View Poll Results: How has your life in general been since you began learning about Socionics?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • Definitely better

14 31.11%
  • Maybe a little bit better

18 40.00%
  • Maybe a little bit worse

6 13.33%
  • Definitely worse

5 11.11%
  • I don't really think about Socionics all that much, so this poll doesn't really apply to me.

2 4.44%

Thread: Has your overall condition improved or worsened since your learned about Socionics?

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I disagree with that assertion. The world takes on many more nuances and dimensions when you are aware of the abstractions and conceptualizations that are in the world.

TIM
    INTp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Logos View Post
    I disagree with that assertion. The world takes on many more nuances and dimensions when you are aware of the abstractions and conceptualizations that are in the world.
    +1.0000000000000000000000000000000112
    Last edited by Nexus; 07-06-2008 at 02:20 AM.

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hell yeah. Unless you've got a model that predicts the existence of wacky idea A, then wacky idea A is just an idea. After all, there is such a thing as schizophrenia which produces ...essentially irrelevant information. The question arises when facing such crazy ideas as "astrology is real", as to how credible a given idea is and whether or not it is coherent.

Certainly we must be appropriately skeptical of passages such as the following, except when put in the proper context. (being either the (unknown) neurological correlates to the phenomenon, or Hegelian dichotomy theories derived from model B):
    Boukalov A.V.
    Psycho-Informational Environment and Structure of Events within the Physical Space-Time. Synchronics

It is shown that the phenomenon of psycho-informational (psychic) environment structuring and quantization (as discovered by the author earlier) manifests itself also in the structure of physical space-time environment on the causal level, thus forming a 'magic row' of numbers: 6(7), 10(11), 16(17), 26(27), 42(43)... which act as indicators of integral patterns characteristic to any given event. As the statistical data processing, related to 850 information on accidents and catastrophes has shown, the number of individuals involved in each such accident has been really correspondent to the 'magic row' numbers. Therefore, it shall be possible to use causal models (analogous to socionic ones) for description of the internal structure of the physical space-time environment, and to create a singular fractal model (B(SIN)) that would include the structures of psycho-informational environment (ψ, I), physical space-time environment (X, T) and energy impulse (p, E). The 'space-time' component of the model is semantically tied to the psychic one and synchronistically (as С.G.Jung put it) influences participants of the event forming indivisible synchronistic event patterns indicated by the number of participating subjects or objects. The B(SIN) model also gives explanation of some paradoxes related to 'recurrence of humane history' and discovered by N.Мorozov and А.Fomenko, and certain other phenomena.
    Key words: socionics, structuring of psychic environment, synchronistic model, synchronics, Boukalov 'magic row', synchronistic archetypes, history.
    (It gets worse... according to Buky, even electoral results hinge on these "magic numbers"...) The point is that this is BULLSHIT, and without socionics awareness the barriers to communication can be very high because one has no way to tell a well thought out idea from bullshit like the above. For Alpha NTs, socionics is kind of like a "portable dual" or a "duality algorithm" that one can use to know the ground from the shit. (you can tell I'm straining for an analogy here)

@jxrtes: yes, Bukalov wrote that! Now you know why we don't take Buky's word as gospel around here!

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    335 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe, but one of the first lessons of Socionics is that the more you use T, the less you can use F.

TIM
    INTp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thehotelambush View Post
    Maybe, but one of the first lessons of Socionics is that the more you use T, the less you can use F.
    Feelings aren't always applicable...you have to think sometimes to make sense of the world.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    335 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Huitzilopochtli View Post
    Feelings aren't always applicable...you have to think sometimes to make sense of the world.
    Of course.

Creepy-Diana

TIM
    INTp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Diana View Post
    which has little to do with F vs T by the way. F types != brainless emotional wrecks, nor do T types = robotic unfeeling brainiacs.
    How so? BTW, that is known as alexithymia.

I actually took it to be more of a S vs. N view of the world than T vs. F.
    Good point.

Creepy-Diana

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not to be devil's advocate, but the world "making sense" could exclusively be an illusion of logic (which I partake in shamelessly, of course).
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thehotelambush View Post
    I actually took it to be more of a S vs. N view of the world than T vs. F.

TIM
    SEI, 9
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joy View Post
    "The more you perceive life through a mental screen of abstraction and conceptualization, the more lifeless and flat the world around you becomes." -Eckhart Tolle
    I thought the guy was meaning 'lifeless and flat' more in terms of people analysing everything to the point where they don't just feel or experience things without first trying to understand and compartmentalise them. So you miss out on 'real' living and just end up experiencing things in a one-dimensional way.
    "Language is the Rubicon that divides man from beast."

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jem View Post
    I thought the guy was meaning 'lifeless and flat' more in terms of people analysing everything to the point where they don't just feel or experience things without first trying to understand and compartmentalise them. So you miss out on 'real' living and just end up experiencing things in a one-dimensional way.
    Yes, thank you. (That "one dimension" is that of analyzation, regardless of the number of forms of mental abstractions one uses.)

Anyways, about the general idea behind this topic: I think the negative effect Socionics has on one's life is directly related to the extent which they identify themselves and others as types. One who thinks "this is the way my mind works on a certain level, but it is not who I ultimately am" won't be as negatively effected as those who very strongly identify who they ultimately are with a type/quadra/dichotomy/whatever.
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

TIM
    INTp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Am I misunderstanding? You're suggesting that T=thinking and F=feelings, right? Why should it be so? Take the elements Ti and Fi:

Ti= external statics of fields
    Fi= internal statics of fields

This simply means that while Ti structures things using relationships between measurable points, Fi does so among unmeasurable or implied points. So while "feeling" may sometimes or even often be the best way to communicate what the implied relationship is and how the Fi type is processing the information, and "logic" the measurable and Ti processes, neither have a lot to do with emotion and thinking. A logical type can be emotionally driven and relying on feelings as much as an ethical type can be. Being detached or non-emotional or relying on brain>heart doesn't make someone a logical type either.

My 2 cents.
    I believe that feeling is usually expressed using emotions, as a general construct, and thinking with thoughts; so if you have no emotions you are not feeling (though you may have felt before when you did), and if you have no thoughts you are not thinking.

Yes, thank you. (That "one dimension" is that of analyzation, regardless of the number of forms of mental abstractions one uses.)

Anyways, about the general idea behind this topic: I think the negative effect Socionics has on one's life is directly related to the extent which they identify themselves and others as types. One who thinks "this is the way my mind works on a certain level, but it is not who I ultimately am" won't be as negatively effected as those who very strongly identify who they ultimately are with a type/quadra/dichotomy/whatever.
    Have you considered ESE? That statement (and a preference for sensation untainted by abstraction or taxonomy) is not characteristic of intuitive-types. Also, your conclusions seem to be based on a subjective measure of 'is this influence bad' rather than 'does this event happen', which is typical of feeling-types:

"The more you perceive life through a mental screen of abstraction and conceptualization, the more lifeless and flat the world around you becomes." -Eckhart Tolle

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have you considered ESE? That statement (and a preference for sensation untainted by abstraction or taxonomy) is not characteristic of intuitive-types. Also, your conclusions seem to be based on a subjective measure of 'is this influence bad' rather than 'does this event happen', which is typical of feeling-types:
    I have a few different answers.

First of all, there's no chance that I'm ESE, or any sensory type. I'm not asking you to believe me, but stating my stance on the matter based on how different information elements come to play in my mind and life.

Secondly, the things that I'm talking about here aren't ideas that I have always held at the forefront of my mind. My "automatic" mode is Te + Ni.

Lastly... I don't entirely care what type I "am" anymore. I don't doubt LIE, and Socionics is an interesting and (imo) valid theory. However, it's losing its draw for me. I no longer see "my type" as who I am (or who anyone else is).
    SEE

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a few different answers.

First of all, there's no chance that I'm ESE, or any sensory type. I'm not asking you to believe me, but stating my stance on the matter based on how different information elements come to play in my mind and life.

Secondly, the things that I'm talking about here aren't ideas that I have always held at the forefront of my mind. My "automatic" mode is Te + Ni.

Lastly... I don't entirely care what type I "am" anymore. I don't doubt LIE, and Socionics is an interesting and (imo) valid theory. However, it's losing its draw for me. I no longer see "my type" as who I am (or who anyone else is).
    Type does not define who you are; it defines how well you know who you are and in what ways. Type defines your personality, not your person.

Humans have evolved, it seems, only to observe personality. (or maybe this only applies to thinking types?) You may have many components of who you are, but you will repress those components of which your awareness is poor when in social situations, choosing instead to accentuate your strengths however possible.

So now isn't that supposed to be the domain of the enneagram? What motivations actually exist in people?

Creepy-Diana

Creepy-Cyclops

I agree with Huitzilopochtlis' definition of this. As a general construct I think it is reasonable.

If someone has no emotions at all, one could say they do not possess any F. Everyone possesses some F.

Diana, I believe he is saying that if there is no emotions present at all, then at that moment there is no F. Diana, it is you who does not understand.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    I agree with Huitzilopochtlis' definition of this. As a general construct I think it is reasonable.

If someone has no emotions at all, one could say they do not possess any F. Everyone possesses some F.

Diana, I believe he is saying that if there is no emotions present at all, then at that moment there is no F. Diana, it is you who does not understand.
    Negative.

Ethics is not the same as "feelings". Logic is not the same as "thinking". (Logic and Ethics don't even mean "logic" and "ethics" if you look at the English definitions of those words.)

What those who say "T" and "F" are referring to is pop MBTT, not Socionics.
    SEE

Creepy-Diana

TIM
    INTp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You're mixing up socionics ethics and logic with feeling and thinking. They're not the same thing which is what I've been trying to explain. A logical type can very easily be more emotional and feeling-based than an ethical type.

For example, when you start to get a feel for a new project, place or situation, are you emotionally reacting to such, or are you just developing an understanding of those things beyond the strict facts of each? That's closer to F than emotion is. In socionics F does not = emotion. Like it or not, everyone thinks, and emotional people who do stupid things based on feelings rather than thought can just as easily be logical types as ethical. Being an ethical type doen't mean you bumble around without thought and have no brains. Nor does being a logical type mean you have to actually act logically and don't do things based solely on emotion.
    What other type of logic and emotion exists, that requires socionics to be explained? Feeling is an ethical distinction, and thinking a is logical one. What you described is a combination of 'sensing' and 'intuition', it has nothing to do with the conclusions that you derive from the experience of gathering data. Once you do reach a conclusion, you will have thought or felt (this is why T/F dominant types are more likely to make judgments, and S/N types are likely to perceive...BTW feel can also mean touch-response, in which case it is sensory...but we are discussing emotions, which would otherwise be left quite unaddressable by the rest of socionic theory although they have a huge influence on individual behaviors and social relations). And you are the only one that is taking T and F stereotypes to the extreme.

Negative.

Ethics is not the same as "feelings". Logic is not the same as "thinking". (Logic and Ethics don't even mean "logic" and "ethics" if you look at the English definitions of those words.)

What those who say "T" and "F" are referring to is pop MBTT, not Socionics.
    To be ethical you need to feel (thinking alone will not cover all of considerations that are necessary and probably lead you off track or negligent of the other's emotions). To be logical you need to think (there is no other way to do this). They are both dependent on each other to some degree, but a preference to use either one excessively will cause you to behave differently. MBTT is irrelevant, and if you were a proponent you wouldn't cast ambiguous doubts on it.