Thread: Types in Verbal Combat

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra View Post
    "Verbal combat": what a great way to describe argument.

Anyway, I was contemplating this recently. I think that NTs, particularly those with Ti in the ego, are far more likely to attack the argument, and talk about how the argument is shit, and how the reasoning for the argument is poor etc., than are those who have, for example, Fe or Fi in the ego, who would probably take the attack personally; "you prick!", "stick up for yourself!" etc.
    No, that is clearly false. NTs with Te in the ego are far more likely to do just that. This is another very obvious example of the fact that you have an incorrect view on what Ti is and what Ti types are like. You have demonstrated this misunderstanding in many posts on various occasions, and this misunderstanding has caused you to mistype some people.

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra
    "Verbal combat": what a great way to describe argument.

Anyway, I was contemplating this recently. I think that NTs, particularly those with Ti in the ego, are far more likely to attack the argument, and talk about how the argument is shit, and how the reasoning for the argument is poor etc., than are those who have, for example, Fe or Fi in the ego, who would probably take the attack personally; "you prick!", "stick up for yourself!" etc.
    It depends. A Ti ego type will probably focus primarily on the reasoning (at least in a natural inclination sort of way), and possibly throw in some insults. A Te ego type may come off as more dry and indifferent to the emotional aspect of the argument. An Fe ego type may be more prone to attempting to manipulate the emotional atmosphere in order to make the opponent look stupid or angry. Not that they wouldn't focus on logic (i.e. me, who is most likely INFp, but would focus on logic), but would probably do the emotional manipulation a little more naturally. Once they have pissed off their opponent, revealed their motives, or anything of the like, they have gained control and logic doesn't even matter. Sometimes an Fe ego types emotional games are a compensation for underdeveloped logic functions though. And sometimes a Ti ego type's attempts at Fe games come off as highly miscalculated and silly.
    4w3-5w6-8w7

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't argue, I let the facts speak for themselves.
    "Those who make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities..."

- Voltaire

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LokiVanguard
    I don't argue, I let the facts speak for themselves.
    What if there aren't enough compelling facts at hand?

What if you're arguing a personal conviction?

What if the facts don't matter (i.e. arguing the logic behind something rather than the objective aspects of what it is)?
    4w3-5w6-8w7

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by strrrng View Post
    Then find more facts.

I can't think of any activity that simulates banging your head against a wall more than arguing personal convictions with someone else.

What if the facts don't matter (i.e. arguing the logic behind something rather than the objective aspects of what it is)?
    You still need facts for logic.
    "Those who make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities..."

- Voltaire

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LokiVanguard
    Then find more facts.
    Yes, but you don't always have enough time to keep searching for facts.

I'm not trying to nitpick, I just thought you sort of over-simplified it.
    4w3-5w6-8w7

TIM
    IEE-Ne
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hate discussing with Fe/Ti types. They rarely care about the discussion; they are generally more concerned about "winning" it. It's fairly classical when it comes to SEIs and ILEs. You can even notice how the SEIs here introduced the "+1" expression, etc.

I specially hate when they throw what they think is a "devastating" argument and won't allow you to even reply to it, starting to scream and such. I bet it usually happens when such an argument creates a Fe connection and they don't want you to break it; even if they don't really ever cared to check whenever the argument was that great in the first place.
    [] | NP | 3[6w5]8 so/sp | Type thread | My typing of forum members | Johari (Strengths) | Nohari (Weaknesses)

You know what? You're an individual, and that makes people nervous. And it's gonna keep making people nervous for the rest of your life.
    - Ole Golly from Harriet, the spy.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I enjoy verbally sparing, however I'm not that articulate sometimes so I need to do it with someone who is patient and not nit-pick about words I choose.

And I actually am more likely to get angry with argument styles and habits more than the actually subject of the argument. For example, I cannot stand it when someone says, "You're just think that because of this!!!" As if that makes them win.

I don't JUST think something for one singular reason, at least not when it comes to a serious opinion on something. stfu.

Another thing I don't like is when someone is arguing with you purely to win, rather than come to the truth of the matter or a mutual conclusion and understanding. I dont see the point in an argument other than to promote truth and mutual understanding.
    SEE Unknown Subtype
    6w7 sx/so

[21:29] hitta: idealism is just the gap between the thought of death
    [21:29] hitta: and not dying

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Khamelion View Post
    And I actually am more likely to get angry with argument styles and habits more than the actually subject of the argument. For example, I cannot stand it when someone says, "You're just think that because of this!!!" As if that makes them win.

I don't JUST think something for one singular reason, at least not when it comes to a serious opinion on something. stfu.
    You just think that because you're ethical and weak.

ILE
    7w8 so/sp

Very busy with work. Only kind of around.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    383 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I love arguing! I also love changing the subject. I've had some interresting conversations, although not many things actually get resolved.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When a person's levels of norepinephrine are low, their brain will try to find ways to increase levels of epinephrine (adrenalin). One of the easiest ways to accomplish this is to create drama/arguing/heated debates. Some people get addicted to this form of self-medication.

In other words, some people like to argue because it provides a certain type of stimulation that they otherwise don't get enough of.
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by strrrng View Post

i'll bet he doesn't even get himself into those kinds of arguments. counterproductive for him.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Carla View Post
    What do Ti types do then?
    They flail their arms about, grunting and throwing feces.
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box

Quote Originally Posted by Logos View Post
    They flail their arms about, grunting and throwing feces.
    That's McCain talking, he's controlling your brain again!
    ...the human race will disappear. Other races will appear and disappear in turn. The sky will become icy and void, pierced by the feeble light of half-dead stars. Which will also disappear. Everything will disappear. And what human beings do is just as free of sense as the free motion of elementary particles. Good, evil, morality, feelings? Pure 'Victorian fictions'.

INTp

TIM
    ISXj
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't like arguing because I've found that the majority of people I've engaged in arguments with take the argument much too personally/seriously or they are arguing just to win, which generally means they do not care what I am saying and will never open their minds to another point of view = 99% of arguments are pointless so why waste my time.
    Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves.
    John Muir

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Warlord View Post
    That's McCain talking, he's controlling your brain again!
    Get him out of my mind!
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box

I've been waiting for you Satan's Avatar
    TIM
    sle sp/sx 845
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)

I find some girls like to take innocous things as an insult.