Thread: Deltas: what makes you feel alive?

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by UDP
    Sure, I understand that.

I wasn't asking about what emotionally moves you - "high emotional content". I don't like that much myself. But that is not what I think of when I feel alive. It's more a vitality, an experiencing sort of thing. It's more a sense of doing something, I suppose, rather than . I particularly don't like feeling emotionally drained, so I don't seek out "emotions". But I'm also not afraid of letting go as I once was, either.

I have my states of zen and not needing to rejoice. But sometimes I like to shout, too. Sometimes I will smile when I see a pretty sunset, and that's feeling alive to me. Or sometimes I just bask in understanding, in knowing something, or in learning something - seeing a bit of the truth before me. But as I said, I will cheer during a sports match, or be amazed by a great play. I will sing to songs I like, too. And when I don't feel like doing any of that, I don't.
    Ok, what causes me pleasure is taking a step back and enjoying the show, whatever the show is, and understanding myself and my work in a larger context. When I observe that I have managed to avert some ill situation by correct action and that everything is just fine without me having to push for something. That's good. To notice that I have options, to be in some way reminded of the fact that I'm fundamentally free.
    First eliminate every possible source of error. Thence success is inevitable.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Smilingeyes View Post
    Ok, what causes me pleasure is taking a step back and enjoying the show, whatever the show is, and understanding myself and my work in a larger context. When I observe that I have managed to avert some ill situation by correct action and that everything is just fine without me having to push for something. That's good. To notice that I have options, to be in some way reminded of the fact that I'm fundamentally free.
    sorry, but just sitting in a chair going "i'm free" with a smile on my face won't cut the mustard for me.
    "Those who make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities..."

- Voltaire

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LokiVanguard View Post
    sorry, but just sitting in a chair going "i'm free" with a smile on my face won't cut the mustard for me.
    No apology needed. It's not supposed to be your cup of tea. It's mine.
    First eliminate every possible source of error. Thence success is inevitable.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LokiVanguard View Post
    lol

Wait - have you tried it, before you knocked it?
    Posts I wrote in the past contain less nuance.
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~an extraverted consciousness is unable to believe in invisible forces.
    ~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Most recent thing that made me feel really alive was when I bought a bouquet of flowers for a friend. Not a big deal, just sort of a joke apology for being a few minutes late. She was bouncing around for the next three hours she was that happy. Told me that I was the only guy who ever did nice things like that for her. Just little things like that, y'know? Brightening a friend's life for a while. That is why I'm alive.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Funerals or memorial services. No joke.
    INFj

Creepy-Cyclops

Hi Smilex. Hmm, is there simple pleasures in life which make you feel alive?

Yeah I suppose this alive thing is a bit open to interpretations, but hopefully you can see were it's coming from a little?

But like, if you're going on holiday, or somewhere new, do you get a buzz even when you're just sitting at the airport waiting for your journey to start, feeling damn fresh and fine with new clothes on and feeling healthy from looking after yourself for a while for your holiday, that sort of stuff? Or even just something booked at the last minute off the cuff?

Or like going out for a meal on a Saturday afternoon, you've got the weekend off. You're chilling eating food enjoying the company, living entirely in the moment... Monday still feels like a forever away.

An ESTj I know looked forward to going on ski-ing holidays.

Dunno. I could be way off base here, but I find it easy to get stuck in a rut of half-existance. For me, my INFj friend tends to suggest new things, and my LSE friend tends to suggest new things, but for different reasons. My LSE friend has to engage the world more so in an "extravert" type of way.

Doing something different, or taking time out to do something simple, or taking some time out to do nothing, I think can be pretty darn good.

With doing something different, different things, or things I only do once every so often, what is weird for me is that I don't often realise I need to do it, but then I get a nudge from someone and when I do it it feels great, and I spend a long time reflecting back on that experience and learning from it.

As an LSE female I used to work with long ago, she was a real stickler for people coming into work regardless of what circumstance was going on in their private life or their own health situation (I had a blazing row with her once, when she didn't want me taking time off over something unexpected in the family happening haha, .. anyway I digress) but even she would say, "everyone needs their holidays, everyone needs to take time to re-charge their batteries." She would usually go away doing something different during hers. I suppose this was her feel alive times.
    Last edited by Cyclops; 01-28-2009 at 11:22 AM.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    197 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I relate to this more than anyone would think. And it's very well put, it fits me as it is, wouldn't change a word.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.