Quote Originally Posted by Bionicgoat View Post
As usual, I'm hesitant to respond to you because of our history, but I really do think there are some things you need to hear for your own good. How you can have this history and blame the institutions instead of yourself if beyond me. Perhaps it's because you're intelligent and think, "No way can I be failing! It must be the teachers!" but I mean, come on... the only constant here is an arguementative student who refuses to accept the rules of how things work in the world. Unless you want to waste that intelligence of yours being a bitter fuck working in wal-mart for the rest of your life (or something worse) it's time to learn how to play the game. Nobody says that you have to live the game, just learn it enough to stop failing classes over personality clashes. I'd much rather provide sympathy here, but I truly think it's brutal honesty you need. sorry.
Tcaud, I think this sounds like very good advice.
I had a class my first semester of college where I KNEW I should have an A - as in, I did every bit of work, and saw all my grades, and my average was well above 90. But do you know what final grade my prof submitted?
D.
Unfortunately, he kept all the copies of my homework, labs and tests, so I had nothing with which to prove my case. I spoke to every person in the administration I could get to, and could get nowhere. I have some suspicions about why the prof did what he did, but when I finally went to him and plead my case, he was extremely evasive and finally sent me away with the infuriatingly unsatisfying explanation that every single other member of my class had failed, so he couldn't give me too much better a grade.
This is the ONLY example of curving grades DOWN I have ever heard.
The main reason I got blocked from challenging the grade is because my prof also happened to be the head of the department, and it took the approval of the head of the department to get a hearing. Too bad for me.
I bitched and whined to many of my fellow students, and pretty much got in response, "Yeah, well, welcome to college."
I withdrew at the end of the semester (which was my first). Luckily, I had some pretty marketable skills, so I just lived in the working world and learned what life handed me as well as what I taught myself (libraries and the world wide internet).
I have since tried to go back to college twice, and each time, even though I've aced all my classes, I get thoroughly discouraged by all the bullshit. After this third time, I think I'm not going back again.
You DON'T need a college degree to get ahead in life. If you need a degree to go into a field for which you feel a passion, then you need to temper that passion with the awareness that you DO need to play the game to get the degree.
Please notice that I'm not telling you that you're wrong in your current situation.
But I am telling you that in your current situation, being righteous is shooting you in the foot.