TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    507 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hitta
    Quote Originally Posted by Subterranean
    Making an electron free to move from an atom in order to conduct electricity would strip the electron from the atom, so that it wouldn't be an atom - even if it could stay an atom by some procedure I can't imagine, it would take a vast amount of energy, say compared to passing a current through an ion - an ion and an atom are different, and to get from one to the other takes energy, so they can't be considered as equal entities.
    Mass is energy
    Yes, when it's been converted to energy, which would damage the properties of the mass somewhat...ions also have less mass than atoms too, not the same.

Hacking your soul since the beginning of time Hitta's Avatar
    Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Making an electron free to move from an atom in order to conduct electricity would strip the electron from the atom, so that it wouldn't be an atom - even if it could stay an atom by some procedure I can't imagine, it would take a vast amount of energy, say compared to passing a current through an ion - an ion and an atom are different, and to get from one to the other takes energy, so they can't be considered as equal entities.
    Mass is energy
    Yes, when it's been converted to energy, which would damage the properties of the mass somewhat...ions also have less mass than atoms too, not the same.
    No offense, but whats that got to do with the idea that atoms and compounds can produce energy.

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    507 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

You said ions and atoms are the same because they have the same properties, or can have the same properties by virtue of having potential energy. It's a bit like saying a nuclear submarine is the same as a daffodil, because they are both made of matter.

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Well in a way they all are the same, but thats not the argument I am trying to make.

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ifmd95
    Well in a way they all are the same, but thats not the argument I am trying to make.
    it sure sounds like it, the way you tried to "greedily reduce" some of the Reinin dichotomies away. even if "things happen for a reason" on some exotic low level, that doesn't make the high level meaningless. chemistry still "exists" as a problem solving mechanism even if QM theoretically supersedes it, because in practicality there's still many situations where using an ion chart supersedes running a QM simulation. reinin dichotomies "exist" in the same way too, was the only argument i was trying to make prattling about high school science.

You have -Te that groups with +Ni. And you have -Te that also groups with +Si. +Te groups with -Ni and -Si. Now the reason why the functions change polarity when group with the same function in different instances is unknown
    it's logically redundant and derived from the quadra values and duality is what i think. and i think that's pretty obvious too. you can have the last word though because the amount of time you're investing (and amount of socionics canon you're butchering) against the obvious makes me suspicious against there being any problems to be solved by arguing with you.

There is a reason for everything. QMs explains better what is actually happening. Noticing that a chemical reaction occurs isn't enough to explain why the chemical reaction is occurring. Everything breaks down infinitely, and the more it breaks down the better it explains what is happening on the top level. About the quadra values and the duality statement, I have doubts you even know what you are talking about. What does quadra values and duality have to do with my theory?

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

i think i well understand your point about QM but you're completely missing mine so W/E. maybe you will reread the thread one day and get it.

about qudra values, i discussed in my first post why, for example, gamma values a different variation of Se than beta and how +/- are redundantly derivable from existing attributes like aristocracy. it's nothing novel and neither is anything i think anyone is getting from this argument so i really am done now.

you can trash my understanding of high school science and socionics all you want after this post because i really doubt anyone else (other than tcau types maybe) will be listening.
    I still don't understand your point, I agree, Betas Se is different than the Se in gammas. Its +Se in Gammas vs.s -Se in Betas.

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

with betas and deltas in canonical model A, functions are +rational OR -perceiving. in alpha and gamma "external" functions (S and T) and distrubted evenly across clubs (SF and NT). that's democracy vs. aristocracy. there is a 1:1 correspondence between this one fact and the other making them redundant theoretically. and this understanding of +/-'s origin plays out well empirically, when we observe or imagine intuitively just how different groups of quadra-valued functions are going to interact. i gave an example with -Te+Ni and -Se+Ti earlier. if you understand the quadras, their dichotomies, and how they manifest in reality, there's little if anything of +/- left to be explained.

Once again, I am not attempting to explain +/-. I'm explaining that a function composite in a sub-block is composed of both introverted and extroverted varieties. The introverted variety will be +/-, and the extroverted variety will be the opposite. Now about the dichotomies, although I don't buy into them too much, could either be split two ways. You could assume that +Ne and -Ni are both static, and +Ni and -Ne are dynamic, or you could consider +Ne and -Ne to be static, and +Ni and -Ni to be dynamic. To be honest, I do not know what the right answer is. The latter would mean that types are composed of both static and dynamic parts in their base function(in which this makes the most sense to me). If the Reinin Dichotomies are to be correct, they need to be tweaked. Also, just curious, what type are you?

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My 2 cents --

What does quadra values and duality have to do with my theory?
    I don't know what they have to do with your theory, but they do explain why the and types (and their functions) are different in reality, without having to go for +/- or your version of it.

This thread is a good illustration of (hitta) and (ifmd95) arguing, by the way.
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Expat
    My 2 cents --

What does quadra values and duality have to do with my theory?
    I don't know what they have to do with your theory, but they do explain why the and types (and their functions) are different in reality, without having to go for +/- or your version of it.

This thread is a good illustration of (hitta) and (ifmd95) arguing, by the way.
    ENTjs and ISTjs are different in their creative function that influences the thinking variable. ENTjs and ISTjs are both good in chaotic situations. They are very good under pressure. ISTjs and ENTjs are also the type of people to try to get rid of the negative influences instead of reinforcing the positives (-Te v.s. +Te) as an ESTj and an INTj would do. If an ISTj and an ENTj were both the owners of a business (although I'm not sure that ISTjs are the business people of the world) they would both like to take a lot of risks. They wouldn't be afraid the fire people often. This is how the (-Te +Ti) function works. ISTjs and ENTjs make the best athletes especially in clutch situations. This is because they share a common "function".

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

There are over 6000 dichotomies mathematically. Just because they fit into the common ones together isn't what makes them alike. There is functional similarities. There has to be, everything breaks down.

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I hate to use Sergei Ganin's resources, because I find him to be rather retarded, but he created a simple code for dichotomies(although it could probably be solved by simple mathematics).

http://www.socionics.com/advan/comme...l?useless.html

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

do you understand what orthogonality is and why it is significant? have you understood the maths? there's an excellent wikisocion article about this using some solid group theory notation. (i think thehotelambush wrote most of it. just search for "dichotomies" on there.) there was also a thread recently propsing "unequal dichotomies" where i did some explaination of my own about the present system.

Common dichotomies are the ones that are defined from joining two letters of a given type and comparing them to the two letters from another type. There are a lot more dichotomies than 15.

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

i didn't use the word "common". i asked you about orthogonality. you got through quantum physics and you aren't familiar with orthogonality?
    Um, by common I mean accepted. And yes I know what orthogonality. But thats irrelevant. There is still more dichotomies.

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

the most "accepted" dichotomies (beyond the jungian foundation of course) as far as i know are the reinin dichotomies. and the reinin dichotomies are orthogonal. the only time i've ever seen anyone else take any other dichotomies seriously is in this conversation and on ganin's site (which probably isn't saying much. you can see what the community thinks of ganin's credibility by reading a thread on today's front page.)

do you know why i (and reinin and augusta) think it's significant for dichotomies to be orthogonal to each other?
    No... and I doubt you do either

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

the idea is a pretty basic application of reductionism. if we consider every possible combination of the jungian foundation, what we are considering isn't really a group of interacting parts. instead it's a group of those parts along with a lot of overlap.

at least in theory.. (which is what we've been disucssing) there's little need to elaborate on the overlapping dichotomies empirically because this should describe redundantly what could be had deductively by just taking some combination of the orthogonal ones.

i really am going to stop now because you really don't seem to know what you're talking about. i do my homework before engaging in debate because 1) i value my own credibility and 2) i don't want to waste other peoples time with what could easily be learned from the wealth of reference material available. even if you don't mind your own credibility being torn to shreds, you could at least take the second point into consideration for others' sake.
    You're stopping because you don't know why orthogonal dichotomies are the only ones used. You've yet to give a reason.

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

i gave you a reason: they're redundant.

relating this back to "the point" (if you even care about it): considering other dichotomies therefore isn't going to shed any new light on the difference between ISTj and an ENTj. at least in theory. (which again is what we've been discussing),

it's a lot like how this conversation is redundant. i'm not learning anything new from it as it progresses. i could sample virtually any random page of this conversation and come to the same realization: that you're full of it.
    If they are redundant then all of the Reinen Dichotomies are redundant too. One thing I've noticed about you is you like to keep cutting down stuff, but you never give a reason for it? Why am I full of it? Do you even know?

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

If they are redundant then all of the Reinen Dichotomies are redundant too.
    this is plainly false and thehotelambush's proof on Wikisocion lucidly demonstrates why.

either you aren't visiting the reference material i've suggested or you don't understand basic mathematical concepts like orthogonality. (in spite of your expertise in quantum physics lol..)

good luck in life but i have better things to do than argue with you, like eat breakfast.

You sir are completely dense.

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hitta:
    I suspect your theory offers a mechanistic explanation for the "shadow" personality. (sociopath/psychopath) The more I think about your theory, the more it makes sense.

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Its very easy to see. Take an ENTj for example, he/she has a +Si/-Se PoLR. ENTjs shouldn't notice the things like pleasure, having a strong state of health, or anything towards the positive side of health. This is the given. Now everyone knows that ENTjs and INTps lack initiative. This is because of the PoLR. -Se is the function of initiative. Its the same function that ESTps use. Due to having -Se in and near their PoLR respectively ENTjs and INTps have no initiative.

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its very easy to see. Take an ENTj for example, he/she has a +Si/-Se PoLR. ENTjs shouldn't notice the things like pleasure, having a strong state of health, or anything towards the positive side of health. This is the given. Now everyone knows that ENTjs and INTps lack initiative. This is because of the PoLR. -Se is the function of initiative. Its the same function that ESTps use. Due to having -Se in and near their PoLR respectively ENTjs and INTps have no initiative.
    But if you were to observe an ENTj with +Se... then they would have initiative and be sensitive to their health, right?

They would have an obsession with peace, am I right?

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tcaudilllg
    But if you were to observe an ENTj with +Se... then they would have initiative and be sensitive to their health, right?

They would have an obsession with peace, am I right?
    +Se isn't initiative. +Se is more similar to willpower,counterattack, and the concept of possession(as seen from +Se in ESFps). ENTjs are not the type to overthrow authority (which would be present in -Se agenda types (INTjs are an example of an -Se agenda). ENTjs have a need to know who's in charge of something. They also have a need to retaliate. ENTjs and INTps have a -Si hidden agenda also. They tend to try to fix all the negative issues with health. ENTjs and INTps tend to wash their hands often.

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your missing my point. I'm asking you, consider what an ENTj whose polarities were universally reversed would be like.

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Your missing my point. I'm asking you, consider what an ENTj whose polarities were universally reversed would be like.
    An INTj, INTjs with a +Si/-Se hidden agenda thanks to -Se have a strong need to overthrow authority.

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

An INTj, INTjs with a +Si/-Se hidden agenda thanks to -Se have a strong need to overthrow authority.
    Ok, reverse the polarities without reversing the functions. What do you get for the ENTj then?

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Ok, reverse the polarities without reversing the functions. What do you get for the ENTj then?
    An INTj an ENTjs is -Te/+Ti and +Ni/-Ne switch the polarities and you have +Te/-Ti and -Ni/+Ne which would be INTj.

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

An INTj an ENTjs is -Te/+Ti and +Ni/-Ne switch the polarities and you have +Te/-Ti and -Ni/+Ne which would be INTj.
    Mmm not quite.... What is the difference between -Ti/+Te and +Te/-Ti? You said these functions worked together....

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Mmm not quite.... What is the difference between -Ti/+Te and +Te/-Ti? You said these functions worked together....
    Nothing imo

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But if Ti needs Te to affirm the real world relevance of its constructs, and Te needs Ti to comprehend what it is all those facts imply....

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

But if Ti needs Te to affirm the real world relevance of its constructs, and Te needs Ti to comprehend what it is all those facts imply....
    An ESTj and INTj both have the same dominant function. The only reason that INTjs seem more introverted is because of the stereotype thats created that implys that INTjs only use Ti in their base functions sub-block. This makes it so that only introverts think that they are INTjs. In reality a lot of ENTps(and some other types especially ESTjs and ISTps) are INTjs that are in reality extroverted. There is no difference between -Ti/+Te and +Te/Ti. The differences between ESTjs and INTjs are "seen" through the creative function. -Ti uses +Te a lot to communicate with the external world. +Te brings in data for -Ti to analyze.

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Another way to see my theory clearly is to notice the similarity between INTjs/ENTps when compared to INFps/ENFjs. I see a bunch of quad divisions between types. I'd like to call the INTjs ENTps INFps and ENFjs the "originals" or the "uniques" or something like that. These 4 types try to be original and go against authority. This is due to them sharing the same intuition and the same agenda. -Se as a hidden agenda makes types go up against authority or the norms of society.

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Expat, I think he's right. I'm always optimistic about my strength (my "endless, unbreakable will), even though I acknowledge that my coordination and general physical skills are weaknesses.

+Se absolutely defines my experience of Se.

Hitta:
    In an effort to explain my thinking, I've tried illustrating how Te and Ti work together as base

+Te/-Ti (w/-Ni/+Ne)
    All these facts indicate that the structure is poor. All my plans for better relationships are doomed due to this poor structure, but I can realize my potential by exploiting it!

-Ti/Te (w/+Ne/-Ni)
    This structure is poor, I know that, but the phenomena are real. The possibility of a new structure that adequately explains these phenomena offers hope that the future can be changed into something better.
    At first glance they may seem similar, but there is a definite difference in attitude.

Yes hitta, you have definitely added to my understanding of socionics. I understand now. Thank you for taking the time to explain it to me.

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Expat, I think he's right. I'm always optimistic about my strength (my "endless, unbreakable will), even though I acknowledge that my coordination and general physical skills are weaknesses.

Hitta:
    In an effort to explain my thinking, I've tried illustrating how Te and Ti work together as base

+Te/-Ti (w/-Ni/+Ne)
    All these facts indicate that the structure is poor. All my plans for better relationships are doomed due to this poor structure, but I can realize my potential by exploiting it!

-Ti/Te (w/+Ne/-Ni) Great possibilities are attainable despite the immediate outlook)
    This structure is poor, I know that, but the phenomena are real. The possibility of a new structure that adequately explains these phenomena offers hope that the future can be changed into something better.
    At first glance they may seem similar, but there is a definite difference in attitude.

Yes hitta, you have definitely added to my understanding of socionics. I understand now. Thank you for taking the time to explain it to me.
    What type are you?

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

INTj. The latter is pretty much how I think. ...I saw a sample of the former in the form of an ENTj videogame character who was described as "walking the path of darkness."

I can give you a link to the game if you like.

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Hitta:

+Te/-Ti (w/-Ni/+Ne)

-Ti/Te (w/+Ne/-Ni) Great possibilities are attainable despite the immediate outlook)

What type are you?
    if +Se defines your experience you are not INTj

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Hitta:

+Te/-Ti (w/-Ni/+Ne)

What type are you?
    if +Se defines your experience you are not INTj, INTjs lack willpower

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Uh? Check your chart...

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Uh? Check your chart...
    +Se for INTjs is in the PoLR

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Uh? Check your chart...
    Correct, but the inability to accurately gauge will does not mean that you yourself does not posses it. INTjs can be quite willful so long as they avoid physical situations. Psychological will is as important as physical power.

Classical socionics considerations of will extend only in as far as one can perceive it. Will may exist that is not perceived.

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Uh? Check your chart...
    Correct, but the inability to accurately gauge will does not mean that you yourself does not posses it. INTjs can be quite willful so long as they avoid physical situations. Psychological will is as important as physical power.
    The lack of +Se is why a lot of INTjs end up as high school drop outs. INTjs can't finish anything.

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Uh? Check your chart...
    The lack of +Se is why a lot of INTjs end up as high school drop outs. INTjs can't finish anything.
    Indeed. My teachers were extremely lenient, and made many, many exceptions. They told me they were determined that I graduate on time.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast