Thread: Type Hype

Hybrid View

Creepy-

Quote Originally Posted by rmcnew View Post
    You can become ESFj or ENFj ... You would simply need to develop those functions that make an ESFj or ENFj, and use them. The problem is that most people are unaware as to how to develop the functions that conflict with the ones they have always tended to use.
    That sounds like acting like, rather than being, a different type. To truly change type, I [anyone] would have to change everything from functional proficiency and usage, to preferences for friends/companions/etc. You're saying intertype relations would flip? And imo such drastic changes in preferences for companions are even less likely to happen than the development of weak functions to the point where a person enjoys and is good at using them.

It is a thing called "invincibility" ... and by that I mean that you can ultimately assert your will, adapt to the types of others and be ultimately be indestructible to the efforts of others to assert their will over you. Your type, by definition, is your way of asserting your will afterall. This much makes sense to about anyone.
    Invincibility? That seems like a bit of a lofty goal... in any event I think it's probably more likely to be achieved by developing natural strengths and improving and/or coming to terms with perceived weaknesses.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by songofsappho View Post
    That sounds like acting like, rather than being, a different type. To truly change type, I [anyone] would have to change everything from their functional proficiency and usage, to their preferences for friends/companions/etc. And imo that is even less likely to happen than is the development weak functions to the point where a person enjoys and is good at using them.
    You would first begin by stopping yourself from using the Super-Id functions to compensate for weakness, and to begin to develop you ROLE and PoLR functions with the help of someone proficient in those functions. This is difficult, because you realize that this means temporarily loseing your ability to assert your will over your surroundings. You become like a student, and are perceived to be functionally a child by the teacher of the function. However, this is how you learn to use conflicting functions. The only way that I know how to do it, anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by songofsappho View Post
    Invincibility? That seems like a bit of a lofty goal... in any event I think it's probably more likely to be achieved by developing natural strengths and improving and/or coming to terms with perceived weaknesses.
    If you mean developing your perceived fixed type with your ego further and compensating for weakness through the Super-Id, you will just become more proficent with the type you have been fixed to and delay learning other functions. However, for some people I suppose it is their life mission to just use certain functions all their life. That is not for me.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What you're describing isn't changing yourself, it's changing your interpretation of the world. I've also noticed this happening as I become more proficient in socionics. But I am only looking at the world differently, and once I come onto a new circumstance I again revert to my base mode of processing with which I viewed the world differently to begin with

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by crazedrat View Post
    What you're describing isn't changing yourself, it's changing your interpretation of the world.
    It could mean changing the interpretation of your surrounding, but often times changing the interpretation of your surroundings is the essential ingredient in taking the right course of action.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It could mean changing the interpretation of your surrounding, but often times changing the interpretation of your surroundings is the essential ingredient in taking the right course of action.
    And in many ways socionics can make people more effective in dealing with the world, I agree.

If you have any new ideas on socionics I'll be sure to check them out once you publish them.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The occult may very well have everything to do with metaphysics (I wouldn't know), but metaphysics doesn't have everything to do with the occult.. Get it?
    Yes, just like "theology" mixed with "metaphysics of the mind" does not exactly equal each other either. However, "metaphysics of the mind" has not always been known to be an entirely open art accessible to just anyone. Some key information always gets held back for whatever reason. I think this "key information" is being held back in the case of socionics as well.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, just like "theology" mixed with "metaphysics of the mind" does not exactly equal each other either. However, "metaphysics of the mind" has not always been known to be an entirely open art accessible to just anyone. Some key information always gets held back for whatever reason. I think this "key information" is being held back in the case of socionics as well.
    What you're saying is the metaphysics of socionics is incomplete. Yes, you're right. But that's really a very simple thing to say.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by crazedrat View Post
    What you're saying is the metaphysics of socionics is incomplete. Yes, you're right. But that's really a very simple thing to say.
    And that goes back to your original point, it is difficult to talk about. What I am saying is that I think I have found the key, and I am going to bring it to light.

Creepy-

You would first begin by stopping yourself from using the Super-Id functions to compensate for weakness, and to begin to develop you ROLE and PoLR functions with the help of someone proficient in those functions. This is difficult, because you realize that this means temporarily loseing your ability to assert your will over your surroundings. You become like a student, and are perceived to be functionally a child by the teacher of the function. However, this is how you learn to use conflicting functions. The only way that I know how to do it, anyways.

If you mean developing your perceived fixed type with your ego further and compensating for weakness through the Super-Id, you will just become more proficent with the type you have been fixed to and delay learning other functions. However, for some people I suppose it is their life mission to just use certain functions all their life. That is not for me.

That is just not appetizing to me at all.

You seem to be implying that in developing what are originally your weak functions, you are not also losing proficiency in what are originally your strong functions. If this is the case, it still seems like you are not actually changing types... you're just becoming, in theory, a hyper-evolved SUPER type.

Creepy-

This is interesting because a long time ago I asked a question here about whether someone who was well-rounded/had worked a lot on self-development would be harder to type, and that topic was recently brought up again. This seems to be along those same lines....

I think you may have a point about learning to use - or at least become more comfortable with - weak functions, but I am very skeptical of the possibility that a person can switch types altogether.