Thread: fictional characters you strongly identify with

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't necessarily think that all the characters I listed are of my own type.
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Expat View Post
    I don't necessarily think that all the characters I listed are of my own type.
    That's also good to know. That was more a general disclaimer in case someone thought my statement about LIIs not being common primary characters (or at least standout) in fiction should be interpreted in light of the above characters I said I identified with to mean that those characters somehow were all characters I thought were LII.
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Expat
    Octavian in Rome
    Quote Originally Posted by Joy
    Yeah, I actually identified pretty strong with Octavian from Rome. He seemed to repeatedly say and do what I would say and do in the situations he was in (especially immediately after Julius Caesar died). There are very, very few characters I can say this of (I can't really think of any, actually).
    Interesting. I thought Octavian was a good portrayal of an ENTj (and Livia even seemed somewhat ISFj). What I liked about his character in a Socionics sense was I could easily see as the first function.

He seemed really cold to me (though not so much as boy).

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Te dominants are cold from a Beta perspective. (The show was written from a Beta perspective.)
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Te dominants are cold from a Beta perspective. (The show was written from a Beta perspective.)
    That could/would make sense.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    That could/would make sense.
    The show's original creator, John Milius, is almost certainly a Beta and probably SLE in my opinion. Still, I think that there was some Gamma input since the historical consultant, Jonathan Stamp, is LIE (very obvious from his interviews in the DVD).

For an account of the same events from a Gamma-biased point of view, there is the novel Antony & Cleopatra, just published, by the ESI Colleen McCullough. She wrote a whole series of very accurate novels on that period.
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know. I haven't really read a lot of fiction, either.
    Posts I wrote in the past contain less nuance.
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~an extraverted consciousness is unable to believe in invisible forces.
    ~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    383 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Samwise Gamgee from "The Lord of the Rings"
    Rebecca from "Ivanhoe"

I try to identify with one character in every book I read. If I can't, I decide the book is stupid and stop reading it.
    Last edited by DirectorAbbie; 03-18-2009 at 09:09 PM.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

TIM
    NiTe
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DirectorAbbie View Post
    Samwise Gamgee from "The Lord of the Rings"
    Rebecca from "Ivanhoe"

I try to identify with one character in every book I read. If I can't, I decide the book is stupid and stop reading it.
    Interesting that it takes some effort. The ethicals have thought up very long lists by contrast

'Identify with' means to sort of group together in the abstract, does it not? If it's a mere linking from admiration or desire to resemble a romantic character, that's perhaps more understandable, but it's a bit surprising that many people can relate their images of themselves to multiple protagonists and main characters

Tbh I've decided one of the major flaws shared amongst forumites lies in this heroic self-delusion, and for this reason, typings have become not only unclear but also sort of fraught

I appreciate your choices btw.

from toronto with love ScarlettLux's Avatar
    TIM
    Beta sx 3w4;7w8
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Scarlett O'Hara for sure (that's where part of my username comes from!)

Her grit, determination and must I admit, selfishness, resonate fully with me. Also the extent of her selfishness ... the way she learns over the course of the novel how insanely unselfish others can be, and how much she is secretly ashamed of herself.

Lux Lisbon from The Virgin Suicides (Movie) - Other part of my username, lol

Her outer cheerful appearances hide a serious melancholic, destructive inner nature. She falls in deep love with a guy, is jilted, and resorts to sexual escapades to fill that empty hole. Like how I would get.

Dress pretty, play dirty ღ
    Johari
    Nohari

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Both Narcissus and Goldmund from Herman Hesse' novel Narcissus and Goldmund. I identify with Narcissus in the sense of living a relatively solitary, acetic lifestyle, with a primary focus on intellectual matters, while Goldmund resonates with me on the level of being a wandering romantic, always in search of his true purpose, choosing to learn about the world not through books or the advice of others, but by living his own life and learning almost solely from his mistakes and experiences, becoming hardened and jaded and (eventually) having an epiphany about the meaning of his life.

I also identify with Ged, the main character in Ursula LeGuin's first novel of her Earthsea Triology, A Wizard of Earthsea. Ged is ambitious and hotheaded as he begins to learn the secrets of magic as a young mage, and when he goes away to school to become an official wizard, he unleashes a dark spirit when trying to impress his friends and outdo his rival by raising the dead. This leads to a long journey during which he is obligated to be alternately in flight from and in search of this spirit from beyond the living world. He is only freed from his curse when he recognizes that the dark spirit is a shadow of himself, his own death, and is able to name the spirit as his own and accept the inevitability of death and the evil consequences he has wrought on those around him through his arrogance.

Howl from Howl's Moving Castle is a big one for me, too. He has a lot of potential but always seems to be "on the run" from the obligation he has to others as a result of his power. He lives a solitary life with only a few cohorts who he deals with in a relatively aloof manner. He uses his dual nature as both a man and monster to walk a fine line between the worlds of love and violence, and disregards the effects it might have on him personally in order to further the greater good. He hides from authority and needs the impetus of another to face it head on and deal with problems that he is otherwise in constant flight from. He also experiences frequent spells of self-absorbed depression over small matters and turns them into big personal issues.
    Last edited by Gilly; 06-09-2008 at 12:09 AM.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
    I also identify with Ged, the main character in Ursula LeGuin's first novel of her Earthsea Triology, A Wizard of Earthsea. Ged is ambitious and hotheaded as he begins to learn the secrets of magic as a young mage, and when he goes away to school to become an official wizard, he unleashes a dark spirit when trying to impress his friends and outdo his rival by raising the dead. This leads to a long journey during which he is obligated to be alternately in flight from and in search of this spirit from beyond the living world. He is only freed from his curse when he recognizes that the dark spirit is a shadow of himself, his own death, and is able to name the spirit as his own and accept the inevitability of death and the evil consequences he has wrought on those around him through his arrogance.
    Incidentally, Ged was also on my list, but I removed him since I already thought that I had enough on my list and that having too many main characters would perhaps give the misrepresentation that I just identify with main characters in general.
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You worry too much about the appearance of a lack of objectivity. I've never heard of most of the characters on your list. Is it so strange to think that an LII would be drawn to fiction with LII/Alpha main characters? There's enough fiction in the world for all of us.
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/