Thread: Discusion of Ne PoLR in ISFjs and ISTjs

Hybrid View

TIM
    ENTj 3w4 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Ne is about seeing similarities of properties between objects. Like, when you look at an object you see how it can be like something similar. I'd also like to think Ne types are good at seeing alternative scenarios.

It's opposite of Se in that Se sees things as they are while Ne sees how it could be like something else.

Ne PoLR tends to result in problems seeing alternative scenarios. ESI might see someone being rude and become enraged. They might fail to see that the situation was different than they thought. XSI are quick to see how someone is wrong, but may fail to see beyond the apparent situation.

This is my take on it.
    3w4-5w6-9w8

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Azeroffs View Post
    Ne PoLR tends to result in problems seeing alternative scenarios. ESI might see someone being rude and become enraged. They might fail to see that the situation was different than they thought. XSI are quick to see how someone is wrong, but may fail to see beyond the apparent situation.

This is my take on it.
    If I were in that situation I would just focus on the fact that they were rude, and then ask if anything had been bothering them. There would be many thoughts about why the person was rude, but I wouldn't trust them as a complete answer. I'd rather have them just tell me in that situation rather than leave me to speculate.

As for failing to see how situations may differ... I know that they can differ but I usually trust what can happen in the here and now. If something differing is important to consider then I'd ask someone who was more informed on it than I, or if I had to speculate then I'd create a lot of situations in my head and be paranoid about them happening until what I was predicting could happen actually happens. Again, wanting to see for myself rather than to be left to speculate.
    SEE-Fi 9w8 sx/sp

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is the thing, my ideas I get are only really flawed if I get abstract and expand beyond what we know that is tangible. If it's an idea about stuff that we know to be real or that is a factor that's laid out for me to expand on then I'm totally fine. See, I can't relate to being bad about getting ideas in general... it's just when you expand beyond what I know is when it gets a bit complicated (the thought usually doesn't even enter my head actually to expand beyond what I know).
    SEE-Fi 9w8 sx/sp

Sauron, The Great Enemy ArchonAlarion's Avatar
    TIM
    Yet to be determined
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Azeroffs View Post
    I think Ne is about seeing similarities of properties between objects. Like, when you look at an object you see how it can be like something similar. I'd also like to think Ne types are good at seeing alternative scenarios.

It's opposite of Se in that Se sees things as they are while Ne sees how it could be like something else.
    I don't mind that description actually. What Ne sees is the latent abstract pieces and components that make up something. There are infinite components and you can arrange them in infinite ways. Reminds me of legos.

So Ne-ers have a collection of these latent component bits and Se-ers have a collection of actual memory of visceral physical impressions.

Theres more to this with Ni/Si mixed in but yeah.
    The end is nigh

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    662 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I say Ni is just more individualistic than Ne. Ne-valuers just don't seem to understand my individuality all that well.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BulletsAndDoves View Post
    I say Ni is just more individualistic than Ne. Ne-valuers just don't seem to understand my individuality all that well.
    Uh... What? How can this relate to PoLR Ne or answer my question?
    SEE-Fi 9w8 sx/sp

TIM
    ILE/ENTp
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

-PoLR is like having a house with no windows or doors.
    Last edited by Timeless; 03-04-2011 at 07:06 AM. Reason: Turkey bacon.

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Ne, Se and some things about Ne-PoLR

The first section is focused on the interactions between Ne-Base types and Ne-PoLR. Skip to the second section for the information regarding Ne and Se.
    ---

One facet of Ne-Base vs Ne-PoLR is "the real thing" versus formality. They often come in conflict when the Ne-Base types become suspicious, because Se-Creative truly believes that suspicion has no real base except when it's confirmed, either by confession or proof. They value Ni, where, unlike Ne, either is possible but none is a path to pursue because both are probable - this perfectly matches their agenda. Ni and Se types generally don't take suspicions seriously, they believe that everyone, when he/she points the finger, is just making an allusion with no consequences until something is proven. For Ne-PoLRs, the situation when someone is guilty of something but he/she does not admit is a technically normal situation, usually nothing to do about it. If they feel threatened or need to take action, they don't usually follow the ambiguous clues that made them suspicious - they flatly reject things like "similar", "likely", "this appears to be" - but try to find something else to address the perpetrator (eg breaking some laws, moral stuff, whatever).

However, both Ne valuers are very different... when something points towards something else than "supposed to", even if slightly, they snap on the inconsistency, something "stinks". Now this smell is an absolute absurdity for Ne-PoLR (imagine someone lacking the sense of smell who needs to see the corpse to believe), while it's rather an absolute certainty for Ne-Base ("if it stinks, then certainly something is rotten!"). In the end a smell is a certainty, even if you're not sure that what caused it is actually the same thing with what you believe to have caused it, and even if someone else doesn't feel it. Ne-Base types distrust formal people, they mock people who try to present themselves as impeccable (which often Se-PoLRs do), the very fact that they try to appear neat is the reason for a suspicion ("why would someone try to do that if he had honest thoughts?").

Here I'd add a little detail, Ni types also believe that "each has a quirk", even more, IEIs, where Ni is paired with Fe, tend to hold close even more grave assumptions, like "each has a perversity" or a totally discrediting flaw. Where do they differ, why is this Ni actually good for Se and Ne its worst enemy? Because Ni is like a rule of thumb but based on it there's actually nothing to be done, it's just a guideline. In fact Ni always minimizes Ne, it's like "but everyone has potentially that problem" or "it may be or may not be", which even Ne Irrationals types employ (Ignoring) to balance their Base function, otherwise they may become paranoid in certain life circumstances. It's like a theater, everyone has a mask, everyone hides something, probably terrifying or extremely embarrassing, or the other way around - value, beautiful traits, etc. And they're probably right.

Ne, the Bodies Intuition, does not make such generalizations, actually. Ne does not work without a reason, without a clue, without *something* to base its assumptions on. But when it does, it becomes a path to follow, the premise of a problem. So, once suspected by an Ne-Base type, there's basically no way to make him/her forget it, unless they're clearly shown everything, unless there's total transparency. But this request for transparency is totally rejected by Se-Creatives, they find absurd/ridiculous/despicable/degrading any request to be accounted for what they call "nothing". Because they don't acknowledge these "clues", the action is for them a direct attack on their integrity.
    This information conflict doesn't restrict to the views on one another of people, but also when they try to communicate their views on other things.
    ---

Ne Irrationals create patterns in their mind, along their life, which then they use to recognize future things/events. For example, if the thief who robbed a bank once said "red one red" one minute before doing it, later if you hear someone in a bank saying "one green one" you will fucking jump on his back immediately. Actually will you? Here comes the dilemma of choosing between Ne and Se: is there any connection between what this guy said and the thief, or not? Because Ne is similarity and Se is identity, you have to choose between them everywhere, in any situation. Obviously, you have to choose what to think, the actions to take are more flexible, you may just get behind the guy, though because of that you may get shot, or whatever, you figure this out.

All people use Ne and Se. You may look at them as "similarity is an incomplete identity" (necessary) or "identity is an complete similarity" (contingent, we can never be sure whether something is exactly something else based on experience). The necessity of acknowledgment of the similarity makes it become "the real thing" in types/people, while the contingency of the statements "these two things are completely the same" or "this thing is this kind" make the conclusion being rather formal, conventional - not necessarily true, but definitely used as it is.
    - Se is used only on the objects you already know: "this is an apple". An actual apple.
    - Ne is used only on objects you don't already know: "this is like an apple". A fruit you don't know.
    When and if they are used otherwise, they're incorrectly used so, so basically people can't/never do such thing.
    Shock intuition, diamond logic.

The16types.info Scientific Model

Mentioned
    914 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

the way i notice it with my ESI sister is like if something isn't directly connected to the goal/situation at hand, then its pointless. like she sets a path and any alternate ideas or suggestions of other things to take into consideration are ignored because what matters is the path that has been chosen.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by laghlagh View Post
    the way i notice it with my ESI sister is like if something isn't directly connected to the goal/situation at hand, then its pointless. like she sets a path and any alternate ideas or suggestions of other things to take into consideration are ignored because what matters is the path that has been chosen.
    I love the way you wrote this and it's a great example of that polr.
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

not gonna be around as much anymore
    TIM
    C-IEE
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yep. This is my mom (also ESI). She gets her mind set on something, and it's not so much that she is unwilling to look at other possibilities but that she is simply incapable. And if other people try to suggest other options, it's like they might as well be speaking a foreign language.
    My life's work (haha):
    http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin/blog.php?b=709
    Input, PLEASEAnd thank you

Mentioned
    143 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah, I'm kind of like that. I ignore possibilities that won't directly affect my well-being, realistically speaking... or at least that's what I've heard. I think I just panic inside during a crisis and it's easier to just focus on one problem/solution at a time, much more than that will cause me to second guess myself and other people.

It helps talking to people and get an outsider's relevant point of view on how things will most likely develop --and that everything won't crumble if I make the wrong move so I can try to relax.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by blackburry View Post
    yeah, I'm kind of like that. I ignore possibilities that won't directly affect my well-being, realistically speaking... or at least that's what I've heard. I think I just panic inside during a crisis and it's easier to just focus on one problem/solution at a time, much more than that will cause me to second guess myself and other people.

It helps talking to people and get an outsider's relevant point of view on how things will most likely develop --and that everything won't crumble if I make the wrong move so I can try to relax.
    That is not Ne PoLR; Ne PoLR makes a decision without looking at the outside perspective or caring to. That's the impulse of Se. You might ask why or how? but that's just the way it is. If you're looking to get a perspective than you are looking to an Ne type to talk to before you make a decision on something, correct? That would mean you're not LSI
    Last edited by Beautiful sky; 03-05-2011 at 02:43 AM.
    -

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

TIM
    ILE/ENTp
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa33 View Post
    That is not Ne PoLR; Ne PoLR makes a decision without looking at the outside perspective or caring to. That's the impulse of Se. You might as why or how? but that's just the way it is. If you're looking to get a perspective than you are looking to an Ne type to talk to before you make a decision on something, correct? That would mean you're not LSI
    It sounds like -HA instead.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    335 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa33 View Post
    That is not Ne PoLR; Ne PoLR makes a decision without looking at the outside perspective or caring to.
    In this situation, maybe it's more related to .

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thehotelambush View Post
    In this situation, maybe it's more related to .
    Yeah, ironing out and eliminating all variable or considering all variables before making a decision is definitely related with Te..trying to be efficient, sort of the antithesis of Te.

I'm beginning now to understand Rick's post on the mathematical paper about Socionics types and how LSE and IEI are at opposite poles.
    -

that sounds exactly like a female SLE i know.For example,she's like "i'm going to find an appartment just like i want it ,right?" then you go "yeah yeah sure" and she obviously takes this complaisant talking quite seriously.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by timewaster View Post
    that sounds exactly like a female SLE i know.For example,she's like "i'm going to find an appartment just like i want it ,right?" then you go "yeah yeah sure" and she obviously takes this complaisant talking quite seriously.
    yeah, yeah, sure.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

;D

hey i'm not saying that i'm "smarter" or something! it's just the way it is. plus, she wants to adopt my XEI ,20 yo brother.

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In my most aware experience, I often see it as not making silly associations or theorizing options for fun (you kind of have to just know how dominants are and compare them), and it can feel very direct and/or resolute, like they don't want to do any ing around and act opposed and uncomfortable about it. But what it overall it feels like is a lack of active imagination (I don't know if thats the right word, because I think they're just as imaginative as anyone else, but not in the way). I think its cute in some ISFjs, like Ashton says, but I probably don't really understand exactly what he means since I don't really use , but there are some available examples, for instance like Bob Dylan and his writings and understandings.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    383 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

-PoLRs have an obscure sense of humor.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

not gonna be around as much anymore
    TIM
    C-IEE
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another thing about my mom, that might be related to this...

Whenever there's something big coming up, that she has invested a lot of herself in, the night before she will have the most crazy, stressful dreams about everything going wrong.
    My life's work (haha):
    http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin/blog.php?b=709
    Input, PLEASEAnd thank you

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ne PoLRs makes ordinary, common-place things look like black swans. This is something that characterizes the dual couple rather than the type, though.

Banned
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Words View Post
    Discuss......
    My Ne PoLR doesn't affect me at all. Of course nothing bad will happen if you plan it out. And why see alternative possibilities when you've already got the best possible means of completing any task? Just be confident that you're totally right and are prepared to deal with any outcome. Everything will go smoothly and work exactly the way it should. Why wouldn't it?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Is this Ne polr?

So I've narrowed my type down to LSI or ESI, now that my understanding of socionics is less terrible.

I've realized threads on Ne polr here and elsewhere are pants. Most descriptions imply a dislike of breaking from routine and trying and understanding new things, and this is missing the point. Se types seek to understand the world as it objectively is, whereas Ne is concerned with understanding the world as it implicitly is, so curiosity and openness isn't a factor.

My way of describing Ne polr is like this; I see, and imagine reality as a series of static events. I can create rules based on information I know to decide how things are going to change and develop in the future, and these rules over time become increasingly complex (probably Ti, but this could be normative understanding for esi too). This is how my "Ni" manifests.

Ne seems completely alien to me, because I see reality as it objectively is, I can only determine what it could be through my system of rules. I think about the potentiality of something in a reactionary way, because of necessity.

When somebody is talking about a future event that they're excited about, I imagine the event as a static image(s) of whatever i associate with that event from experience, along with objective information about what I know about that event, and therefore from that rules as to how the event could develop.

It's boring and tedious for me to think about this kind of thing, so it's hard for me to be very enthusiastic. My ex used to get upset with me for playing down stuff she was excited about, which I didn't have a clue I was doing. I think it's this lack of enthusiasm for how things could potentially be that is interpreted as close mindedness.

Ne polr does not mean an aversion to trying and understanding new things, it's just a lack of ability to see the potentiality of something in a spontaneous and immediate way, and not valuing this either. And getting annoyed at people that do, but trying to hide it because i'm only jelly.

That could just be weak Ne, not Ne polr. Do you feel scared when things don't go according to plan? How are you around Ne egos ? How are you at brainstorming or randomly having fun with people, eg. impromptu dance moves? If you were to suddenly lose your job what would you do next? It might help to get a third person's opinion on your body language, too, as Ne polrs seem to have to have a stable, calm presence while Ne egos are somewhat more fidgety. There's also eye gaze to look out for. ESIs and LSIs have a "settling" gaze, Ne egos' eyes dart around a lot.

Mentioned
    914 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

this doesn't strongly resonate with me but i dunno if that means anything since i don't think i'm an exemplar of ne polr. i've been thinking for awhile about writing about ne polr in order to flesh out my thoughts since my idea of how it could work in me is pretty slippery. this seems like a good place to do it. i'm not sure where to start so i'll just respond directly to the OP for now. i don't really have anything to contribute except my own experiences so if that feels like a hijack or something it can be ignored : p

Quote Originally Posted by Ainfigur View Post
    I've realized threads on Ne polr here and elsewhere are pants. Most descriptions imply a dislike of breaking from routine and trying and understanding new things, and this is missing the point. Se types seek to understand the world as it objectively is, whereas Ne is concerned with understanding the world as it implicitly is, so curiosity and openness isn't a factor.
    breaking from routine and new things, it depends. i'm happy with this stuff when its my idea but i'm not usually receptive to this kind of thing from other people. i dont really love surprises and i haaate pranks. i sometimes like hearing a few realistic options but too many suggestions or especially ones that aren't really applicable to me feels demeaning..when somebodys like, "why don't you just paint your kitchen wall beige?" when i live in an apt and can't paint the wall. i hate that.

(i couldnt think of an actual example question from my life so i made one up...strong Ne?)

i want to understand the world as it is both objectively and implicitly. i can't force myself to identify with one over the other. i want to understand the world objectively for the purpose of navigating in it effectively, so maybe that is just Te. i want to understand it implicitly because i'm not a robot and because when i can see how there are patterns that lie underneath i feel like there is more of a reason to doing things.

My way of describing Ne polr is like this; I see, and imagine reality as a series of static events. I can create rules based on information I know to decide how things are going to change and develop in the future, and these rules over time become increasingly complex (probably Ti, but this could be normative understanding for esi too). This is how my "Ni" manifests.

Ne seems completely alien to me, because I see reality as it objectively is, I can only determine what it could be through my system of rules. I think about the potentiality of something in a reactionary way, because of necessity.
    i don't really relate to any of this.

When somebody is talking about a future event that they're excited about, I imagine the event as a static image(s) of whatever i associate with that event from experience, along with objective information about what I know about that event, and therefore from that rules as to how the event could develop.
    i wouldn't use the word "rules," but its pretty close. actually i'm not sure i think about how it will develop at all. when i read this, i pictured a concert because that's something i'd get excited about, and it was just a snapshot picture of a crowd. and that was it, developments didn't enter my thoughts. thinking about how it could develop, my mind starts searching for more detail like who i am there with and who is playing, wanting to zoom in for context. and then, since i don't actually have any concrete plans for a concert atm, my inclination is to daydream some kind of plot. (is this Ne ---> Si?)

It's boring and tedious for me to think about this kind of thing, so it's hard for me to be very enthusiastic. My ex used to get upset with me for playing down stuff she was excited about, which I didn't have a clue I was doing. I think it's this lack of enthusiasm for how things could potentially be that is interpreted as close mindedness.
    hm. with my eii friend when she talks about something she's excited about in the future, her enthusiasm is catchy and i don't play it down or discourage it at all.

but then with my sli ex when he would talk about getting changes to the house made or whatever and i knew from experience that the chances were low that he would actually follow through with what he was talking about, i got really impatient and i didn't want to hear about things that might get my hopes up or add contingencies to consider and then not even actually happen. but for him it was fun just to think about and imagine. but it really stressed me out. similar to having "maybe" plans (and worrying about conflict with other plans) or ambiguity or not getting straight answers. if this is ne polr related then yea i probably am. it feels deep rooted so maybe its more of an enneagram thing.

Ne polr does not mean an aversion to trying and understanding new things, it's just a lack of ability to see the potentiality of something in a spontaneous and immediate way, and not valuing this either. And getting annoyed at people that do, but trying to hide it because i'm only jelly.
    i don't feel jealous of anybody that can see potentiality in things, i don't think. if they can both see the potentiality and make it happen i might feel jealous or admiring or something.
    Last edited by ashlesha; 04-19-2014 at 02:53 AM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ConcreteButterfly View Post
    That could just be weak Ne, not Ne polr. Do you feel scared when things don't go according to plan? How are you around Ne egos ? How are you at brainstorming or randomly having fun with people, eg. impromptu dance moves? If you were to suddenly lose your job what would you do next? It might help to get a third person's opinion on your body language, too, as Ne polrs seem to have to have a stable, calm presence while Ne egos are somewhat more fidgety. There's also eye gaze to look out for. ESIs and LSIs have a "settling" gaze, Ne egos' eyes dart around a lot.
    If things don't go to plan, it depends on the situation as to whether that would bother me e.g I prefer to just go with the flow when I'm just having fun with other people, whereas if I am waiting around for someone or something I start to get pretty anxious. As for brainstorming, I can do this, I can come up with creative and unusual ideas, but I don't think it's just Ne that does this. The thing about having random fun with people I'm torn about. If i'm with close friends I'll randomly do crazy shit to make them laugh, if it's somebody behaving like that around me who I don't really know I wouldn't be very receptive to it. In fact if i'm in a bad mood it can piss me off. This thread is going to make me sound horrible :/ haha. I have a typical IJ/EJ posture. I don't think that's as relevant though. If I lost my job I would see it as an opportunity to do something new. But i'm 20 and don't have any responsibilities...

Quote Originally Posted by lungs View Post
    this doesn't strongly resonate with me but i dunno if that means anything since i don't think i'm an exemplar of ne polr. i've been thinking for awhile about writing about ne polr in order to flesh out my thoughts since my idea of how it could work in me is pretty slippery. this seems like a good place to do it. i'm not sure where to start so i'll just respond directly to the OP for now. i don't really have anything to contribute except my own experiences so if that feels like a hijack or something it can be ignored : p
    Noo, please do post your experiences and understanding, it's a good way to work through ideas, and it's interesting.

breaking from routine and new things, it depends. i'm happy with this stuff when its my idea but i'm not usually receptive to this kind of thing from other people. i dont really love surprises and i haaate pranks. i sometimes like hearing a few realistic options but too many suggestions or especially ones that aren't really applicable to me feels demeaning..when somebodys like, "why don't you just paint your kitchen wall beige?" when i live in an apt and can't paint the wall. i hate that.
    I would agree with this. I forgot to mention the need for things to be applicable, otherwise I have a tendency to disregard them.

i want to understand the world as it is both objectively and implicitly. i can't force myself to identify with one over the other. i want to understand the world objectively for the purpose of navigating in it effectively, so maybe that is just Te. i want to understand it implicitly because i'm not a robot and because when i can see how there are patterns that lie underneath i feel like there is more of a reason to doing things.
    There's a difference between wanting to understand life and the world and the patterns between everything, which all people have an interest in, and valuing the implicit potentiality of objects in a way that you disregard or don't see it's objective properties. That's the difference between Ne egos and Se egos, in my understanding. Se sees first and foremost what IT IS, and then puts it into a framework of understanding.

i wouldn't use the word "rules," but its pretty close. actually i'm not sure i think about how it will develop at all. when i read this, i pictured a concert because that's something i'd get excited about, and it was just a snapshot picture of a crowd. and that was it, developments didn't enter my thoughts. thinking about how it could develop, my mind starts searching for more detail like who i am there with and who is playing, wanting to zoom in for context. and then, since i don't actually have any concrete plans for a concert atm, my inclination is to daydream some kind of plot. (is this Ne ---> Si?)
    I don't first and foremost think about how it would develop, I probably wouldn't think about that at all unless I had too. I just see the static images and relate to that what I know, and what I feel about it. It's usually just a snapshot in my head, and then I change the subject back to something else.

hm. with my eii friend when she talks about something she's excited about in the future, her enthusiasm is catchy and i don't play it down or discourage it at all.

but then with my sli ex when he would talk about getting changes to the house made or whatever and i knew from experience that the chances were low that he would actually follow through with what he was talking about, i got really impatient and i didn't want to hear about things that might get my hopes up or add contingencies to consider and then not even actually happen. but for him it was fun just to think about and imagine. but it really stressed me out. similar to having "maybe" plans (and worrying about conflict with other plans) or ambiguity or not getting straight answers. if this is ne polr related then yea i probably am. it feels deep rooted so maybe its more of an enneagram thing.
    I like talking about future trends and developments if it serves a practical benefit to myself or others. Talking about specific events purely because they're exciting, even if they might not happen, is weird to me. When Ne do this I can see why they're excited and can share in that to an extent, but I can't see everything that they can, so it can look to them like I don't care. I also dislike ambiguity.

i don't feel jealous of anybody that can see potentiality in things, i don't think. if they can both see the potentiality and make it happen i might feel jealous or admiring or something.
    I'm jealous in a sense that they can appreciate life in a way I can't.

Also I'm describing things in a pretty robotic way, it doesn't mean that's exactly how I experience it

Jesus is the cruel sausage consentingadult's Avatar
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Imho most Socionics enthusiast try to make too much of the PoLR, trying to translate it into specific behaviors. But such behaviors are not really there, it is more a matter of behaviors that aren't there. In general I think the way the PoLR manifests itself is through the Mobilizing Function: if a person uses their Mobilizing Function too much, it is often obvious to onlookers that the principles of the Information Element of their PoLR are being violated, but the person themselves does not realize this. In case of an ESI or LSI, this is often a matter of drawing conclusions about a situation or a development without properly falsifying if other conclusions aren't possible either.Not just theoretical possibilities, but possibilities where one of them might in fact be more fitting for or explaining of the situation.

I've explained this in a blog post how this works for LSEs, perhaps this helps:

http://mavericksocionics.blogspot.nl...-and-polr.html
    Last edited by consentingadult; 04-19-2014 at 11:47 AM.
    “I have never tried that before, so I think I should definitely be able to do that.” --- Pippi Longstocking

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I don't know where Ne is in my function block, but I find the idea of constantly pursuing 'fun' possibilities/new things as they come a bit intimidating. Typical questions that sort of behavior would rouse are: What's the purpose? What does any of this mean? Where is this leading me? Why did I just give up on that last thing I did? Is this what my life is going to be about? Who am I throughout all this, what am I working towards becoming?

The idea of dropping the things I currently care about for something brand new makes me feel strangely vulnerable.
    Last edited by suedehead; 04-19-2014 at 02:43 PM.

TIM
    ILI-Ni
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Suedehead View Post
    I don't know where Ne is in my function block, but I find the idea of constantly pursuing 'fun' possibilities/new things as they come a bit intimidating. Typical questions that sort of behavior would rouse are: What's the purpose? What does any of this mean? Where is this leading me? Why did I just give up on that last thing I did? Is this what my life is going to be about? Who am I throughout all this, what am I working towards becoming?

The idea of dropping the things I currently care about for something brand new makes me feel strangely vulnerable.
    Haha, I identify with this so well, it's ridiculous. When I hang out with groups of people that like to have impulsive fun I fall into some sort of philosophical crisis and then just make up some sort of excuse and leave. I swear, all my alpha 'friends' hate me.

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Neuralia View Post
    Haha, I identify with this so well, it's ridiculous. When I hang out with groups of people that like to have impulsive fun I fall into some sort of philosophical crisis and then just make up some sort of excuse and leave. I swear, all my alpha 'friends' hate me.
    Yeah, I can't do parties or large get-togethers for too long without feeling like I'm wasting my time. Close friends or family on a holiday is fine though.

Part of it is social anxiety, and another part of it is just not seeing the use of it from a long-term perspective. No genuine bonds are being formed or strengthened, I'm not actually enjoying this, nothing's being gained, none of this matters. It's pointless self-indulgence. A distraction. I could be working on my resume, applying for jobs, finishing the book I'm reading, catching up on my homework, etc.
    Last edited by suedehead; 04-19-2014 at 07:27 PM.

Mentioned
    224 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

a bird in the bush is worth two in the hand. -- a Russian ILE description.

Mentioned
    143 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not in an introspective mood at the moment.. and so I kind of just do things.

ISxJ seems about spot on... can't seem to differientate it yet but gamma seems possible (you don't seem to highly value Fe).

And I often confuse you and Suedehead when I read your posts (who I think is ESI-Fi). so... maybe?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not in an introspective mood at the moment.. and so I kind of just do things.

ISxJ seems about spot on... can't seem to differientate it yet but gamma seems possible (you don't seem to highly value Fe).

And I often confuse you and Suedehead when I read your posts (who I think is ESI-Fi). so... maybe?
    I think ESI. I like Delta too much. Betas are crazy:/

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This seems more like you're talking about Ni values. Ne has less to do with how things will unfold and is more about being able to process ambiguity or uncertainty. Both Ne and Se exist "in the moment".
    Easy Day

TIM
    ILI-Ni
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah I agree. It's virtually the same for me. I'm slightly better with parties than when my SEI friend comes up with stupid ideas like crawling through the rain drainage tunnel, building a bonfire on campus (Im in college), or constructing a raft out of small intertubes and duct tape and rowing it down the river. That said, I won't do either really. When Im stuck with these types of people I just start to think about all of the downside and whether I should stay because I'm sort of their friend or leave because its pointless and not fun for me. I then start worrying about my social progress and wondering how I ended up stuck with a bunch of guys who think walking through a wet tunnel and getting pneumonia is fun. If I don't see how an activity will help me progress, I just won't do it.

Mentioned
    143 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was absolutely like ^^^ the last couple of posts when I was in my late teens and early twenties. I was a pretty serious person.

Now I kind of just... do things with people who invite me places and I don't mind the partying as much. Can be fun when I actually have time to.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Over the years, I've come to think about the PoLR as just a reflection of your creative function, in a somewhat practical / down to earth fashion, meaning: humans have a limited amount of time they wish to allocate among differing activities, and if you focus on a specific facet of human life you're going to miss developing "skills" in its opposite facet.
    So if you very much focus your life on completing a series of urgent tasks in a timely fashion with the highest amount of skillfulness (which I associated with Se creative, and perhaps sometimes Si creative), you won't have time to develop a constructive theoretical framework on how to apply existing methods to craft a new idea (which I associate with Ne creative, and perhaps partially with Ni). And if you're focussing your life on completing urgent tasks in a timely fashion, you may want to know how to do it as quickly as possible and in a way which may grant medium-to-long term success, I guess.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    914 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I often enjoy impulsive ideas and spontaneity when it comes to fun stuff in free time. I only get overwhelmed when they conflict too much with what I already had in mind or they are in regards to more serious life choices. Or the ambiguity of something like "maybe I'll go bowling with you Saturday, I'll call you and let you know Friday". .i might need to know by Wednesday cuz I'll be at the bowling shoes store or something lol I know people have lives so I try to hide my impatience unless this happens a lot. But it makes me feel anxious

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast