Thread: Hey, people who read books

Exits, pursued by a bear. Animal's Avatar
    TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Right now, I'm reading Ovid's Metamorphosis in a translation by some guy with the last name Humphries that I bought last summer and neglected to read. It's actually not that bad. Ovid's a funny guy.
    "How could we forget those ancient myths that stand at the beginning of all races, the myths about dragons that at the last moment are transformed into princesses? Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
    -- Rainer Maria Rilke, Letters to a Young Poet

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my current book: the art of war, sun tzu.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Baby View Post
    Right now, I'm reading Ovid's Metamorphosis in a translation by some guy with the last name Humphries that I bought last summer and neglected to read. It's actually not that bad. Ovid's a funny guy.
    Then you should try his Ars Amatoria, with tips about picking up girls in ancient Rome.
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Subterranean View Post
    Are there any books involving self-hating surrealist nihilists that you could recommend? Or possibly books where nothing bad ever happens, and the characters are so perfect they send you into a self-hating nihilistic gloom?

I know you have read basically every book ever written on the human condition, which must mean you are an extremely nice and perceptive person.
    The fact that you don't read anything even remotely intelligent shows.
    Voted best beach in the world by yahoo 728 times!

Banned
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Garmonbozia View Post
    The fact that you don't read anything even remotely intelligent shows.
    The fact that you read remotely intelligent books and don't learn anything from them also shows.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by discojoe View Post
    The fact that you read remotely intelligent books and don't learn anything from them also shows.
    Wow, the grammar in that Manga you read must be awful.

That begs the question.

Banned
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Garmonbozia View Post
    Wow, the grammar in that Manga you read must be awful.

That begs the question.
    The m in manga isn't capitalized.

I love how you always seem to sabotage your own efforts to insult other people's grammar by accidentally making a mistake of your own.

Also, I've never read manga.

Also, I hope you get aids.

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    507 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I read only trashy populist novels, though I would ideally like to read deeply esoteric books that no-one has ever heard of in order to appear hip and knowledgeable about a range of otherwise alien topics such as lesbianism and art murder.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love how you always seem to sabotage your own efforts to insult other people's grammar by accidentally making a mistake of your own.

I am stupid it is true. I know so little about the subject that I thought manga was the writer rather than the genre.

Forgive me Father for I have sinned; I know very little about Japanese silliness.

I wont get HIV for I have the black plague gene.

Banned
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nope, you said "know know".

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nope, you said "know know".

Yes I did; and I thought it was correct until I looked up the proper usage for "know know".

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    507 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

How do you tell someone you love them for who they are without them thinking you are being sarcastic?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some books I read over the holidays:

"Universe on a t-shirt: the quest for the theory of everything", it's a Canadian book about the major theoretical issues in theoretical physics. Nice acccessible read with lots' of interesting info.

"Tank versus Tank" is another Canadian book about the history of tank battles in the last century.

"Tank" is a cultural history of the tank from the UK, still reading it, has some very interesting bits.
    fiona

Exits, pursued by a bear. Animal's Avatar
    TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Expat View Post
    Then you should try his Ars Amatoria, with tips about picking up girls in ancient Rome.
    I saw that at the bookstore when I bought it as well as an edition of erotic poetry by him as well. I'll have to go back and find them again.
    "How could we forget those ancient myths that stand at the beginning of all races, the myths about dragons that at the last moment are transformed into princesses? Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
    -- Rainer Maria Rilke, Letters to a Young Poet

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Baby View Post
    I saw that at the bookstore when I bought it as well as an edition of erotic poetry by him as well. I'll have to go back and find them again.
    At the Circus:

Quote Originally Posted by Ovid
    Why do you keep trying to edge away from me? You can't do it; we've got to sit close because of the seats. That's an advantage I owe to the Circus arrangements. But you, there, who are sitting on the other side of this lady, mind what you're about; don't lean on her like that. And you behind there; don't thrust out your legs like that; don't let your hard knee dig into her back. Mind, darling, you're letting your dress drag on the ground. Pull it up a little, or I shall have to do it for you. Ah, jealous dress, how you liked to cover her beautiful legs. Aye, and the longer you looked--oh, you jealous dress, you! Atalanta's legs must have looked like yours, when she was running--no wonder Milanion wanted to catch hold of them--and Diana's too, when, with uplifted dress, she pursueth the wild beasts in the forests, beasts less fearless than herself. Though I never saw them, those legs set me on fire. What would happen if I saw yours? You will be adding fuel to fire, water to the ocean. I can just imagine, from what I've seen, what those other charms are like that you conceal so well under your dainty dress.
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not on anyone's side here but I think AIDS is in fact capitalized. (I think Aids is also acceptable.)
    EII 4w5

so/sx (?)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mountains Beyond Mountains by Tracy Kidder. Anthropologist Dr. Paul Farmer is a major hero of mine!

Octavia Butler's Xenogenesis, three book series which starts with Dawn, if you like science fiction. She talks about human and alien realtionships and alien society as metaphore for our own complex social issues. She was a really interesting lady, and very smart.
    Last edited by Christy B; 01-06-2008 at 11:21 AM.
    EII 4w5

so/sx (?)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just recently discovered Dostoevsky and was ashamed it took me so long. "Notes from the Underground" and "Crime and Punishment" were both tantalizing, about to start "The Brothers Karamazov". It's fun reading his books because his psychological description of characters makes them pretty easy to socionic type
    INFp-Ni

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12