View Poll Results: How has your life in general been since you began learning about Socionics?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • Definitely better

14 31.11%
  • Maybe a little bit better

18 40.00%
  • Maybe a little bit worse

6 13.33%
  • Definitely worse

5 11.11%
  • I don't really think about Socionics all that much, so this poll doesn't really apply to me.

2 4.44%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Has your overall condition improved or worsened since your learned about Socionics?

TIM
    INTp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thehotelambush View Post
    Maybe, but one of the first lessons of Socionics is that the more you use T, the less you can use F.
    Feelings aren't always applicable...you have to think sometimes to make sense of the world.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    335 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Huitzilopochtli View Post
    Feelings aren't always applicable...you have to think sometimes to make sense of the world.
    Of course.

Creepy-Diana

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thehotelambush View Post
    Maybe, but one of the first lessons of Socionics is that the more you use T, the less you can use F.
    I actually took it to be more of a S vs. N view of the world than T vs. F.

TIM
    INTp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Diana View Post
    which has little to do with F vs T by the way. F types != brainless emotional wrecks, nor do T types = robotic unfeeling brainiacs.
    How so? BTW, that is known as alexithymia.

Quote Originally Posted by Logos View Post
    I actually took it to be more of a S vs. N view of the world than T vs. F.
    Good point.

TIM
    SEI, 9
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joy View Post
    "The more you perceive life through a mental screen of abstraction and conceptualization, the more lifeless and flat the world around you becomes." -Eckhart Tolle
    I disagree with that assertion. The world takes on many more nuances and dimensions when you are aware of the abstractions and conceptualizations that are in the world.
    I thought the guy was meaning 'lifeless and flat' more in terms of people analysing everything to the point where they don't just feel or experience things without first trying to understand and compartmentalise them. So you miss out on 'real' living and just end up experiencing things in a one-dimensional way.
    "Language is the Rubicon that divides man from beast."

Creepy-Diana

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not to be devil's advocate, but the world "making sense" could exclusively be an illusion of logic (which I partake in shamelessly, of course).
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jem View Post
    I thought the guy was meaning 'lifeless and flat' more in terms of people analysing everything to the point where they don't just feel or experience things without first trying to understand and compartmentalise them. So you miss out on 'real' living and just end up experiencing things in a one-dimensional way.
    Yes, thank you. (That "one dimension" is that of analyzation, regardless of the number of forms of mental abstractions one uses.)

Anyways, about the general idea behind this topic: I think the negative effect Socionics has on one's life is directly related to the extent which they identify themselves and others as types. One who thinks "this is the way my mind works on a certain level, but it is not who I ultimately am" won't be as negatively effected as those who very strongly identify who they ultimately are with a type/quadra/dichotomy/whatever.
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks
    SEE

TIM
    INTp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Am I misunderstanding? You're suggesting that T=thinking and F=feelings, right? Why should it be so? Take the elements Ti and Fi:

Ti= external statics of fields
    Fi= internal statics of fields

This simply means that while Ti structures things using relationships between measurable points, Fi does so among unmeasurable or implied points. So while "feeling" may sometimes or even often be the best way to communicate what the implied relationship is and how the Fi type is processing the information, and "logic" the measurable and Ti processes, neither have a lot to do with emotion and thinking. A logical type can be emotionally driven and relying on feelings as much as an ethical type can be. Being detached or non-emotional or relying on brain>heart doesn't make someone a logical type either.

My 2 cents.
    I believe that feeling is usually expressed using emotions, as a general construct, and thinking with thoughts; so if you have no emotions you are not feeling (though you may have felt before when you did), and if you have no thoughts you are not thinking.

Yes, thank you. (That "one dimension" is that of analyzation, regardless of the number of forms of mental abstractions one uses.)

Anyways, about the general idea behind this topic: I think the negative effect Socionics has on one's life is directly related to the extent which they identify themselves and others as types. One who thinks "this is the way my mind works on a certain level, but it is not who I ultimately am" won't be as negatively effected as those who very strongly identify who they ultimately are with a type/quadra/dichotomy/whatever.
    Have you considered ESE? That statement (and a preference for sensation untainted by abstraction or taxonomy) is not characteristic of intuitive-types. Also, your conclusions seem to be based on a subjective measure of 'is this influence bad' rather than 'does this event happen', which is typical of feeling-types:

"The more you perceive life through a mental screen of abstraction and conceptualization, the more lifeless and flat the world around you becomes." -Eckhart Tolle

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have you considered ESE? That statement (and a preference for sensation untainted by abstraction or taxonomy) is not characteristic of intuitive-types. Also, your conclusions seem to be based on a subjective measure of 'is this influence bad' rather than 'does this event happen', which is typical of feeling-types:
    I have a few different answers.

First of all, there's no chance that I'm ESE, or any sensory type. I'm not asking you to believe me, but stating my stance on the matter based on how different information elements come to play in my mind and life.

Secondly, the things that I'm talking about here aren't ideas that I have always held at the forefront of my mind. My "automatic" mode is Te + Ni.

Lastly... I don't entirely care what type I "am" anymore. I don't doubt LIE, and Socionics is an interesting and (imo) valid theory. However, it's losing its draw for me. I no longer see "my type" as who I am (or who anyone else is).
    SEE

Creepy-Diana

Creepy-Cyclops

I agree with Huitzilopochtlis' definition of this. As a general construct I think it is reasonable.

If someone has no emotions at all, one could say they do not possess any F. Everyone possesses some F.

Diana, I believe he is saying that if there is no emotions present at all, then at that moment there is no F. Diana, it is you who does not understand.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    I agree with Huitzilopochtlis' definition of this. As a general construct I think it is reasonable.

If someone has no emotions at all, one could say they do not possess any F. Everyone possesses some F.

Diana, I believe he is saying that if there is no emotions present at all, then at that moment there is no F. Diana, it is you who does not understand.
    Negative.

Ethics is not the same as "feelings". Logic is not the same as "thinking". (Logic and Ethics don't even mean "logic" and "ethics" if you look at the English definitions of those words.)

What those who say "T" and "F" are referring to is pop MBTT, not Socionics.
    SEE

Creepy-Diana

Creepy-Cyclops

@Joy, I never said ethics are the same as logic etc.. it seems you confused about the socionic definition of these terminologies. You are chopping and changing from a dictionary definition which is not a socionic definition. It would help if you clarified your definitions of socionic dichotomies of T and F rather than confusing it with common English definitions.

If definitions were clarified and agreed on, then Huitz's statement could be refined more. It's ok enough in general.

@Diana, I know what you mean, Tcaudligg may use his F functions at times. You will use your T functions at times. Now what I wonder is, if someone had their F functions removed, how do you think they would act?

TIM
    INTp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You're mixing up socionics ethics and logic with feeling and thinking. They're not the same thing which is what I've been trying to explain. A logical type can very easily be more emotional and feeling-based than an ethical type.

For example, when you start to get a feel for a new project, place or situation, are you emotionally reacting to such, or are you just developing an understanding of those things beyond the strict facts of each? That's closer to F than emotion is. In socionics F does not = emotion. Like it or not, everyone thinks, and emotional people who do stupid things based on feelings rather than thought can just as easily be logical types as ethical. Being an ethical type doen't mean you bumble around without thought and have no brains. Nor does being a logical type mean you have to actually act logically and don't do things based solely on emotion.
    What other type of logic and emotion exists, that requires socionics to be explained? Feeling is an ethical distinction, and thinking a is logical one. What you described is a combination of 'sensing' and 'intuition', it has nothing to do with the conclusions that you derive from the experience of gathering data. Once you do reach a conclusion, you will have thought or felt (this is why T/F dominant types are more likely to make judgments, and S/N types are likely to perceive...BTW feel can also mean touch-response, in which case it is sensory...but we are discussing emotions, which would otherwise be left quite unaddressable by the rest of socionic theory although they have a huge influence on individual behaviors and social relations). And you are the only one that is taking T and F stereotypes to the extreme.

Negative.

Ethics is not the same as "feelings". Logic is not the same as "thinking". (Logic and Ethics don't even mean "logic" and "ethics" if you look at the English definitions of those words.)

What those who say "T" and "F" are referring to is pop MBTT, not Socionics.
    To be ethical you need to feel (thinking alone will not cover all of considerations that are necessary and probably lead you off track or negligent of the other's emotions). To be logical you need to think (there is no other way to do this). They are both dependent on each other to some degree, but a preference to use either one excessively will cause you to behave differently. MBTT is irrelevant, and if you were a proponent you wouldn't cast ambiguous doubts on it.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Diana, I know what you mean, Tcaudligg may use his F functions at times. You will use your T functions at times. Now what I wonder is, if someone had their F functions removed, how do you think they would act?
    What is intestead to me interesting is to not that they do not use their ethical functions when, for example, they become irritated when they defend their theories: their ethical functions are not under their conscious control and thus they are not particularly good at using them. This is why it is important to make the distinction between emotions, which are inherent to every human being - be it F or T - and ethical functions, which are a way to organize and deal with information. They're definitely better suited than logical functions at dealing with emotions of every kind, but this does not mean that Ts will be less emotional than Fs.

TIM
    INTp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    What is intestead to me interesting is to not that they do not use their ethical functions when, for example, they become irritated when they defend their theories: their ethical functions are not under their conscious control and thus they are not particularly good at using them. This is why it is important to make the distinction between emotions, which are inherent to every human being - be it F or T - and ethical functions, which are a way to organize and deal with information. They're definitely better suited than logical functions at dealing with emotions of every kind, but this does not mean that Ts will be less emotional than Fs.
    To clarify, emotions are the result of the use of ethical functions.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To clarify, emotions are the result of the use of ethical functions.
    That is completely nonsensical. Would you say that when I get a rush of adrenaline and the corresponding emotion I am using an ethical function?

TIM
    INTp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is completely nonsensical. Would you say that when I get a rush of adrenaline and the corresponding emotion I am using an ethical function?
    You feel adrenalin (unless you just took a lot of stimulants) as a result of emotively processing a stimuli that was either very good (a thrill) or very bad (danger). This wakes you up and prepares you to deal with very good or bad stimuli effectively, requires very little thought, and is an ethical judgment. Thinking 2 + 2 = 4 will not leave you with excess adrenalin or major depression as much as it will give you a logical foundation for thought. And thank you for immediately deciding that it was nonsensical. I'm seeing a trend in mistyped LIEs on this thread.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You feel adrenalin (unless you just took a lot of stimulants) as a result of emotively processing a stimuli that was either very good (a thrill) or very bad (danger). This wakes you up and prepares you to deal with very good or bad stimuli effectively, requires very little thought, and is an ethical judgment. Thinking 2 + 2 = 4 will not leave you with excess adrenalin or major depression as much as it will give you a logical foundation for thought. And thank you for immediately deciding that it was nonsensical. I'm seeing a trend in mistyped LIEs on this thread.
    Emotively processing a stimuli does not equate with using an ethical function, every human being is capable of such (except special cases, perhaps like autism and such - I am not an expert on the matter). You're basically saying that hearing or seeing something implies the usage of the Se function. Type-calling is an incorrect logical procedure in deciding which side of a dispute is right.

TIM
    INTp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Emotively processing a stimuli does not equate with using an ethical function, every human being is capable of such (except special cases, perhaps like autism and such - I am not an expert on the matter). You're basically saying that hearing or seeing something implies the usage of the Se function. Type-calling is an incorrect logical procedure in deciding which side of a dispute is right.
    That has nothing to do with the dispute (to say that it it does, like calling my claim nonsensical without logical evidence of your own, is simply an appeal to emotional persuasion and a logical fallacy at that). You didn't use any reason, and I'm still waiting to hear your rebuttal concerning adrenalin...

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That has nothing to do with the dispute. You didn't use any logic, and I'm still waiting to hear your rebuttal concerning adrenalin...
    You're not hearing my rebuttal - I simply said that reacting to basic stimuli is not something that can be related to a function, and that you will not find any socionics literature that supports such assertion. Basically, you're completely and utterly wrong.

That has an influence with the dispute, because (and many people employ this technique, so don't think you're particularly smart for doing so) you indirectly discredit your opponent by saying that he is mistyped as a logical type - simply due to the fact that he disagrees with your opinion.

There is no attempt at persuasion in me saying that something is nonsensical, given that I am not adressing anybody.

TIM
    INTp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hostage_Child View Post
    Semantics, semantics, semantics.

Reason and emotion are what makes us humans. I have many emotions and enjoy their presence, usually, however, I would rather allow reason to rule those emotions in how I make conclusions on important matters, on how I approach ideas and individuals hence why I value fairness versus staying true to one's passion. Others will subvert reason to those feelings. It's a matter of comfort and priority. Words do not accurately convey what it means to feel, what it means to think. To think we understand so much is folly as far as I am concerned hence why I usually stay out of such empty matters, but I am liable to engage in more foolishness than I ought.
    Naturally we are only referring to the action of thought and emotion (of which we are sufficiently aware), we are not defining them completely.

TIM
    INTp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You're not hearing my rebuttal - I simply said that reacting to basic stimuli is not something that can be related to a function, and that you will not find any socionics literature that supports such assertion. Basically, you're completely and utterly wrong.

That has an influence with the dispute, because (and many people employ this technique, so don't think you're particularly smart for doing so) you indirectly discredit your opponent by saying that he is mistyped as a logical type - simply due to the fact that he disagrees with your opinion.

There is no attempt at persuasion in me saying that something is nonsensical, given that I am not adressing anybody.
    Ah, so according to you feeling and thinking are both ignorant of sensed reality, and instead respond to hallucinations and imaginary friends...and please go back and read the revised post if want to see why I think you're mistyped...it has nothing to do with you not defending your definitions, which you might just suck at, it has more to do with completely abandoning logic and becoming very emotional. If there is nothing in the research literature it does not mean that I am wrong (another logical fallacy). You can be an F-type and still provide a logical conclusion, but feeling about it (as you are doing) will not help.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah, so according to you feeling and thinking are both ignorant of sensed reality, and instead respond to hallucinations and imaginary friends...and please go back and read the revised post if want to see why I think you're mistyped...it has nothing to do with you not defending your definitions, which you might just suck at, it has more to do with completely abandoning logic and becoming very emotional.
    You're clearly completely mis-interpreting my point, and this discussion will not end in anything productive for any of the parties. From my perspective, it is you that have gotten emotional over the matter. Probably we both have. Bye.

(and, getting emotional over something is not a sign of being an F type - you are still making a very big mistake)

TIM
    INTp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You're clearly completely mis-interpreting my point, and this discussion will not end in anything productive for any of the parties. From my perspective, it is you that have gotten emotional over the matter. Probably we both have. Bye.
    Let me know when you figure out how thought (or any function besides emotion) causes adrenalin.

TIM
    INTp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hostage_Child View Post
    All is fine, but I agree with FDG (and I'm saying this towards a general audience), don't bring the mistyping thing into the equation. You don't have to believe anyone a certain type, but I think it is a highly inappropriate practice to bring someone's type into the equation publicly on an online forum without the other party's consent. I overlooked it for a long while but I have lost my tolerance level for it, won't address individuals, but not that anyone cares, I'm inclined to regard people who do this often as parroting dumb-fuckery versus making anything close to a reasonable or credible argument and does far more harm than good on the large scale. Plus it is extremely ghey as well as simple-minded, IMO. I'm just making a point here, not that I'm preaching at you are anyone individually so we can leave out misunderstandings.

I try not to let my personal feelings leak into a forum of this nature, but I have a mind I can speak.

Please progress.
    I apologize, but he was ignoring the logic of my argument and appealing to emotions. At first he said it was decidedly nonsensical (with no support), then that there was no research supporting this (which I disbelieve but likewise would be indicative of paranoia in the context of my rational argument), and when I mentioned on the side that he might be an F-type he began using that as an excuse to ignore my original logic and feigned a personal attack. I can't help but assess everything simultaneously, even if it seems irrelevant to the argument (which it is in this case). I also never claimed that an F-type cannot make a good argument (in fact I stated the opposite). FDG implied this when he began to use this taxonomy to dodge the logic even further.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Joy, I never said ethics are the same as logic etc..
    I didn't say that you did.

it seems you confused about the socionic definition of these terminologies. You are chopping and changing from a dictionary definition which is not a socionic definition.
    That's exactly what I'm not doing.

It would help if you clarified your definitions of socionic dichotomies of T and F rather than confusing it with common English definitions.
    It wouldn't make a difference, aside from making me sound like I'm talking about pop MBTT instead of Socionics. Equating Fe/Fi with "feelings" is a better example of confusing a term with the English definition of a word.
    SEE

Creepy-Diana

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with Diana, FDG, and Joy (apart from the idea that analysis creates a "one dimensional" life) on this matter.

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a few different answers.

First of all, there's no chance that I'm ESE, or any sensory type. I'm not asking you to believe me, but stating my stance on the matter based on how different information elements come to play in my mind and life.

Secondly, the things that I'm talking about here aren't ideas that I have always held at the forefront of my mind. My "automatic" mode is Te + Ni.

Lastly... I don't entirely care what type I "am" anymore. I don't doubt LIE, and Socionics is an interesting and (imo) valid theory. However, it's losing its draw for me. I no longer see "my type" as who I am (or who anyone else is).
    Type does not define who you are; it defines how well you know who you are and in what ways. Type defines your personality, not your person.

Humans have evolved, it seems, only to observe personality. (or maybe this only applies to thinking types?) You may have many components of who you are, but you will repress those components of which your awareness is poor when in social situations, choosing instead to accentuate your strengths however possible.

So now isn't that supposed to be the domain of the enneagram? What motivations actually exist in people?

TIM
    INTp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, thank you. This is what I was trying to convey.

-----
    See H, a person's type is determined by the arrangement of the elements in their psyche, how they filter and sort and take in information. If you say that F = emotion and T = thought you're suggesting a lot of really stupid things. Look at the implications to that. Do you honestly believe that rather than thinking about any topic ethical types feel their way through it. "Oh, that word makes me sad, and that one makes me happy, and hmm, now I'm angry" and the only time they actually comprehend anything is when they resort to thinking functions? No, it's not emotion.

Emotion is things like happy, sad, angry, jealous, worried, anxious, joy, exuberance, pride etc. Ethical elements on the other hand are more about noticing subtleties, undercurrents, implications, loose and undefined relationships between things, etc.

You start a new job. Within a short amount of time you understand what's expected of you not through a written set of rules and expectations, but from what you've gathered from observation and reactions. If you can understand what's expected but would not be able to write out a set of rules for each and every instance that are always true, your understanding has come through ethics. If, on the other hand you understand what's expected of you because there is a set of rules to follow, and a handbook telling you what you should do, or you could easily write down a set of rules based on your own observation, your understanding has come through a logic.

If you're going to try to put strict dictionary definitions on each F,T,N,S rather than understand what they're really about, you'll come away with some very odd ideas about people. Us poor SFs for instance are pretty much screwed. We mostly just sense and feel, and only occassionally do we actually think or intuit what's going on. We're destined to a supreme lack of any real understanding, and bumble about emotional and sensing, worse off than animals. We're like very emotional trained monkeys. Shoot, worse, because we have such a hard time understanding cause and effect which even monkeys can do.

Emotion is simply emotion. It is not the same thing as socionics F. Nor do you have to employ an ethical function in order to feel emotion.
    Once again, your feel is known as intuition in socionics. If a word makes you moody, you have felt emotional about it whether because of the auditory or visual sensation, or the intuitive connotations (F) or denotations (T). In fact, feeling about words and making intuitive associations with other words is what gives them their unique connotations (aka intuitive 'feel'). If you can't apply something to any hypothetical situation then you haven't understood it at all, only the context in which you can predictably manipulate it. If you feel bad about that then you have felt, and this does not require understanding beyond the one instance that you need to apply it, which is the circumstance that is upsetting you. I never said that feeling types don't think, I said that they are likely to come to a conclusion with more subjective than objective value (see, you are the one who is using stereotypes to make a point). By the way, the process of thinking is based on the positive reinforcement of correct syntax, so on a more subconscious level you really are feeling good about logical ideas when you think. Likewise when you feel, you are thinking about which emotion is most relevant to your understanding, thus neither is independent as you seem to suggest. I can't tell if you're being sarcastic about SFs, but if you are going to use that as proof of your argument I will agree that you're probably not logical-type.
    Last edited by Nexus; 07-07-2008 at 12:22 AM.

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with Diana, FDG, and Joy (apart from the idea that analysis creates a "one dimensional" life) on this matter.
    You know I think all this type business is only a prelude to the discussion of the real self that lies within, the self that exists whether it has social utility or not. Now, with type, we're discussing the persona that is not a mask which "hides" the real person, but is the conscious choice of the individual in relating themselves to society effectively.

The social mask is too strong to be broken through by people we think of as psychologically healthy. Only the personality disordered feel comfortable enough, in youth at least (some Jung is coming to mind here, especially his later works), to grapple with the real self within, that is filled with rage at being denied. They don't want to destroy us; they want to force us to see ourselves for what we really are, and to grapple with it. We call them personality disordered (or the common term, sociopath) because they engage in this grappling at society's expense, just as we engage in social necessity at our "own" expense.

Creepy-Diana

TIM
    INTp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Holy crap, you can't tell if I'm being sarcastic about SF types? A blind man could see that. It follows contextually with "you'll come away with some very odd ideas about people."

And you're wrong. Please educate yourself before you try to correct other people. F is not emotion, T is not thought, N is not quite intuition in the way you think it is, nor is S purely the 5 senses.
    Again, I can't tell if you're being sarcastic. Can I say that socionics is socionics, or is it something different in socionics?

Creepy-Diana

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast