Quote Originally Posted by myresearch View Post
That is your point of view based on the lifestyles that you observed.
Well sure, but everyone only has access to the information they’ve observed, directly or indirectly.

I didn't say yatch could be seen as low status. I said people can see something as high status when other people see it as low status. Just consider xyz brand model car that is not high end.

Some people have a great amount of money and it is not too much to spend for them.
I apologize for misinterpreting then. But no matter how much money you have, buying a yacht is still likely to be done for status concerns for the reasons I mentioned — they don’t tend to be used often enough to justify the purchase on the grounds of their utility.

Yes, multi-millionaire LII can also buy a yatch, or they may not. Ofcourse, LII would be different than SEE. However, you seem to think that yatch is status symbol independent from the amount of wealth and lifestyle.

Besides, you know an average house cost more than a car, right?
I do think it’s a status symbol, yes. Even if money is absolutely nothing to you, it does take considerable effort to buy a yacht, figure out where to keep it, pay insurance on it, and remove it from storage whenever you want to use it. If you just want to go sailing on a yacht sometimes it’s probably easier to rent or borrow one.

And re. houses, sure, but that goes without saying.