• Compatible subtypes by Meged (further translation needed)

    subtypes2.jpg

    Compatible subtypes

    (machine trans--further translation needed)
    source: http://ru.laser.ru/authors/meged_ovcharov/85.htm


    If you follow the principles of Jungian typology, the repression of the human behavior of psychological functions, opposite to the value of the leading features of his personality type, should affect the relationship of subtypes. Heavy-duty functions in the interaction of subtypes can produce compatibility effects, or conversely, discord in the relationship, the more pronounced the more unfavorable overall intertype relations (relations between the 16 th personality types).

    The best compatibility is at the duals, if they are subtypes of enhanced non-opposed to each other (in regard to the information), a pair of functions, as intuition, logic, ethics, or sensory, as they are not antagonistic to each other. This means that such people can easily find a common language, at least - at the information level of communication. In addition, pairs of the same subtype of career guidance due to the relatively enhanced in their subtypes similar (identical) functions are located in vertical blocks of model A for each of these TIMov. It is there are elements that are responsible for an additional subtype of these types of career guidance. After the basic setup for the type of activity in duals never the same, so it is easier to find a common occupation, at least if the same innate intellectual additional installation.

    Let us illustrate this by the example of the dual pair IEE and SLI:

    IEE - Model A
    Inert subtype Contact subtype


    SLI - Model A
    Inert subtype Contact subtype


    The most consistent in the work - the first one. Intuitive subtype of the IEE and the second, logical subtype of SLI, or a subtype of an IEE-ethical and sensory subtype of SLI). For example, a subtype of the IEE intuitive, but the main humanitarian, is also adjacent to the scientific and theoretical setup by a characteristic increase in the vertical block A model of intuition and logic (as in type ILE). Those elements are strengthened and the logical sub-type SLI. Such a pair can be readily and productively engaged in the humanities (for example, the authors). A subtype of the IEE and ethical touch subtype SLI are more likely to humanitarian and social direction of the activity. In both cases, an extrovert rather IEE may be moderated. But if the program specifies the SLI, then the dual pair of related scientific and theoretical setting will be engaged in industrial and scientific activities. This is the main tipnaya orientation and additional SLI - in both. A second dual pair is willing to engage in productive and social activities.

    As for emotional compatibility, which is manifested on the ethical level of contacts, there are more compatible with the strengthening of subtypes opposite but complementary elements of information metabolism: sensory perceptions and intuitive features, the logic of relations and the ethics of emotion, volition and sensory intuition of time, the business logic and ethics of relations (in the figure are the first subtypes of the IEE and the SLI, or second of these subtypes of personality types). Such a pair of well-relax with each other and remove unnecessary stress, because their interests do not overlap, and there is mutual. In addition, they will have the same performance biorhythms. It is important for emotional and harmonious sexual relationship. In contrast, better communicate different subtypes. In this case, one will be effective at the beginning, and the second in its completion.

    The relatively incompatible (antagonistic) subtypes with increased metabolism of opposing elements of information: logic, ethics, sensing and intuition. This does not mean that such people can not get along with each other. It all depends on intertype relations, but at the information level it will be harder to understand each other, than previous partners. But on an emotional level, enabling intertype relations, they may feel more comfortable than in the discussions and general sessions.

    The representatives of the same subtype - in some respects may be compatible, while others - not in all. Much depends on what it is, and subtypes in what way they interact.

    Complement each other in these types:

    A. Intuitive subtype combined:

    a) with Ethics subtype

    b) the logical subtype

    Two. Touch combined subtype

    a) with Ethics subtype

    b) the logical subtype

    Three. Logical subtype combined:

    a) with an intuitive subtype

    b) touch a subtype

    4. Combined subtype of Ethics:

    a) with an intuitive subtype

    b) touch a subtype

    Representatives of the intuitive subtypes combines with the "subtype" ethical idealism and a desire to change the world for the better, but with the logic (at the level of sub-types) - the relative ability of abstract thinking and analysis of various phenomena. Subtype of sensory subtype ethics brings interest to the specific problems of each other, care for the convenience of the people, and with subtype logician - the clarity and sharpness of the goals and effectiveness of methods for achieving them.

    Despite the difference in all of these subtypes, they may find the path to understanding, if they learn to use more that unites them, rather than focus on the opposite qualities of each other. It is more difficult, but possible, and adapt to the opposite subtype.

    The opposite types:

    A. The logical opposite of a subtype of Ethics;

    Two. Intuitive touch the opposite subtype.

    There is a law of unity and struggle of opposites. If you apply it to Socionics, the most striking example of the unity of opposites are dual pairs. Even with the mismatch of subtypes, they complement each other well, although the commonality of interests, mutual understanding and harmony in the relationship will still have the best matching (with respect to the identity), rather than supplementing subtypes.

    The struggle of opposites, of course, brighter than the impact of conflict in couples, and especially for parts of their subtypes. This does not mean that such cases are hopeless, but they require more effort for mutual adjustment.

    The degree of compatibility of the same subtype, as, indeed, any other, may depend on various factors. In particular, not only on their intertype relations, but also focus on the type, temperament, psihoform, as well as various individual characteristics that may be outside of the typology.

    Knowing the degree of compatibility with your partner at the subtype level, it is easy to anticipate some of the possible reasons for differences that may occur at the opposite subtype. Let us examine them.

    A. Logical and ethical subtypes may be most keenly perceive their dissimilarity, sometimes generating antagonism. It's - the conflict between thought and feeling personality types, the more enhanced with additional, subtype of manifestation they have these qualities. In this case, ethics will suffer from the coldness of logic and of its lack of compromise in relationships and decisions. A logician will experience spiritual discomfort due to excessive emotion, resentment and unfounded, from his point of view, the claims of ethics. A compromise is possible if one makes a step forward to accept the other as he is, and will try to answer at least some of its demands.

    2. Touch and intuitive subtypes have differences from other causes. It is a conflict with the idealistic realist. Specifically thinking, sensible and impatient sensory intuitive type may seem abstract, or bum a weakling. Intuit will suffer from ground sensing and meticulousness, his inability to capture the essence of what was said or what is happening with polunamekami. On the other hand, when intuit starts to explain something, it makes it so vague and difficult to understand the sensing, that lack the patience to try to understand or make sense of this, especially since he is not capable of associative and creative thinking. As a result, both feel that their interests are as different as the way of thinking. They will be able to achieve greater harmony in the relationship, but if properly distribute responsibilities and will not demand the impossible from each other. However, they need to try to find a common hobby or learn to share the interests of another.

    In addition to these general trends, we must also consider the compatibility of individual personality types at the level of interaction between types of information models. Of course, this can be done only Socionics consultant who has specialized knowledge.

    Now consider the four groups of intertype relations subtype level.

    A. Relationships: identical, mirror, parallel and cancel, that is - the relationship of people with common matching items informobmena. These relationships bring people into intellectual clubs, as they have a similar setup to the innate activity.

    This is - the case where a large discrepancy in attitudes and outlook of the representatives of subtypes does not happen, so do not really matter what kind of a subtype of a partner. However, in humans is more common if the same subtype enhanced, although sometimes more interesting to talk to those who have enhanced complement subtype. In any case, their interests are similar.

    Two. Relationships: dual, activation, and the superego conflict. This is - a relationship in which the leading features of personality types there is no identity element for information exchange, and there is only complementary or antagonistic. This is the most need at least add subtype relations, especially the last two of them. Otherwise, you may need to adjust a lot of effort and achieve a good understanding, even in the duals.

    Three. The relationship audit, business and family - it is such a relationship in which the data types of the person has an identity function (eg, ethics - one partner and another), and one - the opposite (for example, the logic of one partner and the ethics of the other). This is a pretty contrast ratio at which the agreement is particularly important elements of informational metabolism in their subtypes. 4. The relationship of social order, and poludualnye mirage, associate partner with a complementary and quencheth one element of information exchange in their respective functions, the Model A types. These relationships are more comfortable and less antagonistic, but they also need to add subtype, albeit to a lesser extent than the previous ones.

    We have examined the compatibility relations at the level of personality types and subtypes. To understand how complex the world of human relations and a broad set of tools for their correction in the next chapter you will learn about the types of interoperability at the level of psihoform and their thinking styles, types of options, as well as patterns of emotional compatibility at the level of forms of senses and relations.

    Meged VV, 1989-1990.

