Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Gammas and the Ad Hominem fallacy

Jesus is the cruel sausage consentingadult's Avatar
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This thread has grown a little bit to long for me to repond. Not really needed anyway, positions have been made clear, many of us will probably not come to some understanding, we probably won't even agree to disagree. So be it.

If anyone feels a serious need to discuss this matter in more detail and in a respectful manner, you'll know how to find me.
    “I have never tried that before, so I think I should definitely be able to do that.” --- Pippi Longstocking

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    It doesn't take a genius to work out that there is a group of bullies-a heirarchy if you will, of people who look to control socionics and it's interpretation of it on this forum. When someone steps out of line with that on this forum they are belittled, ostracized, ridiculed even, passively or not so passive aggressively attacked.

Although why they act that way, I don't know fully, and how some people can align themselves to it, makes me wonder, do they really believe, or are they just afraid and looking to fit in.

It's like the kids at school too busy trying to be someone else identity than express their own, or the guy that buys his boss a paper and a coffee every morning while on his way to work. These people exist in many places, and I know we all have to "fit in" to some degree, but how much and at what cost?
    This is a pretty telling post.

Quote Originally Posted by consentingadult View Post
    Not in this case. Expat is covering up for the fact that he is not as knowledgeable as many people believe. Now that isnot his fault, his fault is that he basks in on this glory, and even goes so far that he belittles me in a very clever way in order to maintain that position.
    This perception still confuses me. I have no idea where you're getting this idea, but I dare say that Expat is one of the people I understand best on the forum, and you're way off. But if believing this makes you feel better somehow, knock yourself out.
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    It doesn't take a genius to work out that there is a group of bullies-a heirarchy if you will, of people who look to control socionics and it's interpretation of it on this forum. When someone steps out of line with that on this forum they are belittled, ostracized, ridiculed even, passively or not so passive aggressively attacked.

Although why they act that way, I don't know fully, and how some people can align themselves to it, makes me wonder, do they really believe, or are they just afraid and looking to fit in.

It's like the kids at school too busy trying to be someone else identity than express their own, or the guy that buys his boss a paper and a coffee every morning while on his way to work. These people exist in many places, and I know we all have to "fit in" to some degree, but how much and at what cost?
    You know, sometimes people just agree.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Slacker Mom View Post
    You know, sometimes people just agree.
    Yes, and there's a reason for it.
    SEE

Banned
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not in this case. Expat is covering up for the fact that he is not as knowledgeable as many people believe.
    Actually -- and I'm not being facetious -- Expat is probably more knowledgeable than many people believe.

Let's see:
    1. He's fluent in English, Portuguese, and German.
    2. He has a Ph.D. in chemical engineering.
    3. He has extensive knowledge on such things as history, economics, politics. He could probably teach these subjects, from what I've seen.
    4. He knows more about Socionics than most people who are alive.
    5. While you may scoff at this, he knows vast amounts of stuff about comic book pop culture, movies, science fiction, etc.

I'm telling you, the guy has an encyclopedia in his head.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by discojoe View Post
    And he has no pride or insecurity about his level of knowledge. It's just business as usual to him.
    SEE

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

(And I can understand why some people/types would find this unpalatable and try to see it as some kind of symptom or call him a bully.)
    SEE

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joy View Post
    Yes, and there's a reason for it.
    And obviously the reason is conformity.
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Logos View Post
    And obviously the reason is conformity.

And here I thought is was because it makes it easier to gain up on people who we wish to be punitive to.
    SEE

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And here I thought is was because it makes it easier to gain up on people who we wish to be punitive to.
    Because they want to conform and not be ganged up on themselves.
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Bale View Post
    No, as you have not been satisfactorily belittled yet.

It is clear that if you cannot create a new identity that you should accept yourself as you are, warts and all.

You should not belittle others in order to make yourself feel important unless you are exceptionally talented.

Only one individual in every generation has this gift, and I know that this individual is not you.
    Eh well, I don't think you're in position to draw that assertion.

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    507 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tcaudilllg View Post
    Eh well, I don't think you're in position to draw that assertion.
    Uh well, he is one of the greatest actors to have ever lived, if not THE greatest.

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by discojoe View Post
    Actually -- and I'm not being facetious -- Expat is probably more knowledgeable than many people believe.

Let's see:
    1. He's fluent in English, Portuguese, and German.
    2. He has a Ph.D. in chemical engineering.
    3. He has extensive knowledge on such things as history, economics, politics. He could probably teach these subjects, from what I've seen.
    4. He knows more about Socionics than most people who are alive.
    5. While you may scoff at this, he knows vast amounts of stuff about comic book pop culture, movies, science fiction, etc.

1. I'm fluent in Dutch, English and German, average in French, and I can manage in Spanish and Italian
    2. I have no Ph.D., but I earn a lot more money than my buddies from Uni who have masters degrees and the one who is Dr. in mathematics.
    3. I too have an extensive knowlegde on history, politics (before I went in therapy that was my major pastime, and I even admired Ayaan Hirsi Ali when she just started her political career). I was once adicted to documenatry channels. This just hasn't come out on this forum, which I'll explain below.
    4. I know more about what Socionics really means
    5. I don't scoff at that, I have my own collections of things that I'm knowlegeable about, but have no practical use whatsoever.
    6. EDIT TO ADDnce I was also an asshole similar to Expat, belitteling people for their misunderstanding and stupidity, in very subtle ways. But, in the spirit of what Byron Katie teaches: turn it around! If I say that you are stupid, I'm basically admitting to my own feelings of defectiveness.

I'm telling you: I've stopped counting the number of times people tried to insult or tease me by calling me a walking encyclopedia.

The thing is: all that shit has only caused me a lot of stress in life, and I learned that most of these behaviors meant nothing else than that I was evading the obvious, that is that I didn't really live and enjoyed life. I'm trying to rid myself of these behaviors that once felt egosyntonic.
    Last edited by consentingadult; 09-01-2008 at 11:20 PM.
    “I have never tried that before, so I think I should definitely be able to do that.” --- Pippi Longstocking

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    507 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I have a large penis.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1. I'm fluent in Dutch, English and German, average in French, and I can manage in Spanish and Italian
    2. I have no Ph.D., but I earn a lot more money than my buddies from Uni who have masters degrees and the one who is Dr. in mathematics.
    3. I too have an extensive knowlegde on history, politics (before I went in therapy that was my major pastime, and I even admired Ayaan Hirsi Ali when she just started her political career). I was once adicted to documenatry channels. This just hasn't come out on this forum, which I'll explain below.
    4. I know more about what Socionics really means
    5. I don't scoff at that, I have my own collections of things that I'm knowlegeable about, but have no practical use whatsoever.

I'm telling you: I've stopped counting the number of times people tried to insult or tease me by calling me a walking encyclopedia.

The thing is: all that shit has only caused me a lot of stress in life, and I learned that most of these behaviors meant nothing else than that I was evading the obvious, that is that I didn't really live and enjoyed life. I'm trying to rid myself of these behaviors that once felt egosyntonic.
    discojoe writes:

What I said had nothing to do with how knowledgeable you are, and wasn't intended as any kind of comparison between yourself and Expat. I was merely pointing out that Expat is in fact extremely knowledgeable -- more than most people on the forum are probably aware -- therefore subverting your claims to the contrary.

Your rebuttal is nothing more than a self revealing window into your personal insecurities. It's funny to see you insist on pretending that you're not bother by the fact that everyone sees you as the forum's newest running joke.
    SEE

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Subterranean View Post
    I have a large penis.
    That points towards Se-role.

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your rebuttal is nothing more than a self revealing window into your personal insecurities. It's funny to see you insist on pretending that you're not bother by the fact that everyone sees you as the forum's newest running joke.
    No, its just part of the forum that sees me as the newest running joke, just those that I make feel uncomfortable and feel a need to attack me and people like me in order to maintain their deluded sense of self worth and eliminate the cignitive dissonance. Suppose for a second that it is I who am deluded? I think a healthy person would then simply ignore me.But no, I make a statement that displeases people, and immediately I have a whole army against me. Well, I'm not stepping out of the way.Some people we could rub a diper of fresh baby poop into their faces, and they still wouldn't smell the poop. That's what's happening here. If it wasn't so said, I would take it as a running joke.

Fortunately, there are also people here who have a more respectful approach to discussion and investigation.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a large penis.
    6w5 sx
    model Φ: -+0
    sloan - rcuei

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, its just part of the forum that sees me as the newest running joke, just those that I make feel uncomfortable and feel a need to attack me and people like me in order to maintain their deluded sense of self worth and eliminate the cignitive dissonance. Suppose for a second that it is I who am deluded? I think a healthy person would then simply ignore me.But no, I make a statement that displeases people, and immediately I have a whole army against me. Well, I'm not stepping out of the way.Some people we could rub a diper of fresh baby poop into their faces, and they still wouldn't smell the poop. That's what's happening here. If it wsn;t so said, I would take it as a running joke.

Fortunately, there are also people here who have a more respectful approach to discussion and investigation.
    discojoe writes:

If you think that this retaliation was provoked by one isolated statement, then your interpersonal skills are crippled.
    SEE

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

discojoe writes:

If you think that a this retaliation was provoked by one isolated statement, then your interpersonal skills are crippled.
    There is nothing wrong with my interpersonal skills. I'm an okay guy.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the problem with your post is that: 1) You concluded that ad hominems are somehow associated with Gammas, and 2) You insinuated that Expat was being hostile towards you, when that does not seem to be the case. Had you ranted only about ad hominems in general and not pointed out Expat in your post (only those who do regularly seem to use these arguments), then more people would have agreed with you.

Jason

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i dont completely disagree with CA. Gammas on this forum have a horrible understanding of socionics. They actually get things backwards more often then not .. as steven colbert puts it: "there's a certain skill to being always wrong" ... they're really working on it

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

EVERYBODY IS STUPID INCLUDING ME

HOWS THAT FOR AN AD HOMINEM ATTACK, UH?

I FUCKING WIN!!!!
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm sure many people on this forum recognize themselves in the following: being bullied by caretakers who only gave us love on the condition that we adhered to their standards, leaving us no room to be ourselves, leaving us no space to shape our own personalities, who robbed us of our capacity to make our own life choices. Many of us have scars on our hearts and souls. I propose we break the cycle in which we perpetuate that we transfer our attitudes towards our caretakers onto each other, and really start learning from each other, learning how to connect, learning to grow. This will, however, not happen when people are not taken seriously or belittled be being called 'idiots' all the time.
    HEY MY DOG REFUSED TO HAVE SEX WITH ME WHEN I WAS A KID, I'M SO SCARRED
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This forum isn't a support group.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by crazedrat View Post
    i dont completely disagree with CA. Gammas on this forum have a horrible understanding of socionics. They actually get things backwards more often then not .. as steven colbert puts it: "there's a certain skill to being always wrong" ... they're really working on it
    My personal opinion about ILIs: great insight and a good sense for quality, but with the habit of taking themselves as a reference point when coming up with a solution (well, don't we all?)

I'll blog about this somewhere this week.

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Slacker Mom View Post
    This forum isn't a support group.
    Are you sure about that?

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are you sure about that?
    If it is then it's an argument for sado-masochism.
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jason_m View Post
    I think the problem with your post is that: 1) You concluded that ad hominems are somehow associated with Gammas, and 2) You insinuated that Expat was being hostile towards you, when that does not seem to be the case. Had you ranted only about ad hominems in general and not pointed out Expat in your post (only those who do regularly seem to use these arguments), then more people would have agreed with you.

Jason
    You are taking your conclusions too far: I never said anything about other quadras and ad hominem, neither positive nor negative, the extrapolation is yours, not mine. And I never said he was hostile to me, only that he used ways of belittlement to nullify me. Now why do I experience this, and other members not? I think it is because I'm the only one on this forum (or perhaps one of the very few) that he regards as a threat. Now I perfectly understand most people think Expat is an okay guy: they cannot beat him at his own game, so he typically has no need to nullify them. As opposed to some other people on this forum, who are way less secure in their knowledge of Socionics, and thus easier resort to ad hominem behaviors.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by niffweed17 View Post
    your argument is wrong for the following reason: you cannot answer the following question:

in a right triangle ABC with right angle C, CA = 30 and CB = 16. it's legs CA and CB are extended beyond A and B. points O1 and O2 lie in the exterior of the triangle and are the centers of two circles with equal radii. The circle with center O1 is tangent to the hypotenuse and to the extension of leg CA, the circle with center O2 is tangent to the hypotenuse and to the extension of leg CB, and the circles are externally tangent to each other. The length of the radius of either circle can be expressed as p/q, where p and q are relatively prime positive integers. Find p+q.
    There is no question

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hmm if the extension is the same direction as the legs then it cant be done, if the circle tangent the hypotenous then the middle of the circle is a right angle from the hypotenous.

maybe if the edge of the triangle is.. hmm nha. its null

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Darkstar View Post
    hmm if the extension is the same direction as the legs then it cant be done, if the circle tangent the hypotenous then the middle of the circle is a right angle from the hypotenous.

maybe if the edge of the triangle is.. hmm nha. its null
    that is not the correct answer.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

NO! your question is faulty

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Darkstar View Post
    NO! your question is faulty
    that is not the correct answer.

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    507 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what so O1 and O2 isnt part of the extension

well its a lame question anyway

edit: Maybe I take another look at it tomorrow
    Last edited by Darkstar; 09-04-2008 at 07:35 PM. Reason: edit

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

<3
    Johari/Nohari

"Tell someone you love them today, because life is short; shout it at them in German, because life is also terrifying."

Fruit, the fluffy kitty.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by niffweed17 View Post
    your argument is wrong for the following reason: you cannot answer the following question:

in a right triangle ABC with right angle C, CA = 30 and CB = 16. it's legs CA and CB are extended beyond A and B. points O1 and O2 lie in the exterior of the triangle and are the centers of two circles with equal radii. The circle with center O1 is tangent to the hypotenuse and to the extension of leg CA, the circle with center O2 is tangent to the hypotenuse and to the extension of leg CB, and the circles are externally tangent to each other. The length of the radius of either circle can be expressed as p/q, where p and q are relatively prime positive integers. Find p+q.
    That question is solvable. Therefore I can solve it. Q.E.D.

Oh, very well.

O1 = (a,b)
    O2 = (c,d)
    hypotenuse: 16y+30x=30*16
    (30a+16b-30*16)/34=e
    (30c+16d-30*16)/34=e
    a=e
    d=e
    sqrt((a-c)^2+(b-d)^2)=2e
    15/17*e+8/17*b=e+240/17=15/17*c+8/17*e
    7*e+8*b=9*e+240=15*c
    8*b=2*e+240
    15*c=9*e+240
    sqrt(2*e^2-ec-be+c^2+b^2)=2*e
    2*e^2-ec-be+c^2+b^2=4*e^2
    b=1/4*e+30
    c=9/15*e+16
    c^2+b^2=e*(2*e+c+b)
    (9/15*e+16)^2+(1/4*e+30)^2=e*(2*e+9/15*e+16+1/4*e+30)
    81/255*e^2+2*9/15*e*16+256+1/16*e^2+2*1/4*e*30+900=2*e^2+9/15*e^2+16*e+1/4*e^2+30*e
    27/85*e^2+1/16*e^2+1156-57/20*e^2-177/15*e=0
    -3529/1360*e^2-177/15*e+1156=0

Someone take it from here - e is a fully simplified and probably improper fraction, the larger of the two possibilities, where the denominator plus the numerator is the answer to the question.

LII-Ne

"Come to think of it, there are already a million monkeys on a million typewriters, and the Usenet is NOTHING like Shakespeare!"
    - Blair Houghton

Johari

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234