Quote Originally Posted by tcaudilllg View Post
I got a bad grade on a test (thanks to the total Ne incompetence of my instructor), and after saying a few unkind words to her face ("I can't believe you failed me on this. I think I'm going to drop the class after this (a feasible option because only two exams are graded in the class, and a failing grade in one). Idiot.") she has decided to recommend my suspension from Miami University. I was quite angry about the grade -- considerable levels of bias were leveled in the critique of my test.

It may have been over the top to insult her, but hey, we're all adults... aren't we?

Stature? Well the first thing she can do is get off her high horse. I'm taking this very seriously though: if I get expelled from Miami, that'll go on my record and it may prove difficult to re-enroll anywhere. And, a suspension effectively merits expulsion because I've already made a loan for $2250 that is due six months after I "leave" college. Which means, I can't just back down. Even if I am suspended/expelled, I've got to do something to change their minds somehow....

Anyway, what to do about ISTj bitch?
I transferred from my first college for a very similar reason. It was a tiny college, (Bard College, if anyone wants to know or gives a damn,) and this administrator, also an ISTj, developed a thorough disliking of me and proposed my expulsion... I thought the same as you, i.e "hey, we're all adults." Fact of the matter is, adults can sometimes behave like idiotic brats, especially when angry...

Frankly, a lot of humanities professors, in my experience, aren't very mature... Oftentimes while pursuing their phDs, they live in academic bubbles--sometimes well into their thirties, while most other ppl are developing otherwise... After they become employed, they sometimes have a very limited and strange relationship w/the non-university world... This has been my experience anyway, as a post-grad in the humanities.

What it sounds like, in your case, is you've insulted this prof's competence--in my experience, that makes them especially vindictive... She may have deserved it, and that's maybe why it stung her so badly, (which it clearly did.) If your goal is to prevent expulsion, which I imagine it is, you should plan your moves based on that goal. E.g., if you believe that an apology will solve the situation and prevent you from being expelled, do it... If dropping the course will solve it, do it. If not, I believe that it would be best, if possible, to bring this up in an administrative capacity before she does, so that she's on the defensive from the start... After this, just act very reasonably, civally--especially during any administrative meetings--essentially take the high road... Her behavior will suffer by comparison and I doubt you'll be expelled.

In my case, I transferred to Northwestern U, where I was treated like an actual person, to my delight... Miami U (of Ohio, right?) is public--it's often much more difficult to be expelled from a public institution than a private institution... You've got that going for you.

Good luck dude, seriously.