Thread: Lao Tzu (the Taoism guy)

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Lao Tzu (the Taoism guy)

Any sense of VI is useless, so I am not going to bother posting pictures. But Lao Tzu is the founder and central figure of Taoism to whom Tao Te Ching (a collection of Taoist wisdom, sayings, poetry, etc.) is attributed.

Lao Tzu on Wikipedia
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"With the later developments by Lao Tzu, the Dao begins to take a path extending, and in some respects ascending above, that envisioned by Yang Chu. Whereas his predecessor had tried to elucidate on the Dao in terms of living according to nature, Lao Tzu elaborates by positing that the Dao was nameless (in the sense given by the Confucian ‘rectification of names’). Unlike all other being, the Dao is not a name in the sense that it possesses implicit attributes constituent of its essence. Rather it is the source from which all the rest are brought into being.

Yet, the goal is to come to understand the Dao and thereafter live in accordance with its implications. Thus we must try to explain it in a media ill-suited to the task. Hence, difficulty arises in its comprehension and, secondarily, with any attempts to transmit it.

However, the result of these changes in conception of the Dao is that it is now an eternal system, itself unchanging, that governs and dictates all the changes of the universe. Thus it is more completely conceived as an objective rule or set of rules that are themselves incommunicable via language.

One aspect of the Dao which Lao Tzu tries to communicate consists in that ‘reversing is the movement of the Dao.’ This means that any extreme quality must ultimately give rise to its opposite. If one is arrogant with regard to knowledge (‘Wow, I sure know a lot,’ a student may claim) this can only lead to its diminishing (‘I don’t need to listen to these ignoramuses’). Whereas, if one views him or herself with humility, this perceived lack of knowledge must lead to its expansion.

Failure to observe these laws governing change inevitably results in bad outcomes, such as the more narrow example given by Yang Chu whereby not following the Dao and valuing things was a prescription for an early demise. In carrying this principle of interrelated opposites, Lao Tzu recommends for daily conduct starting first from the opposite of what one intends and, in this way, an individual may achieve their aims (such as the previous example of the two students’ views on knowledge).

Equally important to success is the avoidance of excess in action. As individual persons yearn to accomplish their goals, they must be cautious. In seeking to get things done, one must avoid over doing them. To do otherwise is to violate the Dao. As a result of this excessive effort, the action itself will be carried out with a sense of artificiality. This in turn contradicts the naturalness which the Dao represents. Just as the Dao governs all that comes into being, so too does it grant to each its respective Te, or that whereby something is what it is (its essence or nature)."
    Last edited by munenori2; 02-07-2008 at 05:22 AM. Reason: It's worth noting that this is *my* interpretation of his work.
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In essence, taoism is the same view, attitude, perspective, philosophy ... as Schopenhauer's, or Robert M. Pirsig's in Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. And both Schopenhauer and Pirsig are ILIs.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Almost certainly SEI. I was a Taoist for years.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ne-INFj.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eunice View Post
    Ne-INFj.
    Why do you say that?
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Salawa View Post
    Why not SLI?
    You cannot just ask why not SLI, but you must also ask why an SLI.

Quote Originally Posted by Baby View Post
    I don't know about Schopenhauer, but Zen (or Ch'an) itself is a hybrid of Buddhism and Taoism. FWIW, I have found Zen is more Ni, and Tao is more Si.

I don't know what Lao Tzu's type would be (I don't believe he actually existed), but the Tao te Ching is one of my favorite scriptures in general. The mythical Lao Tzu seems possibly SLI.
    Neither do I, but I think that attempting to type him makes it easier than trying to type Taoism (and how it has evolved) in general.
    Johari Box

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Salawa View Post
    Why not SLI?
    Could be. Actually, Fe PoLR if you read his (supposed) teachings makes much sense.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
    In essence, taoism is the same view, attitude, perspective, philosophy ... as Schopenhauer's, or Robert M. Pirsig's in Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. And both Schopenhauer and Pirsig are ILIs.
    I have actually thought Pirsig is ISTp.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eunice View Post
    I have actually thought Pirsig is ISTp.
    Not the worst of guesses, but he is not an ISTp. Why would you think that he is that type?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Taoism is very clearly IP in temperament, so one can understand why people suggest ISFp. But it is also very clearly , so SEI would only fit in an outward sense. And Taoism is also cynical and distanced from the world in a way that is not compatible with leading types. However, this typing problems illustrates what is wrong with the quadras and why they should not be used as a typing tool.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not the worst of guesses, but he is not an ISTp. Why would you think that he is that type?
    On hindsight, I think you are right.

Exits, pursued by a bear. Animal's Avatar
    TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know about Schopenhauer, but Zen (or Ch'an) itself is a hybrid of Buddhism and Taoism. FWIW, I have found Zen is more Ni, and Tao is more Si.

I don't know what Lao Tzu's type would be (I don't believe he actually existed), but the Tao te Ching is one of my favorite scriptures in general. The mythical Lao Tzu seems possibly SLI.
    "How could we forget those ancient myths that stand at the beginning of all races, the myths about dragons that at the last moment are transformed into princesses? Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
    -- Rainer Maria Rilke, Letters to a Young Poet

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Baby View Post
    I don't know about Schopenhauer
    But I do. I can assure you that he is ILI.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But I do. I can assure you that he is ILI.
    But you have yet to really say why you think so.
    Johari Box

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    If I became a Taoist and wrote a book from a Taoist perspective, it wouldn't mean I'm the same type as Lao Tzu or that all Taoists are the the same type as Lao Tzu was.
    Of course not. And neither have I said anything about Lao Tzu's type. I have only said that Taoism is and IP.

Zen and the Art of M.M. is sitting on my bookshelf, but I've yet to read it. Zen I think has roots in Taoism, but it is not the same thing as Taoism.
    It's not the same thing, but the "temperaments" are very similar. And the book on your bookshelf has very little to say about Zen. It is much more interesting. I envy you if haven't read it yet. I wish I could read that book for the first time again ... that experience you can only have once in a lifetime. Don't miss it (and have patience the first 100 pages or so).

Tao te Ching It does seem kinda Ni though...
    Yes, no doubt.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It does seem kinda Ni though...
    It sure does. Obviously an IP temperament for the philosophy, as others have noted. Ni > Si is probable, and Te > Fe also looks probable. It would be really interesting now if we found out that it was actually some ESTp or ESFp who originated these ideas as a result of some deep psychological yearning for their dual. Heh heh. You never know.

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

This translation is... deep @para

::::::::::::::
    Graphics blind the eyes.
    Audio files deafen the ear.
    Mouse clicks numb the fingers.
    Heuristics weaken the mind.
    Options wither the heart.

The Guru observes the net
    but trusts his inner vision.
    He allows things to come and go.
    His heart is as open as the ether.
    When the Guru administers, the users
    are hardly aware that he exists.
    Next best is a sysop who is loved.
    Next, one who is feared.
    And worst, one who is despised.

If you don't trust the users,
    you make them untrustworthy.

The Guru doesn't talk, he hacks.
    When his work is done,
    the users say, "Amazing:
    we implemented it, all by ourselves!"
    Throw away documentation and manuals,
    and users will be a hundred times happier.
    Throw away privileges and quotas,
    and users will do the Right Thing.
    Throw away proprietary and site licenses,
    and there won't be any pirating.

If these three aren't enough,
    just stay at your home directory
    and let all processes take their course.
    When license fees are too high,
    users do things by hand.
    When the management is too intrusive,
    users lose their spirit.

Hack for the user's benefit.
    Trust them; leave them alone.

https://www.netfunny.com/rhf/jokes/92q2/taote.html

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aylen View Post
    This translation is... deep @para

Opening the internet should automatically redirect to this translation every five minutes...

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Most introverts are posible. INTP is certainly possible, IStj too, ISFP as well. INFJ is a distant possibility. INFP too, but least likely IMO. ISTP not possible at all. ESTP impossible.

IMO: the 4 most likely in this order:
    -INTP
    -ISTJ
    -ISFP
    -INFJ
    Well I am back. How's everyone? Don't have as much time now, but glad to see some of the old gang are still here.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SLI. ILI possibly, but seems more Delta.

TIM
    ~°~
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought Lao Tzu was one of those few Infinite souls and therefore untypable.
    ~* astralsilky

Each essence is a separate glass,
    Through which Sun of Being’s Light is passed,
    Each tinted fragment sparkles with the Sun,
    A thousand colors, but the Light is One.

Jami, 15th c. Persian Poet

Post types & fully individuated before 2012 ...

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vesstheastralsilky View Post
    I thought Lao Tzu was one of those few Infinite souls and therefore untypable.
    Is that from soul types?

The Infinite Soul is a representative of the tao itself. A reunited cadre or cadres serve to “channel” a specific aspect of the tao (truth, love or energy) through a representative fragment to the Earth, in order to catalyze a spiritual transformation in the totality of sentience.

The type that can be named is not the eternal type.

The Tao Te Ching

Unfortunate that the link has some typos that take away from the flow of it. The Stephen Mitchel translation is the one I like best.

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by para View Post
    SLI. ILI possibly, but seems more Delta.
    I agree. Taoism in general seems more Delta oriented. Yang Zhu one of the early precursors to Taoism I believe was SLI as well. He was considered a hedonist, early proponent of egoism, and epicurean which fits Delta particularly SLI philosophy. The only surviving material from him is in a book called Yang Zhu's "garden of pleasure"—http://www.sacred-texts.com/tao/ycgp/index.htm

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Aylen

The Mitchell translation is good, but it is more of a reinterpretation of Mitchell's own ideas of the Daoist concepts.

Red Pine has a very poetic, rooted translation which is accurate to some of the source material we have. (it is supposedly very tricky to accurately create a semantic bridge between ancient chinese and modern day languages.)

I urge you to read it if interest is in you.

http://zoraweb.com/lao-tzus-taoteching

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by para View Post
    @Aylen

The Mitchell translation is good, but it is more of a reinterpretation of Mitchell's own ideas of the Daoist concepts.

Red Pine has a very poetic, rooted translation which is accurate to some of the source material we have. (it is supposedly very tricky to accurately create a semantic bridge between ancient chinese and modern day languages.)

I urge you to read it if interest is in you.

http://zoraweb.com/lao-tzus-taoteching
    Thanks for the link.

I own several of these hard copy versions including that one in. Read them all but the Mitchell translation is still the most appealing to me.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...=1AABAW0069U2V

YWIMW

TIM
    ILI-N
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Taoism close to SLI. Lao Tzu was problaby XLI, eventhough taoism is SLI I'm sure most of EII and ILI like that philosophy (Ursula K. Le Guin who transleted also liked Tao Te Ching was an ILI).

TIM
    ILI - H/C 4w5 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LII. This guy basically had a mindset of a Alpha scientist. But science doesn't appears in that era yet, so it became a religion.

Also his anarchy society idea is more Alpha than Delta.