Quote Originally Posted by tcaudilllg View Post
People of all political stripes -- conservative, progressive, liberal, communitarian, traditionalists (the paleo-political types as defined in political science), . Finally the individualist revolutionary is free from the fanatical zealotry of the traditionalist stalwart; the liberal is free from the close-mindedness of the conservative fringe; the conservative is free to attest to their beliefs in the face of the liberal radical; and the traditionist who upholds time tested standards of activity is free to prove their academic metal in the face of the rebel-without-a-cause, whatever the campus and whatever the institution. These concerns may not be of particular concern to a majority of college students, many of which devote themselves to an unprofessional, arguably time-wasting enterprise of getting inside their professor's heads; but to a small minority of particularly outspoken -- and moreover, creative -- individuals, they are imperative; for it is these same creative people who feel they are responsible for seeing to it that given the opportunity, their fellows need not embark on useless endevor.

Of late top employers have said they look more carefully at 'B' students who took time out from their studies to hone their insight than they do 'A' students who gave every last energy to meet their educational institution's highest standards, whatever that meant. (and I caution, the meaning of such is again, getting inside the professors' heads). The question arises, why aren't the 'B' students 'A' students also? The answer lies with the extremists and their arbitrary tyranny. Cast down the extremists, and America's GPAs will rise.
Sounds like you might like Wesleyan...

Seriously though, this does seem overly reactionary on Miami U's part. It sounds like this prof tried to paint you as a potential Virginia Tech... Good thing is though, if you want to continue on at Miami U., they only suspended and didn't expel you... Also, as I'm sure you know, there are plenty of universities that might be a better social fit (from an administrative stand-point, at the very least...) If you want to stay in Ohio, Oberlin might be one to check out, or even Earlham College.

Also, in response to what you wrote about tyranny and extremist practices, I'll just say that your view is idealistic, and noble in that way--that said, I believe you'll find (if you haven't already) that there's a critical mass of dicks and fools at most places, including at many companies and universities, even the "good" ones. Thus personal opinion, favoritism, (including: colleagues who 'got each otha's backs' to an unreasonable degree,) and other unjust mindsets/practices influence things that ideally, they shouldn't... It's the way of the world.

I wish you luck, tcaud, sincerely... Small consolation: I've found that life will often throw this kind of stuff at someone at times when it's most helpful for that person to evolve.