Ti --> 'external coherence'
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
    Field Dynamics:
    Ni: Internal Cohesion
    Si: External Cohesion
    Object Statics:
    Ne: Internal Contours
    Se: External Contours
    I like these, but I'm not sure what is really meant by the bolded. I prefer to start from neutral terms and then work my way up to something applicable, so how would you guys expand on these definitions to make them less abstract?

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought about "properties," but it seemed too broad. Flux is good; it represents the dynamic aspect better than cohesion, but not so much the subjective element.

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm, hasn't it been said before that with Beta groups "you're either in or you're out" and that participation is required. Where as with Alpha groups, you can just leave and walk off and that's fine--it doesn't mean you're "out" of the group (you're not required to participate and aren't bound to the group in any way, you can just come and go and don't have to answer to the group's objectives/ideals)? Anyway I could see there being more obligation and commitment in Se quadras that Ne quadras might find stifling and would see as, in the case of Beta at least, group conformity. With Beta it would be heavier on the side of commitment to the group/ideal/cause/whatever; with Gamma it would be heavier on the side of commitment/obligation in individual relationships.

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamicism View Post
    I haven't really thought about any of this in awhile. The best I could more or less come up with was:

OD (object dynamics) are means for evaluating causality
    Te --> 'external causality'
    Fe --> 'internal causality'
    FS (field statics) are means for evaluating coherence
    Fi--> 'internal coherence'
    Ti --> 'external coherence'

I also think functions have an implicit dependence upon their complements. That is to say, the manifest cause-effect determinations made by Te are silently rooted in an Fi framework. The inferences that Fe draws rely on the backdrop of a Ti framework. Conversely, Fi needs Te in order to cross-reference itself with "the real world" and incorporate updates. Ti needs Fe in order to verify itself and check the validity of its rulesets.
    Sounds good. How do irrational elements come into it, though? If I were to describe myself in these terms, I'd say I use Te with Ni this way, not with Fi. This is purely introspective though.

Quote Originally Posted by look.to.the.sky View Post
    This is where our difference lies. I don't think qualitative information is personal and only applicable to the person who produces it. If that were so, case studies would be useless, and large parts of psychology, sociology and anthropology wouldn't be considered sciences. Something qualitative is descriptive and can be communicated as such, I can describe anything and you'd understand through my words. Is there room for interpretation? Sure, but not much differently as there is room in any other communication. Qualitative doesn't mean subjective.
    Doesn't it? Qualitative assessment isn't the same as assessing quality. Let's imagine estimating the value of a diamond. You can examine it and attempt to guess it by it's characteristics ("it seems a good color and clarity"), or measure it - quantifying information about quality - in applicable system and use it to make an estimate ("it's E and VSI"). This is not only explicit, but physical example - an analogy for more abstract/implicit matters.

It's visible in communication - whenever something is seriously discussed, sooner or later definitions of terms involved start. This is especially true in the disciplines you mentioned - psychology, sociology, anthropology - because without clear definitions, two people can discuss completely different things each. Even now we do exactly this, to realize where our viewpoints collide. Introduction of a standard leads to quantification, because standards tend to be quantity-dependent, since quantity is universal and quality isn't. What I mean is, shared information converges to such a standard. It's entirely possible to attempt to communicate your introverted understanding, but it's more of an inspiration thing for others and not something we look for an agreement on or are adjusting for sake of an understanding with others - in this way, it's inherently individual.

Interpretation is independent issue; rational/irrational and internal/external go with both introverted and extroverted, and these matter here.

I'm not really sure, I guess I do put my feelings in relation to myself, as in "that makes me feel ___" or my emotions never seem immediate, always like I've thought about them first and then told you. There's a little of both, I'm not sure they are so distinct from one another really. When I read it I had to think about it.
    Thanks. I suppose I should bother some Fi-base next.

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Hmm, hasn't it been said before that with Beta groups "you're either in or you're out" and that participation is required. Where as with Alpha groups, you can just leave and walk off and that's fine--it doesn't mean you're "out" of the group (you're not required to participate and aren't bound to the group in any way, you can just come and go and don't have to answer to the group's objectives/ideals)? Anyway I could see there being more obligation and commitment in Se quadras that Ne quadras might find stifling and would see as, in the case of Beta at least, group conformity. With Beta it would be heavier on the side of commitment to the group/ideal/cause/whatever; with Gamma it would be heavier on the side of commitment/obligation in individual relationships.
    Sounds right.

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I think I'd agree w/ this overall. Though I'd also add something to emphasize that the Je fxns aren't more literally objective (or less subjective) than the Ji fxns. It's a difference in orientation only—Je treats information as if it were objective, regardless how "truly objective" that information may really be.
    There is something noticeably valuable in this observation of the "fxns." I like it, though I'm sure I thought of it before and wasn't sure what to think of it.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The thing people don't get about Te and Fe is that they track causality only from a very subjective point of view. They don't observe how one thing preceedes another on an objectively real plane (I argue that this is a non-sensical notion in modern physics); they just register that one thing is observed prior to the other. Everybody has these ingrained notions about "extrovert" meaning objectivity, but where these functions are concerned this yields a misleading picture.

Te and Fe are both forms of empiricist functions, and that means they are interested in the rational account of sense experience. Sense experience is something initially subjective, but Te and Fe make this experience publicly discutable.

Its all about the conflicting, alternative interpretations of the words objective and subjective. Te and Fe are publicly justifyable, but not primarily concerned with objects in reality the way Ne and Se are.

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I posted something on pg. 9 re: irrational elements
    I saw the list, what I mean is the part where elements work together (i.e. how you describe Fe with Ti and Te with Fi). Like, how do rational ones interact with irrational.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Object: Information treated as something discrete and existing outside of one's self; regarded in an objective manner (note: this doesn't mean it literally is objective).

Dynamic: Information viewed with respect to its changes over time.

External: Pertaining to what is explicit, manifest, direct, and/or demonstrable in some way.

Internal: Pertaining to what is implicit, latent, indirect, and/or can only be inferred in some way.
    I realize that these are just the standard socionics definitions of the terms, but that doesn't mean they are exempt from criticism. The definitions are problematic from the perspective of Kantian philosophy. The object is something that the subject can only "know" by means of an inference: it is something of which the subject has only images and impressions available, which it needs to piece together in order to form a representation of the object. This means that "object" is by definition only indirectly knowable via an inference and thus in conflict with the definition of "external". This in turn means that "external object" would be a contradiction in terms.

I prefer to define internal/external in terms of internalcy and externalcy of reference. External means that the totality of properties of an entity is refered to, such that the entity is singularly isolated. Internal means that an internal selection of properties is refered to and that the complement of this selection is left unspecified.

This definition is fully compatible, in fact, equivalent, to the terms "well-defined" and "not-well-defined" that have seen use on this forum in the past.

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

External Coherence (Ti) prefers information be assessed according to an explicitly defined contextual framework. Such a framework needn't be logical in the strict sense, but it must be communicable in some public way. Considers that knowing the exact boundaries, parameters, scope, and structure of an argument/idea/etc. is of vital precedence.

Make any sense?
    How does Te compare to this though? The Je fxns are supposed to be needed to be seen as objective, right? So Te needs to be seen as objective, though Ti only needs to be stated (in a framework sort of way)? I've always had a problem with both of these things personally, ah but I guess I don't really see how logic can be "subjective," since I figure if I can explain it to someone, they will understand it too and most people will agree that it makes sense. Idk, I still don't really understand the difference I'd rather just have simple definitions about what each one is, instead of systemizing things like this. I would cohere things if I had definitions in front of me, like "what you said or did seems like Ti" or "what you said or did seems like Fi." Or the "experience" of these functions. Are you saying that Ti is less based on just experience and more based on explaining things in secondary forms? Because the point of "explaining" something so it's "explicit" would be that you make sure others also understand it too, right?

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Te would be more strictly empirical compared to Ti. Instead of an emphasis on understanding the contextual framework of something and its logical structure, Te would be more primarily drawn to investigate things like its etiology, function, mechanical operations, etc.
    So it kind of gets a feel for things by themselves instead of contrasting them side by side with other related things, and possibly explores those deeper alien areas which can't be compared. Can you give me an example of what a "contextual framework" might look like?

TIM
    NeFi
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Internal Causality (Fe) is oriented towards an inferential understanding of causal processes present in reality. Causal processes can be tangible worldly phenomena or intangible phenomena such as "the mechanics of human emotion" or something along these lines.
    For some reason, I can't really ground this in my mind. Can you give me a quick comparison to and within this system you've outlined so I can visualize this a bit more? It just seems to be the most abstract one (to me) and I can only think of stereotypical ways to observe it. Otherwise, I like this set up and would like to think on it more it see how it relates to how I understand IEs. It's been a constant tweaking, but productive. has just been one the IEs ( is the other) that has been the hardest for me to describe, so I assume I don't have the firmest conception (and why I'm the most reluctant to type Betas most likely). I came up with something similar a couple months ago:

Xe = outside information not dependent on the observer
    Xi = inside information dependent on the observer
    Sx = information from appraisal of present state
    Nx = information from appraisal of potential state
    Tx = quantitative information
    Fx = qualitative information
    Was meant to be a quicky rather than a claim, but I guess I'd have to incorporate what ideas I find interesting with the lists you both provided into this. I think I'm starting to understand what Aiss means by qualitative/quantitative, or at least my attachment to the words, but it seems more like something I should accept rather than understand, so I'm trying to dig in more.

Well, it probably depends on the ideas you have about what 'objective' and 'subjective' mean.
    I think, at least in this thread but possibly elsewhere, that there's a bit of confusion of what's meant by objective and subjective in relation to IEs. I think people should look at it as objective and subjective, making note that there is a detached object and an observing subject, respectively, not someone being unbiased or stuck in their own personal view.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Te would be more strictly empirical compared to Ti. Instead of an emphasis on understanding the contextual framework of something and its logical structure, Te would be more primarily drawn to investigate things like its etiology, function, mechanical operations, etc.

It's an objective orientation, which isn't the same as being objective. No brain is going to be capable of purely objective perception and judgment.

Well, it probably depends on the ideas you have about what 'objective' and 'subjective' mean.
    yup

External Coherence (Ti) prefers information be assessed according to an explicitly defined contextual framework. Such a framework needn't be logical in the strict sense, but it must be communicable in some public way. Considers that knowing the exact boundaries, parameters, scope, and structure of an argument/idea/etc. is of vital precedence.

Make any sense?
    yes
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Object functions only treat information as if it's objective—something separate and distinct from their own perception. It isn't in actuality, but being able to process things from a seeming objective orientation is necessary. Now, whether or not the person knows that it isn't 'really' objective... is another matter entirely. Usually unhealth makes object functions boldly convinced that they are objective (when they're really not).
    I'd also add that they try to be objective, and through that more open to external input, like a differing point of view, synthetizing perspectives in an attempt to eliminate subject's influence.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blaze View Post
    really? beta definitely has a pecking order and a code to live by. if you deviate, you're out. gammas are usually in tight little in-groups where you only get in if you're gamma. i attribute this in part to Se ego.
    indeed. however, you said it much better. :wink:

ILE

those who are easily shocked.....should be shocked more often

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If your input meant anything at all to me, you would have been gone a long time ago. Thank your lucky stars that you appear to me as nothing more than a pesky fly.
    whatever you need to believe gill but we both know better and so does everyone else. as a matter of fact, i think who you really are comes forth quite clearly in this thread. that said, i'm done with this conversation.

ILE

those who are easily shocked.....should be shocked more often

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"All phenomena are real in some sense, unreal in some sense, meaningless in some sense, real and meaningless in some sense, unreal and meaningless in some sense, and real and unreal and meaningless in some sense."
    -Robert Anton Wilson
    I refuse to accept it as .

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blaze View Post
    whatever you need to believe gill but we both know better and so does everyone else. as a matter of fact, i think who you really are comes forth quite clearly in this thread. that said, i'm done with this conversation.
    blah blah blah, I'm an insecure bitch who just wants to be heard, blah blah blah...take your presumptuousness elsewhere.

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why?
    I would say it's more Ni than anything else. It's not just that I like it or whatever, but the attitude of it, the way it deals with meaning and simultaneity of it make me think Ni. It's a lot how I think. So far all aspects of Fe that I've heard of seemed unnatural to say the least (not including the quotes you posted).

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, how would it be delivered in a way?

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Yes, it is heavily dosed w/ and that's exactly why I thought it would be an interesting example. Because in spite of its content, I think the method of delivery itself is more reflective of .
    Ok I understand now about the thing, I had to think about it. I kinda see Ne in that.
    Last edited by Beautiful sky; 06-11-2010 at 11:01 PM.
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, it is heavily dosed w/ and that's exactly why I thought it would be an interesting example. Because in spite of its content, I think the method of delivery itself is more reflective of .
    I would say so of the first Dali quote, but I don't see how Fe manifests in the one discussed here. Then again, I'm far from a fan of Fe. Any giveaway clues?

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ It seems to me that you focus on philosophical vs scientific approach here. While I agree it has basis in reality through suitability and correlation, I wouldn't say they're mutually exclusive, especially as far as verbal expression is concerned. The two people you quote both take the scientific turn, with no philosophical approach in ILI flavour. I can see it as potentially more cynical towards people and toying with words rather than emotions they're meant to induce, and it's in accord with the quote in question. Not saying it's no Fe, but I see no significant Fe influence here. Sure, if author was Fe-dominant it can hardly be free of it, but it affects its value as an example of such none the less.

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mm, hard to explain. It's in the tempo of the writing when you read it, the way it seems to rapidly flit back and forth (which likely enhances its effect I imagine). It comes across a bit more animated than I would expect from say, a / type. Does that make sense?
    I don't know. As I said earlier, it's not that I say it's no Fe, but I can easily imagine ILI saying that, so it's probably down to interpretation. I see what you mean about the tempo and that's what I read there as well, but if what you mean by enhancing effect is some sort of emotional appeal, it's the part I'm not very attuned to and my appreciation of it differs.

Not a good example of Fe, I think, one way or the other.

Originally from black hole, currently residing in Jupiter
    TIM
    EIE-Ni
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aiss View Post
    I refuse to accept it as .
    It's
    Sincerely Yours,

Beyond the clouds. Beyond the sun.

The Rebel without a cause.

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not intentionally. These were just the only quotes I had on hand by Gamma NTs which were remotely close to the RAW quote.

? Neither of them are saying its mutually exclusive either, nor are they taking a scientific route.

Nah, I doubt RAW was being cynical. Nor is there anything at all unusual about finding value in what he said IMO, no matter functions it may or may not have been constituted from.
    By "not mutually exclusive" I meant exactly differing sample. (And I never said the quote was cynical.)

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What were you referring to as cynical?
    I was speculating about potential significant differences between IEI/ILI in this "philosophical" approach (not a good descriptor on second thought, but it'll do), which aren't really applicable to the quote.

TIM
    NeFi
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They all seemed to be very descriptive, I don't know how it's really distinctly or causality. I don't know why I'm not seeing it, for some reason none of that seems like it'd really be distinct from type to type.

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fe goes about it in a much more inferential and implicit manner. Whereas Te will sound more direct and explicit.
    This is about right, I think. Te tries to convey truth explicitly, bluntly, with the goal being to describe in a concrete, almost scientific manner, with emphasis placed on naming things properly and truthfully, whereas Fe is more concerned with the effect it has, the artistic truth, if you will, of a statement, of transmitting emotions, with the resonance of subjective experience being the primary barometer of effectiveness in communication. With Te, words are both a means and an ends, whereas with Fe, words are the means to an end, the end being direct internal experience. I remember once someone asked me about my writing technique, and the best way I could describe it to them was that my aim is to never say anything explicitly, but that the art of writing was rather to encircle the point you wish to make, to indicate it from every direction without naming it explicitly, to guide the reader to see what was already there within themselves, with the words acting only as a mirror, a medium or conduit from their own mind to their own heart.

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can easily imagine an ILI conveying precisely the same kind of sentiment, just worded differently.

I don't think theres an actual emotional appeal going on with it. I was just referring more to the style—it has an unusual construction and one which makes the statement more immediately thought-provoking.
    Notice how both Te and Fe are describing some process. But look at the ways they go about doing it so differently. Fe goes about it in a much more inferential and implicit manner. Whereas Te will sound more direct and explicit.
    I can easily see ILI using the same style, that's the problem. Maybe my English doesn't give it much credibility, but when writing (esp. fiction) and not discussing a theory, this difference isn't nearly as superficial. Or I simply enjoy this aspect of Fe, though the idea seems strange.

This is about right, I think. Te tries to convey truth explicitly, bluntly, with the goal being to describe in a concrete, almost scientific manner, with emphasis placed on naming things properly and truthfully, whereas Fe is more concerned with the effect it has, the artistic truth, if you will, of a statement, of transmitting emotions, with the resonance of subjective experience being the primary barometer of effectiveness in communication. With Te, words are both a means and an ends, whereas with Fe, words are the means to an end, the end being direct internal experience. I remember once someone asked me about my writing technique, and the best way I could describe it to them was that my aim is to never say anything explicitly, but that the art of writing was rather to encircle the point you wish to make, to indicate it from every direction without naming it explicitly, to guide the reader to see what was already there within themselves, with the words acting only as a mirror, a medium or conduit from their own mind to their own heart.
    I identify a lot with it - again, in context of non-scientific writing. Which is why I don't really see how that works on Te/Fe axis. I agree with Te being more direct and explicit, also in writing, but it doesn't mean not encircling the point - although come to think of it, in Te case it could be more akin to obfuscating. With the exception of emotionality, it seems more similar than different. It's more directed at mind than heart, in the terms you use, but not conveying the point explicitly - I'd rather say it's the use explicit observations as a method of conveying, encircling a more implicit point.

(Yes, I realize this whole argument shows focus on describing it in a concrete, almost scientific manner, with emphasis placed on naming things properly and truthfully. That's actually the difference between discussion and writing as such that I mean... I find it hard to equal the latter with Fe of all elements, though perhaps this encircling, indirectness is more part of Ni nature of the content, with directness in style.)
    Last edited by Aiss; 06-12-2010 at 08:27 AM.

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

“I feel that a real living form is the natural result of the individual's effort to create the living thing out of the adventure of his spirit into the unknown—where it has experienced something, felt something it has not understood, and from that experience comes the desire to make the unknown known. By unknown I mean the thing that means so much to the person that he wants to put it down—to clarify something he feels but does not clearly understand. I some way feel that everyone is born with it clear, but that with most of humanity it becomes blasted, one way or another...”
    That's a bit crass, but a well-worded and appropriately guided statement nonetheless.

“Some things just come to me in dreams. But I can write a bunch of stuff down after you leave . . . about, say, the way you are dressed. I look at people as ideas. I don't look at them as people. I'm talking about general observation. Whoever I see, I look at them as an idea—what this person represents. That's the way I see life. I see life as a utilitarian thing. Then you strip things away until you get to the core of what's Important . . . in the larger scheme of things, the government is irrelevant. Everybody, everything can be bought and sold.”
    Some Gamma Irrational?

“Some people will say that words like scum and rotten are wrong for Objective Journalism—which is true, but they miss the point. It was the built-in blind spots of the Objective rules and dogma that allowed Nixon to slither into the White House in the first place. He looked so good on paper that you could almost vote for him sight unseen. He seemed so all-American, so much like Horatio Alger, that he was able to slip through the cracks of Objective Journalism. You had to get Subjective to see Nixon clearly, and the shock of recognition was often painful.”
    Ahaha, Nixon was ESI.

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah, here. A greater breadth of evidence would probably help (or if you're just plain curious): More quotes by him at this link and his blog is at this link.
    Thanks, I've looked at those. Looks like it's time I got up to date on Wilson's writing. I don't see anything I'd call Fe there, though. Possibly it's just supervision - some people claim all your supervisor says sounds good, although I don't really get it from EIEs on this forum.

Maybe you're INFp.
    I even joked about it once, but that was in context of someone's attempt at summarizing PoLRs.

I don't think I qualify as Fe ego - I don't do well socially, I send the wrong signals most of the time, can't read body language, etc. On the other hand, I appreciate efficiency (... ok, so the truth is I'm just lazy and want to get things done with as little effort on my part as possible) and factual accuracy (especially in scientific or similar context), skepticism. I also have the tendency to look for as much information about a subject as possible to get the image of it, and - stereotypically - find examples of Beta STs comments such as in latest Maritsa thread objectionable, if not exactly offensive to me personally. External dynamics of objects seems about right for what I do - I can see where things lead, where the conversation goes, but not the more subtle emotional clues. That's not to say I'm not emotional myself, but I can't fine tune the expression of it and attempt to contain it inside instead.

Intertype relations make more sense for ILI, too.

“I feel that a real living form is the natural result of the individual's effort to create the living thing out of the adventure of his spirit into the unknown—where it has experienced something, felt something it has not understood, and from that experience comes the desire to make the unknown known. By unknown I mean the thing that means so much to the person that he wants to put it down—to clarify something he feels but does not clearly understand. I some way feel that everyone is born with it clear, but that with most of humanity it becomes blasted, one way or another...”
    The more I read into this, the more it resonates with my view. Yet I can't completely agree with it as a whole. It kind of reminds me of my understanding of Enneagram, too.

“Some things just come to me in dreams. But I can write a bunch of stuff down after you leave . . . about, say, the way you are dressed. I look at people as ideas. I don't look at them as people. I'm talking about general observation. Whoever I see, I look at them as an idea—what this person represents. That's the way I see life. I see life as a utilitarian thing. Then you strip things away until you get to the core of what's Important . . . in the larger scheme of things, the government is irrelevant. Everybody, everything can be bought and sold.”
    People as ideas... no, not exactly, not at all in some sense. It would require much too much simplification. Utilitarian, yes, but there's a lot of it that's important in the larger scheme of things, not just ideas people represent, but what they just happen to do as well. I see the stripping things away part, it's just I don't believe in getting it all down to create a world of ideas, so to speak.

I can't but agree with the point about government and people.

“Some people will say that words like scum and rotten are wrong for Objective Journalism—which is true, but they miss the point. It was the built-in blind spots of the Objective rules and dogma that allowed Nixon to slither into the White House in the first place. He looked so good on paper that you could almost vote for him sight unseen. He seemed so all-American, so much like Horatio Alger, that he was able to slip through the cracks of Objective Journalism. You had to get Subjective to see Nixon clearly, and the shock of recognition was often painful.”
    Political correctness, yuck.

Interpreting it separately from this point, I'd say that I'm allergic to populism and useless rhetoric, so yes, I disagree with the use of invectives in journalism, but that's more because of holding it to certain standards (which people of said profession manage to compromise anyway) that avoidance of critique or such. I suppose that's the intended meaning of this excerpt, so I'd say I disagree with using emotional appeal to manipulate people, though I can see how it's one way to fight populism with their own weapon.

TIM
    NeFi
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you people sleep? lol

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nixon VIs pretty solidly as a rational sensor to me; I have no ESIs to put him up against, but it makes decent sense as far as I can see. If I went on VI alone, I would probably stick him as LSE, though. Who would you put him up to for SLEs?

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually my closest bet to Nixon for VI would be Laurence Fishburne:

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you people sleep? lol
    I slept between 5:30 and 7:30, and awoke feeling slightly drowsy but overall well rested.

TIM
    NeFi
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was on the verge of sleep a short while ago. Then all of a sudden felt jolted back awake for no apparent reason. So essentially, no.
    I slept between 5:30 and 7:30, and awoke feeling slightly drowsy but overall well rested.
    This is when I'd do some concerned henpecking, but I'm sure neither of you would appreciate that

For some reason I take this multiple ways, and I'm not sure why, but I can see all of and creatives saying this.

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I see few similarities between Trump and Nixon. To me, Trump seems fake but so bad at it that its kind of endearing, generally lighthearted, and he has the feel of being much more focused, concentrated. Nixon, on the other hand, seems stern, anxious, and has to try to be lighthearted. This comparison actually cements my opinion that Nixon is Fi valuing.

In the first photos, Trump seems eager, confident, and focused; Nixon seems physically relaxed and has an air of billiousness.

In the second photos, Trump is plastering on a fake smile and isn't hiding it well at all; Nixon is doing the same, but seems like he is tapping into a sort of inner vulnerability to give it some credibility.

In the third set, Trump is making a lighthearted, exaggerated gesture of a feigned exercise of power; Nixon is giving a stern reprimand, with an undertone of fear.

In the fourth set, Trump exhibits a boyish sense of entitlement, a certain arrogant brattiness that is common in Se types; Nixon shows an almost childish jokiness, like he is trying to get people to go along with him. They both show an immature side, but Trump's is ingenuous and off-putting, while Nixon's is forced and intended to provoke agreement while letting out passive aggression.

In short, I'm pretty sure I see the similarities you are getting at, but I think on anything more than a superficial level, they show more difference between the two than similarity.

TIM
    NeFi
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What ways?
    Well, at first it reminded me of an internal track of SiTe, the need to explore the unknown and understand what it does or means for the person involved. Having feelings that they cannot put words to, and have to go through visceral experiences to understand them. But then I was like, huh, maybe that writing is more NiTe'ish like, because types like to go into the unknown, but not necessarily figure it out or solve it, just to be privy to it, so it could be that this person wants to experience the unknown but not really uncover it just yet. But then the romantic notion and wording seemed more along the lines of what an NiFe would write, I think stereotypically it seems like the writing of NiFe. Okay, maybe I see it more as a pull between NiFe and SiTe; or, I just entertain too many answers at once and can't immediately determine which one is the most plausible.

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is when I'd do some concerned henpecking, but I'm sure neither of you would appreciate that
    Sure wouldn't.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast