Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Conflicting types: which types ENFps don't get along with?

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jewels View Post
    As for ENFPs being authoritative...I've never though of myself in that way. I don't order people to do things and I'm not power-hungry. But, I have had several guys tell me that they were worried I'd walk over them, which surprised me. The only thing I can figure is that because I want to feel free to act without others controlling me, I need control over my own life (which can look to others like I'm stubbournly refusing their attempts to tell me what to do). If people try to control me, then I do freak out and I guess I could look "authoritative" as I try my best to break free from that control. That is when I get pretty angry/decisive/like "you may not do this and this and this...blah blah." But still, overall it's not like an ESTJ or ENTJ would act or anything like that.
    I can identify with this, also with the person that said ENFps need someone to stand up to them. Heh...I am refusing others' attempts to tell me what to do. Anyway...

I've been on both ends...sort of. I was the dominant one in one close friendship (we were very close to each other but not romantically involved), and he didn't complain, save once. Of course, that wasn't about the being whipped, per se. *shrugs* It was very natural for me; seemed to work very well. In a more recent friendship/short-term relationship, I was less the dominant one, but I still felt the need to assert my opinion here and there, and he did give way at certain times, even if he did feel the subject was petty. Honestly, I felt more at ease in the first one, because I didn't feel taken care of; his was unobtrusive and unnoticeable, while the latter's actions were obvious (making my breakfast and the like). That said, I didn't spend 3 months on campus with the former.

Quote Originally Posted by tereg View Post
    Not just any hierarchical models. Higher hierarchical models.
    So you mean we like to be in authority but not under it.
    Johari/Nohari

"Tell someone you love them today, because life is short; shout it at them in German, because life is also terrifying."

Fruit, the fluffy kitty.

Creepy-Cyclops

I don't like being told what to do, but there are ways of delivery to telling someone what to do. I could imagine an ENFp could tell people to do stuff, or maybe it would be more of a suggestion, so it would actually seem helpful rather than just pissing the other person/people off.

TIM
    EII/INFj
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ryene Astraelis View Post
    So you mean we like to be in authority but not under it.
    I'm just the messenger...

Quote Originally Posted by istpunk
    Believe it or not, ISTPs are submissive to the authoritarian ENFP with the ENFP in a higher hierarchical level. You may think that being submissive means you are in a weaker position. Try not to think of it that way. ENFPs are not what they're cracked up to be, duality in relationships does not equate perfect.
    In seriousness, what you said, Ryene carries merit. Though I probably exercise that in still malleable ways.
    INFj

9w1 sp/sx

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm just the messenger...

In seriousness, what you said, Ryene carries merit. Though I probably exercise that in still malleable ways.
    Yes, but we shoot the messenger in these parts.

re: bolded sentence: What?
    Johari/Nohari

"Tell someone you love them today, because life is short; shout it at them in German, because life is also terrifying."

Fruit, the fluffy kitty.

TIM
    EII/INFj
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

re: bolded sentence: What?
    I tried to carefully craft that sentence and failed. :-/

What I mean is, is even if I'm in a position of authority, I tend to be very willing to bend/malleable/receptive. I don't exert authority nearly as much as I could. Which is why I feel more uncomfortable the more authoritative responsibility I have.
    INFj

9w1 sp/sx

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tried to carefully craft that sentence and failed. :-/

What I mean is, is even if I'm in a position of authority, I tend to be very willing to bend/malleable/receptive. I don't exert authority nearly as much as I could. Which is why I feel more uncomfortable the more authoritative responsibility I have.
    Ah. OK. Thanks. Does it have anything to do with wanting to be the nice guy?
    Johari/Nohari

Fruit, the fluffy kitty.

TIM
    EII/INFj
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah. OK. Thanks. Does it have anything to do with wanting to be the nice guy?
    *sigh* Yes.
    INFj

9w1 sp/sx

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think ENFps order us around without us feeling ordered around.
    "Those who make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities..."

- Voltaire

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

*sigh* Yes.
    Have you ever considered the role of evil advisor? You rule through a puppet, and no one suspects you until the end, when you reveal yourself amidst evil laughter. The job security is good.
    Johari/Nohari

Fruit, the fluffy kitty.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have you ever considered the role of evil advisor? You rule through a puppet, and no one suspects you until the end, when you reveal yourself amidst evil laughter. The job security is good.
    How's the dental plan?

- Voltaire

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LokiVanguard View Post
    How's the dental plan?
    Perhaps you negotiate it with the overlord you manipulate. The death insurance stinks, though. By the time you go down, the rest has already gone to pot.
    Johari/Nohari

Fruit, the fluffy kitty.

TIM
    EII/INFj
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As a job? No. When I do this kind of puppet personality for people that know me well enough, they don't seem to get it.

Like this one time, some years back I was playing Mafia with some friends of mine. And I purposefully sabotaged the game by being a citizen that wanted the mafia to win (but I didn't tell anyone else I was doing that). Which isn't as easy as it sounds because you have to convince the citizens to execute someone you know isn't the mafia. And I was brilliant at it for that one game. At the time I thought it would have been funny, but I think I really upset some people that I had the *gasp* audacity to sabotage the game! I brought up Andy Kaufman... no one got it. I was embarassed.

And then people that don't know me I suddenly get the impression that they somehow anticipate me acting like that.

I dunno, it just doesn't feel right. I can do the role, but the response I get back from it isn't very receptive.
    INFj

9w1 sp/sx

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As a job? No. When I do this kind of puppet personality for people that know me well enough, they don't seem to get it.

Like this one time, some years back I was playing Mafia with some friends of mine. And I purposefully sabotaged the game by being a citizen that wanted the mafia to win (but I didn't tell anyone else I was doing that). Which isn't as easy as it sounds because you have to convince the citizens to execute someone you know isn't the mafia. And I was brilliant at it for that one game. At the time I thought it would have been funny, but I think I really upset some people that I had the *gasp* audacity to sabotage the game! I brought up Andy Kaufman... no one got it. I was embarassed.

And then people that don't know me I suddenly get the impression that they somehow anticipate me acting like that.

I dunno, it just doesn't feel right. I can do the role, but the response I get back from it isn't very receptive.
    *blinks* Andy Kaufman? Ah well. Yeah, the backlash can stink. On a different note, I watched your avatar. Very ENFp of you.
    Johari/Nohari

Fruit, the fluffy kitty.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

because people are dumb. and my buddy and I sometimes do that in mafia too. It's no fun if the mafia loses!

- Voltaire

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

because people are dumb. and my buddy and I sometimes do that in mafia too. It's no fun if the mafia loses!
    *grins* We played that in Geometry one day. One guy was in the mafia and got killed...
    Johari/Nohari

Fruit, the fluffy kitty.

TIM
    EII/INFj
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

*blinks* Andy Kaufman?
    The fact that he does things that no one seems to get or understand. I was just trying to draw parallels. But that fell on deaf ears as well. They were actually slightly offended by what I was doing. That actually hurt me a lot.

Ah well. Yeah, the backlash can stink. On a different note, I watched your avatar. Very ENFp of you.
    Thank you. They are from my YouTube creative video blogs.
    INFj

9w1 sp/sx

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The fact that he does things that no one seems to get or understand. I was just trying to draw parallels. But that fell on deaf ears as well. They were actually slightly offended by what I was doing. That actually hurt me a lot.
    I understand their being upset. I would be, too (but I'm a stickler for playing a game by the rules). However, being on this end of it, I find it amusing.
    Johari/Nohari

Fruit, the fluffy kitty.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The first time through, I like playing the game by the rules just so I can know the rules.

When boredom sets in that's when you mess with em

- Voltaire

TIM
    EII/INFj
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I understand their being upset. I would be, too (but I'm a stickler for playing a game by the rules). However, being on this end of it, I find it amusing.
    Yeah, I mean, I understand why they were upset, honestly. But I mean, I dunno. I wasn't expecting that response when I thought it up, and when they had the response and I understood what they were saying, I felt really bad about it.

It's that kind of stuff that generally makes me feel like I should fall in line and not do unorthodox things. If that's the kind of response I get and how I feel after that kind of response, I'd rather not execute some of the things I come up with.
    INFj

9w1 sp/sx

TIM
    EII/INFj
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The first time through, I like playing the game by the rules just so I can know the rules.

When boredom sets in that's when you mess with em
    Yeah, we had played like 1 or 2 games of Mafia BEFORE that one (by the rules). And so I thought it would have been funny to mix it up a little bit and surprise them all.
    INFj

9w1 sp/sx

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, we had played like 1 or 2 games of Mafia BEFORE that one (by the rules). And so I thought it would have been funny to mix it up a little bit and surprise them all.
    *nods* My family helps each other out in Mille Bournes, and it frustrates me. What is the point?
    Johari/Nohari

Fruit, the fluffy kitty.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I mean, I understand why they were upset, honestly. But I mean, I dunno. I wasn't expecting that response when I thought it up, and when they had the response and I understood what they were saying, I felt really bad about it.

