Hybrid View

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have been aware of I think when I have tried to work out. It's this feeling of toil and it's very unpleasant and I don't like it at all. If you can endure it and get through it, in the end, yes, it will be beneficial in that it will reorder some things inside and balance them better. I think it makes you focus on .

Physical awareness is and . is how it actually feels, the feeling of physical awareness. is detached from such feelings. The activity of physical exercise probably involves a lot of ... your experience of it probably involves a lot of .

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think your "gym rat" type is more likely to value Se over Si, partially because they want to be fit - not just healthy, but noticeably very fit - to achieve an aura of power. Also, there's a certain element of Fe at a gym - it's a very social kind of place - and my husband will exercise if the doctor hassles him but he hates to do it in that kind of a setting because of that. So someone who values Se plus Fe in a lot of cases.

But in general, working out could be done for a number of reasons, and some reasons could be type related and some might just be due to health circumstances.

When I was single I went to the gym a lot because I lived alone and I hated being by myself all the time. That's an example of a reason that isn't Se or Si. But I think the reasons you gave are generally reasons why someone who values Se would.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

context is king
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And by personal power I mean as in having some kind of physical control over your environment.

And I think Ni types don't like to think things are difficult for some reason, but that is mostly speculation.

Edit: e.g. Gamma NT like the idea of work, but they like the idea that it should be difficult.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Elro View Post
    Personally I prefer exercising while playing fun games (which strikes me as more Si than Se), like ultimate frisbee or ping-pong. Swimming is good too.
    Example of valuing Si > Se.

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    It's this feeling of toil and it's very unpleasant and I don't like it at all. If you can endure it and get through it
    Example of valuing Se > Si.
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

NO.

working out is neither Se nor Si. if you work out to look good, improve your appearance, become stronger, etc., that's more closely related to Se.

similarly working out for the purpose of feeling better, improving one's health or lifespan, is more closely linked to Si.

it's about external versus internal demands.

my only conclusion from this bullshit is that joy does not understand Se/Si.

Banned
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by niffweed17 View Post
    NO.

working out is neither Se nor Si. if you work out to look good, improve your appearance, become stronger, etc., that's more closely related to Se.

similarly working out for the purpose of feeling better, improving one's health or lifespan, is more closely linked to Si.

it's about external versus internal demands.

my only conclusion from this bullshit is that joy does not understand Se/Si.
    Are you trying to be helpful? I mean, if you were trying to be antagonistic, then fine, but I think you really have no idea how you come across. Talking to people this way is entirely unhelpful, as no matter how practical/logical you think you are being, people just won't listen to you if you deliver criticism like this. I don't mean to sound like I'm coming to Joy's rescue, but it just baffles me that you make serious posts in this manner.

My opinion on this subject is that Se/Si are intertwined when it comes to exercise, and almost any person who exercises will have in mind both Se and Si benefits. For me, I like the fact that my shoulder and arm muscles are getting really toned from all the push ups I do, and that my legs are turning into solid muscle from squats and lunges, but I also like the feeling of general wellbeing and increased energy I get from pushing my body.

Either Se or Si may be the predominant factor in a particular individual's motivation to start working out, but I don't see how you can say that both IEs aren't involved in the physical act.

Banned
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also, the act of working out isn't something I would describe as coming totally naturally to me. It may seem like I do it easily to an observer because of my stoic attitude going in, but internally I feel like I'm forcing myself to do a bunch of relatively unpleasant things in order to achieve desirable benefits. I don't really enjoy exercising, but I enjoy having had exercised.

The only time I really enjoy getting a workout is while fencing, because I'm engaged in a stimulating activity while doing the exercise.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by discojoe View Post
    Are you trying to be helpful? I mean, if you were trying to be antagonistic, then fine, but I think you really have no idea how you come across. Talking to people this way is entirely unhelpful, as no matter how practical/logical you think you are being, people just won't listen to you if you deliver criticism like this. I don't mean to sound like I'm coming to Joy's rescue, but it just baffles me that you make serious posts in this manner.

My opinion on this subject is that Se/Si are intertwined when it comes to exercise, and almost any person who exercises will have in mind both Se and Si benefits. For me, I like the fact that my shoulder and arm muscles are getting really toned from all the push ups I do, and that my legs are turning into solid muscle from squats and lunges, but I also like the feeling of general wellbeing and increased energy I get from pushing my body.

Either Se or Si may be the predominant factor in a particular individual's motivation to start working out, but I don't see how you can say that both IEs aren't involved in the physical act.
    i just think niffweed made a very good point. just because he has no tact doesn't mean his point is moot.

Banned
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LokiVanguard View Post
    i just think niffweed made a very good point. just because he has no tact doesn't mean his point is moot.
    You're right, which is why I in no way said that his point was "moot". What I did say is that his lack of tact is totally unproductive, which is sort of ironic given his outspoken advocation of being practical and correct.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alright.

And just to be clear, i usually don't like just lifting weights either (I only do it like once a week). I love excercise that involves an activity or motion or speed much much more. Running, sports, and martial arts i'll take any day over 'working out with the gym rats'. how dull

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am not saying that exercise IS Si or Se. This thread is just a description of behaviors I've noticed in various types and a theory about how it's related to information elements.

There are going to be exceptions, as always, but I'm interested in whether the behavioral patterns I've described for each type have been more or less consistent with members' observations of those types.
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by discojoe View Post
    fuck you too. i'm making a serious point on Se/Si here and if you really are stupid enough to interpret it as being antagonistic, fuck you.

Banned
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by niffweed17 View Post
    fuck you too. i'm making a serious point on Se/Si here and if you really are stupid enough to interpret it as being antagonistic, fuck you.
    Wow, Fe PoLR to the max.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So the other day I went with Allison to a Bikram yoga class and it practically massacred me physically. Ninety minutes in extreme heat moving between repeated sets of standing poses and floor poses found me unable to put any thoughts together save semi-numbly following the directions to the next, and the next, and the next way to position myself.

Truly, the best workout in memory. Bikram is so physically punishing that it forces you to be meditative. It removes all opportunity for mind-wanderings and tunnels your vision down to the ideal mindset for optimum benefits. I’ll for sure be going back as much as I can, and not only because Allison is way smoking hot and Bikram is literally the only exercise she has done in almost two years.
    This is the kind of bullshit many exercise websites are full of...I honestly don't understand what there is of spiritual in some working out...
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    335 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

*headdesk*

There is a huge difference between using an information element and valuing it. Exercise inherently involves the use of sensing, and predominantly Se, but obviously the motives behind it can be Si or Se or whatever.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Possible Si Polr:

LII
    that is what i was getting at. if there is an inescapable appropriation that is required in the act of understanding, this brings into question the validity of socionics in describing what is real, and hence stubborn contradictions that continue to plague me.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I lift weights 6 days a week. I have a routine, and I do it because I enjoy the activity itself as well as the benefits. I have been routinely active at the gym for years. When I was younger, not so much. But over time it has become a well established part of my day to day. I don't ever see myself not going to the gym or changing my current lifestyle.

So as to not generate discussion about my type, I have met Expat and Olga, and both agreed that I was an alpha Ti.

Furthermore, it seems that obesity and laziness are not isolated to Se polr.
    LII
    that is what i was getting at. if there is an inescapable appropriation that is required in the act of understanding, this brings into question the validity of socionics in describing what is real, and hence stubborn contradictions that continue to plague me.

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I work out a lot. I'm Ni.