Thread: Equal distribution assumption

Hybrid View

Creepy-ifmd95

Default _

_
    Last edited by ifmd95; 04-13-2011 at 12:18 PM.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Most women are ethical. So are most men.
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joy View Post
    Perhaps where you live...
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by implied View Post
    well, everywhere but italy. because in italy men are tough and macho, which is obviously the same thing as being logical.
    lol
    SEE

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by implied View Post
    well, everywhere but italy. because in italy men are tough and macho, which is obviously the same thing as being logical.
    actually, italian men have a worldwide reputation of being anything but tough and macho!

Hacking your soul since the beginning of time Hitta's Avatar
    Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Sometimes I wonder if Phaedrus is a robot programmed with automated responses.
    Model X Will Save Us!

*randomwarelinkremoved

jessica129:scrotums r hot

:" hitting cap makes me envision cervix smashing"

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jxrtes View Post
    Where I'm from, Italian men are considered loud, obnoxious womanizers - but nobody thinks they're macho, just trying to look macho.
    Yeah, I think that is more like the stereotype.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That has also been my observation, most people are ethicals. I'd guess something like 60%.
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Expat View Post
    That has also been my observation, most people are ethicals. I'd guess something like 60%.
    False.

Jesus is the cruel sausage consentingadult's Avatar
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
    False.
    why?
    “I have never tried that before, so I think I should definitely be able to do that.” --- Pippi Longstocking

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by consentingadult View Post
    why?
    Statistics. Empiricial evidence contradicts Expat's personal observation. Therefore Expat's belief is false.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Idiotic belief.

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would say that equal distribution may be valid on a global scale, but in a microcosm therein there can be clustering. For instance, my home town exists to support the employees of the neighboring nuclear research facility. It's a small town, about 4200 people, and the vast majority of those people are employees of AECL, the children of employees or retired employees. If you believe that certain types are naturally predisposed to certain areas of study, then you have to agree that the logical conclusion is that an isolated region built to foster one specialized and technical facility would have an uneven distribution of types. That doesn't mean that it exludes certain types entirely, but one would expect a huge influx of logicals (which seems to hold true).
    ILE
    7w8 so/sp

Very busy with work. Only kind of around.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    335 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ifmd95 View Post
    It can mess your typings up like something really messy.

I never would have expected, say, a college campus to have equally distributed types. But large municipalities I would have figured are a safe bet. Perhaps not and there could be integral types which are biologically-based rather than just culturally. It's not that difficult to imagine if, say, economic conditions cause different types to migrate to different areas. Whether because strengths complement the regional opportunities or because quadra values and psychological comfort. It would also not suprise me if a "gender dichotomy" had some role: the ratio of favorable intertype relationships like duality (among the individuals, besides and in addition to with respect to the place.) What are your observations of your area?
    I've heard that autism is becoming more frequent because of intermarriage in engineering schools/companies, which could say something about type being somewhat related to profession+genetics.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mn0good View Post
    I would say that equal distribution may be valid on a global scale, but in a microcosm therein there can be clustering. For instance, my home town exists to support the employees of the neighboring nuclear research facility. It's a small town, about 4200 people, and the vast majority of those people are employees of AECL, the children of employees or retired employees. If you believe that certain types are naturally predisposed to certain areas of study, then you have to agree that the logical conclusion is that an isolated region built to foster one specialized and technical facility would have an uneven distribution of types. That doesn't mean that it exludes certain types entirely, but one would expect a huge influx of logicals (which seems to hold true).
    I went to Jr & Sr high school in Oak Ridge, TN - one of the former secret cities of the Manhattan Project. Back in the 40's, the gov't shipped out the locals, shipped in a bunch of research scientists & their families, and made the whole city of 75K classified. After the war, when the gates came down, many families stayed because they'd already been there for years. Generations later, the town continues to cater to highly specialized industries, and two of the three research facilities continue to do secretive stuff.
    It was an extremely strange place to be a kid. Many of my friends had parents who both had Ph.D.s, and the public high school always beat the shit out of all the other schools in the area - in academics, sports and music/ marching.
    Of course, you also had the kids from hardcore redneck families, some of whom were honest-to-god inbred, already losing teeth in their teens, already had two kids before 18, etc. It was, I repeat, one fucked-up place to be a kid.
    I honestly can't imagine that the type distribution comes anywhere close to even.

