View Poll Results: What type is Jim Carrey?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • ILE (ENTp)

5 19.23%
  • SEI (ISFp)

1 3.85%
  • ESE (ESFj)

2 7.69%
  • LII (INTj)

1 3.85%
  • SLE (ESTp)

4 15.38%
  • IEI (INFp)

1 3.85%
  • EIE (ENFj)

5 19.23%
  • LSI (ISTj)

0 0%
  • SEE (ESFp)

1 3.85%
  • ILI (INTp)

1 3.85%
  • LIE (ENTj)

2 7.69%
  • ESI (ISFj)

0 0%
  • IEE (ENFp)

2 7.69%
  • SLI (ISTp)

0 0%
  • LSE (ESTj)

0 0%
  • EII (INFj)

1 3.85%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jim Carrey

you can go to where your heart is Galen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by polikujm View Post
    Well any human being even an dominant has enough control over what they do, they have a conscience. Any type would be in trouble if they didn't.
    This. I feel like a lot of people see being "impulsive" as being irresponsible and reckless. Even hunger can be seen as an impulse, and from what I've heard/observed that's how valuers understand it to be. Things that are seen by valuers as "sensations" are more seen as impulses through an lens, like hunger or sleep or w/e.

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ESE? Not a strong typing, but he seems way too skilled at emotional demonstration to have weak Fe IMO
    EII INFj
    Forum status: retired

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

More of an ENFj, imo. ESFj are more conventional than him. He like to take things to extremes and gravitates towards novelty. People like Tom Cruise and George Clooney are quite boring compared to him.

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Eh, he's not really strong though, he's just wild and animated. That's his thing. He's a lot more typical of dominants and their naturally wild, impulsive, sanguine temperament, and just because he's hilarious at doing impressions and forcing out crazy emotions for humorous affect doesn't mean he should automatically be some dominant. Most almost all dominants don't do that kind of stuff anyway, it's not strong evidence to base the impression on that.
    Last edited by 717495; 09-08-2010 at 07:14 PM.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The actions of ESTp are more purposeful than his. It's rare for ESTps to do things solely for the sake of getting a reaction out of people. He does it all the time. This guy is basically nowhere without an audience. Put him on a cowboy ranch where any real ESTp would thrive and he would just wither away from the lack of attention.

Mentioned
    246 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I say Fe-ENFj also strictly based on VI.

Plus I agree with what Labcoat said about his comparison to him and Clooney and Cruise.
    Join my Enneagram Discord: https://discord.gg/ND4jCAcs

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

ISTp
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa33 View Post
    ISTp
    I don't think I will ever be able to take you seriously.
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box

TIM
    SEI, 9
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would irritate the hell out of this guy because I'd totally not react. Maybe I'd slap him after awhile or something. Gah that guy's facial expressions are annoying.
    "Language is the Rubicon that divides man from beast."

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was waiting for someone to say ILE, but I am pleased to see that my fears did not come to fruition. lol. My vote is for EIE. There is even a trend here: a lot of people think ESE, SLE, and EIE. Clearly Fe-valuing and probably Beta, also a lot of votes for Fe-leading. This points toward EIE, which fits with my intuitions of his personality...

jason_m

Contrarian Traditionalist Krig the Viking's Avatar
    TIM
    C-LII
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think he's EIE. What convinced me was not so much his stage persona -- which is very clearly a persona, not his core self -- but his more relaxed, natural interviews, especially with Charlie Rose, who seems to have a knack for drawing out the "real person" within.

Charlie Rose - An hour with actor Jim Carrey

If you watch the video, you'll notice that he very rarely expresses anything Si -- it's all big-picture, abstract ideas. Contrast him with a real ESE, Robin Williams, who tends more towards relating specific stories that happened to him, with many sound effects and references to how things look, feel, smell, sound, etc.
    Quaero Veritas.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was waiting for someone to say ILE
    Yeah, I thought he was ENTp years ago when I had virtually no experience with the theory. I was surprised the typing hadn't been suggested yet.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jim Carrey is cool. And extremely good at what he does.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

you can go to where your heart is Galen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Parkster View Post
    Jim Carrey is cool. And extremely good at what he does.
    He is a really great actor, I've loved much of his work.

I should watch The Truman Show again lol.

TIM
    C-LII
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a feeling Charlie Rose is LII, making him semi-duality with Mr. Carrey.
    Quaero Veritas.

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was going to say Fe-HA just based on his obnoxious grimacing facial emoting in a lot of his movies, but I haven't watched his interviews (i'll watch the one above later, can't access it at work). Honestly I dont enjoy watching his movies because of that stupid over the top grimacing. I enjoyed the Truman Show though, where he was a little more serious.

(maritsa, SLI???? REALLY??? Have you ever seen a Jean Gabin movie??)
    Enneagram: 9w1 6w5 2w3 so/sx

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WorkaholicsAnon View Post
    Honestly I dont enjoy watching his movies because of that stupid over the top grimacing. I enjoyed the Truman Show a bit more, where he was a little more serious.
    lol same.

^ just no.

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by laghlagh View Post
    lol same.

^ just no.
    AAAAA!!! MY EYES!!

lol

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This one was pretty awesome, too.

“Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know why everyone is so SHOCKED by maritsa's suggestion. There are a lot of signs that point to the fact that Jim Carey is an ISTP. First of all he's a comedian..and he's hilarious. There are other ISTP comedians out there like conan obrien and stephen colbert. They're all kinda crazy in their own way.

Not to mention he REEKS of ISTP in his movies...Me myself and Irene hes the grumpy guy with the ditsy ENFP girl. Fun with Dick and Jane he's the depressed ISTP with the giddy go for it ENFP wife. In my opinion it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure it out.

ESTP?? James Bond is an ESTP...Jim Carey dosent really say suave womanizer to me.

Stop picking on Maritsa...maybe your not taking her seriously enough.
    Peggacorn
    ENFP

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 3RainbowSprinkles View Post
    I don't know why everyone is so SHOCKED by maritsa's suggestion. There are a lot of signs that point to the fact that Jim Carey is an ISTP. First of all he's a comedian..and he's hilarious. There are other ISTP comedians out there like conan obrien and stephen colbert. They're all kinda crazy in their own way.

Not to mention he REEKS of ISTP in his movies...Me myself and Irene hes the grumpy guy with the ditsy ENFP girl. Fun with Dick and Jane he's the depressed ISTP with the giddy go for it ENFP wife. In my opinion it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure it out.

ESTP?? James Bond is an ESTP...Jim Carey dosent really say suave womanizer to me.

Congratulations. Now there are two people whose opinions I will be unable to take seriously from henceforth.
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box

Mentioned
    223 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What makes you think Irene is ENFp?

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Correction: Conan is NOT ISTp, he's ENTp. Are you going by MBTI or socionics with your typings??? Either way ISTp or ISTP do not fit Conan in the least. I can't comment on steve colbert as i've never watched his show and dont have time to watch a video right now. David Letterman is ISTp, and shows nothing even close to Jim Carrey's mannerisms or facial expressions.

I have interacted with an ISTp entertainer in person as well, and known some jokey ISTps, heck yeah they can be funny as hell but their humor is conveyed almost 100% through what they say, said dryly, with a straight face, and maybe one might see a little tiny inkling of a smile. Jim Carrey is the opposite--he doesn't say anything funny, he tries to make people laugh with the WAY he says things (in an Fe way). Sounds very Fe-HA to me. So imo ENTp or ESTp for him. Conan can say funny things, but mostly relies on Fe to be funny as well in a similar kind of way.

p.s. i find neither Jim Carrey nor Conan O'Brien hilarious.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Logos View Post
    Congratulations. Now there are two people whose opinions I will be unable to take seriously from henceforth.
    If I were Robespierre, I would decapitate them.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ugh..this place is so whack. so negative and unable to open their minds. not everything is black and white, people.

and im sticking with my guns. how the hell can jim carey be XNTX? NTs would probably be trying to do some witty humor which i would find boring. something like that comedian Demitri Martin. BORING.

whatever I won't bother any of these one track mind conversations anymore. good riddens for you you guys right?! And I didn't realize when reading everything that socionics had online here meant any person here was an "expert". First of all the readings were translated from Russian--there could be cultural undertones missed. And its TRANSLATED so there could be information missing...and none of it is actually legit until there is some kind of research apparent..official research with numbers and test subjects. JESUSSS CHRIST.

Where are all the sweet hearts that made me start coming to this site?
    Peggacorn
    ENFP

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's what an ESTp actor looks like... There's just always much less personal charm emanating from them. They have a bit of a tendency to "bark" out statements. Their faces are relatively inexpressive.

(the dialogue in the above is not very ESTp-ish, so don't base your typing on that)

Please tell me you don't think that looks anything like Jim Carrey.

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ugh..this place is so whack. so negative and unable to open their minds. not everything is black and white, people.

and im sticking with my guns. how the hell can jim carey be XNTX? NTs would probably be trying to do some witty humor which i would find boring. something like that comedian Demitri Martin. BORING.

whatever I won't bother any of these one track mind conversations anymore. good riddens for you you guys right?! And I didn't realize when reading everything that socionics had online here meant any person here was an "expert". First of all the readings were translated from Russian--there could be cultural undertones missed. And its TRANSLATED so there could be information missing...and none of it is actually legit until there is some kind of research apparent..official research with numbers and test subjects. JESUSSS CHRIST.

Well I mean in this in the friendliest possible way because I know you're a friendly person and I enjoy reading your posts, however it sounds to me like you're the one being closed-minded and having a one-track mind.

Speaking for myself, I was going by the type descriptions only when i was a newb and true I agree the descriptions are not very helpful in defining a type. since then, my understanding of socionics has come a long way (due to my remaining open-minded) and though my understanding is still not complete imo, it is a lot better than when i first started and was going by the descriptions. A lot of socionics understanding, I feel at least for me perhaps in the way I process info, comes from developing a gestalt feeling for how each of the IEs manifest in each of the different positions. Since starting out here, my perception of many of the types has changed about 3-4 times, and i'm constantly honing this. Maybe you should too.

with my current understanding of Fe, I must say Jim Carry displays an OBNOXIOUS amount of it, in particular displaying a high value for Fe in conveying his ability to act. Except it's not good Fe like an ESE or EIE would convey. It's terrible Fe. I'd say Conan is similar.

An SLI would also possibly show some terrible Fe, but would not place so much value in Fe for his acting/comedy.

Oh and i watched some clips of Steve Colbert. Yes SLI for sure, I agree. But are you really putting Conan and Jim Carrey in the same category of humor as Steve Colbert?? He barely shows any Fe.

Your conception is incorrect. ENTp's are among the goofiest types in the socion.

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've thought he was leading for a long time. I might watch the Charlie Rose interview on a different computer later. Anyway if he's HA his HA is burning a hole right through his ego functions, utterly obliterating them. I think I've seen him in at least one more serious role a long time ago and I know he doesn't have to act all over-the-top obnoxious (I'm not really counting The Truman Show because although it was a more serious portrayal of a character for him, he still did a lot of the awkward obnoxious face-making). I sort of have the impression that he is purposefully over-the-top, obnoxious and awkward to create that cringing feeling (and although it's not saying much it does kind of make me wonder about EIE over ESE--I think I thought he was ESE for a while). But anyway I think that he can't stop himself from the spontaneous face-making and outward animation and enacting of things and is capable (even if he doesn't do it so much) of a very diverse range and yes, probably likes getting reactions out of people.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Absurd View Post
    If I were Robespierre, I would decapitate them.
    If I were Robespierre, I would be dead.

No one is ascribing to a Manichean mindset here.

*looks around* Who's saying Jim Carrey is an NT? Furthermore, what guns?

Did you come here for sweet hearts or to discuss Socionics?
    Johari Box

TIM
    SEI, 9
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    Seriously! ENFJ? In what way is he NATURAL? ENFJs are supposedly ACTORS.
    To be fair, I don't think he's usually trying to be natural. lol He looks 'natural' enough in his serious roles.

(from 7:00) - doesn't look very Si-valuing :-p ... re ESE vs EIE .. looks like Letterman's kind of half-tolerating him towards the end
    "Language is the Rubicon that divides man from beast."

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Logos View Post
    Did you come here for sweet hearts or to discuss Socionics?
    zactly!

I was going to say, to be a sweetheart does that mean we all have to agree with each other all the time? What's the fun in that?

Furthermore, what's the point of just agreeing? If people dont agree wouldn't one rather know and why?

I've been waiting for you Satan's Avatar
    TIM
    sle sp/sx 845
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)

zactly!

I was going to say, to be a sweetheart does that mean we all have to agree with each other all the time? What's the fun in that?

Furthermore, what's the point of just agreeing? If people dont agree wouldn't one rather know and why?
    what's the point of talking if you're just gonig to question everything

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mercutio View Post
    what's the point of talking if you're just gonig to question everything
    The point of talking in a discussion such as this is to lay what's in your mind out on the table and see if people agree or not. If people agree then what you were thinking might be right. If people disagree, then you might be wrong and thus if it were I sharing my thoughts, I would want to know why people disagree and whether i should change the way i think about things. In other words, talking and questioning and discussion would hopefully lead to a consensus of a relatively accurate final conclusion.

The point of talking is also to show your thoughts for the potential education of those who want to learn.

TIM
    sle sp/sx 845
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)

The point of talking in a discussion such as this is to lay what's in your mind out on the table and see if people agree or not. If people agree then what you were thinking might be right. If people disagree, then you might be wrong and thus if it were I sharing my thoughts, I would want to know why people disagree and whether i should change the way i think about things. In other words, talking and questioning and discussion would hopefully lead to a consensus of a relatively accurate final conclusion.

The point of talking is also to show your thoughts for the potential education of those who want to learn.
    it was rhetorical.

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it was rhetorical.
    Too bad. I had an answer.

TIM
    sle sp/sx 845
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)

Too bad. I had an answer.
    I think you'll find that you're expecting other people to speak as you would, but people like you won't have any more answers than you.

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think you'll find that you're expecting other people to speak as you would, but people like you won't have any more answers than you.
    That's actually very well said mercutio. And a sort of disappointing thought.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by labcoat View Post
    The actions of ESTp are more purposeful than his. It's rare for ESTps to do things solely for the sake of getting a reaction out of people. He does it all the time. This guy is basically nowhere without an audience. Put him on a cowboy ranch where any real ESTp would thrive and he would just wither away from the lack of attention.
    agree. which is why to me he is a classic ILE.

ILE

those who are easily shocked.....should be shocked more often

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

agree. which is why to me he is a classic ILE.
    Maybe. That would be my second choice typing. Like I said, I used to instinctively see him as that type. Over the years I've begun to see ENTps as less social and less naturally affectionate than him, though. Stereotypically put, they're nerds like any other NT type, just talkative and active ones. The argument about purposefulness of actions is also more of an argument for ExTp than for ESxp in my opinion, so I do think it would also apply to ENTps to a large extent.

Basically, in the scenario of a "cowboy ranch" I would expect the ENTp to get sort of excited about the tasks put before him and to try to figure them out by thinking about them and trying things out, despite not enjoying the physical action as much as an ESTp would.

TIM
    C-LII
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One of the biggest things to keep in mind with Jim Carrey is that his whole "crazy man" face-pulling act is just a persona. It's not the real him. If you watch the interview with Charlie Rose, he talks about how when he was young, he saw it as his "job" to cheer his mom up, who was ill and depressed. He put on this act in order to do that, and just kept doing it. It's like a mask that he's worn for so long, it's almost become a part of him. But it's definitely not the "real him". The real Jim Carrey is the one you see talking to Charlie Rose in that interview, or in other more serious interviews.
    Quaero Veritas.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast