Thread: Parenting and type (Se vs Si valuing)

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

some of this is clearly generational. stuff my parents got away with we would never get away with these days....it wouldn't be tolerated by the community. child protection would be called! hahahaha but yeah my parents are EII and LSE and pretty laid back. hands-off, permissive, laissez faire whatever you want to call it. we basically did what we wanted...and got into trouble as a result. on the other hand me and my sibs developed a pretty high level of independence also as a result.

as for myself....dunno really if i want to put myself in much of a category. i'm more strict than my parents were. mostly i believe in having good communication with my kids and i try to help them make sense of themselves and the things they go through with school, friends, sports, activities, etc. secondly, i have high expectations of them. i expect them to pitch in, do their homework, treat people with respect, follow the minimal rules i have which include not watching Family Guy. i expect compliance with what i ask them to do. i also try to give them choices about things....like, yeah you're going to clean, either you can dust or vacuum. LOL can you tell i hate housework? i usually spend at least one day out of the weekend taking them out to something they would enjoy or getting a movie they would like or something like that. and yes we are going to church. they can miss one sunday a month. if they get money, they have to save half of it...the other half they can spend as they wish.

my SLE ex, who is a full 50% parenting partner, sees things very similar to the way i do. we rarely disagree about the kids. he tolerates them watching more TV than i do, but other than that....we see things the same way.

so, i can't really comment about Se/Si dominance, since i'm Si valuing and he's Se, but i think overall we take a Ti approach to parenting. freedom within static guidelines.

ILE

those who are easily shocked.....should be shocked more often

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blaze View Post
    freedom within static guidelines.
    i like this. hubby and i heard a phrase before kids that we liked. "if it's not life threatening or morally threatening, go for it." yeah, family guy would be in my morally threatening category too.