View Poll Results: Which should be taught in public schools?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Evolution only

7 19.44%
  • Creationism only

2 5.56%
  • Both evolution and creationism on even ground, as science

4 11.11%
  • Evolution as science, creationism as a social study alongside other myths

17 47.22%
  • Don't know enough to have an opinion/Don't care

2 5.56%
  • I believe they're essentially the same thing anyway

4 11.11%
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Evolution vs Creation in public schools

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dbmmama View Post
    and yet, the same can be said for the opposite type people. those that devalue "god" or "whatever" without understanding it and yet continue to enjoy the benefits of it's application. lol
    No. The same thing can not be said about the opposite end of people. One side is objectively right (Expat's side), and the other side is objectively wrong (your side).

Quote Originally Posted by dbmmama
    why can't both be true at the same time then? rhetorical! cause i need to go...
    Your idiocy is unacceptable. Your way of thinking is objectively evil.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Minde View Post
    I will say this, though - So long as you call faith in intelligent design a "cop-out" you are insulting my integrity.
    So long as you believe in intelligent design you are an insult to humanity and intelligence in general. You are insulting me with your idiotic beliefs and your disgustingly brainwashed way of thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Minde
    I don't mind insults from people like Phaedrus because, well, it's Phaedrus.
    But I mind insults from idiots with no mind(e). As I have already stated, your way of thinking is evil, and you are an evil person. Your stance is unacceptable and should be severely criticized and furiously attacked.

That's the way he is and since he doesn't seem to have much power I don't take him too seriously or worry too much about him. But, this coming from you, someone I respect and like... It does hurt a bit.
    It's good that you feel hurt. That's a means to knowing that something is wrong with you. You should start to question your world view and its premises. You are objectively wrong, and that's bad.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Evidently, having religious conviction is enough to get one accused of having such a "backward approach to science."
    Yes, it is.

It's that mindset that bugs the willies out of me.
    Good. Having religious beliefs is inconsistent with having a correct scientific approach and way of thinking. You are wrong and you are evil if you think like you do now.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But there's a balance to be found, especially when contrary reality intrudes upon the preconceptions. Like in this case. Where someone can indeed be both creationist and scientist.
    If you are a creationist you can be nothing else than a charlatan. A creationist cannot be a serious scientist. Every creationist is necessarily deluded.

Hacking your soul since the beginning of time Hitta's Avatar
    Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
    Yes, I certainly know what the word "objective" means. I am an expert on philosophical concepts, and more or less an expert on other concepts as well. You, however, definitely don't know the meaning of that word.

Here you repeat all the mistakes that past philosophers have made for centuries. Your thinking is so muddled that it isn't worth the effort to try to explain to you where you are thinking incorrectly.

That question is also irrelevant. You asked me to name an objective truth, and that's exactly what I did when I said that the Moon is not a Gorgonzola cheeze.
    The word Objective means something that is "mind independent". If you don't know if your perception of what reality is is correct, or if you don't know if your senses are accurate, how would you know if the moon isn't made of Gorgonzola cheese independent of your mind.
    Model X Will Save Us!

*randomwarelinkremoved

jessica129:scrotums r hot

:" hitting cap makes me envision cervix smashing"

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hitta
    The word Objective means something that is "mind independent". If you don't know if your perception of what reality is is correct, or if you don't know if your senses are accurate, how would you know if the moon isn't made of Gorgonzola cheese independent of your mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by relativist fallacy
    The relativist fallacy, also known as the subjectivist fallacy, is a formal fallacy committed, roughly speaking, when one person claims that something may be true for one person but not true for someone else. The fallacy is supposed to rest on the law of non-contradiction. The fallacy, it is said, applies only to objective facts, or what are alleged to be objective facts, rather than to facts about personal tastes or subjective experiences, and only to facts regarded in the same sense and at the same time. On this formulation, the very name "relativist fallacy" begs the question against anyone who earnestly (however mistakenly or not) holds that there are no "objective facts." So some more work has to be done, in a non-question-begging way, to make it clear wherein, exactly, the fallacy lies.
    1. To advocate relativism, even some sophisticated relativism, is to commit the relativist fallacy.
    2. If one commits a fallacy, one says something false or not worth serious consideration.
    3. Therefore, to advocate relativism, even some sophisticated relativism, is to say something false or not worth serious consideration.
    shut up
    4w3-5w6-8w7

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by strrrng View Post
    shut up
    Though in general is based on assumptions. It is impossible to think without making a categorical assumption or a logical fallacy. Of course its a fallacy to think everything is relativistic, its also a fallacy to think that relativism is a fallacy. Everything that I'm saying here is a logical fallacy(even the last sentence).

Human perception is a system of categorical thoughts, assuming what reality is and how reality is(yes this is a logical fallacy). Perception is basically an assumption. Descartes said "I think therefore I am".
    Model X Will Save Us!

*randomwarelinkremoved

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Though in general is based on assumptions. It is impossible to think without making a categorical assumption or a logical fallacy. Of course its a fallacy to think everything is relativistic, its also a fallacy to think that relativism is a fallacy. Everything that I'm saying here is a logical fallacy(even the last sentence).

Human perception is a system of categorical thoughts, assuming what reality is and how reality is(yes this is a logical fallacy). Perception is basically an assumption. Descartes said "I think therefore I am".
    lol
    4w3-5w6-8w7

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    507 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

For anyone who would be interested, here's a site made by a relatively prominent group of creationist scientists that puts forth various evidences that point to creation.
    That site claims that nothing preceded God because God created Time...this does not demonstrate 'beyond a reasonable doubt' that God created the Universe...

I could say that before the Universe began, there was no Space, Time, or Matter, therefore anything before the Big Bang doesn't matter, and clearly the Universe created itself.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting website minde. I find that some of these claims, though, should take into account the antropic principle before referring to God. If there wasn't an intelligent design, how could humans claim that there was an intelligent design? They couldn't, because a nonsuitable universe wouldn't have supported human life. Conversely, an universe that supports uman life is tautologically "Intelligently" designed, given that otherwise we could not observe it.

A great and quick book on the matter, which I advise to everybody, is Ervin Laszlo's "Evolution". It explains well how in an universe where entropy is ever-increasing there can be so many entropy-decreasing systems organized in very complex ways, from galaxies to our brain to human society. I especially reccomend this book to whoever thinks that it is hard to believe that the casual evolutionary process which is often attributed to the Darwinian theory can construct something like homo sapiens: it's because evolution is not casual.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antropic_principle

http://www.amazon.com/Evolution-Gran.../dp/0877733899

This said, I think that Creationism is excessively intertwined with religion to be safely taught at school in an environment which is progressively becoming more international and more open to people coming from very diverse backgrounds.
    Last edited by FDG; 09-15-2008 at 01:04 PM.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

lol
    What I find funny is that when I say that on stickam, you and Ashton say that it has no practicality or whatever(which I don't particularly agree with), and then when I try to use
    "practical" logic Ashton brings up Epistemological fallacy, which is basically the same thing as truth relativism. You sit there and concur with him.
    Model X Will Save Us!

*randomwarelinkremoved

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hitta View Post
    It is impossible to think without making a categorical assumption or a logical fallacy.
    Finally you realize something important about yourself ...

Of course its a fallacy to think everything is relativistic,
    Yes.

its also a fallacy to think that relativism is a fallacy.
    No.

Everything that I'm saying here is a logical fallacy (even the last sentence).
    Yes.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I struggle to see any remote value which hitta's extreme relativistic views could possibly have.
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What I find funny is that when I say that on stickam, you and Ashton say that it has no practicality or whatever(which I don't particularly agree with), and then when I try to use
    "practical" logic Ashton brings up Epistemological fallacy, which is basically the same thing as truth relativism. You sit there and concur with him.
    No, you clown. Do not try to skew the situation to mitigate your pathetic ego. First of all, most of the time in stickam, EVERYONE corrects you on your relativistic bs. That being said, I have no fucking clue what you mean by "practical logic," but whenever you bring something up regarding epistemology, it typically revolves around the theme of not being able to truly know anything (the epistemological fallacy deals with treating all phenomena as something dependent on our idea/theory about it), which EVERYONE corrects you on again. The order in which people bring it up and agree is irrelevant, as everyone sees the stupidity of your claims.

Oh yeah, and don't pretend like Ashton and I are some tag team. He would tell you himself (and many others would agree, too) that I have single-handedly proved your arguments wrong time and time again, leaving you there to rationalize with your vacuous TiNe crap.

So fuck off with the lies, buddy.
    4w3-5w6-8w7

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I struggle to see any remote value which hitta's extreme relativistic views could possibly have.
    That's because they have absolutely no value. He just professes them to make himself feel and appear smart. It's all empty, though.
    4w3-5w6-8w7

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Logos View Post
    No. His view seems to be "there's no way to prove anything 100%, so there's no point in looking at what scientific evidence we DO have." I think that's just plain foolish. Which is fine for any one person choosing for his/her particular life, but it had better not be taught to my kid. I want her to learn real science. I don't send her to school to learn to disregard scientific evidence just because we can't get absolute proof of anything. There's enough solid scientific evidence there to work with, and that's what she needs.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

... What an utterly pointless struggle ...

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Slacker Mom
    No. His view seems to be "there's no way to prove anything 100%, so there's no point in looking at what scientific evidence we DO have." I think that's just plain foolish. Which is fine for any one person choosing for his/her particular life, but it had better not be taught to my kid. I want her to learn real science. I don't send her to school to learn to disregard scientific evidence just because we can't get absolute proof of anything. There's enough solid scientific evidence there to work with, and that's what she needs.
    Agreed. Too bad hitta can't see how inherently contradictory his position is (or maybe he can, and rationalizes with the idea that everything is contradictory lol).
    4w3-5w6-8w7

TIM
    ISXj
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think it really matters. Currently, there is no way to be 100% certain, so why not just let the matter rest.
    If choosing to have faith and believe in a Higher power is what brings peace to some people, then so be it.
    If wrapping oneself up in scientific explanations is what makes the most sense to others, then so be it.
    But really, I don't see how it matters.
    Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves.
    John Muir

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by calenwen View Post
    I don't think it really matters. Currently, there is no way to be 100% certain, so why not just let the matter rest.
    If choosing to have faith and believe in a Higher power is what brings peace to some people, then so be it.
    If wrapping oneself up in scientific explanations is what makes the most sense to others, then so be it.
    What is taught in public school matters. Scientific evidence very strongly points in one direction, and it's ridiculous to not teach that.

What people choose to believe personally doesn't matter to me. What they want to teach my kid DOES matter very much to me.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

TIM
    ISXj
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Slacker Mom View Post
    What is taught in public school matters. Scientific evidence very strongly points in one direction, and it's ridiculous to not teach that.

What people choose to believe personally doesn't matter to me. What they want to teach my kid DOES matter very much to me.
    Currently public schools are teaching in accordance with your beliefs, are they not?
    Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves.
    John Muir

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

If you can't see that what is a valuable thing is dependent on the person, you are missing my point completely. People have a theoretical framework in which they live by, which values certain things over others. This is a "logical fallacy" or what Ashton calls an "Epistemological Fallacy"(though he only uses it in certain situations). Practicality is a human made concept that has no certifiable objectivity to it. There are always more possibilities, more ways to look at something.
    Model X Will Save Us!

*randomwarelinkremoved

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Currently public schools are teaching in accordance with your beliefs, are they not?
    Yes but things are moving toward a change. When I was a kid, the idea of creationism being taught in schools was a joke. Really - people would laugh and think it was ridiculous that we'd even be having this discussion. Now people seriously discuss it and give arguments as to why it should happen.
    -Mark Twain

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by calenwen
    We can't have 100% certainty on stuff, so let's just give up. Eternally bound to schroedinger's cat, boohoo.

Stop being such a lazy ISFp.
    4w3-5w6-8w7

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you can't see that what is a valuable thing is dependent on the person, you are missing my point completely. People have a theoretical framework in which they live by, which values certain things over others. This is a "logical fallacy" or what Ashton calls an "Epistemological Fallacy"(though he only uses it in certain situations). Practicality is a human made concept that has no certifiable objectivity to it. There are always more possibilities, more ways to look at something.
    I look forward to the day when you surmount this philosophical roadblock.

Until then, I will continue to criticize your arguments and insult you at random intervals.

Or maybe you will never get past it, and will die in agnostic doubt.

Whatever.
    4w3-5w6-8w7

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, you idiot. It is 100 % certain that there are currently no evidence for intelligent design and that there no good arguments for it either. It is also 100 % certain that hitta's arguments are totally false and logically incoherent. You take an immoral stance on this matter if you let it rest.

No, then they are brainwashed idiots. It is irrelevant that they may find peace in superstitions.

You don't see that it matters because you haven't studied the moral consequences of different ethical positions, and you don't realize what's at stake. You have a lot of study to do before you get a correct overall picture of what it's all about.

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I look forward to the day when you surmount this philosophical roadblock.

Until then, I will continue to criticize your arguments and insult you at random intervals.

Or maybe you will never get past it, and will die in agnostic doubt.

Whatever.
    Just because I accept something doesn't make it correct. Another thing is I'm not denying the existence of absolute truth, I'm merely saying that human knowledge is possibly limited. We assume that this reality is "truth", that 2+2=4. There are infinite possibilities though, things that we can't even fathom. And until we can see everything(though its a fallacy to think of truth in the terms I'm using, or to even think of it as truth) we are possibly clueless as to whether we have truth or not.

Reality to me feels paradoxical or illusionary. To be honest, reality is all I know, and yet I feel as if reality isn't truth. I essentially want to take space and pull it apart with my hands and stick my head through. I want to see something where things actually make sense. I essentially want to be entirely divine; entirely special. I want to transcend this world, and become supreme and all knowing. I want to feel like I have all the answers to everything, to all the paradoxes and the mysteries of everything beyond this perception.

I enjoy life. I enjoy sensual pleasures just like most people I would think would; but I'm entirely open and hoping that there is something out there that defies existence and defies what I hope is an illusion, and become something truly important. You can keep masturbating to your practicality all you want.
    Model X Will Save Us!

*randomwarelinkremoved

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

... What an utterly pointless struggle ...
    Such a philosophy is incapable of producing anything.
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Topics like these will go no where.
    -_-
    INTp
    sx/sp

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Such a philosophy is incapable of producing anything.
    "Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods." ~ Einstein
    Model X Will Save Us!

*randomwarelinkremoved

TIM
    ISXj
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, you idiot. It is 100 % certain that there are currently no evidence for intelligent design and that there no good arguments for it either. It is also 100 % certain that hitta's arguments are totally false and logically incoherent. You take an immoral stance on this matter if you let it rest.

No, then they are brainwashed idiots. It is irrelevant that they may find peace in superstitions.

You don't see that it matters because you haven't studied the moral consequences of different ethical positions, and you don't realize what's at stake. You have a lot of study to do before you get a correct overall picture of what it's all about.
    what would appease you?
    John Muir

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Phaedrus is blind to the possibilities of our existence.
    Model X Will Save Us!

*randomwarelinkremoved

TIM
    ISXj
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We can't have 100% certainty on stuff, so let's just give up. Eternally bound to schroedinger's cat, boohoo.

Stop being such a lazy ISFp.
    Giving up and letting a matter rest are quite different.
    Not everything can be attributed to type. In fact, most things cannot. I merely see the futileness of threads such as these and I sigh. Next time I will know better than to get involved.

PS - It's spelled Schrödinger.
    John Muir

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just because I accept something doesn't make it correct. Another thing is I'm not denying the existence of absolute truth, I'm merely saying that human knowledge is possibly limited. We assume that this reality is "truth", that 2+2=4. There are infinite possibilities though, things that we can't even fathom. And until we can see everything(though its a fallacy to think of truth in the terms I'm using, or to even think of it as truth) we are possibly clueless as to whether we have truth or not.

Reality to me feels paradoxical or illusionary. To be honest, reality is all I know, and yet I feel as if reality isn't truth. I essentially want to take space and pull it apart with my hands and stick my head through. I want to see something where things actually make sense. I essentially want to be entirely divine; entirely special. I want to transcend this world, and become supreme and all knowing. I want to feel like I have all the answers to everything, to all the paradoxes and the mysteries of everything beyond this perception.

I enjoy life. I enjoy sensual pleasures just like most people I would think would; but I'm entirely open and hoping that there is something out there that defies existence and defies what I hope is an illusion, and become something truly important. You can keep masturbating to your practicality all you want.
    Why do you keep reiterating your position to me lol? I am well aware of where you stand, and I don't value your proposals, for the most part. They are only useful on the most abstract, speculative level. If you're content with that, fine. But don't keep bothering me with them, merely rephrasing the syntax to make it seem better or more convincing lol.
    4w3-5w6-8w7

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

PS - It's spelled Schrödinger.
    "oe" replaces o with an umlaut if your keyboard doesn't do that.
    -Mark Twain

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Why do you keep reiterating your position to me lol? I am well aware of where you stand, and I don't value your proposals, for the most part. They are only useful on the most abstract, speculative level. If you're content with that, fine. But don't keep bothering me with them, merely rephrasing the syntax to make it seem better or more convincing lol.
    I can do anything I want. *spits*

Besides, all I hear you do is reiterate your positions on everyone's enneagram types.
    Model X Will Save Us!

*randomwarelinkremoved

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what would appease you?
    That people ceased to defend superstitions, mumbo jumbo, and obviously false ideas.

TIM
    ISXj
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That people ceased to defend superstitions, mumbo jumbo, and obviously false ideas.
    I'm afraid you will never be appeased. How do you plan to reconcile with this?
    John Muir

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can do anything I want. *spits*

Besides, all I hear you do is reiterate your positions on everyone's enneagram types.
    You're a cp6w5 so/sp lol.
    4w3-5w6-8w7

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Subterranean View Post
    That site claims that nothing preceded God because God created Time...this does not demonstrate 'beyond a reasonable doubt' that God created the Universe...

I could say that before the Universe began, there was no Space,Time, or Matter, therefore anything before the Big Bang doesn't matter, and clearly the Universe created itself.
    The concepts of "preceded" and "before" require Time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Logos
    Holy mud-wrestling bipolar donkeys, Batman!

Retired from posting and drawing Social Security. E-mail or PM to contact.

I pity your souls

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast