Thread: SLIs-ISTps: balance, temperance, and moderation

Hybrid View

Creepy-

Default SLIs-ISTps: balance, temperance, and moderation

Quote Originally Posted by The Socionist: Type Messages
    SLI - Balanced, harmonious living and temperance.
    SLIs, to what extent do you identify with this?

Are you naturally good at doing things in moderation?

Can you describe how you relate [or don't] when it comes to eating, drinking, working out, and/or generally pushing yourself?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For the most part I strive for balanced eating, drinking, working out and pushing myself... because I know that there's always another side of life that needs tending, so you really can't spend too much time improving just one aspect of it.

In action... well, I tend to be fine, except for maybe food

Creepy-

Quote Originally Posted by Pinball Wizard! View Post
    For the most part I strive for balanced eating, drinking, working out and pushing myself... because I know that there's always another side of life that needs tending, so you really can't spend too much time improving just one aspect of it.

In action... well, I tend to be fine, except for maybe food
    Thanks, Luis

You've said you get up in the mornings and go running - sprinting, right? Do you ever push yourself entirely too hard without really realizing/considering/caring about it as you're doing it?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by songofsappho View Post
    You've said you get up in the mornings and go running - sprinting, right? Do you ever push yourself entirely too hard without really realizing/considering/caring about it as you're doing it?
    Yeah I do sprint in the mornings, but if by "too hard" you mean I injure myself after or whatever, naw, I never push myself that hard. I basically try to sweat as much as I can by sprinting, but, I could never have the drive to like try and beat someone faster than me. I just push myself but not to the point of winding the shit out of me.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I pretty much do everything in moderation and have no trouble 'controlling' myself when it comes to food, drink, etc. Sometimes I go all out but those instances are few and far between. I think i'm very moderate in all I do. I don't think I could lose control of myself...

Creepy-

Quote Originally Posted by jessica129 View Post
    I pretty much do everything in moderation and have no trouble 'controlling' myself when it comes to food, drink, etc. Sometimes I go all out but those instances are few and far between. I think i'm very moderate in all I do. I don't think I could lose control of myself...
    Thank you - this is sort of the kind of answer I wondered if you guys would give.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinball Wizard! View Post
    Yeah I do sprint in the mornings, but if by "too hard" you mean I injure myself after or whatever, naw, I never push myself that hard. I basically try to sweat as much as I can by sprinting, but, I could never have the drive to like try and beat someone faster than me. I just push myself but not to the point of winding the shit out of me.
    Gotcha, thanks....

*seriously questioning my SLI-ness*
    Last edited by female; 03-16-2009 at 03:27 AM.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess it's that whole self-awarness thing...or something. Well...for me...I'm very sensitive to things disrupting my..."vibe"....so overeating, overdrinking, over exercising...nah...I can't do it.

What type are you considering?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Meh. I wouldn't use that as much ammo to question your type. The ones I've known didn't appear to be moderating either the pot or the alcohol... or the harder stuff for that matter. I think it depends more on what circle you run with.
    IEE

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I follow the maxim of "Moderation in all things - including moderation."

I strive to keep myself balanced, but I also know that things are going to get out of whack no matter what due to circumstances out of my control or because I've been paying too much attention elsewhere and neglecting something for just long enough to tip things over. So, I'm pretty indulgent in many cases, and sometimes I'm a little over-strict as if to make up for it. For example, I'll eat four cookies instead of one, and then the next day I'll kick my ass in the gym. Doesn't really equal out, but I also like the contrast that going outside the boundaries lends to the time I do spend in my own little "zone."

It's also interested me to notice that a lot of people describe themselves as having addictive personalities, but I never hear anyone saying they have the opposite. Well, I do. I've picked up smoking cigarettes at least a handful of times, and after several months or a year or two, I'll quit again. And it's not a big deal. The last time I quit was March of 2008 (so hey! a year ago!), and I could see myself picking it back up again if I really felt like I wanted a cigarette.

Same thing with pot - it's not considered physically addictive, but I've seen it be very strongly psychologically addictive for several people I've known personally. I recently bought a car, so I cut out some extra expenses while I figured out the effects on my general budget, and that included no pot for two months. Now I've started back again, and I'm so happy to have it back in my life, but it really wasn't that big of a deal to not have it around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Bukowski
    We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing.
    SLI