Thread: Gammas and the Ad Hominem fallacy

Hybrid View

Humanist and Actor Christian Bale's Avatar
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Are you acting, or are you really all morons?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nope, I'm really a moron.
    Quote Originally Posted by Logos
    Holy mud-wrestling bipolar donkeys, Batman!

Retired from posting and drawing Social Security. E-mail or PM to contact.

I pity your souls

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Bale View Post
    your argument is wrong for the following reason: you cannot answer the following question:

in a right triangle ABC with right angle C, CA = 30 and CB = 16. it's legs CA and CB are extended beyond A and B. points O1 and O2 lie in the exterior of the triangle and are the centers of two circles with equal radii. The circle with center O1 is tangent to the hypotenuse and to the extension of leg CA, the circle with center O2 is tangent to the hypotenuse and to the extension of leg CB, and the circles are externally tangent to each other. The length of the radius of either circle can be expressed as p/q, where p and q are relatively prime positive integers. Find p+q.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by niffweed17 View Post
    your argument is wrong for the following reason: you cannot answer the following question:

in a right triangle ABC with right angle C, CA = 30 and CB = 16. it's legs CA and CB are extended beyond A and B. points O1 and O2 lie in the exterior of the triangle and are the centers of two circles with equal radii. The circle with center O1 is tangent to the hypotenuse and to the extension of leg CA, the circle with center O2 is tangent to the hypotenuse and to the extension of leg CB, and the circles are externally tangent to each other. The length of the radius of either circle can be expressed as p/q, where p and q are relatively prime positive integers. Find p+q.
    That question is solvable. Therefore I can solve it. Q.E.D.

Oh, very well.

O1 = (a,b)
    O2 = (c,d)
    hypotenuse: 16y+30x=30*16
    (30a+16b-30*16)/34=e
    (30c+16d-30*16)/34=e
    a=e
    d=e
    sqrt((a-c)^2+(b-d)^2)=2e
    15/17*e+8/17*b=e+240/17=15/17*c+8/17*e
    7*e+8*b=9*e+240=15*c
    8*b=2*e+240
    15*c=9*e+240
    sqrt(2*e^2-ec-be+c^2+b^2)=2*e
    2*e^2-ec-be+c^2+b^2=4*e^2
    b=1/4*e+30
    c=9/15*e+16
    c^2+b^2=e*(2*e+c+b)
    (9/15*e+16)^2+(1/4*e+30)^2=e*(2*e+9/15*e+16+1/4*e+30)
    81/255*e^2+2*9/15*e*16+256+1/16*e^2+2*1/4*e*30+900=2*e^2+9/15*e^2+16*e+1/4*e^2+30*e
    27/85*e^2+1/16*e^2+1156-57/20*e^2-177/15*e=0
    -3529/1360*e^2-177/15*e+1156=0

Someone take it from here - e is a fully simplified and probably improper fraction, the larger of the two possibilities, where the denominator plus the numerator is the answer to the question.

LII-Ne

"Come to think of it, there are already a million monkeys on a million typewriters, and the Usenet is NOTHING like Shakespeare!"
    - Blair Houghton

Johari

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We're all morons.

Welcome to the16types.
    Johari/Nohari

"Tell someone you love them today, because life is short; shout it at them in German, because life is also terrifying."

Fruit, the fluffy kitty.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This thread is simply stupid.
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Logos View Post
    nah, he raises some valid points... the ad hominem attacks have made the forum less enjoyable for ppl who just want to learn about Socionics w/o having to get into personal b.s.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ad hominem attacks should not be followed up with additional ones. I am not a fan of such tactics either, but this thread does nothing to solve the issue. Do you expect Phaedrus to change his style? Expat is hardly an offender. Niffweed only uses them after the person has repeatedly offended him or shown little interest in actually learning or correcting their knowledge.
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box

Jesus is the cruel sausage consentingadult's Avatar
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ad hominem attacks should not be followed up with additional ones. I am not a fan of such tactics either, but this thread does nothing to solve the issue. Do you expect Phaedrus to change his style? Expat is hardly an offender. Niffweed only uses them after the person has repeatedly offended him or shown little interest in actually learning or correcting their knowledge.
    If you read my original post, you can clearly see that it was not aimed at the Gammas involved, but at the people who suffer their verbal abuse. I have no illusions about changing Expat, Niffweed or Phaedrus, I only wanted to make their behavior clear to other people, hoping it helps them deal with it.

Your explanation of the behavior of these people is, imho, a rationalization and simply wrong, which is not an ad hominem attack, because my arguments for it are all over this forum. There is no need to discuss this further, unless you can come up with something new and original.

As for Expat, he is indeed different in comparison to Niffweed and Phaedrus, but he has hisown dark Se-side: he creates demand for his knowledge by making it scarce, forcing people to beg like dogs, in the hope he might throw them a bone. It's all about power and authority. He applies, in effect, the 8th and 11th law from the 48 Laws of Power, which I wouldn't be surprised if he read it. And although he has great insight in Socionics, on an existential level his knowledge is not that valuable that justifies one begging for it. As far as as I'm concerned, Expat can shove his knowledge up his rear panel USB port.

In fact, I believe I will follow Expat's example by not making available my knowledge freely anymore
    “I have never tried that before, so I think I should definitely be able to do that.” --- Pippi Longstocking

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

why isn't this an "ad hominem" attack?
    anyone want to call Logos a fraud now? =)
    EII; E6(w5)

i am flakey

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Ya, ya ,ya! Ad Hominem = no Fe valuing.

Fe or GTFO! If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.
    LII
    that is what i was getting at. if there is an inescapable appropriation that is required in the act of understanding, this brings into question the validity of socionics in describing what is real, and hence stubborn contradictions that continue to plague me.

Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mariano Rajoy View Post
    Ya, ya ,ya! Ad Hominem = no Fe valuing.

Fe or GTFO! If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.
    Hear hear!
    “I have never tried that before, so I think I should definitely be able to do that.” --- Pippi Longstocking

Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but Logos is by far not as pretentious as I, Expat, Niffweed of Phaedrus. So, no fraud.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by consenting adult View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but Logos is by far not as pretentious as I, Expat, Niffweed of Phaedrus. So, no fraud.
    Is it possible to argue about a person's character without committing an ad hominem fallacy?
    LII
    that is what i was getting at. if there is an inescapable appropriation that is required in the act of understanding, this brings into question the validity of socionics in describing what is real, and hence stubborn contradictions that continue to plague me.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

consentingadult: what the fuck is your problem?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, the thing is, if it's obvious that a particular writing style (that you happen to dislike) is standard among Gamma NTs- i.e., one of low Fe- then why are you writing this thread?
    I'm not going to start screaming "I <3333 Beta Fe, Ni," but I'm also not going to start some thread conspiracy faulting them for their values.
    EII; E6(w5)

i am flakey

Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mariano Rajoy View Post
    Is it possible to argue about a person's character with ought committing an ad hominem fallacy?
    Very good question!

Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We are all morons, venting out our pathologies. Take my advice and get out while you still can, because this forum is addictive and before you know it, you're hooked!

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by consentingadult View Post
    We are all morons, venting out our pathologies. Take my advice and get out while you still can, because this forum is addictive and before you know it, you're hooked!
    As if I'd take my advice from you.

Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As if I'd take my advice from you.
    Ah, you're hooked already Well, then, welcome to this forum!

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Ah, you're hooked already Well, then, welcome to this forum!
    How did you become spokesperson of the forum? Did someone die, or do you have an ego complex?

Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How did you become spokesperson of the forum? Did someone die, or do you have an ego complex?
    1. I spoke only for myself
    2. I do have an ego complex indeed, it's called Narcissistic Personality Disorder in the DSM IV, and more specifically, Depressed/Depleted Narcissistic Personality Disorder in the PDM.

Does this answer your questions?

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2. I do have an ego complex indeed, it's called Narcissistic Personality Disorder in the DSM IV, and more specifically, Depressed/Depleted Narcissistic Personality Disorder in the PDM.

*pokes* I do believe said person is baiting you. Or just bad at Fe.
    Johari/Nohari

"Tell someone you love them today, because life is short; shout it at them in German, because life is also terrifying."

Fruit, the fluffy kitty.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

No, as you have not been satisfactorily belittled yet.

It is clear that if you cannot create a new identity that you should accept yourself as you are, warts and all.

You should not belittle others in order to make yourself feel important unless you are exceptionally talented.

Only one individual in every generation has this gift, and I know that this individual is not you.