Thread: Satanism and IEIs/INFps

Exits, pursued by a bear. Animal's Avatar
    TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't understand anything in this thread, except for maybe ifmd95's posts with which I agree.

@ the OP: Go get some sunlight and exercise, some good food, some good music, wank some, and then play around with Satanism (which is mostly just black humor, anyway) if you still want to bother with it.
    "How could we forget those ancient myths that stand at the beginning of all races, the myths about dragons that at the last moment are transformed into princesses? Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
    -- Rainer Maria Rilke, Letters to a Young Poet

Creepy-bg

well that was unexpected... I wonder if Dees on drugs or something. He seems to have a short fuse. He's probably a mormon.

Creepy-bg

Quote Originally Posted by Baby
    I don't understand anything in this thread, except for maybe ifmd95's posts with which I agree.

@ the OP: Go get some sunlight and exercise, some good food, some good music, wank some, and then play around with Satanism (which is mostly just black humor, anyway) if you still want to bother with it.
    +2

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    507 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by So Crazy
    Well, im glad this didn't get closed yet...at first i thought people were gonna flip. I been living through it past few days, Im def more confident.. I always knew there was an evil side t me...the world is screwed up you might as well have fun and not give a fuck.
    How evil are you on a scale of 0-10? I think you should make a plan to get your life on track, and become less evil .

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Satanism and the INFP

Quote Originally Posted by So Crazy
    Im keepin it real right now...

Im kinda feelin the whole concept.

Have you ever been to a third world country? Congo, Zambia, etc? A really poor part of China, or Russia?

If you want to find this Satan you're talking about, go there, and then report back. (Particularly some places in Africa)

Turning crosses upside down and boosting your ego by talking about self indulgence isn't really that different than turning the right side up and preaching about righteousness.
    Posts I wrote in the past contain less nuance.
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~an extraverted consciousness is unable to believe in invisible forces.
    ~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think that was a rather self-righteous post in itself.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Satanism and the INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Courage
    Have you ever been to a third world country? Congo, Zambia, etc? A really poor part of China, or Russia?

If you want to find this Satan you're talking about, go there, and then report back. (Particularly some places in Africa)

Turning crosses upside down and boosting your ego by talking about self indulgence isn't really that different than turning the right side up and preaching about righteousness.
    Satan's right here girl... right here...

IEI - the nasty kind...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LOL!

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i didn't read this whole thread but i feel compelled to comment on this issue.

i spent about ten years exploring the dark side; by this i mean learning about the dark side, not necessarily believing in it. i studied astrology, runes, fortune telling. i read every anne rice book. i worked in a forensic mental health unit with sex offenders, domestic violence offenders, and other violent offenders, women who neglected their children. i watched justice files. after actually working with these people, who are deeply disturbed, i could no longer watch anything on television remotely connected to the forensic world because it would actually make me sick to my stomach. i developed what is called secondary trauma reaction from hearing the stories of offenders. i started to isolate, feel a huge responsibility for doing something about all the violence, feeling that no one understood and nor did i want to share my experiences with anyone for fear of transmitting the negativity and violence to another person. at the time that i did this work i was not a christian, and my spirituality was not strong by any means.

my conclusion: the dark side, although intrinsically fascinating, and having its own logic, standards and rules, is nowhere. anything "satanic" is only a stepping stone on the way to true evil and violence.

it is helpful to become aware of and embrace one's own dark side, but the important thing is to not get sucked into it and to look toward the light. do whatever you can to look towards the light and move towards the light. christianity and any religion really helps us to understand our humanity and to make steps towards transcending it. we are certainly flawed enough without having to make ourselves even more flawed through practices which support self centeredness and negative use of power. satanism takes our humanity and tries to take us toward even baser levels. i'm telling you, this is for real i'm not being melodramatic.

we are not meant to know the future...we are meant to trust in something higher than ourselves.

i'm picking up on your depression....satantism will seduce you into believing that you can transcend your depression by becoming powerful in a way which is destructive. this is not the way out, only the way to self delusion.

make an honest assessment of the religion you were raised with. open yourself to light no darkness. good luck.

ILE

those who are easily shocked.....should be shocked more often

Creepy-bg

Quote Originally Posted by Blaze

i spent about ten years exploring the dark side; by this i mean learning about the dark side, not necessarily believing in it. i studied astrology, runes, fortune telling. i read every anne rice book. i worked in a forensic mental health unit with sex offenders, domestic violence offenders, and other violent offenders, women who neglected their children. i watched justice files. after actually working with these people, who are deeply disturbed, i could no longer watch anything on television remotely connected to the forensic world because it would actually make me sick to my stomach. i developed what is called secondary trauma reaction from hearing the stories of offenders. i started to isolate, feel a huge responsibility for doing something about all the violence, feeling that no one understood and nor did i want to share my experiences with anyone for fear of transmitting the negativity and violence to another person. at the time that i did this work i was not a christian, and my spirituality was not strong by any means.

my conclusion: the dark side, although intrinsically fascinating, and having its own logic, standards and rules, is nowhere. anything "satanic" is only a stepping stone on the way to true evil and violence.

it is helpful to become aware of and embrace one's own dark side, but the important thing is to not get sucked into it and to look toward the light. do whatever you can to look towards the light and move towards the light. christianity and any religion really helps us to understand our humanity and to make steps towards transcending it. we are certainly flawed enough without having to make ourselves even more flawed through practices which support self centeredness and negative use of power. satanism takes our humanity and tries to take us toward even baser levels. i'm telling you, this is for real i'm not being melodramatic.

we are not meant to know the future...we are meant to trust in something higher than ourselves.

i'm picking up on your depression....satantism will seduce you into believing that you can transcend your depression by becoming powerful in a way which is destructive. this is not the way out, only the way to self delusion.

make an honest assessment of the religion you were raised with. open yourself to light no darkness. good luck.
    + a bunch (sorry to hear about that secondary trauma thing Blaze, it sounds shitty but at least shows a great deal of empathy on your part)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i spent about ten years exploring the dark side; by this i mean learning about the dark side, not necessarily believing in it. i studied astrology, runes, fortune telling. i read every anne rice book.
    Dark side? I don't see any of those things as the "dark side". I see divination as helpful to some, perhaps not to all. None of these sources are indicative of the devil or evil in any way, nor are they incompatible with a belief in something beyond the Self. In fact, if used correctly, astrology, tarot and runes can open the conscious mind to valuable personal insight and growth.

Also, I have found that divination isn't really about knowing the future. It's about understanding the present.

I do find that trusting the Higher purpose is indeed the goal, but I'm unwilling to prescribe it for all. And certainly not recommending any one way. There are many roads to the same goal.
    socio: INFp - IEI
    ennea: 4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Twain
    Only kings, presidents, editors, and people with tapeworms have the right to use the editorial 'we'.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Posted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:58 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blaze wrote:

i spent about ten years exploring the dark side; by this i mean learning about the dark side, not necessarily believing in it. i studied astrology, runes, fortune telling. i read every anne rice book.

Dark side? I don't see any of those things as the "dark side". I see divination as helpful to some, perhaps not to all. None of these sources are indicative of the devil or evil in any way, nor are they incompatible with a belief in something beyond the Self. In fact, if used correctly, astrology, tarot and runes can open the conscious mind to valuable personal insight and growth.
    i do see these things as being the first step toward the dark side. but i'm a christian. i do not believe we are intended to know the future. all this kind of stuff is just leftover hocus pocus from pre-christian and pagan times. IMO.

+ a bunch (sorry to hear about that secondary trauma thing Blaze, it sounds shitty but at least shows a great deal of empathy on your part)
    thanks bionic. it was kinda shitty at the time, but ultimately a strengthening experience. it certainly helped to delineate the continuum of evil. unfortunately, at the time i do not think i was spiritually strong enough to have been of much help to these individuals. i recently had an opportunity to do this kind of work again, and despite my stronger spirituality, i still do not think that i am spiritually strong enough to do the work again. :-)

ILE

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aka-kitsune

i do see these things as being the first step toward the dark side. but i'm a christian. i do not believe we are intended to know the future. all this kind of stuff is just leftover hocus pocus from pre-christian and pagan times. IMO.
    Apparently, you didn't really read my entire post.

I actually was raised Catholic, but I was never really a "believer". The Christian attitude that divination is a "gateway drug" to the Devil is really beyond my comprehension. In my more cynical moods, I would say that's merely the Christian hierarchy's way of preventing anyone from thinking for themselves or making their own decisions. "God makes those decisions so you don't have to."

I am certainly happy for anyone who finds succor and comfort in religious belief in the way that you obviously have, but I bridle against the denigration of MY beliefs as just "hocus pocus". I'm sorrry, but I really find that very judgemental. And IMO, one of the things I find infinitely annoying about the typical Christian closed-mindset.

Only kings, presidents, editors, and people with tapeworms have the right to use the editorial 'we'.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well i certainly didn't mean to offend...i was not clear that these were your strong beliefs. i apologize for the use of the words hocus pocus. you are right i was responding to only one part of your post and missed the piece about understanding current reality.

and again, this is my opinion and understanding after having explored all this from a totally practical and hands-on approach with real people, in real situations and through reading and contemplation of a lot of different viewpoints. i see a clear continuum of evil, sorry. there is a thread that runs through all evil and people get there by taking small steps, by making minute concessions over time, and it is easy for any of us to find ourselves on the dark side. it is a process that is remarkably similar to that of addiction. one does not become entrenched in evil overnight. perhaps you are one who can stay in the shallows of this without consequence. for myself, i cannot.

and perhaps i can revise my position a little: for me, divination, the occult, fortune telling and the like interfere with my spiritual practice of christianity. i find these practices to be at odds with christian beliefs and i have found much more peace with christianity than with any of these practices. so for myself christianity is the truth, the way and the light.

i don't abdicate my free will in my spiritual practice. i believe that God created us to have free will. we are free to choose his way or not. i do believe that God knows how everything will play out; his awareness is all at once on the past present and future. so, God places me on a path, and i am driving the car and making the choices.

ILE

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well i certainly didn't mean to offend...i was not clear that these were your strong beliefs. i apologize for the use of the words hocus pocus. you are right i was responding to only one part of your post and missed the piece about understanding current reality.
    My "belief" here, is that divination is a valid and valuable form of insight. Even for the "Will of God" if that's what you believe is communicated to you. For me, it's the I Ching that provides this clarity. Tarot and astrology are interesting from a psychological and intuitive pov, but they are often inaccessible to me to use as clear and direct comment on my current situation. For others I know, they're pretty reliable and helpful.

and again, this is my opinion and understanding after having explored all this from a totally practical and hands-on approach with real people, in real situations and through reading and contemplation of a lot of different viewpoints. i see a clear continuum of evil, sorry. there is a thread that runs through all evil and people get there by taking small steps, by making minute concessions over time, and it is easy for any of us to find ourselves on the dark side. it is a process that is remarkably similar to that of addiction. one does not become entrenched in evil overnight.
    Again, I don't believe in divination being a part of a "continuum of evil". Perhaps there may be people who would use, say astrology, to order their life "religiously" and hence ignore the aspect of any potential Divine influence. But I don't see that as evil, just quite misguided. Divination is only a tool and doesn't have any inherent "evil" to it.

Yes, I have often heard the "road to Hell being paved...". I guess what I consider the "dark side" is just ignorance and ego. Investing in ego-driven activities isn't really going to be satisfying in the long run, but I hesitate to give any label. I don't really believe that emphasizing dualities like "good vs. evil" really accomplish much other than alienating and isolating you to one side or the other. I found M. Scott Peck's book "People of the Lie" interesting in the way he illustrated the effects of selfishness. However, I did nonetheless find the undercurrent of duality to be difficult to stomach at times.

I guess I can sort of see the analogy to addiction -- people can certainly become dependent on having simple "answers" to their problems. They usually want to take a short cut to avoid having to go through uncertainty and difficulty. Our society often seems to emphasize the "easy" way, like a pill, a miracle diet, or plastic surgery to fix what you don't like about yourself. Self acceptance isn't really in fashion.

perhaps you are one who can stay in the shallows of this without consequence. for myself, i cannot.
    Once again, I don't really see divination as a question of "shallows" (makes it sound too much to me like the Evil Baby Pool).

and perhaps i can revise my position a little: for me, divination, the occult, fortune telling and the like interfere with my spiritual practice of christianity. i find these practices to be at odds with christian beliefs and i have found much more peace with christianity than with any of these practices. so for myself christianity is the truth, the way and the light.
    I can understand that. You want to focus where you find peace. I find peace with insight that I receive from my practice of the I Ching. But I also have no trouble with the concept that "God" or however you choose to name your universal intelligence would choose to speak through a divining method. Why would he/she/it not choose to travel all avenues to your heart/mind??

i don't abdicate my free will in my spiritual practice. i believe that God created us to have free will. we are free to choose his way or not. i do believe that God knows how everything will play out; his awareness is all at once on the past present and future. so, God places me on a path, and i am driving the car and making the choices.
    I'd not agree with the obvious fatherly anthropomorphic connotation of Higher Power omniscience, but I do try to always find purpose and meaning in what I experience. I actually find it more helpful to think of "god" as genderless, impartial and transpersonal. Beyond the limitations of human "dual" thinking. I am not "judged" for veering off the path, and also accepted back without reproach.

It is solely my openness, humility and receptivity that govern any help from the invisible.

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Inside myself there are shadows and there is light. I have always been rather troubled about the shadows. At one point I did decide to sort of go with the shadows and explore them, and I found that I started creating more shadows by doing this. On the other hand when I spent time in the light, exploring the light, I started creating more light. We create our shadows and our light. What we choose to reside in can become who we are. Darkness is only as powerful as we allow it to be... if we give it every power, it will rule us. By fearing darkness, or thinking of it as powerful, we make it "real." I think the best way to go is to go with the light... in whatever way we find helps us do that (so in this sense I may agree with Blaze). I do not [s:a6e4dd127c]agree[/s:a6e4dd127c] believe that Christianity is the only way to accomplish this however, nor do I think that belonging to a religion (such as Christianity) will guarantee its accomplishment.

To sort of sum up my statement, I found that the more I worried over my darkness, and felt that I was "bad" or "wrong," the more I fed the negative energy that creates darkness, and the darker I became. We have to channel our thoughts in a positive direction if we want positive results.

Edit: this could seem to imply that I think Blaze was making a claim that Christianity is the only way, and that is not what I meant... I think that she(?) was mostly focusing on it being the way for her.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the gender of God is not as much of an issue for me. how can we really know if God even has a gender? if i had to hazard a guess, i'd say God could be both male and female since we are created in his image.

on divination: it is a phenomenon. one that is not yet well understood. God does speak in many different ways to many different people, so it could be God speaking in some cases. i don't know.

i agree that the Tarot and astrology are interesting from a psychological perspective. if we call it psychology then it is more man made and scientific in a sense. these things may not answer the questions of Who and Why but they may answer the questions of What and How.

i think my use of the word evil may be a little inflammatory and i don't really mean to be.
    from dictionary.com:

e·vil –adjective
    1. morally wrong or bad; immoral; wicked: evil deeds; an evil life.
    2. harmful; injurious: evil laws.
    3. characterized or accompanied by misfortune or suffering; unfortunate; disastrous: to be fallen on evil days.
    4. due to actual or imputed bad conduct or character: an evil reputation.
    5. marked by anger, irritability, irascibility, etc.: He is known for his evil disposition.
    –noun 6. that which is evil; evil quality, intention, or conduct: to choose the lesser of two evils.
    7. the force in nature that governs and gives rise to wickedness and sin.
    8. the wicked or immoral part of someone or something: The evil in his nature has destroyed the good.
    9. harm; mischief; misfortune: to wish one evil.
    10. anything causing injury or harm: Tobacco is considered by some to be an evil.
    11. a harmful aspect, effect, or consequence: the evils of alcohol.
    12. a disease, as king's evil.
    –adverb

there's really quite a lot of interpretations.

but to use an addiction example:

one slowly becomes addicted over time by a sequence of steps. the first step, to try, say, cannabis, seems innocuous enough. one can reason that a lot of people do it, it's not that bad, you'll probably not get addicted. yet if one experiences a positive experience, it is likely they will do it again and find further reinforcement. the use of an illegal drug sets in the person's mind that the concept of legal-illegal may be relative. so the person is in a positive to give themselves permission to question this, and hence to try other drugs which are more dangerous and illegal. it's a process of antecedant, behavior, consequence, thought, which can begin to drive a vicious cycle.

so evil can be the same way. we are inherently flawed as human beings. in a way, socionics proves this, since we cannot have all the functions leading in our ego block....we are flawed and have a superego block, lol. because we are flawed, we contantly convince ourselves that certain actions and behaviors are ok. now this is not to say that all who choose to explore the occult are on an inexorable path to evil, but rather to say that some people begin there, which is a place that warned about by the Bible. and some of those people will travel to and begin to live in a space of evil.

it's kind of like a risk, i think. like you could try smoking weed and not have a problem and never return to it. or you could begin a life of addiction as started by that one small step and with a long series of other small steps which follow this initial step. and some of us have to travel these roads for some reason.

i'm simply saying that for myself, i've been down those paths, rather thoroughly i might add, and am extremely lucky to have come back to a place of peace and understanding with God.

do i believe there are many paths? absolutely! if the I Ching is your path, more power to you. your openness, etc are the things that are somewhat under your control, the things that you have some choice about. sometimes though it is hard to know how open one is truly being! like i could think that i'm being open when i'm really only being open to a point. when i think i'm humble i may be in some respects but you can be sure that in my humanity, i will abandon humility for pride at many points. this is the human condition.

i just don't think that many positive answers can truly be found in the occult.

ILE

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the gender of God is not as much of an issue for me. how can we really know if God even has a gender? if i had to hazard a guess, i'd say God could be both male and female since we are created in his image.
    Mystic Judaism (Kabala) holds this to be true, actually. Patriarchal elements of Judaism (and later Christianity) have removed the references to the female aspect of "god". There's some interesting historical aspects pertaining to the conversion of human societies from nomadic/animist to agrarian/monotheist.

I personally like the idea of goddess/god as two aspects of single entity.

on divination: it is a phenomenon. one that is not yet well understood. God does speak in many different ways to many different people, so it could be God speaking in some cases. i don't know.
    Or maybe always, but it depends if you're actually listening well enough. :wink:

i agree that the Tarot and astrology are interesting from a psychological perspective. if we call it psychology then it is more man made and scientific in a sense. these things may not answer the questions of Who and Why but they may answer the questions of What and How.
    I note that Tarot and astrology can make "unconscious" content accessible to the conscious mind, in the same way that dream analysis can. Jungian archetypes, collective unconscious, anima/animus, etc.

i think my use of the word evil may be a little inflammatory and i don't really mean to be.
    "Evil" is necessarily always a moral judgement. There is no objective evil.

but to use an addiction example:

one slowly becomes addicted over time by a sequence of steps. the first step, to try, say, cannabis, seems innocuous enough. one can reason that a lot of people do it, it's not that bad, you'll probably not get addicted. yet if one experiences a positive experience, it is likely they will do it again and find further reinforcement. the use of an illegal drug sets in the person's mind that the concept of legal-illegal may be relative. so the person is in a positive to give themselves permission to question this, and hence to try other drugs which are more dangerous and illegal. it's a process of antecedant, behavior, consequence, thought, which can begin to drive a vicious cycle.
    I agree, with regard to some people -- especially those with highly addictive and compulsive elements to their personalities. Use is different from dependence and subsequently from abuse. I've never smoked pot -- never done recreational drugs. I really don't see the point for me personally. And I believe I'd find the experience more disturbing than helpful.

so evil can be the same way. we are inherently flawed as human beings. in a way, socionics proves this, since we cannot have all the functions leading in our ego block....we are flawed and have a superego block, lol. because we are flawed, we contantly convince ourselves that certain actions and behaviors are ok.
    I can accept "flawed", but not "originally sinful". Flawed doesn't imply judgement. I don't feel the need to atone for something I didn't originally do. And just because a theoretical progenitor did, why should I be held responsible generations later?? Seems awfully punitive and vengeful. I cannot believe in a vengeful and spiteful god-being.

now this is not to say that all who choose to explore the occult are on an inexorable path to evil, but rather to say that some people begin there, which is a place that warned about by the Bible. and some of those people will travel to and begin to live in a space of evil.
    Where in the Bible? Old Testament or New? Old Testament is full of outmoded and outdated strictures that only had real relevance for ancient Hebrews. Again, it seems to me like many Christians pick and choose what's valid in Scriptures as they see fit. Do you agree with all of the Bible's precautions then?

it's kind of like a risk, i think. like you could try smoking weed and not have a problem and never return to it. or you could begin a life of addiction as started by that one small step and with a long series of other small steps which follow this initial step. and some of us have to travel these roads for some reason.

i'm simply saying that for myself, i've been down those paths, rather thoroughly i might add, and am extremely lucky to have come back to a place of peace and understanding with God.
    Certainly understandable. I haven't been down those paths, but I've had my own struggle with abysses of self-doubt and feelings of unworthiness.

i just don't think that many positive answers can truly be found in the occult.
    "Positive answers"... again, a judgement call. But, you are convinced, so I won't try to change your mind.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well then we actually agree more than we disagree.

on the Bible: i would never hold myself up as an expert on the Bible, only that i know that the Bible has warnings which make sense even today. i'd have to search for the answer to the question you are asking.

it does sound as though you've had your own experiences with self doubt although you don't directly describe them. what's most important here is spiritual questing and exploration. i believe that putting one's energy into the quest is what will get ya there in the end, :wink:

divination: no, i'm not listening. lol i listen to other things and in other ways.

i'm not in agreement that the Bible is outmoded....this has not been proven without a doubt. there is still quite a lot of speculation and debate on this topic. one thing i will say though is that the ancients knew what they were doing a lot better than we give them credit for. sometimes i think despite all our "advances" and "technology" we are actually doing worse. we are certainly more comfortable than previous generations....is this always better though? and if so, better for who?

wiki link on evil:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evil

just to mix it up a little more.....

ILE

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the gender of God is not as much of an issue for me. how can we really know if God even has a gender?
    I'm not sure if I heard this from someone IRL or did I read it on this forum but the argument was something like "Genders are fundamentally linked to reproduction. God doesn't reproduce. Thus God has no gender".

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    507 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

According to the Bible, man was created in the image of God, therefore God must have a belly button etc.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Subterranean
    According to the Bible, man was created in the image of God, therefore God must have a belly button etc.
    Belly buttons are also linked to reproduction though. Then if I would make an image of you I wouldn't put a belly button in that image. It is not cloning.

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    507 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by XoX
    Belly buttons are also linked to reproduction though. Then if I would make an image of you I wouldn't put a belly button in that image. It is not cloning.
    Eyes are linked to sight, stomachs are linked to food - but what use would God have for those in the time when there was absolutely nothing?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not sure the term "image" should be taken literally. Especially when the Bible has gone through umpteen translations. That's ultimately why I think literal interpretation of biblical content is specious.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Eyes are linked to sight, stomachs are linked to food - but what use would God have for those in the time when there was absolutely nothing?
    This makes one wonder what does "image" mean in that kind of context.

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    507 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

The Bible says that anyone who has seen Jesus has seen the Father...so presumably, they look identical.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The bible says that anyone who has seen Jesus has seen the Father...so presumably, they look identical.
    Such an interpretation doesn't seem very likely.

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    507 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Such an interpretation doesn't seem very likely.
    John 14
    Philip said, "Lord, show us the Father and that will be enough for us."

Jesus answered: "Don't you know me, Philip, even after I have been among you such a long time? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, 'Show us the Father'? Don't you believe that I am in the Father, and that the Father is in me? The words I say to you are not just my own. Rather, it is the Father, living in me, who is doing his work. Believe me when I say that I am in the Father and the Father is in me; or at least believe on the evidence of the miracles themselves. I tell you the truth, anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing. He will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father. And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Son may bring glory to the Father. You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it.

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    507 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

i'm not in agreement that the Bible is outmoded....this has not been proven without a doubt. there is still quite a lot of speculation and debate on this topic. one thing i will say though is that the ancients knew what they were doing a lot better than we give them credit for. sometimes i think despite all our "advances" and "technology" we are actually doing worse. we are certainly more comfortable than previous generations....is this always better though? and if so, better for who?
    The factual accuracy of the Bible is extremely low - as a source of morals, the Bible is extremely savage.

For example, in one part of the Bible, it says 'Punish the father for the sins of the child' - which is blatantly abhorrent. In another part of the Bible, it says 'Punish the child for the sins of the father' - which is even more abhorrent, and also contradictory. And yet, it is God that gives this advice. Also, if a son (not a daughter) has misbehaved - the father only needs to go to the elders and give testimony, and he is given permission to stone his child to death ! I thought this was bad when I was seven...and I still do.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that's right Subby... embrace your dark side... join us in the nether regions of the cosmos... grab your pitchfork... do hand signs... stone little children... it's all good...

IEI - the nasty kind...

Creepy-bg

reading this thread reminds me that I have to take a shit

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The factual accuracy of the Bible is extremely low - as a source of morals, the Bible is extremely savage.

For example, in one part of the Bible, it says 'Punish the father for the sins of the child' - which is blatantly abhorrent. In another part of the Bible, it says 'Punish the child for the sins of the father' - which is even more abhorrent, and also contradictory. And yet, it is God that gives this advice. Also, if a son (not a daughter) has misbehaved - the father only needs to go to the elders and give testimony, and he is given permission to stone his child to death ! I thought this was bad when I was seven...and I still do.
    i think what the Bible is getting at here is the responsibility we all have for one another. at least that's the message that i would apply to my life today.

but i'm not trying to be an apologist for christianity since that will most assuredly fail.

what does seem worthwhile is looking to see what evil exists and how it gets to be that way and also to redefine our conception of evil.

ILE

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bionicgoat
    reading this thread reminds me that I have to take a shit
    everything come out all right??!! lol

ILE

Creepy-bg

I don't believe in evil.
    my mom's like that... devout Catholic (like she goes to mass everyday) but she doesn't believe in hell or the devil... just 'silliness'

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't believe in evil.
    huh. well that's interesting. go visit a prison and talk to some of them and see what you believe then.

ILE

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    507 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

The word 'evil' seems to refer to an intrinsic part of an 'evil' person's nature - if you say someone is evil, you make it seem they are uncapable of changing and uncapable being forgiven. I don't think any mortal 'crime' (however some person defines it) can be considered evil - people are short-sighted, and don't commit crime for the higher purpose of 'evilness' - they do it solely for their own benefit.

Are 'evil' people irremediably evil? If not, how they can be definitively be evil? If they are, then you can't blame them for it - they were destined to be evil - it isn't evil for its own sake - it is instead something which would have happened regardless of other people's actions.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The word 'evil' seems to refer to an intrinsic part of an 'evil' person's nature - if you say someone is evil, you make it seem they are uncapable of changing and uncapable being forgiven. I don't think any mortal 'crime' (however some person defines it) can be considered evil - people are short-sighted, and don't commit crime for the higher purpose of 'evilness' - they do it solely for their own benefit.

Are 'evil' people irremediably evil? If not, how they can be definitively be evil? If they are, then you can't blame them for it - they were destined to be evil - it isn't evil for its own sake - it is instead something which would have happened regardless of other people's actions.
    no all human beings have original sin, or are inherently flawed. sinning is what leads to being entrapped by evil. evil is always there waiting to tempt us. the Bible emphasizes the need to have the truth inside us....the truth is what fends off evil i think and keeps us strong. evil is kind of like always trying to seduce us with promises of power and prestige...yet when we are seduced by this, we end up actually being powerless and ashamed. so it's like a paradox.

think of your good old fashioned cartoon villain. typically he has this terrible childhood and yet has this inner part that want to do good. we connect to this vulnerable inner child and we want to trust him and help him. but his bad side always overwhelms this part of him. while he may have some power in a sense, the things he does, and the people he associates with who are the type that are inclined towards power and to be drawn to him, they always betray him and his actions are self defeating. so he has a temporary illusion of power.

but true power comes through weakness and submission. admitting when you are wrong and making amends for that. forgiving others for their sins and flaws. getting your strength through God or your higher power or remembering the sacrifice of Jesus Christ on our behalf.

i know you probably don't want to hear about Jesus. it's verboten to say his name. somehow Jesus Christ has become like Voldemort. riddle me that batman.

people are evidently not incapable of changing. but change will be much more difficult for some than for others, depending upon how entrapped one has become. we live in a wicked world. consider these examples of wickedness and greed:

Enron robbing their employees of their retirements whilst executives made off with all the cash.

Acts of terrorism. Bin Laden is like the ultimate cartoon villain.

Mass killings at Columbine High School by ridiculed youths.

these are US examples but i'm sure you can think of many in the UK.

this is not to say that all is evil in the world, there are many wonderful creative things. God has created them and man has created them. in this way we are created in God's own image.

but true evil is truly very very close to good. at times it is almost impossible to tell the difference.

ILE

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast