Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gammas and the Ad Hominem fallacy

Jesus is the cruel sausage consentingadult's Avatar
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Bale View Post
    I was an integral part of this big project at work recently, but I was not fully recognised for my work due to circumstances which befell one of my coworkers. I lost the plot somewhat, and subsequently became interested in psychology and socionics.

There is a danger of reading too much into my statements. There is much more to me than that.
    I see you spell 'recognised' with an 's'. Are you British in origin, and if so, how did you end up in LA?
    “I have never tried that before, so I think I should definitely be able to do that.” --- Pippi Longstocking

Banned
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by consentingadult View Post
    I see you spell 'recognised' with an 's'. Are you British in origin, and if so, how did you end up in LA?
    Yes, I am indeed British in origin. I ended up in LA as I pursued my career.

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Bale View Post
    Yes, I am indeed British in origin. I ended up in LA as I pursued my career.

Cuwl! Anyway, I hope you this forum will bring you what you are seeking. That is, if you plan to hang around of course.
    “I have never tried that before, so I think I should definitely be able to do that.” --- Pippi Longstocking

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This thread should be stickied.

It will help well-meaning Socionics-enthusiasts/newbies know that to get something positive out of this forum, (e.g. knowledge,) they'll have to put up with a lot of negative, (e.g. ad hominem attacks from ppl w/ very off-putting personalities.)

That said, if you don't speak Russian and you're interested in Socionics, where else are you gonna go to discuss it..?

There are A LOT of ppl here with good intentions... It's just that sometimes the atmosphere becomes toxic.

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have this really odd sensation that reminds me of a scene in 'The Last Emperor', in which boy-emperor Pu Yi says to Mr. Reginald Johnston "I know that you know that I know that you know..."

Now why would I feeling such an odd sensation this invokes this memory?

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Diana View Post
    *eats fortune cookie* So. . . are you really a new person, or just an old person acting like they're a new person to the forum?
    subterranean.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Expat has a need to be perceived as an authority on Socionics, and that he perceive me, and others, as a threat that undermines that authority. Too bad for him.
    You think wrong.
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joy View Post
    You think wrong.
    Ah, there is another one of the Gammas who thinks she has a monopoly on the truth. You know what, I'm perfectly willing to oblige you: you're right!

Happy now?

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by glamourama View Post
    why is that shit still there?
    ask mcnew.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah, there is another one of the Gammas who thinks she has a monopoly on the truth. You know what, I'm perfectly willing to oblige you: you're right!

Happy now?
    It's not about who's right.
    SEE

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This thread is simply stupid.
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Logos View Post
    nah, he raises some valid points... the ad hominem attacks have made the forum less enjoyable for ppl who just want to learn about Socionics w/o having to get into personal b.s.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ad hominem attacks should not be followed up with additional ones. I am not a fan of such tactics either, but this thread does nothing to solve the issue. Do you expect Phaedrus to change his style? Expat is hardly an offender. Niffweed only uses them after the person has repeatedly offended him or shown little interest in actually learning or correcting their knowledge.
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ad hominem attacks should not be followed up with additional ones. I am not a fan of such tactics either, but this thread does nothing to solve the issue. Do you expect Phaedrus to change his style? Expat is hardly an offender. Niffweed only uses them after the person has repeatedly offended him or shown little interest in actually learning or correcting their knowledge.
    If you read my original post, you can clearly see that it was not aimed at the Gammas involved, but at the people who suffer their verbal abuse. I have no illusions about changing Expat, Niffweed or Phaedrus, I only wanted to make their behavior clear to other people, hoping it helps them deal with it.

Your explanation of the behavior of these people is, imho, a rationalization and simply wrong, which is not an ad hominem attack, because my arguments for it are all over this forum. There is no need to discuss this further, unless you can come up with something new and original.

As for Expat, he is indeed different in comparison to Niffweed and Phaedrus, but he has hisown dark Se-side: he creates demand for his knowledge by making it scarce, forcing people to beg like dogs, in the hope he might throw them a bone. It's all about power and authority. He applies, in effect, the 8th and 11th law from the 48 Laws of Power, which I wouldn't be surprised if he read it. And although he has great insight in Socionics, on an existential level his knowledge is not that valuable that justifies one begging for it. As far as as I'm concerned, Expat can shove his knowledge up his rear panel USB port.

In fact, I believe I will follow Expat's example by not making available my knowledge freely anymore

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joy View Post
    It's not about who's right.
    So far I have counted 10 words (incl. abbrevs) in your argument. 10 not very substantial words. Let us hear your rationale, instead of making empty statements such as 'You think wrong'.
    Last edited by consentingadult; 08-30-2008 at 10:40 AM.

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What verbal abuse! I've never felt *abused* by any of them.

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    What verbal abuse! I've never felt *abused* by any of them.
    Good for you. However, this statement probably says more about you than about the aforementioned forum members. If you want to know what, just let me know, and I will tell you after you have sent US$50 into my PayPal account. Normally I charge more, but for you my friend, I make special price.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

why isn't this an "ad hominem" attack?
    anyone want to call Logos a fraud now? =)
    EII; E6(w5)

i am flakey

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Ya, ya ,ya! Ad Hominem = no Fe valuing.

Fe or GTFO! If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.
    LII
    that is what i was getting at. if there is an inescapable appropriation that is required in the act of understanding, this brings into question the validity of socionics in describing what is real, and hence stubborn contradictions that continue to plague me.

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Logos is by far not as pretentious as I, Expat, Niffweed of Phaedrus. So, no fraud.

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mariano Rajoy View Post
    Ya, ya ,ya! Ad Hominem = no Fe valuing.

Fe or GTFO! If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.
    Hear hear!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by consenting adult View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but Logos is by far not as pretentious as I, Expat, Niffweed of Phaedrus. So, no fraud.
    Is it possible to argue about a person's character without committing an ad hominem fallacy?
    LII
    that is what i was getting at. if there is an inescapable appropriation that is required in the act of understanding, this brings into question the validity of socionics in describing what is real, and hence stubborn contradictions that continue to plague me.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

consentingadult: what the fuck is your problem?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, the thing is, if it's obvious that a particular writing style (that you happen to dislike) is standard among Gamma NTs- i.e., one of low Fe- then why are you writing this thread?
    I'm not going to start screaming "I <3333 Beta Fe, Ni," but I'm also not going to start some thread conspiracy faulting them for their values.
    EII; E6(w5)

i am flakey

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

does consentingadult remind anyone else of crazedrat?

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mariano Rajoy View Post
    Is it possible to argue about a person's character with ought committing an ad hominem fallacy?
    Very good question!

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by niffweed17 View Post
    consentingadult: what the fuck is your problem?
    For you too, my friend, I make special price: $50 in my PayPal account. Just send me a PM if you're interested.

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, the thing is, if it's obvious that a particular writing style (that you happen to dislike) is standard among Gamma NTs- i.e., one of low Fe- then why are you writing this thread?
    I'm not going to start screaming "I <3333 Beta Fe, Ni," but I'm also not going to start some thread conspiracy faulting them for their values.
    I see it differently, their behavior is not to be explained as 'normal psychology' but as pathological. You can not say, 'hey, I'm Gamma NT, this is what I am and you have to accept it or GTFO!" That is utter bull shit and a rationalization for bad social behavior, regardless of type. There are many Gamma NTs out there in the world who are perfectly OK people.
    Last edited by consentingadult; 08-30-2008 at 12:11 PM. Reason: typo

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not going to start screaming "I <3333 Beta Fe, Ni," and I'm also not going to start some thread conspiracy faulting them for their values.
    Fixed.

I thought it would be a bit of sarcasm that Gamma would appreciate. Perhaps I was not ott enough.
    LII

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you need to stop speaking like you're a greek. it is annoying.
    Lol
    im guessing that's ad-hominem too.
    This whole ad-hominem bullshit is operating on the assumption that ~i am feeling the need to address your ideas in the first place~; and then I could not, so you became "simply wrong and dumb", the end.
    What is really happening; and I think it is likely this is what is happening with the other gamma NTs, is that they do not want to put fourth the energy to argue with you. Instead, they amuse themselves or tell you to go away.
    Telling you to go away can take the form of a quick, summarized reason as to why you must go away.
    This can translate into "because you are a fucking idiot".
    You should not interpret this as an ad-hominem "you're wrong just cuz' you're dumb".
    You should interpret this as a "you are wrong, and i do not want to explain to you why you are wrong. I do not want to explain why you are wrong to you because it would take too long. It would take too long because you are stupid." ... put briefly - you are stupid
    There is, though, I think... a general tendency on this board for people to be completely wrong, and think they are completely right (& this occurs on other MBTI / socionics boards I frequent- it is really the subject matter which is the culprit IMO). That is not an ad-hominem thing though, it's just an intelligence / general arrogance thing.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lol. lmao
    niffweed, you need to go outside. you're starting to develop some kind of internet conspiracy paranoia

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by crazedrat View Post
    you need to stop speaking like you're a greek. it is annoying.
    Lol
    im guessing that's ad-hominem too.
    This whole ad-hominem bullshit is operating on the assumption that ~i am feeling the need to address your ideas in the first place~; and then I could not, so you became "simply wrong and dumb", the end.
    What is really happening; and I think it is likely this is what is happening with the other gamma NTs, is that they do not want to put fourth the energy to argue with you. Instead, they amuse themselves or tell you to go away.
    Telling you to go away can take the form of a quick, summarized reason as to why you must go away.
    You should not interpret this as an ad-hominem "you're wrong just cuz' you're dumb".
    You should interpret this as a "you are wrong, and i do not want to explain to you why you are wrong. I do not want to explain why you are wrong to you because it would take too long. It would take too long because you are stupid." ... put briefly - you are stupid
    Well, that certainly was a long piece of text that basically says nothing, and most certainly does not shed a new light on things. Just another rationalization of a person who doesn't understands he is pathologically Emotionally Inhibited, put briefly. Now this IS Ad Hominem. You see, I can do it too. I feel sorry for you.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i disagree, and i do think the idea that people just want you to shut up could be a major breakthrough for you
    it is impossible to be complexly logical and emotionally sound at the same time.
    they are simultaneous happenings .. logical complexity presumes the existence of logical conflict.
    basically, since you're arguing me (& this entire board) it is impossible for you to disclude yourself from the emotionally retarded category

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by consentingadult
    Good for you. However, this statement probably says more about you than about the aforementioned forum members. If you want to know what, just let me know, and I will tell you after you have sent US$50 into my PayPal account. Normally I charge more, but for you my friend, I make special price.
    A fish in a glass jar of its own choosing, floating down the river undisturbed by the other fish who you call piranhas. I've observed goldfish to sometimes eat each other. I wonder if it seemed strange to them to be consumed by others like them. Maybe it didn't dawn on them they were being eaten. If they had a choice to have a broader mind, would they take it, or would they rather not know. Could it be that the opportunity to expand their horizons was only one that would shrink them. Could it be that they scoff at piranhas when they eat their own kind. Fish are hypocrites.

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i disagree, and i do think the idea that people just want you to shut up could be a major breakthrough for you
    it is impossible to be complexly logical and emotionally sound at the same time.
    That's indeed what they and you would want me to do, because then they don't have to face their own feelings, doubts and insecurities and can keep up their deluded self-image and self-esteem. Your self-esteem depends on bringing down other's, it is not authetic, self-generated self-esteem.

In fact, in the past I did withdrew and did shut up, but I learned in therapy to stand up for my right to self-expression, whatever my level of intellect, and that's exactly what I'm going to keep doing.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

can the two of you kill each other?

thanks.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is, though, I think... a general tendency on this board for people to be completely wrong, and think they are completely right (& this occurs on other MBTI / socionics boards I frequent- it is really the subject matter which is the culprit IMO). That is not an ad-hominem thing though, it's just an intelligence / general arrogance thing.
    This is the best summary of what is really happening that I have ever seen. It points directly to the essence of the whole irritating phenomenon that is taking place on this forum.

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lol. lmao
    niffweed, you need to go outside. you're starting to develop some kind of internet conspiracy paranoia
    no. seriously, i thought the same.
    INTp
    sx/sp

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I see it differently, their behavior is not to be explained as 'normal psychology' but as pathological. You can not say, 'hey, I'm Gamma NT, this is what I am and you have to accept it or GTFO!" That is utter bull shit and a rationalization for bad social behavior, regardless of type. There are many Gamma NTs out there in the world who are perfectly OK people.
    Phaedrus, yes. Niffweed, in a way. Expat, no.
    SEE

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So Consenting Adult is assuming all three of those people are Gamma NTs?

There is a tendency among some people here to do that. BUT on the other hand, sometimes people just don't have hours and hours to devote to stupid arguments online, and I think it's reasonable to say, "I don't want to argue with you because you'll never get what I'm trying to say anyway." In whatever words the person chooses.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast