I think one of the things I was trying to say is that... when I was introduced to the theory of evolution I didn't see it really in the context of something to "believe" or "disbelieve," but more that it is the current scientific understanding of something. I would have the same attitude in astronomy class. It's a matter of 'we have some evidence, and these are the places it leads to, the conclusions that we can draw based on what is available.'

So in this way it is not about "believing in it" or not. I think that the matter of what we believe is important and it would be good in a philosophy class. In such a class you could bring up scientific theories, intelligent design, creationism, mountain trolls, and really anything you want. This would be a context about what we believe (which is not the context I see in a science class). Science is seeking truth in a sense, but it's seeking truth off of evidence... it can't be subjected to the realm of what we want to believe or don't want to believe because that would destroy it. Logical conclusions based on evidence are just that, and they can't be warped to make allowances for what people like and don't like about them... otherwise it will grow weak and sag and fall apart and not be science anymore.

Anyway, this brings my thoughts to ethics, which is something that does need to have a place somewhere with science... because just because we find we can do something doesn't always mean we should. I guess why I brought this up is because I'm not saying that scientific progress should be paramount to *everything else*. Though I can understand the attitude that it should be. Questions of this nature are why ethics are important when it comes to science. And philosophy is important too. It's just that Creationism travels into the realm of "what we believe" and enters spirituality. Science does not exist in that realm necessarily and should not have to answer to it in any way.

You could say maybe one day science and spirituality will meet more. But when things meet they must be allowed to be as they truly are, not phased out compromises that have no identity of their own.