Hybrid View

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    335 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wasp View Post
    there is a disparity between Si and Se in the athletic realm, but I don't think that distinction is as simple as: "Se can do competition, while Si struggles"
    Se and Si aren't people, they're mental processes. Whenever you're pushing yourself or making effort you're using Se. When you're paying attention to your state of comfort and physical needs, you're using Si. It's really not that complicated.

when I think of Si in athletics, I think of mastering your body by recognizing its natural strengths and honing them, gauging its limitations, finding ways to circumvent those limitations via your natural strengths, making your body do what you want it to do without burning yourself out, regardless of extraneous pressures, because at the end of the day, your self-esteem lies in your ability to read these cues, and to adjust to them accordingly. essentially there is no need to feel threatened by competition and/or "powerful" opponents if you're confident in your own talent(s) and in control of yourself.
    Roughly yes, if it's something you can do naturally it wouldn't use (much) Se. But getting better athletically almost always entails pushing yourself somehow.

(I think it's important to note that quick reflexes are commonly attributed to Ne-egos [specifically alpha NTs] so they don't buckle under "pressure" in the way that it's been portrayed here, instead it's more like an aversion to excessive physical exertion, not falling prey to threatening circumstances or people)
    Commonly? I've never heard that before in my life.

TIM
    SLE-Ti 8w7 so/sp
    Mentioned
    270 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thehotelambush View Post
    Se and Si aren't people, they're mental processes. Whenever you're pushing yourself or making effort you're using Se. When you're paying attention to your state of comfort and physical needs, you're using Si. It's really not that complicated.

Roughly yes, if it's something you can do naturally it wouldn't use (much) Se. But getting better athletically almost always entails pushing yourself somehow.

Commonly? I've never heard that before in my life.
    She's right.

Any type can push themselves in the area of their ego.

That doesn't have to do with cognition....it's a core characteristic of ego pertinent to Freud's reality principle:

"the ego's control of the pleasure-seeking activity of the id in order to meet the demands of the external world."