Thread: Introverted Intuition

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Introverted Intuition

Could someone explain to me the nature of Ni? This has to be the most elusive function for me. I'm not really sure what it amounts to.

Jason

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's not about time, foresight, being a prophet or having a feeling of impending doom.

It's about seeing the essence of things, making intangible connections within fields, tracking underlying activity and patterns, formulating abstract images to summarize the gestalt of ideas.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    335 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by strrrng View Post
    It's not about time, foresight, being a prophet or having a feeling of impending doom.
    All these things are related to Ni, even if a bit exaggerated.

It's about seeing the essence of things, making intangible connections within fields, tracking underlying activity and patterns, formulating abstract images to summarize the gestalt of ideas.
    Seeing the essence of things is really Ne (qualities that persist over time rather than evolve), but the rest is all good stuff. "tracking underlying activity and patterns" is a good example of how an Ni ego person might describe it.

TIM
    INTj
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thehotelambush View Post
    All these things are related to Ni, even if a bit exaggerated.

Seeing the essence of things is really Ne (qualities that persist over time rather than evolve), but the rest is all good stuff. "tracking underlying activity and patterns" is a good example of how an Ni ego person might describe it.
    i agree.

i think the original description is likely to be recognizable to all intuitives.

TIM
    Mumpsimus
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

+1. Sounds right!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

according to your definition, those are all things i do naturally, including the first things.

i believe there are different kinds of essences. one an Ne version, one an Ni version. so, semantics can get in the way of understanding.... Ni is an INNER essence, while Ne is an OVERALL essence. sound right?

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

again, people, let's stop focusing on stupid reifications like calling a psychic function "time" or "foresight". It's about what the function does. wtf do you think? all Ni people sit around at home making predictions about the future, waiting for some Se person to come in and save the day with their magnificent willpower? Give me a break. Move past the stereotypes or don't bother responding lol.

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Additionally, Ne does not see the essence like Ni does. It can formulate a perceptive picture of something, sure; but it is always based off of data that is outside of the subject (hence objects)...Ni people have an inherent "seeing" about them.

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dbmmama
    according to your definition, those are all things i do naturally, including the first things.

i believe there are different kinds of essences. one an Ne version, one an Ni version. so, semantics can get in the way of understanding.... Ni is an INNER essence, while Ne is an OVERALL essence. sound right?
    whether you do those things or not is irrelevant; they do not in any way describe what Ni is.

I generally agree with your second statement.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

again, people, let's stop focusing on stupid reifications like calling a psychic function "time" or "foresight". It's about what the function does. wtf do you think? all Ni people sit around at home making predictions about the future, waiting for some Se person to come in and save the day with their magnificent willpower? Give me a break. Move past the stereotypes or don't bother responding lol.
    i don't see what you are so upset about actually.

the inner essence of time and predictions and such that i "see" as my inner knowing tells ME WHAT TO TAKE ACTION on. i don't wait for someone else to come along with Se. i use my own will to do what my Ni knows and tells me to do. MY inner knowing is MY inner knowing to take action on. another's is theirs to take action on or not.

maybe this is the Ni/Se combo working together is in a different way than an Ni dom or even ego?

off to dr for son, talk later. love

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dbmmama View Post

Maybe I'm just not smart enough, but whenever people try to explain the functions in terms of the information aspects, it often sounds like a load of hand waving nonsense.
    LII

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by akeaneau
    Maybe I'm just not smart enough, but whenever people try to explain the functions in terms of the information aspects, it often sounds like a load of hand waving nonsense.
    don't worry. people just don't describe them accurately.

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you're going to define the elements, you'd best break them down into + vs -.

+ elements try to be accepted by the object; - elements try to maintain themselves against it until the object accepts them.

+Ne says, "I have my own pet hypothesis, but I need to test it to make sure it can really happen." The +Ne element takes +Ne hypotheses, and tests them against reality. Nor does it just test one such hypothesis, but many of them one after the other and all the time. This "explosion" of possibilities gradually wind themselves down into a concrete set of proven hypotheses. This is an account of strong +Ne's functionality, which is capable of concrete apprehension. I think weak +Ne would be more like to test an abstract modeling against existing models.

-Ne says, "People don't think this can happen, but I know that it can". -Ne's strategy is to maintain itself in the face of people's doubts that something is possible, such as an ideal. It refines its own explanation for believing such until finally, the -Ne objective sense of possibility understands the hypothesis and relents. Inconcrete -Ne defends an existing model of reality against other models that purport to disprove it. (consider the defense of socionics against the Fourier effect as an example).

+Ni says, "I would like to proceed thus, but will people follow along with me? I must adjust my planning to that which can actually happen." I'll leave it to Gamma to explain this in more detail.

-Ni says, "I am going this way and I am convinced my path is true, but how can I convince you to follow after me?" Beta, take it.

@strrng: mind if I comment that Ni need not be universal to be valid? Cultural ritual is not universal, but it is still Ni. Valid Ni respects the relationships between both cultural patterns and universal patterns; anything else is only a part of the full Ni experience.
    Last edited by tcaudilllg; 06-01-2008 at 10:34 PM.

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tcaudilllg
    @strrng: mind if I comment that Ni need not be universal to be valid? Cultural ritual is not universal, but it is still Ni. Valid Ni respects the relationships between both cultural patterns and universal patterns; anything else is only a part of the full Ni experience.
    I know, I was just trying to convey the timeless aspect of it, how it stretches beyond immediate context.

TIM
    ILE 8w7
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jason_m View Post
    Could someone explain to me the nature of Ni? This has to be the most elusive function for me. I'm not really sure what it amounts to.

Jason
    If it helps to put it this way: If you want to see Ni in action, watch some of Tom Petty and the Heartbreaker's music videos. Case in point:

You Tube search "Runnin' Down A Dream"

In fact, I get the feeling the guy (Tom Petty) is an IEI.

There is also a more serious component to Ni as well. Maybe the best way to explain it is it being realistic and beneficial, as imagination with a purpose.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
    --Theodore Roosevelt

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    -- Mark Twain

"Man who stand on hill with mouth open will wait long time for roast duck to drop in."
    -- Confucius