Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Se and aggression

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I sense the potential for a brilliant theory, explaining the necessities of chess through socionics, and a collective participation of this forum in developing and implementing it...

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Personally I think it's actually a great demonstration of how, while certain functions take precedence over others in certain situations, in reality, we really do all use all of our functions, all the time.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does thinking several moves ahead necessarily have to be Ni?

Actually looking at chess from a socionics pov could be a helpful exercise to help understand the IM elements better. Good idea.

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Loki
    Does thinking several moves ahead necessarily have to be Ni?
    no, not really...naturally following internal patterns into the future typically is, which translates to thinking 3 moves ahead most of the time.

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think what I'm trying to get at (in my own mind) is this:

I'll define players A and B, and trace player A's thoughts.

Player A is thinking about making move A. Here are his/her thoughts.

If I make move A

Likely moves in response by player B

move B
    move C
    move D
    move E
    move F

Most likely: move B, move F with B>F

If move B, then I may make move G or H in response
    If move G, Player B likely to make move I.
    If move H, Player B likely to make move I or move J.
    I want them to make I, so I like G best.

If move F, then I may make move K or G.
    If move K...

blah, blah, blah

So... what will happen
    Player A: move A
    Player B: move B
    Player A: move G
    Player B: move I
    Player A: move M
    Player B: ...

blah blah blah

This sort of seems like it's more Ti than Ni. "If-then" strategic thinking seems like a Ti thing. I don't know if that's what was meant by thinking several moves ahead. But Ni is much less concrete. I think it could be very helpful in chess, but perhaps in a different way. ?

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah, Ti is helpful in chess to calculate probabilities mostly. you're right, that was a more linear, if-then thought pattern. The way I meant that Ni thinks 3 steps ahead is kind of like this: ok, there's piece A...piece B over there, piece C...(now opponent)...ok, piece D, E and F....the relation between my A and his F....ok...now A, C correlates with this...oh ok....now this is what is likely to happen...

it sounds muddied because it's this visual, abstract way of dealing with the things where the internal patterns of the relationships between the pieces literally bounce off one another until some "vision" is reached....when I played Steve in chess (a Ti-ENTp), I noticed myself not so much looking at anything too logical besides the natural cause-and-effect stuff...I was mainly picking up on trends within (I can't stress internal enough) the pieces and I can recall a few times where things turned out the way I thought, even though it wasn't a concrete understanding.

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by strrrng View Post
    yeah, Ti is helpful in chess to calculate probabilities mostly. you're right, that was a more linear, if-then thought pattern. The way I meant that Ni thinks 3 steps ahead is kind of like this: ok, there's piece A...piece B over there, piece C...(now opponent)...ok, piece D, E and F....the relation between my A and his F....ok...now A, C correlates with this...oh ok....now this is what is likely to happen...

it sounds muddied because it's this visual, abstract way of dealing with the things where the internal patterns of the relationships between the pieces literally bounce off one another until some "vision" is reached....when I played Steve in chess (a Ti-ENTp), I noticed myself not so much looking at anything too logical besides the natural cause-and-effect stuff...I was mainly picking up on trends within (I can't stress internal enough) the pieces and I can recall a few times where things turned out the way I thought, even though it wasn't a concrete understanding.
    This makes sense.

But does that mean chess is an Ni game or just that you play it in an Ni way?

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Loki
    This makes sense.

But does that mean chess is an Ni game or just that you play it in an Ni way?
    both. there will be times where you will not be able to calculate, where you will simply have to know what will happen.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the original assertion by Rick was that chess is an game.

What you guys are trying to do is describe what functions make a good chess player. That is totally different from saying what kind of information is present in the game.

The goal of chess is the conquer the other person's space and trap their king. Although you may use , , , , or whatever to accomplish this, the goal is ultimately one of , which makes the game .
    INTj

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Strrrng

I don't think it means chess is an Ni game.

Quote Originally Posted by Atar
    What you guys are trying to do is describe what functions make a good chess player. That is totally different from saying what kind of information is present in the game.
    Agree. I might add though that I think you can be a successful chess player if you are any type. I think all 8 IM elements can be helpful in winning.

TIM
    ILE 8w7
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would consider the book The Art of War as a good book for Se types, and maybe to understand Se for those who have that as a weakness.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
    --Theodore Roosevelt

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    -- Mark Twain

"Man who stand on hill with mouth open will wait long time for roast duck to drop in."
    -- Confucius

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbean
    I would consider the book The Art of War as a good book for Se types, and maybe to understand Se for those who have that as a weakness.
    really?! I didn't know there was a book that described how to perceive information in a specific way, namely the external statics of objects. awesome! now I'll go buy a book that 'is' every function and become great at them...

books, games, whatever, aren't functions...I love how we personify this shit. the only thing a function is, is information processing.
    Last edited by strrrng; 03-11-2008 at 12:53 AM.

TIM
    ILE 8w7
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is not what I meant.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
    --Theodore Roosevelt

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    -- Mark Twain

"Man who stand on hill with mouth open will wait long time for roast duck to drop in."
    -- Confucius

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But The Art of War is about Se, like some math textbooks are about Ti. So it's good practice, if you can make sense of it...

LII-Ne

"Come to think of it, there are already a million monkeys on a million typewriters, and the Usenet is NOTHING like Shakespeare!"
    - Blair Houghton

Johari

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah, I mean, the guy's thinking may be Se, specifically Se-Ti, but jim's phrasing just conveyed it in an artificial way.

I really don't see how the art of war actually is Se...it's a bunch of phrases/small paragraphs spaced out on pages just listing tactics

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by aka-kitsune View Post
    This sounds really spot on. I know I must definitely have weak .

Anytime I have gotten angry/aggro, it's channeled through a rather uncontrolled emotional expression, and I'm always *really* uncomfortable with it. I just don't know how to be firm without my emotions ultimately getting in the way to some extent.

I'd have to say I'm very averse to aggression in general.

Same here. Se is my PoLR.
    LII-Ne with strong EII tendencies, 6w7-9w1-3w4 so/sp/sx, INxP

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure about my experience. I would say that my anger is genuine and well-controlled when related to T matters - ex. when somebody is misgiving informations and the like. Vice versa, I cannot really feel it controlled when I am pissed for typical "F" reasons.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by strrrng View Post
    I really don't see how the art of war actually is Se...it's a bunch of phrases/small paragraphs spaced out on pages just listing tactics
    I think Sun Tzu was an LIE. How to get the battle won most effectively (Te) combined with a natural talent for seeing what may or may not happen, based on various phenomena (Ni).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12