As an aside, after 19 or 20 pages of this debate, I would think that the whole premise of even distribution of types would be "over time, across a self-sustaining society". Rick somewhere in his blog talks about how when one trait comes to be over-represented, the dichotomous trait becomes valued by its scarcity. Whether type is preset from the genes or if it is affected by life circumstances, I would think that this means that at any given time there is a very low likelihood of an equal distribution of types, and only as a part of the swinging of the pendulum in the process of some trait or another gaining ascendancy.
    It's dynamic, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Bukowski
    We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing.
    SLI

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Society works on a supply and demand basis. Whatever is needed, is got. So of course these nuclear research sites will have an influx of logicals. In ancient Sparta, there was probably a 90% population of Beta STs. All the other quadras died out through social Darwinism; the only ones who survived were those that forced themselves to adopt a certain way of being (obviously Beta STs felt right at home). In Athenian politics, Betas flourished. Gammas flourished. Deltas flourished. Alphas flourished. It was far more meritocratic, far more balanced, and this is why Athens thrives as a city today, and Sparta, the unbalanced nation, does not. What's the moral of the story? The societies that flourish are those that have a healthy mixture of the quadras, and who utilise every type to their full capacity. Don't kill the Delta NF because (s)he can't fight properly; turn them into a social worker or a councillor. Why should we eliminate the SEE because they're wild beings, when they make perfect personal trainers? Each plays his part. If the ruler is wise (be this a single individual, or a market, or whatever other entity), the supply and demand principle works to optimum effect. People's skills are utilised because society recognises that everyone - everyone - has some use to it. If it doesn't, shit befalls the people, and society doesn't work properly.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra View Post
    In ancient Sparta, there was probably a 90% population of Beta STs.
    Absolutely not. How stupid are you? Don't you know anything about statistics and probability theory?

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Never mind... I forgot for a minute that you'd be referring to MBTT studies. Let's not have this discussion.
    SEE

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Never mind... I forgot for a minute that you'd be referring to MBTT studies. Let's not have this discussion.
    And I forgot for a second that you are unable to draw the correct conclusions from empirical studies.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And I forgot for a second that you are unable to draw the correct conclusions from empirical studies.
    I am unable to draw conclusions regarding the distribution of Socionics types from MBTT studies.
    SEE

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am unable to draw conclusions regarding the distribution of Socionics types from MBTT studies.
    Yes, that's what I thought, and that's what I said ...

Creepy-Cyclops

Well, I seem to come into contact with more F's, so for my wee world that I function in, there's more F's! ha! ;P

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not interested in further discussing MBTT vs. Socionics correlations with you, so I'm going to suggest we agree to disagree and be done with it.
    SEE

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not interested in further discussing MBTT vs. Socionics correlations with you, so I'm going to suggest we agree to disagree and be done with it.
    No. I don't accept that you disagree with the empirical facts, and I don't respect your opinion on this matter. You are simply wrong, and it is your duty to realize that.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    335 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Phaedrus, why must you be so hostile?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thehotelambush View Post
    Because I am loyal to the objective truth. That means that there's no room for a compromise. I am "hostile" towards those who are disrespectful to the truth, to science, and to logic.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    335 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Because I am loyal to the objective truth. That means that there's no room for a compromise. I am "hostile" towards those who are disrespectful to the truth, to science, and to logic.
    The truth will always be there, even if people don't see it. You shouldn't waste your time telling people how wrong they are.

TIM
    IEE-Ne
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Because I am loyal to the objective truth.
    Seek for a therapist's help because you suffer from low self esteem. Don't believe me? Just observe how you've become an attention seeker. You find it difficult to stop compulsively answering people once you think you've got their attention. And even if you disguise your discussion as a "search for the truth", it becomes rather obvious that you don't have a clue of what objectivity means because you seem to believe that just because you read this or that it is automatically true.

Behind all your comments there is a hidden intention to prove yourself that you can hold an intellectual discussion. But since you focus more on appearing that you know what you're talking about (the impression you give to others) than in what you're actually saying, you undermine your chances of actually holding a high level conversations. It's something like the negative and positive loops of the enneagram, something like this:

http://mikemex.t35.com/socionics/esteem.gif
    [] | NP | 3[6w5]8 so/sp | Type thread | My typing of forum members | Johari (Strengths) | Nohari (Weaknesses)

You know what? You're an individual, and that makes people nervous. And it's gonna keep making people nervous for the rest of your life.
    - Ole Golly from Harriet, the spy.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thehotelambush View Post
    Better question yet: why can't he keep a lid on his idiocy?
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Logos View Post
    Better question yet: why can't he keep a lid on his idiocy?
    Every lid I've tried was either to small or too big.