Quote Originally Posted by diamond8
i'm following i guess, but perhaps you could give a refresher on the difference between Fi polr and Fe polr. pretty please? :-)
Fe PoLR, in this case, is about making remarks that go against what would be emotionally and socially acceptable in a given ethical situation -- it's about being "rude", even though his intentions may not be such. In the example of the number of dead people in that uprising in India, for instance, he may be factually right, but if the people there have an emotional attachment to that event, for the husband of the British queen to say that may be seen as extremely tactless, even if his intention was just to say, "hmm, this number is not correct".

Fi PoLR is about not really understanding, or taking into consideration, someone else's ethical PoV it it's not stated -- for instance, a typical example would be a guy telling a joke about you, in your presence, and in presence of others, for the sake of making everyone else laugh, even if it's hurtful for you personally and s/he should be aware of it. He (I'll say he) is focusing on optimizing the Fe mood of the people around, not taking into account (not even occurring to him) that you, individually, might be hurt. That is Fi PoLR. Fi in relation of an individual person is not really considered when focusing on Fe.

That doesn't apply to Hitchens in the example above because he wasn't focusing on the other people at all -- he was simply saying what he thought to a particular individual.