    References:

    1. Meged VV, Ovcharov AA "The concept of energy in the model" A "and the construction of sub-types, g-l", Cosmology, and Psychology of Personality, "MIS 1, 1994

    2. Ovcharov AA Extraversion-introversion software functions, g-l ", Cosmology, and Psychology of Personality, MIS 3, 1995

    3. Meged VV, Ovcharov AA Applied Theory of Socionics, g-l ", Cosmology, and Psychology of Personality, MIS 2, 1996

    4. Ovcharov AA "Male and female characters" g-l ", Cosmology, and Psychology of Personality, MIS 3, 1999

    5. Meged V. Psychophysical aspects of personality type / /, Cosmology, and Psychology of Personality, MIS, N2, 2002

    6. Meged V. Types and quadra, g-l "Socionics, psychology and interpersonal relations", May-June, 1999

    7. Meged VV, Ovcharov AA Applied Socionics, g-l "Socionics, psychology and interpersonal relations", May-June, 1999

    8. Meged VV, Ovcharov AA Brief description of personality types, g-l "Socionics, psychology and interpersonal relations", May-June, 1999

    9. Meged V. Biopsychic aspects socionic model type, x-x 'Socionics, psychology and interpersonal relations ", February, 2000

    10. Meged V. Types and empathy, g-l "Socionics, psychology and interpersonal relations", April, 2000
    Comments 30 Comments
    1. Narc's Avatar
      Narc -
      This article is so needlessly verbose.

      Here's a classic rational summing up that retains the same ultimate point:

      In duals, there is likely to be greater compatibility when one person is the rational subtype of their TIM and the other is the irrational subtype of their TIM. This is because the emphasised information elements of these subtypes match up and therefore influence interests, potential careers and mindsets.

      Te-LSE + Ne-EII (Te Ti Ne Ni) = Good
      Si-LSE + Fi-EII (Se Si Fe Fi) = Good
      Si-LSE + Ne-EII (Se Si Fe Fi vs Te Ti Ne Ni) = Less Good
      Te-LSE + Fi-EII (Te Ti Ne Ni vs Se Si Fe Fi) = Less Good
    1. Subteigh's Avatar
      Subteigh -
      This is very interesting if true, but must logically run contrary to Model A somewhat
    1. Narc's Avatar
      Narc -
      Ti system symmetry sometimes leaves out room for the truth to seep in. Sometimes the truth isn't neatly logical.
    1. Olduvai's Avatar
      Olduvai -
      Not sure I agree with Meged's conclusions. I think the strength of dual pairs comes from their complementarity, and it seems like two of the same subtype would be more complementary than one of each subtype. Fi-IEE has accented sensing and ethics to the detriment of intuition and logic. Wouldn't it therefore make sense that Te-SLI, with its heightened logic and intuition, would be a better complement than Si-SLI?
    1. Subteigh's Avatar
      Subteigh -
      exactly...

      maybe some of the references it includes has some actual evidence to support it though
    1. Narc's Avatar
      Narc -
      Quote Originally Posted by heavynurse View Post
      Not sure I agree with Meged's conclusions. I think the strength of dual pairs comes from their complementarity, and it seems like two of the same subtype would be more complementary than one of each subtype. Fi-IEE has accented sensing and ethics to the detriment of intuition and logic. Wouldn't it therefore make sense that Te-SLI, with its heightened logic and intuition, would be a better complement than Si-SLI?
      I would suspect that the benefit of duality comes more from the fact that the two types will share the same kind of ethics (they'll either be more firm in base and suggestive positions or a bit more flexible in creative and mobilising positions).

      Given that duals without subtype considered will fit into each other's IE configurations neatly, I don't think the duals' subtypes emphasising the same two Jungian dichotomies is a bad thing. I actually had this thought before coming across the article itself.
    1. Olduvai's Avatar
      Olduvai -
      Quote Originally Posted by Narc View Post
      I would suspect that the benefit of duality comes more from the fact that the two types will share the same kind of ethics (they'll either be more firm in base and suggestive positions or a bit more flexible in creative and mobilising positions).
      I'm not sure it's appropriate to elevate the importance of ethical functions. LSI has Fe in the suggestive position and ESE has Ti in the base position, thereby satisfying your criteria. Yet IEI would still be a better match for LSI, and ILE for ESE. Semi-dual SLE is a better match for ILI than benefit partner EII, despite the latter sharing the same valued ethical function. Forgive me if I've missed your point.


      Quote Originally Posted by Narc View Post
      Given that duals without subtype considered will fit into each other's IE configurations neatly, I don't think the duals' subtypes emphasising the same two Jungian dichotomies is a bad thing. I actually had this thought before coming across the article itself.
      I'm not saying it's a bad thing, just that things won't line up as neatly. Te-SLI's accentuated logic and intuition better complement Fi-IEE's accentuated ethics and sensing than do Si-SLI's accentuated ethics and sensing.
    1. Narc's Avatar
      Narc -
      Quote Originally Posted by heavynurse View Post
      I'm not sure it's appropriate to elevate the importance of ethical functions. LSI has Fe in the suggestive position and ESE has Ti in the base position, thereby satisfying your criteria. Yet IEI would still be a better match for LSI, and ILE for ESE. Semi-dual SLE is a better match for ILI than benefit partner EII, despite the latter sharing the same valued ethical function. Forgive me if I've missed your point.
      Using the two dyad pairs of Gamma as an example (LIE+ESI and SEE+ILI), the Fi of LIE/ESI is more fixed and principled. Having the ethics in the creative position of SEE and the mobilising position of the ILI has a more flexible moment to moment version of Fi. For a more detailed idea of how that manifests, it's best to read this article for LIE/ESI and this article for SEE/ILI.

      Quote Originally Posted by heavynurse View Post
      I'm not saying it's a bad thing, just that things won't line up as neatly. Te-SLI's accentuated logic and intuition better complement Fi-IEE's accentuated ethics and sensing than does Si-SLI's accentuated ethics and sensing.
      Yeah, the symmetry is more a concern for someone that values Ti. I care for what works, not what looks like it works in theory but not in practice.
    1. Olduvai's Avatar
      Olduvai -
      Quote Originally Posted by Narc View Post
      Using the two dyad pairs of Gamma as an example (LIE+ESI and SEE+ILI), the Fi of LIE/ESI is more fixed and principled. Having the ethics in the creative position of SEE and the mobilising position of the ILI has a more flexible moment to moment version of Fi. For a more detailed idea of how that manifests, it's best to read this article for LIE/ESI and this article for SEE/ILI.
      I'm gonna go ahead and skip Strat's duality descriptions; I find her stuff to be needlessly verbose

      Duality works because everything lines up, not just ethics. The more "things" that line up, the better the relationship. IEI is a better match for LSI than ESE is because IEI has both Fe and Ni as ego functions, despite ESE's having Fe in the same position as LSI's dual. And SLE is a better match for ILI than IEE is, even though IEE has Fi in the same position as ILI's dual.


      Quote Originally Posted by Narc View Post
      Yeah, the symmetry is more a concern for someone that values Ti. I care for what works, not what looks like it works in theory but not in practice.
      It's not symmetrical for symmetry's sake, it's symmetrical because it just makes sense that way. And I don't think we can even say what works better in practice, because Meged's conclusions appear to be based on theoretical assumptions rather than empirical data.
    1. Narc's Avatar
      Narc -
      Quote Originally Posted by heavynurse View Post
      I'm gonna go ahead and skip Strat's duality descriptions; I find her stuff to be needlessly verbose
      Your loss, considering you're not understanding what I'm saying.

      Quote Originally Posted by heavynurse View Post
      Duality works because everything lines up, not just ethics. The more "things" that line up, the better the relationship. IEI is a better match for LSI than ESE is because IEI has both Fe and Ni as ego functions, despite ESE's having Fe in the same position as LSI's dual. And SLE is a better match for ILI than IEE is, even though IEE has Fi in the same position as ILI's dual.
      I've found that activity relations across other quadras are generally a bad idea romantically but might be a better idea for platonic friendship.

      Quote Originally Posted by heavynurse View Post
      It's not symmetrical for symmetry's sake, it's symmetrical because it just makes sense that way. And I don't think we can even say what works better in practice, because Meged's conclusions appear to be based on theoretical assumptions rather than empirical data.
      I've made my own observations that the assertions in this article might be a point for consideration, it's a coincidence that I ended up finding that there was something already written on the matter.

      You go with your idea of symmetric duality and I'll go with my idea of asymmetric duality.
    1. FDG's Avatar
      FDG -
      I understand where Meged is coming from with her theory, namely the radical similarity between ethics and intuition (both abstract functions) and sensing and thinking (both concrete functions) which can lead to an ease in mutual understanding among subtypes with the same pairings. A couple of things however remain unclear to me:

      1. How does this system work for ST and NF types? Neither of the two has a point of contact with the other. Arguing that a Ne-subtype ENFp is a better fit for a Te-subtype ISTp because the Ne-sub ENFp is more similar to an ENTp seems to completely run contrary to the current logic of socionics. Bringing forth this argument, you would quickly end up arguing that the best-fit for a Te subtype ISTp is a Ti-subtype ESTp due to the similarity in both logic and sensing. IMHO Meged is confusing the ability to work well with each other on the same technical or ethical project (and that's often given by "club" pairings, f.e. mirrors or supervisors working towards a common sensing, feeling, intuition or thinking goal is often the most effective pairing for completing a specific task) vs. the ability to form long-lasting, complementary and smooth relations which is given by complementary "clubs".

      2. While you may argue that say a Se subtype ISFj may find a Te subtype ENTj "more suitable" because he looks "stronger" than a Ni sub, I'd argue that this is not a good premise for developing a long-lasting relationship, since two types who focus on extraverted and concrete functions are normally bound to butt heads a lot, whereas I would suppose that having a more yielding and "manipulative" partner leads to a long-term positive development. I see that Meged has considered this point in her explanation but explicitly chose to dismiss it.

      In short I think Meged is cataloging an existing phenomenon (ease in "working" together for a specific project) in the "wrong" bracket (ease in forming a long-lasting positive relationship).

      Maybe (not sure) you may conclude that an asymmetric duality is better suited for a working relationship whereas a symmetric duality is better suited for a romantic relationship.
    1. Pookie's Avatar
      Pookie -
      It seems like she's bringing up a point thats already been brought up before, and just giving her opinion that one's better(than the other).

      IEI-Ni + SLE-Ti, are supposed to work better with each other and are therefore more compatible on a particular level due to both of them having enhanced skill and focus on Ti and Ni.

      IEI-Ni + SLE-Se, are supposed to put each other at ease quicker, because they compliment ones strength with anothers weakness. IEI-Ni has the focus on Ni & Ti, and SLE has the focus on Se & Fe, while the strengths of the two are split differently.


      It seems as though Meged just prefers the former, and not the latter. It's her opinion.
    1. Olduvai's Avatar
      Olduvai -
      Quote Originally Posted by Narc View Post
      Your loss, considering you're not understanding what I'm saying.
      Perhaps you could explain it better for me and spare me the chore of having to slog through Strat's outrageously loquacious descriptions? You appear to be saying that the chief benefit of duality comes from the ethical IEs being in complementary positions; what I'm saying is that the benefit of duality comes from every IE being in a complementary position. Hence my argument regarding subtypes.


      Quote Originally Posted by Narc View Post
      I've found that activity relations across other quadras are generally a bad idea romantically but might be a better idea for platonic friendship.
      But activity relations are still better for romantic relationships than are relations of benefit, no?


      Quote Originally Posted by Narc View Post
      You go with your idea of symmetric duality and I'll go with my idea of asymmetric duality.
      Fair enough, but I'd rather you call my idea "complementary duality". Shit, you might as well just call it "duality".
    1. Amber's Avatar
      Amber -
      From what I've seen compatible subtypes are those who match on the strengthened Judging/Perceiving line most of all.
    1. The Exception's Avatar
      The Exception -
      I'm confused now. I thought rational subtypes work best with someone of the complementary rational subtype. And likewise with irrational subtypes. So LII-Ti is better with ESE-Fe and LII-Ne is better with ESE-Si.

      I could be confusing it with DCNH theory. In DCNH irrational subtypes C and H best complement each other and rational subtypes D and N complement.
    1. domr's Avatar
      domr -
      Quote Originally Posted by Narc View Post
      This article is so needlessly verbose.

      Here's a classic rational summing up that retains the same ultimate point:

      In duals, there is likely to be greater compatibility when one person is the rational subtype of their TIM and the other is the irrational subtype of their TIM. This is because the emphasised information elements of these subtypes match up and therefore influence interests, potential careers and mindsets.

      Te-LSE + Ne-EII (Te Ti Ne Ni) = Good
      Si-LSE + Fi-EII (Se Si Fe Fi) = Good
      Si-LSE + Ne-EII (Se Si Fe Fi vs Te Ti Ne Ni) = Less Good
      Te-LSE + Fi-EII (Te Ti Ne Ni vs Se Si Fe Fi) = Less Good
      It's the exact opposite. P subtypes get along better and likewise so do J subtypes.
    1. Xaiviay's Avatar
      Xaiviay -
      Quote Originally Posted by domr View Post
      It's the exact opposite. P subtypes get along better and likewise so do J subtypes.
      This is true as far as I always understood it...I'm an Fe-SEI, and I feel the best chemistry with Ti-ILE types. I met one ILE who I'm pretty sure was a strong Ne subtype. He was more relaxed, used less critical thinking, more friendly and open and laidback than most ENTps. And I tried to get close to him but I never felt the same duality chemistry as with the others.
    1. domr's Avatar
      domr -
      Quote Originally Posted by Xaiviay View Post
      This is true as far as I always understood it...I'm an Fe-SEI, and I feel the best chemistry with Ti-ILE types. I met one ILE who I'm pretty sure was a strong Ne subtype. He was more relaxed, used less critical thinking, more friendly and open and laidback than most ENTps. And I tried to get close to him but I never felt the same duality chemistry as with the others.
      Same. I've met SLI-Te types and I find them to active and controlling, like LSE, compared to the SLI-Si type, which is more much clam and laid-back. Prefer the Si subtype to Te.

      This extends to all relationships. Even with judging types, I prefer the perceiving subtypes.
    1. Xaiviay's Avatar
      Xaiviay -
      Quote Originally Posted by domr View Post
      Same. I've met SLI-Te types and I find them to active and controlling, like LSE, compared to the SLI-Si type, which is more much clam and laid-back. Prefer the Si subtype to Te.

      This extends to all relationships. Even with judging types, I prefer the perceiving subtypes.
      Yes, this makes sense! Especially if you are a perceiving subtype yourself, right? I've never thought about what subtypes I prefer outside of my duals, but I've noticed what you describe about SLI-Te subtypes. They tend to dominate the conversation, going on about all the details they've memorized about their most favorite subjects. One I knew was a major fan of guns and knives. He'd just go up to you and start talking. He could tell you every detail under the sun about all the different makes and brands, what the different features were made for, whether or not the features actually turned out to be useful in real-life circumstances, and so on. He'd back off if I gave a clear signal that I'd had enough, but otherwise he could go on for hours with me only interjecting a few "mm"s and "ahhs". His brain was like an encyclopedia for a few beloved subjects. It was pretty impressive, really. Whereas the LSEs I've met have a brain that's like an encyclopedia for practically everything o_o But they both are pretty assertive.

      Then there was this other SLI I knew, and I'm pretty sure she was a more introverted one. She was just relaxed and unassuming, not very emotionally warm, but still considerate. At first it was me that got the friendship going, and I was worried she didn't want me trying to get to know her because she didn't respond with many facial expressions. She was pretty closed-off. But then about a week later, she started saying 'hi' and acting like it was already established that we were good acquaintances. She liked to bring lunches for me during class. It was hard to ruffle her feathers, so to speak, she was just so relaxed about everything. She'd pretty much go along with whatever you wanted to talk about and say lots of "m-hm"s and occasionally add her own, well thought-out opinion that was always down-to-earth/realistic.

      Anyways, sorry if I'm rambling too much! You just got me thinking about my old SLI friends. I liked all of them, very easy-going people
    1. Xaiviay's Avatar
      Xaiviay -
      Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
      It seems like she's bringing up a point thats already been brought up before, and just giving her opinion that one's better(than the other).

      IEI-Ni + SLE-Ti, are supposed to work better with each other and are therefore more compatible on a particular level due to both of them having enhanced skill and focus on Ti and Ni.

      IEI-Ni + SLE-Se, are supposed to put each other at ease quicker, because they compliment ones strength with anothers weakness. IEI-Ni has the focus on Ni & Ti, and SLE has the focus on Se & Fe, while the strengths of the two are split differently.


      It seems as though Meged just prefers the former, and not the latter. It's her opinion.
      Ohh, this makes sense, good explanation! Well that explains why I disagreed with this, initially, since I'm looking at subtypes from the perspective of finding a relationship rather than a work partner...