Quote Originally Posted by discojoe View Post
Her children should stab her in the neck with pencils. I bet she didn't foresee that one.
The manifestation of ESI functions, depends on how they see themselves according to their base Fi. I think ESIs are confusing because of this, since you have to work out how they see themselves first. They can easily appear like another type until you work out whether the observed behaviour is type-related, or an ESI identifying with that role/self-image. But if an ESI mother decides that a good mother cares for her kids' nutrition, then that is what manifests as nutritionally controlling. If it's something else, then that's what it appears as. (Note: I use "controlling" because I'm Se PoLR and that's how I perceive it. LSIs and ESIs probably just see it as being effective in pushing people under their care to achieve things that are 'good for them' - direct acquisition of the goal is preferred, i.e. compliance, rather than indirect such as misdirection or cultivating desire or inspiration). I think that part is Se Creative, though, not the Ne PoLR.

But yes, any number of things that they don't already like, they will be determined not to like - but actually, many of the supposed reasons for not doing them are rationalisations and not really the reason, IMO. Because convincingly removing the reason, does not change the opinion; it boils down to, I won't like it and so won't try it. Nicer ESIs won't impede you from trying yourself, but it's still not as fun if you can't share the experience with them. One way ESIs can manage, is if they decide that a role they identify with, requires them to be fun. I know one such example, a manager in a department that values innovation. Then she will try to sample novelty - she will even believe that she values ideas, when everyone in her team and adjacent teams would disagree. Anyway it doesn't work as well as it would for an Ne valuer, but at least they avoid ending up as wet blankets. For ESIs I note so far that a lot rides on what their Fi tells them about who they are. It's a really strong motivator for them; they really believe it to the exclusion of all else.