It's that kind of stuff that generally makes me feel like I should fall in line and not do unorthodox things. If that's the kind of response I get and how I feel after that kind of response, I'd rather not execute some of the things I come up with.
    Oh, been there. My fullest sympathy. This awful moment where you go "...whoops..." and vow to become normal and to never, never do anything unusual again... Just THINKING about it hurts. Sometimes I look back on my teenage years and they're a long daisychain made of embarassing incidents. One after the other. Now I wonder if I weren't just too attuned to other people's responses. I mean, other people in tereg's position would have just laughed and said "...they didn't get the joke, what's wrong with them?" (Not that this is the right reaction; it's just a different one.)

I still remember how good it was to start dating my ISTp. He's really the perfect audience for unorthodox behaviour. It's such a relief to do something OTT and have an ISTp react to it. It's as if they suddenly come to life. (They're on stand-by so often.)

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by schrödinger's cat View Post
    I still remember how good it was to start dating my ISTp. He's really the perfect audience for unorthodox behaviour.
    *wants an ISTp now* Maybe.
    Johari/Nohari

Fruit, the fluffy kitty.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ENFp's hate dream killers and nay sayers.
    That is 110% TRUE!!! Nicely said.

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is ironic, considering that we are said to be negativists.
    Johari/Nohari

Fruit, the fluffy kitty.

Creepy-Cyclops

This is ironic, considering that we are said to be negativists.
    If that is true, then maybe the 'positivism' of the ISTp encourages you to pursue such activities. That seems to make ENFp's happy, and I like it too. So it's all ok

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    If that is true, then maybe the 'positivism' of the ISTp encourages you to pursue such activities. That seems to make ENFp's happy, and I like it too. So it's all ok
    Perhaps. It's just amusing for people to say that we hate dream-killers when techinically, we are negativists/pessimists in the first place.
    Johari/Nohari

Fruit, the fluffy kitty.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

*wants an ISTp now* Maybe.
    You didn't know this about us? You can do the most bizzare shit in front of me and i'd probably just chuckle.

Unless it's stepping on cats. Then i'd eat you.

Creepy-Cyclops

You didn't know this about us? You can do the most bizzare shit in front of me and i'd probably just chuckle.

because she might be cat flavoured?

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Perhaps. It's just amusing for people to say that we hate dream-killers when techinically, we are negativists/pessimists in the first place.
    I hear what you're saying--I want to make sure that I understand this concept correctly, and I very well might not... Could you whomever's reading this and understands this help me out here?

Negativism in socionics means perceiving and emphasizing what's lacking rather than what is there... It does not mean being 'negative' in the way that we normally use the word.

For example: a posivist and a negativist finish watching a movie: (one priest and rabbi walk into a bar, and... sorry,) and someone asks, "what did you think of the movie?

The positisist answers: "it was good--the lead actress was great in that role."

The negativist answers: "yeah, it was good--but it would have been better if there were more explosions."

I'm an ENFp and I hate dream killers--but sometimes I do wish that there were more explosions...

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Damn right LokiV, if anyone messes with cats... There's gonna be trouble.

TIM
    EII/INFj
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JuJu View Post
    For example: a posivist and a negativist finish watching a movie: (one priest and rabbi walk into a bar, and... sorry,) and someone asks, "what did you think of the movie?

The negativist answers: "yeah, it was good--but it would have been better if there were more explosions."

I'm an ENFp and I hate dream killers--but sometimes I do wish that there were more explosions...
    For the record and off-topic, I don't like being asked this question right after watching a movie. It doesn't annoy me a lot, but it does slightly annoy me. Especially after a movie that I thought was really good. Oh, awesome, now I have to come back down to earth and actually EXPLAIN why I liked the movie, which I can't even give the explanation justice a majority of the time. Buzzkill.

And it's not one of those things that you can step around either. You know that someone is going to ask the question (unless I am watching the movie alone). It's inevitable. And not answering the question just looks standoff-ish.

"I thought it was good. I liked it."

Edit: Why is that? Maybe I don't want to give my take after EVERY freaking movie I see in theatres. Maybe I don't really feel like talking about the movie and I just want to sit and ponder themes and lessons about the movie. Maybe just once I don't want to answer a basic question like that. Yeah, you're just asking. I get it.

It just... bothers me sometimes.
    INFj

9w1 sp/sx

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool.

You'll never get the chance. **owner of a very spoiled and possessive cat**

Quote Originally Posted by JuJu View Post
    I hear what you're saying--I want to make sure that I understand this concept correctly, and I very well might not... Could you whomever's reading this and understands this help me out here?

Negativism in socionics means perceiving and emphasizing what's lacking rather than what is there... It does not mean being 'negative' in the way that we normally use the word.

That's what pessimists are, too. *shrugs* I see "dream-killing" as bringing someone down to earth, telling them what's wrong or what could go wrong with their plan. I view that as realistic, not mean, and I hope I don't do it just to be mean.
    Johari/Nohari

Fruit, the fluffy kitty.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12