might add that I also bite my toenails ! I'm a bit of a contortionist.
    Last edited by godslave; 05-21-2024 at 04:09 PM.
    Lack is the Muse of all Poets

TIM
    FU
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Enters Laughing View Post
    We need data on levels of toast-burning per type.
    Man, my toaster oven sometimes doesn't count down. Eventually I'll be greeted with smoke, fire alarm, and my reheated pizza turned into charcoal...adrenaline, disappointment, hunger -> cue sad clown

It took me like 3 burned foods before I realized I need to make sure it's ticking down. I must be Te-polr of course lmao.

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pzombieLIT View Post
    Man, my toaster oven sometimes doesn't count down. Eventually I'll be greeted with smoke, fire alarm, and my reheated pizza turned into charcoal...adrenaline, disappointment, hunger -> cue sad clown

It took me like 3 burned foods before I realized I need to make sure it's ticking down. I must be Te-polr of course lmao.
    I think it's probably mostly correlated with the IXXP temperament and Big Five neuroticism.

TIM
    694 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am more involved in the cleaning and order of my environment than my own body. I wear the same clothes for a very long time (usually something comfortable and flexible like jogging pants ). I usually have special "sleep T-shirts" (always 100%cotton) but since I live alone I wear them most of the time, I only change T-shirts when I go out and when I'm back home I rewear the "sleep T-shirt" until I feel like I have to change it and wash it... I have a serious shoulder injury since a while now so I have limited range of movements right now. That said, overall I'm clean in my body so my hygiene is okay , after all I am a man of Faith (at least In reputation !) and cleanliness is half of Faith. Also I'm easily disgusted by anything pertaining to body fluids, smells etc... Except for sexual stuff...

Indeed, I mean I like the female sex organ (yes shocking, reader discretion is advised !!) it's quite something that stuff ! But that was in another life. Now, I'm demi-sexual , that means I can't have sex with a lady (above 30 and below 57 for now !) who doesn't explicitly say or take actions meaning that she wants to have sex with me. And oh, I also have to find something sexy about her (but I always do !) and knowing her name helps too. Ideally the time of a cup of coffee before sex in enough for me to meet the criteria of demi-sexuality. So by that time, I'm enough in love with a charming lady to be ready to hear her tell me explicitly that she wants to have sex with me and/or just boldly take the first step which would be explicit enough and implies consent (yes, I'm a gentleman in a post "me too" era and one is never too careful !). But I digress.

I have a washing machine. I bought it about three year ago. Four or five months ago, I finished the 1.85 L bottle of washing detergent that I had bought at the same time as the machine. That was the last time I used the washing machine... That said, I have a stock of clean clothes (a lot of which are still in the moving boxes from february 2019 !) and the dirty laundry basket is starting to overflow a bit. I guess I'll have to do the laundry very soon, and summer is coming....

Other than that my apartment is very clean. I have my own notion of order. I don't have a sofa, so I spend most of my time on the mattress that serves as my bed on the floor. In fact, I have my bed (the one from my old room when I lived with my parents) just behind me (with its own mattress, also very comfortable!) which serves as a sofa and against which I wedge my mattress on the floor. This means that I'm in a position in which I can lie down right in front of the TV. My laptop is on my left, my guitar on my right, always within easy reach, and all the rest of my music gear is in the next room. I haven't slept in a bed since the first covid lockdown (I went to spend a few days with my parents because I was in PTSD and couldn't use my laptop yada yada it it's too long to explain why !). In my house, I've slept in my bed only once sirca 2019, In fact I had dozed off, it wasn't even intentional.

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love when people unearth threads from 2009. Who are these ancient posters and where are they now?

TIM
    694 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Poptart View Post
    I love when people unearth threads from 2009. Who are these ancient posters and where are they now?

This guy might know the answer..

What's the purpose of SEI? Tallmo's Avatar
    TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    319 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Poptart View Post
    I am an ancient poster (but not in this thread). I came here for the first time around 2009/2010. ( I dont remember exactly)
    The decisive thing is not the reality of the object, but the reality of the subjective factor, i.e. the primordial images, which in their totality represent a psychic mirror-world. It is a mirror, however, with the peculiar capacity of representing the present contents of consciousness not in their known and customary form but in a certain sense sub specie aeternitatis, somewhat as a million-year old consciousness might see them.

(Jung on Si)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast