Thread: IEIs/INFps and susceptibility to religious cults

Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default IEIs/INFps and susceptibility to religious cults

I generally find people of this type to be ok, except when it comes to this.

There is one person I know who is a Jehovah's Witness and she is pretty much unable to separate her own thoughts and views from those that she was indoctrinated into by her parents and religion. Her religion pretty much dictates all aspects of her life and she refuses to listen to any evidence that contradicts her beliefs. I generally don't care what people choose believe, but her excessive bible quoting and refusal to do any activities not approved by her religion irritates me.

Is this a typical trait of IEIs? If so, what is that best way to deal with them when the go in full fanaticism mode?

Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

Obscurantism and self righteousness are not necessarily type related. My aunt has drown into a cult lately and I type her Se lead. The best way is to leave fanatics alone with their fanatism.

TIM
    So/Sx Introvert
    Mentioned
    717 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)

I am not susceptible to religious cults at all. I am not even susceptible to more "regular" religious practices.

Having said that, I know of an LIE-Ni Sx/So individual who used to be in a cult, and an IEI-Fe woman who just recently started to distance herself from one.

It seems to be largely a matter of where you grew up, with what kinds of people around, whether you are more susceptible to a belief in God in general, and whether you crave being part of a close-knit community. Those are the main factors, I think. I don't see it being particularly related with IEI. Even so, ego or "just" valuing types (I'd say HA + 6w7 is more susceptible, actually, ime) with that particular kind of background may be more susceptible to it... But I am not too certain of that.

Most IEIs I have known were rather "spiritual" and into more New Age or Wiccan practices (the former typically being Sx/Sp and the latter Sp/Sx), but not cult members. And some IEIs were simply atheist or agnostic like myself.

P.S: @ OP, I get the impression the person you are talking about may actually be SEI instead. Just a hunch.
    New Youtube [x] Get Typed! [x]
    Celebs [x] Theory [x] Tumblr [x]

*********** 21-04-19:
    "Looks like a mystic that just arrived to battle and staring out at the battle, ready to unleash"

Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cassandra View Post
    P.S: @ OP, I get the impression the person you are talking about may actually be SEI instead. Just a hunch.
    Its possible. I was wondering if this was more leading Ni with Te polr or both weak Ni and Te blocked together.

TIM
    IEI 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Delta NFs are probably more likely to get culty than IEI. Personally I always look at things from a multitude of perspectives (did not used to as a child but as I have grown this has matured) so for example I read stuff about many different religions and if I see something I think looks sus or "fake" will try to fact-check it and make an educated opinion. I feel like people in cults lack this critical thinking (smtimes by choice.) One place where I have less critical thinking is politics but even then my mind is becoming more open to possibilities. So yeah, IEI & EIE --> mystical, magical thinking, open mindedness. Not so much cults and locking yourself down in one frame of mind. My EIE mom is very Catholic but she has her own love of mysticism and a lot of skepticism about the church.

TIM
    IEI-Ni 6w5-9-2 So/Sx
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really don't think so. Weak Ni tends to have the reputation for falling for crap like that. Ni HA are attracted to people who connect dots and can fall into conspiracy theory nonsense if misled(misinformed). I think that's quite similar, outsourcing the thinking to people who reveal the truth to them. And Ni PolR is the most likely to go along with what they were raised around, without really questioning it.

But then again, IEI's can be absolute trainwrecks mentally. The whole so open minded their brain falls out thing.
    Projection is ordinary. Person A projects at person B, hoping tovalidate something about person A by the response of person B. However, person B, not wanting to be an obejct of someone elses ego and guarding against existential terror constructs a personality which protects his ego and maintain a certain sense of a robust and real self that is different and separate from person A. Sadly, this robust and real self, cut off by defenses of character from the rest of the world, is quite vulnerable and fragile given that it is imaginary and propped up through external feed back. Person B is dimly aware of this and defends against it all the more, even desperately projecting his anxieties back onto person A, with the hope of shoring up his ego with salubrious validation. All of this happens without A or B acknowledging it, of course. Because to face up to it consciously is shocking, in that this is all anybody is doing or can do and it seems absurd when you realize how pathetic it is.

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

We're all still here aren't we?

socionix
    a bizarre and unruly cultlike ideology based on categorization of human beings that masquerades as psychology.
    you are a Ti-ENTp in socionix.
    #socionics #cult #socion #psychology #mbti

by anonymous_person2063 January 07, 2010

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Hmmm yeah, after I think about it does seem like ESE and SEI are probably more prone to this then IEI. I could see an LSI/SLE perhaps occasionally getting into them, as a means of controlling others and setting down rules. NFs might get into occasionally as well if they think the religion as a whole is beneficial towards society.

TIM
    SLE
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My EII sister came very close to getting pulled into some kind of christian cult group by her SLI friend.

TIM
    ENFp-C
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If it's even type related at all (and for the record I don't think it is - cults use an array of highly effective brainwashing tactics to get and keep members) I imagine IEIs would be somewhat less likely to get drawn into cults than average, not more so. It could be my enneagram 4 talking, but I don't tend to think of IEIs as really being "followers." Because of 4D Ni + Creative Fe we might be more likely to start a cult than average though lol (though that's probably more likely gonna be EIEs)
    “Things always seem fairer when we look back at them, and it is out of that inaccessible tower of the past that Longing leans and beckons.”
    — James Russell Lowell
    猫が生き甲斐

TIM
    ISTP
    Mentioned
    241 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IEI are skeptical of things outside of their own worldview and need logical persuasion to make changes to it, so no. C-D types are most likely to join cults, with maybe the exception of ILE.

TIM
    SCS EII, so4w5 461
    Mentioned
    214 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

An IEI 6, maybe. IEI 4’s definitely not as much, unless maybe they are the cult starter. EIE is more likely.
    I am in my head; not society.

Yes, that is who I am, hence the bold am.​ Also, a brain angel. (+ my own incarnation of a Zelda concept).

My thoughts align w action to succeed what needs (at least in my dreamed ideal, they do)…

Dragons:

Babies, click them to make them grow up into Kara’s Dragon Museum

My favorite adult Museum Exhibits

Mentioned
    244 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Muddy View Post
    Is this a typical trait of IEIs? If so, what is that best way to deal with them when the go in full fanaticism mode?
    no, my dad is LSE and he is the same. its just how religious people cling to their beliefs no matter what.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Not really at all. 4D Ni ego allows people to easily see through charlatan cult-leader douchebags tbh. This goes up there to me with 'ESEs don't like to be touched.' Is it Opposite Month or something?

Yeah I'm too busy trying to protect ESEs from falling for religious/cult scams myself falling for them myself.

IEIs do have weaker logical functions (stronger Fe/Fi/Ni/Ne but weaker Se/Si/Te/Ti) - so I think that often translates to appearing more gullible than we really are or something. And Te polr I think often makes you 'stuck' in a place longer than you should be in it - but IEI is too busy exposing the cult for what it is than falling for anything they are doing and being in it longer just gives them even more information to use against the people and free the masses lol.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Something tells me IEIs might fall momentarily for a cult if the perfected image or aspiration it projects resonates with a Ni based reverie. This’ll happen as long as the ‘vision’ of the cult is distant enough for the person to entertain it in their head and contact with people of the organization is reduced to the minimum. It’ll die out when and if they move onto a different fantasy. Cyclothymia. What they might have is a great deal of deference for religious tradition if not for anything else then for what other people might have against it. IEIs trust that people have been more or less the same 2,000 years ago and now, so they give some sort of credit to religion vs. what a Ti-lead might think they've figured out. An unhealthy one might fall in a cult a) desperation b) Ni and Ti mob. trying to dig deeper. But even then, unlikely it would happen.
    Sicuramente cercherai il significato di questo.