Hybrid View

TIM
    LII-C
    Mentioned
    279 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WinnieW View Post
    Yeah, I agree with you. She is already typed here in an other thread. So... double confirmation.
    I would like to browse through this thread but every page takes an eternity to load because of all the videos...

TIM
    alpha NT
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by soundofconfusion View Post
    I would like to browse through this thread but every page takes an eternity to load because of all the videos...
    Yeah, same for me, the vast number of embedded video clips result in high CPU usage and huge RAM consumption on our PCs.

And this board seems to run on server hardware components that are from last decade.
    Ok, that's just my impression...

Seed my wickedness The Reality Denialist's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    357 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

And this board seems to run on server hardware components that are from last decade.
    Ok, that's just my impression...
    Ah overclocked my raspberry Pi 4: at 2 GHz CPU and 620 MHz GPU (+ huge aluminium heat sink case and 12 V DC old PC case fan) @15 W it seems to be capable and network seems to be the largest bottleneck.
    MOTTO: NEVER TRUST IN REALITY
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type
    Life is a joke but do you have a life?

Joinif you dare https://matrix.to/#/#The16Types:matrix.org

TIM
    alpha NT
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Heretic 007 View Post
    Ah overclocked my raspberry Pi 4: at 2 GHz CPU and 620 MHz GPU (+ huge aluminium heat sink case and 12 V DC old PC case fan) @15 W it seems to be capable and network seems to be the largest bottleneck.
    Let me guess, without the video I posted about the Raspberry Pi 4 a few weeks ago you'd never come up with that idea.

The main problem with a Raspberry Pi as web server isn't the CPU, the bottlenecks for that specific application are insufficient RAM size and slow I/O data transfer to the media the OS is running from & the swap partition.

...and now please... back to the main track again.

TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    357 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Let me guess, without the video I posted about the Raspberry Pi 4 a few weeks ago you'd never come up with that idea.

The main problem with a Raspberry Pi as web server isn't the CPU, the bottlenecks for that specific application are insufficient RAM size and slow I/O data transfer to the media the OS is running from & the swap partition.
    Nah. I was already looking for it past couple of years. This one just gave proper reason to put my Banana Pi to rest.
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type

TIM
    LII-C
    Mentioned
    279 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

both are LII, and both share a similar mindset, making access to knowledge free for everyone.

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    558 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does it run on an SD card or an external drive? I have a Pi Zero running on an SD card, and I wonder how long the card will last.

TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    357 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FreelancePoliceman View Post
    Does it run on an SD card or an external drive? I have a Pi Zero running on an SD card, and I wonder how long the card will last.
    It's /boot is on SD card and rest of it is on M.2 via USB3 (just be aware that Rpi 4 has its own software performance kinks and does not have VP9 or AV1 hardware decoding but if can you live with those). However I have successfully run Linux from SD card using x86 laptop in work setting about 0.5 year (and it is now inside my phone and still OK). Sometimes apt got stuck and I had to reboot.
    SD Cards's are not very expensive and you can make backup images.

But corruption might happen and I have definitely seen it happen in few pen drives around 700 bulk. Depends on luck and quality, I guess.
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type

TIM
    alpha NT
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's /boot is on SD card and rest of it is on M.2 via USB3 (just be aware that Rpi 4 has its own software performance kinks and does not have VP9 or AV1 hardware decoding but if can you live with those).
    Ok, we are off-topic and that discussion deserves an own thread...

The development of proper software that unlocks all features of the Raspberry Pi is delayed. So there are some features planned by still not realized to date.
    Booting and runnung the OS from an USB storage device is such a feature.
    The Pi 4 features a faster SD card interface which doubles the data transfer rate compared to the previous models.
    But you'll need a higher speed class of SD card (UHS-I Class 3) to benefit form that.

Another point is the GPU and the supported video codecs. No devices up to date supports AV1 decoding implemented in hardware.
    I guess we'll have the wait for Pi 5 for that feature.

I've read an article in the German magazin for computer science and the experts claim that the Pi4 has a build in hardware video decoder for VP9, but it's not usable right now because software support for it is missing right now.
    According to the said experts, the Pi4 is capable of both hardware accelerated encoding and decoding of H.264 and H.265, as well as JPEG,
    and VP9 decoding only.