Quote Originally Posted by Megan.
Kim

I thought the individual might be depressed at first but on when I spoke to the person in question about this they almost convinced me otherwise. What if the person just sees life as like being on a slow moving train heading towards death and decay(my analogy). I suppose you can look out the window at the scenery and create some meaning out of it all. On the other hand you could just bypass all the joys, sorrows and other experiences along the way, save yourself the hassle, the joys are rather fleeting and meaningless anyway, and get off at the next stop so to speak. I am not saying I see things this way myself but I understand that perspective.

I hate to admit it but my morals are somewhat unconventional and I do not really know why anyone else would really prefer living to death. I want to live because I am curious about how my life will progress and the experiences I will create. This person did not buy into the curiousity/creativity angle as a good reason for wanting to live so I do not know what other reason to give.
Sounds like this person feels like an outside observer in life. In other words, alienated. If someone does not feel a part of and sees no way of becoming a part of, they see no point.

In a weird way, feeling or being at the outskirts, is being a part of. That's the person's part. There are always people playing this part. In the distant view, the person on the outside is still a part of.

The thing the person may not like is feeling like they don't have a choice, either because of their perception that others won't let them in to the mainstream or because they feel that they don't have the skills to get into and adequately adjust to the mainstream. Everybody has choices though, even if they can't see them.

We need to find ways of seeing that everyone is a part of, even people who don't feel a part of. Incorporating the point of view of people who don't feel a part of is key in our evolutionary process, for it is they who truly drive innovation and change.

EDIT/ More precisely, when we listen to people who don't feel a part of, they draw our attention and help us to reflect on the nature of our process, because they stand at the fringes and can see us more clearly than we can see ourselves.