live... maybe kick the dope someday.

Hakuna Matata and the cycle of Samsara godslave's Avatar
    TIM
    694 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Five minutes ago, I was contemplating the idea of becoming a pro youtuber as I was watching a TV channel dedicated to video games (namely Game One) in which a youtuber named Newtiteuf is hosting a show called "Level one" which is a "let's play" kind of show . As a matter of facts, Marcus (whom I love very much as a fan that is, if I've only seen him only once irl !) is the original host and creator of that show. Marcus also allegedly invented the "let's play" concept because "Level one" existed way before the advent of Youtube. But like I said, right now it's Newtiteuf who is hosting the show because Marcus took a few days off after he suffered from a heart attack which required a pacemaker. But I digress...

So watching that dude made me think that being a youtuber is actually quite a nice job all things considered. I was thinking that job would not be something very difficult for someone like me. In fact I could have been a youtuber since a long time if I had the right amount of motivation because I've always had a lot of what most people don't have enough namely free time.

So I was thinking about how I would proceed. First of course I would have to update my set-up (computer and technical stuff). I would also have to buy and master a Professional video editing program (even if I could do with a free alternative for a while). I naturally like to be visually creative and present stuff in an esthetically pleasant way. All this is perfectly feasible for me right now If I really wanted cuz I have the financial resources.

I could also make several youtube channel since I have a lot of interests and certain sets of skills in different domains. That said in terms of strategy and "the greatest amount of money earned for the minimum amount of work done" ratio (I'm there is a proper name for this but hey, I'm not a freaking economist !), it will be wise to make a youtube channel that build most of its success based on tends and pop culture. Indeed, it's like making a living out consuming, commenting, criticize, in other words feedbacking on what the market (whatever it is) has produced in whatever domain. That's an inexhaustible source if you think about it. Plus people will throw money at you, so much so that you'll have to make dedicated video just to read the (payed) superchat and superthanks.

I think I could be a successful Youtuber. I'm quite likable in addition to be a perfectionist which is good for any business endeavor. I would have to find the sweet-spot of video releases frequency to maintain a certain level of quality though. In the begging I would probably do all the mistakes expected but the sooner I overcome that phase the better of course so my video release frequency should be higher in the beginning, making a certain amount more of live videos than the elaborated ones might be the wise choice for that period because it would allow me to test things in real situation so to speak. All this would not feel like "work" to me because I would probably enjoy the process, would not count my hours cuz I would be in flow state and I would probably get addicted to it. Indeed, like I said, there is virtually no limit in term of material to work with and "monetize" to use a term of the Zeitgeist.

I don't like the idea that people throw money at you on youtube though. For some reasons, It feels like a lack of empathy towards real beggars to whom nobody gives a penny most of the time. Especially when I see very successful youtubers receiving money from people (obviously regardless of their social status) without any particular good in return as something normal. To me, merit is a real value and some very successful youtubers don't deserve their success imho. But I guess that's just the way people are in this post internet revolution age. For some of these high level youtubers, the Youtube Algorithm as they call it becomes the Alpha and the Omega. Those people have certainly understood the riddle of steel...

Last edited by godslave; 02-27-2024 at 03:33 AM.