Hybrid View

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default VI: What it is, misconceptions, and how to learn it

A good understanding of VI on this forum could advance the English-speaking Socionics community by leaps and bounds…
    I’m writing this post to address some misconceptions about Socionics VI, to tell the truth about it.

VI—the visual identification of Socionics types –is the easiest way to make Socionics benefit you in your day-to-day life. It can help you to make ACCURATE snap judgments about friends', co-workers' personalities—anyone'.

After one becomes competent at Socionics, becoming good at VI is simple; however, like many things, (e.g. a musical instrument,) it takes A LOT of practice to become good at VI. (There are pitfalls too, which I’ll address.)

Unfortunately for VI as a concept in the English-speaking Socionics community, there are less than a handful of VI experts on this forum—and currently, there are ZERO 100% correct VI galleries. The myriad of incompentent VI opinions expressed on this forum, elsewhere, and in VI galleries makes VI look like a crapshoot.

VI is not a crapshoot. It only looks this way because currently, it is practiced incompetently.

(Same principle as when I first picked up the guitar—it sounded like shit… But now that I know some chords, I can play songs.)

Skepticism regarding VI in this community:
    Thus far, what’s been published about Socionics VI in English has been very confusing and often, flat wrong (e.g. most of Gulenko’s Socionics.com VI section… Frankly, it’s taken years to un-tangle the mess that site has made of the English Socionics’ community’s understanding of VI… Likewise, Ashton’s Delta and Gamma Socionix VI galleries are full of incorrect typings, which cause a lot of confusion among the ten or so people who subscribe to Model X… To be fair though, Ashton’s beta and alpha typings are often quite good… In a much different vein, Rick’s VI of the actor Robert DeNiro as SLI has led to confusion regarding that type, which continues to this day re: SLI vs. LSI. Giving credit where it’s due, however, Rick is one of the most accurate English-speaking Socionists and most of his typings are spot on.)

Currently, many in our community to write-off VI as quackery, or at least on the fringes re: Socionics’ value—mostly due to its seeming unreliability, which is, unfortunately, engendered by the incompetency of the aforementioned practitioners and randoms on this forum. (Again, this is not to say these are incompetent Socionists—they just have some bad VI typings which have led to confusion.)

What Socionics VI is:

Socionics VI, when done by a VI expert, (one without any agenda except to get the typing right,) can NEARLY ALWAYS help identify one’s leading function or quadra—and thus give great insight into one’s probable type.
    Less often, (but remarkably often all things considered,) Socionics VI, when done by a VI expert, can help identify one’s exact type, and even subtype (!) (Subtypes, indeed, have recognizable VI traits.)

In theory, learning VI is simple; (however, it’s currently hard because no accurate VI galleries exist in the English-speaking Socionics community… I’m offering to compose one; however, I don’t have a shitload of time atm.) After studying an accurate VI gallery, a Socionist must look at hundreds of photos (of friends, relatives, celebrities, etc,) and memorize the physical looks/shapes of faces and especially eyes. The Socionist must also note the feeling (the empathetic “vibe” as Steve would say, lol,) he/ she receives from each individual photo.

The eyes are BY FAR the most important and telling characteristic in Socionics VI.

The Socionist will soon notice how often these physical features/"vibes" repeat. (I was when my eyes were opened to genuine Socionics VI a few months back… I made a new friend the other day just after I VI’d him as LSI and just went up to him.)

I’ll post some pictures in a reply to test those who want a test.
    Last edited by JuJu; 04-22-2009 at 08:08 PM.

TIM
    NeFi
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To be honest, I am very skeptical of VI. Mostly because of how physically different people are, it comes off strange that there are 16 or sets of physical attributions that denote type. But what I can agree with is the concept of types having a "vibe." To me, I can look at people and get an idea from them, or watching them talk or whatever in some manner. So I would like to be open-minded and see what you have to say, because there are so many people who say "This person is such an obvious SiTe" or whatever, and the next person will be "What are you talking about, this is a clear example of an FeNi!" It's gained the reputation that you have described, but I can't say I wouldn't want some technique to exist to help type people that doesn't involve asking them strange questions about the way they think. So good luck, I'm glad you're attempting this

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here is a test for those who want to try... Guess the quadra of these groups just by VI:

Sauron, The Great Enemy ArchonAlarion's Avatar
    TIM
    Yet to be determined
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

since I know 3 & 4 already I'll do 1 & 2

1. Delta (Just feel Te/Fi. Seem to be largely rationals)
    2. Alpha (Ne/Si, irrational majority)

But I admit to novice VIing skills.
    The end is nigh

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1 Gamma
    2 Delta
    3 Alpha
    4 Beta

***el X Mercenary
    TIM
    Te-ISTp
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great thread JuJu. For the record, I've never advocated VI as a sole means of typing individuals, but I do believe it is a very important facet of socionics. Just by observing body language, things like temperments or whether someone is -leading or ego, or neither, can often become clear.

A huge part of learning VI is making mistakes. And learning where you went wrong and should have got right. Nobody bypasses that part.

Even at the risk of being wrong, I will offer my own thoughts on the people in JuJu's "test."

Save for a few, I can't really get too confident a read on any of the people in pics 1 and 2, so I'll skip to 3. Usually more than one picture with different angles is required before I can start eliminating certain types with any sort of certainty.

Picture 3, from left to right: First guy strikes me as ILE-Ti, maybe EIE-Ni as a possible alternative, but still leaning strongly toward the first option. Girl is IEI-Ni. Other guy is LSI, unsure of subtype, leaning toward Ti.

Picture 4, left to right: Guy possibly EIE-Fe. Other guy ESE, unsure of subtype. Third guy, ILE-Ne. Last guy, SEI-Si.

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mimosa, DeAnte, Masterful Mischief, look.to.the.sky, Archon... several of my favorite people here have already answered...

look.to.the.sky, you're right--it's more about a "vibe" (sorry Steve for taking your word) you get from one's eyes than any particular facial/body feature... It's strange though--after awhile, you begin to notice certain 'stock appearances' e.g. "oh, that LSI looks a lot like another one..." on and on

I'll give the answer to the test tomorrow.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm with glamourama on this one. 1. reminds me of being at my sister-in-law's house - somewhere where I couldn't feel anymore out of place. 4. Reminds me of being with my best friend. 3. Is clearly Beta. 2. doesn't strike me in any particular way, so I would have to say that it's Delta by default. (Although one of the guys reminds me of an SLI friend I have.)

Jason

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JuJu View Post
    look.to.the.sky, you're right--it's more about a "vibe" (sorry Steve for taking your word)
    It's all good . I never coined it. Actually I think I remember first hearing Sarah use the word in this context and liked it. I think it was the people who were frustrated by my usage of it that first attributed it to me haha.

The man with the plan MasterfulMischief's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mimosa Pudica View Post
    1. "we are all well adjusted!"

2. "all have fun, now!!"

3. "are you looking for trouble?"

4. "we are almost letting go"
    haha basically.

I would answer but I already know the answer to several of those pics :x

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

delta
    beta
    gamma
    alpha

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by the interactional context:

alpha, alpha, gamma, alpha

Creepy-male

I think, niff, that we can all agreedulatify on the facterim that Jung was indubiticiously an ILI.

TIM
    NeFi
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gulanzon View Post
    I think, niff, that we can all agreedulatify on the facterim that Jung was indubiticiously an ILI.
    Please don't start that up again

Creepy-male

D: Sorry.

Mentioned
    224 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

VI is bullshit. Everyone agrees I look like a more attractive version of Jake Gyllenhaal but I'm clearly ILE.