I was reading this text below and I wonder how much of socionics theory is based on stereotypical thinking and projections by socionists. Personally I feel the basics of socionics does have merit. However there seems to be lot of "fluff" surrounding and these type descriptions here show the side of socionics that I feel is too subjective and misleading in many ways. As you can see it is based on personal opinions, stereotypical thinking and projection by the observer, they point it out at the bottom of the page.

For example what is striking to me as a beta and a IEI is that the description of betas can be seen as ambigious - half positive and half negative (I'm thinking of the SLE and IEI descriptions),while the descriptions for many other types are unambigiously positive. The delta descriptions are almost uniformly positive, only the SLI description maybe has a negative aspect when it describes the SLI as "emotionally cool". What makes a IEI "zany" where an IEE is "frivolous" for example? Why is SLE "demanding of others" while LSE's use "active involvement"?

I wonder how much people identify with these descriptions of their own types, and how much they agree with the descriptions of other types?

-----------------------------------------

Socionic Types and their Overal Moods

Types and their Overall Moods

Below are descriptions of the overall moods or impressions that the socionic types convey at a distance (read explanation at bottom of page).
ILE
Seeker
explorative; light-hearted and detached curiosity; focused on interests and ideas; usually upbeat and good-natured
SEI
Mediator
soft, helping; gentle smile; touch naturally; comfort oriented; sensual and expressive
ESE
Enthusiast
strong tastes and preferences; enthusiastic and forceful about likes and dislikes; socialites; emotionally involved; reflect values of community; large emotional range
LII
Analyst
detached critical analysis; clear and independent thought and worldviews; appearance of self-control
EIE
Actor
dramatism, restraint, alarm; purposeful emotions and purposeful involvement
LSI
Inspector
tough, serious, decisive, tough-minded, disciplined, controlling, firm, resolute; mistrustful; stand their ground
SLE
Conqueror
forceful; demanding of others; go-getters; not easily intimidated; ready for confrontation
IEI
Romantic
wacky, goofy, dreamy, zany; interested in people's inner experiences and where people are going with their emotional life; mix of joy and melancholy
SEE
Politician
flair, playfulness; socialites; physical center of attention; hands-on involvement in world around them
ILI
Critic
goofy; don't reveal their inner life; interested in processes; passive relaxedness; ironic attitude
LIE
Enterpriser
unbridled optimism; like movement; energetic; opportunistic; like to test limits; direct
ESI
Guardian
concerned about proper behavior; stand their ground; hard to convince; conservative views and methods
LSE
Director
always busy with projects; practical and skeptical; action oriented; professional; active involvement
EII
Empath
gentle but with firm principles; demonstrate positive attitude; willingness to share your world
IEE
Psychologist
playfulness; tinge of irony; acceptance; frivolous; warm curiosity about people and relationships
SLI
Craftsman
soft blankness; internal independence; hard to impress; not easily excited; emotionally cool
*Many thanks to Tom Loveday for helping formulate these type moods in August 2003 in Kiev. We obtained this list by looking through photos of people of each type and trying to catch what they had in common. There might be a bit of subjectivity in these descriptions, as we view other types from the position of our own and identify with some types better than others.

-------------------------------------------------