"Sometimes truth doesn't matter" -- Batman: The Dark Knight

This line towards the end of the movie, stated by batman's 'overseer' (or w/e), as he ripped up the note that the woman had written to batman, and proceeded to burn it, seemed extremely poignant yet elusive to me for some time. I grasped it on a general/theoretical level, but I didn't feel it. I think this was primarily because it represented one of my deepest fears: that the internal self/world will be swept away, that the authenticity will evaporate into another memory, and nothing will be left; that it will have no significance (fuck you if you don't think I'm a 4).

But now I feel it. What happens when you have an attachment to something, and you are forced to immolate it for the sake of your own well-being? So now, I have to place something - something which is very real - up at the stake, and send it into the sky. This will leave me with nothing but a memory and a wist for the 'what if,' supposedly granting me a better future.

So, sometimes what is right, and what feels right - what is true - cannot coexist with reality. Sometimes what we want most eludes us, for one reason or another, and we have to sacrifice it.

Yet matter (or energy, w/e) is neither created or destroyed; nothing ever ceases to exist. When you put that thing that you were connected to up on that altar in preparation for it's cessation, you are also putting yourself up on that altar, burning yourself at the stake (at least a part of you). So, as the flames grow and it disintegrates, you are also burning a hole internally, severing a part of you that will never exist in its true form again; you are creating a void, and you can never go back.

-out-