View Poll Results: what type is David Lynch?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • ILE (ENTp)

1 16.67%
  • SEI (ISFp)

0 0%
  • ESE (ESFj)

0 0%
  • LII (INTj)

1 16.67%
  • SLE (ESTp)

0 0%
  • IEI (INFp)

2 33.33%
  • EIE (ENFj)

0 0%
  • LSI (ISTj)

0 0%
  • SEE (ESFp)

0 0%
  • ILI (INTp)

0 0%
  • LIE (ENTj)

0 0%
  • ESI (ISFj)

1 16.67%
  • IEE (ENFp)

0 0%
  • SLI (ISTp)

0 0%
  • LSE (ESTj)

0 0%
  • EII (INFj)

1 16.67%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: David Lynch

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default David Lynch's movie characters

I am a fan of Lynch. Recently I've been watching twin peaks and wild at heart all over again. Has anyone thought about the characters from those movies and their types?

For example, Sailor and Lula from Wild at Heart - a weird example of IEE/SLI duality in the world of beta psychos ?

as for twin peaks, my types would be:

Cooper - LII? ILI?
    Sheriff Truman - SLI
    Audrey Horne - SLE
    Bobby Briggs - SLE
    James Hurley - SEI?
    Donna Hayward - IEI
    Shelly Johnson - dunno
    Leo Johnson - some psychopath. SLE?
    Ben Horne - not sure

any ideas, people?
    Last edited by Marietta; 03-29-2011 at 02:06 PM.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    335 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Um, all I know is that David Lynch is a crazy leading type. I'm going to watch Twin Peaks pretty soon and I'll let you know what I think.

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thehotelambush View Post
    Um, all I know is that David Lynch is a crazy leading type.
    yeah i have thought ILI in the past based on interviews, what i've seen of his movies, and his VI.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Really? I've seen him typed as ILE. Def N-type, but why Ni instead of Ne?

thehotelambush, after you watch TP don't forget to let me know about your typings cause I'm really curious *.*

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    335 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Marietta View Post
    Really? I've seen him typed as ILE. Def N-type, but why Ni instead of Ne?
    Because of all the uber-weird fantasy stuff.

thehotelambush, after you watch TP don't forget to let me know about your typings cause I'm really curious *.*
    Will do!

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cooper ILE
    Sheriff Truman ISXp
    Audrey Horne EIE
    Bobby Briggs EIE
    James Hurley EII
    Donna Hayward IEE, dunno
    Leo Johnson - SLE
    Ben Horne LIE
    Josie Packard IEI
    Ed Hurley XSTj
    Hawk ESTp/ISTj
    Nadine Hurley EIE

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    335 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cooper is 100% Delta ST. For some reason I prefer SLI > LSE but maybe I'm crazy for thinking that (temperament-wise there is a strong case for EJ). Cooper's personality is easily the best-developed of all the characters. He is always commenting on the quality of food, his physical surroundings, etc. Very observant and diligent.

Pretty sure David Lynch is ILI at this point.

Truman: yeah, SLI

Donna - I thought Alpha NT at first, but Beta NF could work. For Alpha NT - very curious, investigative. For Beta NF - somewhat of a romantic?

James: LSI, LII, or maybe SEI? Depends on what Donna is.
    Bobby: agree w/ jouziou, definitely EIE
    Shelly: ESI but I think the actress is LSI (there's a thing w/ David Lynch and a few of the actors on the DVD)
    Leo: idk, SLE?
    Leland Palmer: ESE
    Josie Packard: IEI > EII
    Audrey: Probably SEE? Very good at manipulating people; certainly has and/or ego. SLE or IEE would be other possibilities.
    Ben Horne: It's difficult to think of a type that would explain his poor relationship with Audrey. I thought Gamma SF was likely, but perhaps EIE? Their conflict seems like a rational/irrational thing, so maybe he could be ESI.
    Jerry Horne: SLE?
    Andy: ILI > IEI
    Lucy: ESI
    Norma: IEE or EII
    Catherine Martell: LSI (tenacious, kind of bitchy)
    Ed Hurley: SEI
    Nadine Hurley: ESE
    Major Briggs: LSI, although his character seems to deviate from this typing later on
    Log Lady: ILI (the voice of David Lynch, essentially)
    Maddy: IEE

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    335 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh yeah, by the way, this show is amazing. I would say one of the best TV shows of all time. I wonder what type Frost is. The show is so incredibly comprehensive. What I mean is, while other shows sometimes tend to focus too much on one aspect of reality, Twin Peaks spans a wide variety of human experience. This makes me think Frost has a complementary relationship with Lynch.

It's also kind of interesting how Cooper uses so much in the context of a highly work.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thehotelambush View Post
    Cooper is 100% Delta ST. For some reason I prefer SLI > LSE but maybe I'm crazy for thinking that (temperament-wise there is a strong case for EJ). Cooper's personality is easily the best-developed of all the characters. He is always commenting on the quality of food, his physical surroundings, etc. Very observant and diligent.
    I cannot see Cooper as anything but intuitive with his dreams, talking to Giant, methods based on Tibet stuff etc. His success in the investigation comes from N. Yep, he is interested in Si stuff, but I see him as N. Don't know if INTP or INTJ or maybe ENTP... doesn't seem to have an Fi polr, he seems likable and always very correct towards people (opposite to Albert, the autopsy guy , he could perfectly be an ENTP).

Also, I see Major Briggs as ESTJ and his wife as INFJ, which could explain the difficult relationship with their beta son Bobby.

I think Audrey is SLE cause she doesn't seem to value emotions as an aim it itself, she only uses it to reach the goals. Definetly Se ego. And if Cooper is INTP their relationship would be semi-dual, which kinda fits.

Donna seems hopelessly romantic and James Hurley sucks all the way

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I recall seeing Blue Velvet and Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me and I like it.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    335 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I cannot see Cooper as anything but intuitive with his dreams, talking to Giant, methods based on Tibet stuff etc. His success in the investigation comes from N. Yep, he is interested in Si stuff, but I see him as N.
    What about his incredible attention to detail and his physical surroundings? IMO it goes far beyond an "interest." There are a bazillion examples of him using , and only a few of . He extensively critiques the quality of the hotel food, for example. Not really typical for an intuitive type.

Also, he has a rather short-term proactive way of dealing with situations.

Going across the border to save Audrey
    for instance; he didn't really think about the long-term consequences (he says something like, it was the right thing to do at the time).

I would think the whole mysticism thing comes from Lynch's , not necessarily from the character itself (and indeed is more on the level of an "interest" rather than a constant activity). Sherlock Holmes is usually typed as LSE, and from what I know he resembles Cooper quite a bit.

I think Audrey is SLE cause she doesn't seem to value emotions as an aim it itself, she only uses it to reach the goals. Definetly Se ego. And if Cooper is INTP their relationship would be semi-dual, which kinda fits.
    SLE is ok but it would be odd given my typing of Cooper.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't see Truman and Cooper being the same type. They are too different in how they handle things and the investigation. When Cooper uses his N Truman is often very impressed, but he is also confused with it, he doesn't seem to fully understand it, he is a bit doubtful. Coop is very sure that he is on the right path. I don't think a sensor would be so attentive to this kind of things. an S type wouldn't probably rely that much on such things as dreams, theories, seeing the big picture and connection between Tibet and Twin Peaks etc.

Truman doesn't talk about the quality of food all the time but we know he is an S. I see Coopers food remarks and stuff like that as something less natural for him than his intuition based methods.Also, he always relies on other people to provide him clues about sensory pleasures and where to gain them. Yes, he is new at the town, but somehow he always has to have others providing him that or directing him.

In the scene where Cooper bases his investigation on rocks and bottles - Truman, Lucy and Andy are looking at it with praise but they don't understand it at all. On the other hand he seems very confident on what he is doing in that scene, he "shines". This is actually what he brings to Twin Peaks police - the intuitive stuff, not typical of FBI or policework in general, but his own. Where does he provide them any S stuff? Maybe he is Si HA, which would make him INTJ... not sure yet, but for me def. N type and rather I than E.

Btw if you also watched the prequel "Fire Walk With me" what type do you think Laura Palmer is?

And the real question: what type is Diane? ^.^
    Last edited by Marietta; 03-31-2011 at 01:03 PM.

Eccentric Neurotic Narcissist andreasdevig's Avatar
    TIM
    FiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am a fan of Lynch. Recently I've been watching twin peaks and wild at heart all over again. Has anyone thought about the characters from those movies and their types?

For example, Sailor and Lula from Wild at Heart - a weird example of IEE/SLI duality in the world of beta psychos ?

as for twin peaks, my types would be:

Cooper - LII? ILI?
    Sheriff Truman - SLI
    Audrey Horne - SLE
    Bobby Briggs - SLE
    James Hurley - SEI?
    Donna Hayward - IEI
    Shelly Johnson - dunno
    Leo Johnson - some psychopath. SLE?
    Ben Horne - not sure

any ideas, people?
    Just taking a guess..

Dale Cooper - EIE? IEI? LSI?
    Harry Truman - LSE? ESI?
    Laura Palmer - SLE? IEI?
    Donna Hayward - SEI? IEE?
    James Hurley - ESI? ILI?
    Bobby Briggs - ESE? SLE?
    Shelly Johnson - SEI? ILE?
    Leo Johnson - SLE? LSI?
    Ben Horne - LSE? EIE?
    Audrey Horne - ILE? SLE? EIE?
    Sarah Palmer - EIE? SEI?
    Leland Palmer - ESE? ILE?
    Madeline Ferguson - SEI? EII?
    Major Briggs - LIE? IEI?
    Catherine Martell - LSE? LIE? LSI?
    Pete Martell - SEI? IEE?
    Josie Packard - ILI? ESI? LSI?
    Dr. Jacoby - IEE? ILE?
    Norma Jennings - LII? SEI?
    Ed Hurley - SEI? SLI? LSI?
    Nadine Hurley - IEE? ILE? SEE?
    Hank Jennings - SLE? LSI? SEE?
    Lucy Moran - IEE? ESE?
    Andy Brennan - ESE? ILE? IEE?
    Deputy Hawk - LSI? SLI?
    Dr. Hayward - LSE? ESE?
    Jacques Renault - SEE? SLI? ILE?
    Albert Rosenfeld - SLI? ILI?
    Richard Trumaine - ESE? SEE? IEE?
    Michael Gerard - IEE? EIE?
    Harold Smith - IEI? SEI?
    Windom Earle - LSI? ILI?
    Gordon Cole - SEE? EIE?
    Jean Renault - LIE? LSI?
    Annie Blackburd - LII? EII? SLI?
    Ernie Niles - LII? SEI? ILI?
    Mr. Lee - LSI? ESI?

Cooper seems to have strong and valued Ni. Truman shows more skepticism. Similar to the Mulder and Scully relationship. I think Scully is probably SLI. I dont know what would be like the most skeptical types. Se? Te? Truman's violent temper also makes me think he has high Se.
    Audrey loves to fuck shit up. Fi PoLR could make sense, I think.
    EII-INFj / INFP / Strong E4 and 9 energy / Melancholic-Phlegmatic / Musical-Intrapersonal-Spatial / Kinky-Sensual