Quote Originally Posted by Rick
He thinks that people who are crossed between judging and perceiving are constantly fighting between using the rational and irrational funcitons. When they are in their perceiving mode, they get anxious, believing that they should be judging something. When they are in judgement, they try and perceive the other possibilities and tangents again. Sort of like feeling uncomfortable if you spend too much time in either one.
Oh... hm... I had the impression that this idea of crosstypes was a sort of 'super-human' state that transcends type. I don't buy that, but then I am a rather materialistic thinker.
Not at all. The penalties of crosstype to unconscious functions can be extreme. For example, Einstein's F never developed. The obsession with finding a middle ground at all times could be said to have completely subjugated his ability to relate to people on a "feeler's" level. In basic typed thinkers this ability matures at mid-life crisis. (as you may have heard...?) But in a genius/archetypally appraising mind the fifth function takes on the role of the eighth. (because the eighth doesn't exist) This is why so few people understood him.

There are great intellectuals in history who have been understood far better.