Thread: Typing and dual relationships

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Typing and dual relationships

While reading the descriptions of dual relationships (my favourite part so far ), I was wondering: did these descriptions help you understand what was your psychological type in any way?
    4w5, tritype 469, sx/sp/so

Burning in water, Drowning in fire

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Yes
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beautiful sky View Post
    Yes
    How?

What's the purpose of SEI? Tallmo's Avatar
    TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    306 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ocean91 View Post
    How?
    When you meet a dual you might notice it. At the same time you type yourself, the other person and the relationship. Everything fits.
    The decisive thing is not the reality of the object, but the reality of the subjective factor, i.e. the primordial images, which in their totality represent a psychic mirror-world. It is a mirror, however, with the peculiar capacity of representing the present contents of consciousness not in their known and customary form but in a certain sense sub specie aeternitatis, somewhat as a million-year old consciousness might see them.

(Jung on Si)

TIM
    SLI
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

reading the intertype descriptions was a step in the process to understand what my intertypes with my IRL relationships was, which helped me to understand my type.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No , it doesn't help me , Except perhaps the worst relationships like conflict and supervision
    Souls know their way back home

TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    306 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

While reading the descriptions of dual relationships (my favourite part so far ), I was wondering: did these descriptions help you understand what was your psychological type in any way?
    Just remember that lots of duals you have nothing in common with and you are like aliens.
    The decisive thing is not the reality of the object, but the reality of the subjective factor, i.e. the primordial images, which in their totality represent a psychic mirror-world. It is a mirror, however, with the peculiar capacity of representing the present contents of consciousness not in their known and customary form but in a certain sense sub specie aeternitatis, somewhat as a million-year old consciousness might see them.

(Jung on Si)

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kind of. It made me aware of patterns I present when I'm interested in someone, I was aware of said patterns but then I got to read a description of what it is like. Though interactions with your dual can be very weird and not as "smooth" as the theory make it sound like, almost frustrating at times yet there's that feeling of "I get you bro" y'know. Other types of relations can be as helpful as dual ones too but resouces on these are more scarce, considering presentations vary from the basic theory depending on the types involved. But dual descriptions are quite amusing to read.

I'm not hungry mommy bear BrainlessSquid's Avatar
    TIM
    IEE-Fi
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tallmo View Post
    Just remember that lots of duals you have nothing in common with and you are like aliens.
    I tend to think that conflictors are aliens. Duals have much more in common than a lot of non duals.
    At least in my experience.

What do you know about duals and duality?
    Sometimes you don't have motivation because you lack purpose.
    Sometimes you don't have purpose, because you lack self-knowledge
    Sometimes you don't have self-knowledge because you lack love
    Sometimes you don't have love because you lack self-love
    Sometimes you don't have self-love because you lack guess what? Ask Gulenko!!

TIM
    SLI
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

with same values, same last dichotomy they're not really ''aliens'' with whom you have ''nothing in common''. exotic and alluring, sure. aliens can be said to be the ones whose sum of type-related characteristics are most unlike yours, i.e. conflictors.

TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    306 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MathHysteriaOfSoul View Post
    I tend to think that conflictors are aliens. Duals have much more in common than a lot of non duals.
    Duals are in a way opposite types. I don't feel they have that much in common but maybe the chemistry makes it feel that way.

I have ILE friends and I have had romances with ILE women. It was how I discovered Socionics, through dating. The dual chemistry is very easy to notice.

(Jung on Si)

TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    306 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nifl View Post
    with same values, same last dichotomy they're not really ''aliens'' with whom you have ''nothing in common''. exotic and alluring, sure. aliens can be said to be the ones whose sum of type-related characteristics are most unlike yours, i.e. conflictors.
    They have opposite functional strengths and weaknesses. That sure has consequences. As I said in another post, I think the chemistry alters our perception of duals. Duals are more different than it feels like. There is also projections going on between duals, because of the strong impact on the unconscious.

(Jung on Si)

TIM
    SLI
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They have opposite functional strengths and weaknesses. That sure has consequences.
    consequences seem to be that they aren't initially easy to understand, but due to their values and the attractiveness of their ego functions they are relatively easy to accept; the willingness there helps understanding and development. conflictors and superegos are both harder to understand and to accept.
    if you have difficulty accepting and thus understanding ILE, then perhaps you aren't SEI. i never had significant troubles in these areas with IEE, because i felt little rejection of what they are, and their guidance by their ego, and vice versa was the same. for sure, they aren't identicals/mirrors, but 'aliens' they are not, as i see it, ITR-wise.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

How?
    They describe aspects of yourself that you might do naturally but never put thought or analysis into it and therefore did not try to find the words to describe the behavior or actions.

People think of duals as exact opposites when they are not. The energy of duals usually match and also some things overlap due to valued way of existing such as my duals being LSE have strong morals just as I do so morals are not alien to them. When I express my morals they agree with it and thus things are come to an agreement
    -

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

I'm not hungry mommy bear BrainlessSquid's Avatar
    TIM
    IEE-Fi
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Duals are in a way opposite types. I don't feel they have that much in common but maybe the chemistry makes it feel that way.

I have ILE friends and I have had romances with ILE women. It was how I discovered Socionics, through dating. The dual chemistry is very easy to notice.
    How would you describe dual chemistry? I'm trying to see if your descriptions fit my perceptions
    Sometimes you don't have motivation because you lack purpose.
    Sometimes you don't have purpose, because you lack self-knowledge
    Sometimes you don't have self-knowledge because you lack love
    Sometimes you don't have love because you lack self-love
    Sometimes you don't have self-love because you lack guess what? Ask Gulenko!!

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

IR can and should be used to understand own type. Their descriptions are useful. The main is idea about supplementing/opposing pairs of functions variants.
    It's the best way to check your valued functions, as to understand this directly is much harder.

When I decided about own type I had doubts about LSI possibility as tests often shaw this. After thinking what types have people I know irl and how I perceive them - LSI would fit badly, while LSE fited good.

The problem with own values understanding is seen of how often people assign themselves types of opposite quadra.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sol View Post
    IR can and should be used to understand own type. Their descriptions are useful. The main is idea about supplementing/opposing pairs of functions variants.
    It's the best way to check your valued functions, as to understand this directly is much harder.

When I decided about own type I had doubts about LSI possibility as tests often shaw this. After thinking what types have people I know irl and how I perceive them - LSI would fit badly, while LSE fited good.

The problem with own values understanding is seen of how often people assign themselves types of opposite quadra.
    Why are you so damn adamant about assigning LSI to her when she displays no traits of LSI whatsoever.

Why?!?
    What is going on in your head?
    -

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beautiful sky View Post
    Why are you so damn adamant about assigning LSI to her when she displays no traits of LSI whatsoever.
    He's referring to himself, not the OP

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by loopyclouds View Post
    He's referring to himself, not the OP
    When he wants to rub in the type he has for others he repeats it like a broken record
    -

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The dual chemistry is very easy to notice.
    Ooooh I want to know more about dual chemistry too! Is it as magical as when Pocahontas and John Smith first meet?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Riven View Post
    Kind of. It made me aware of patterns I present when I'm interested in someone, I was aware of said patterns but then I got to read a description of what it is like. Though interactions with your dual can be very weird and not as "smooth" as the theory make it sound like, almost frustrating at times yet there's that feeling of "I get you bro" y'know. Other types of relations can be as helpful as dual ones too but resouces on these are more scarce, considering presentations vary from the basic theory depending on the types involved. But dual descriptions are quite amusing to read.
    I have read in several articles that compatibility between dominant or creative subtypes can also make the dualisation process more or less difficult, not to mention attachment style and personality disorders.

TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    306 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nifl View Post
    consequences seem to be that they aren't initially easy to understand, but due to their values and the attractiveness of their ego functions they are relatively easy to accept; the willingness there helps understanding and development. conflictors and superegos are both harder to understand and to accept.
    if you have difficulty accepting and thus understanding ILE, then perhaps you aren't SEI. i never had significant troubles in these areas with IEE, because i felt little rejection of what they are, and their guidance by their ego, and vice versa was the same. for sure, they aren't identicals/mirrors, but 'aliens' they are not, as i see it, ITR-wise.
    It depends on the situation and other things. Often it's neutral. Duals can sometimes go a long time without discovering anything special. Then maybe they get time to sit down face to face for the first time and suddenly they discover the chemistry. But even then it can be lost when the situation changes. Not all duals are made to spend more time together.

I know perfectly well how great duality can be, especially in romantic relationships. But it can also mean that you date an unsuitable person (for non-socionics reasons) and the dual chemistry is all that carries the relationship. This can be confusing.

The OP seems to be new to socionics and duality, so that's why I made this warning. If he reads dual description he might expect too much if he hasn't had enough time to discover duality in practise.

(Jung on Si)

TIM
    LII 5w6-1w9-2w1
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MathHysteriaOfSoul View Post

I once met a dual (ESE) and she's attracted to me. However, our intellectual interests differ a lot and to some extent she and I are like aliens. We went on two dates, and then I gave up on the idea of developing a romantic relationship further.

I really like the way she communicates with me, and I feel very comfortable with her even when it is a simple communication. She created a great sense of atmosphere in the communication, a feeling that is hard to describe. I like it. I also feel that she has the ability to take care of people. However, we have a relatively large difference in our intellectual interests. When we communicate, we focus on quite different things. So to some extent, we are like aliens. Nontheless, I'm pretty sure that she's my dual since I can identify her Fe and Si clearly.

Perhaps this choice is closely related to the development of the Internet. I'm not sure how it would have been in the past. But I imagine that in the past, the Internet was not as developed as it is today, and the topics of interest to people were perhaps not as diverse as they are today. I rarely follow TV shows and popular movies. The vast majority of my interests are in various different subcultural circles of an intellectual nature on the Internet. This may have prevented me from finding a mutually suitable dual.