Thread: think back think wayyy back

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was an interesting mix. I was described half a salesman, half a mathematician. A little bit of both but not really either. I did well enough in school but also was often in trouble with the teachers. I had a love-hate relationship with many teachers. I did lots and lots of sports but also spent a lot of time alone with a computer or with legos. I was rather social and even outgoing but my circle of friends was not very big and I didn't actively widen my circle much. I just spent time with the people I already knew and liked to spend time with. I was like a good kid - bad kid mix, extrovert - introvert mix, sporty - nerdy mix. Actually I think I still am. Haha. One defining feature was that I pretty much never read any books. I did read a lot of comics though All kinds of comics. I much preferred interactive learning and computer games to reading books.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As a young child, I was hyperactive and got in trouble at school for not staying in my seat and talking too much. I had a lot of friends in my neighborhood and in good weather we'd play from sunup to sundown. I learned to read early, at 3, but I couldn't ride a bike till I was 8. I had a lot of tantrums and I kept getting them even when I was older than when kids generally outgrow them.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Slacker Mom View Post
    As a young child, I was hyperactive and got in trouble at school for not staying in my seat and talking too much. I had a lot of friends in my neighborhood and in good weather we'd play from sunup to sundown. I learned to read early, at 3, but I couldn't ride a bike till I was 8. I had a lot of tantrums and I kept getting them even when I was older than when kids generally outgrow them.
    A travesty if I ever read one!

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LokiVanguard View Post
    A travesty if I ever read one!
    It was at first lack of a bike, and later lack of someone teaching me how to ride it, and also the whole lack of coordination thing.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oh i see. Well, I learned how to ride a bike when i was 4, but didn't learn my proper ABC's till I was 8 (I knew how to read, just didn't know that whole alphabet song. thank god for elmo)

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kids get bikes younger these days. We used to have Big Wheels though. Actually my brother and I shared a Big Wheel. LOL

Supposedly I shared my sister's bike (which had been my mom's at one point), but it was way way way too big for me, and she'd never have let me use it if it hadn't been too big anyway, so I just didn't have a bike. THEN, in a huge fit of injustice, my dad went out and bought my YOUNGER brother a bike even though I didn't have one. He'd told me I couldn't have one because we didn't have money to buy one, and then he ran out and bought one for my YOUNGER brother. I cried and cried. Oh, did I cry. He knew he had done wrong and he did get me a bike too. Then he wouldn't show me how to use it and eventually a friend's dad taught me to ride. So I did learn, but not till I was 8.
    -Mark Twain

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MAN. Why did he say he didn't have any money right to your face and then go buy your brother a bike???? I don't blame you for crying. I never had a bigwheel, were those fun? I always saw other kids ride em.

Creepy-Diana

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was the wild child when I was younger. I had a habit of climbing and running around just about as soon as I learned to walk. I was an explorer and an adventurer. Since I did not have really anyone my age in the area and a creek, I would spend a great deal of my time exploring the length of the creek for wildlife or seeing how various iconic spots of the creek had changed or would try my hand at engineering dams with rocks, clay, and broken branches.

I also had a good number of toys (Transformers, LEGO, GI Joe, etc.) and would create elaborate storylines and characters with them. Sometimes I would recreate movies that I had seen, but I would also make my own variations and plots. And since I thought that I was so creative, I would occasionally try and customize the appearance of these toys. And I did watch a good number of cartoons when I was kid on Saturday mornings and nights after it had become to dark at the creek. But I was also an avid reader on animals and zoology, and would read just about all that I could get my hands on (though preferably stuff with pictures) on the subject.
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Slacker Mom View Post
    I had a lot of tantrums and I kept getting them even when I was older than when kids generally outgrow them.
    You probably still do

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by XoX View Post
    You probably still do
    Probably They've really just changed slightly in format.
    -Mark Twain