Thread: what are our cultural gems?

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Default what are our cultural gems?

lungs : you know how there are good books from the past were those books popular then or was it like twighlight equivalents that everybody forgot about later
    lungs : like..is twilight forever the voice of this generation is kinda what i'm getting at ?
    mfckr : this is what the 2008-? whatever era will be remembered for
    mfckr : and as far as good books from the past, no i don't think most were regarded as pop filth
    mfckr : i think there's been a genuine decline in mainstream talent
    leckysupport : historically not much bad stuff survives
    mfckr : ya
    mfckr : i considered that aspect ofc. but then it's like, where is today's good stuff?
    lungs : exactly lol...
    leckysupport : i don't think we're in decline we're just experiencing the shit en-mass
    mfckr : i think there's still highly intelligent & talented ppl out there ofc, but more often than not they're like lone voices in the wilderness
    leckysupport : but hopefully everything bad will disappear and a few the gems will GLISTEN IN THE HISTORY OF HUMAN THOUGHT
    lungs : i hope so i just have no idea what the gems might be
    mfckr : lol hopefully
    lungs : so you guys don't have any idea either. maybe i'll make a thread and quote some of this convo
    lungs : what people think the gems will be

you can go to where your heart is Galen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are you just referring to literary works, or any sort of artistic medium?

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

i'm especially curious about books since stuff like film is relatively modern and it's hard to imagine the significance of like, a tv show being discussed with the same levity as a book (though i guess it already happens)

any sort of artistic medium that comes to mind, though, i'd be curious to hear.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I don't know which culture you're referring to.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Today's good stuff, hasn't had time to rise to the surface yet. If you want to find the good stuff you have to take some initiative. Though saying "Today" is a bit... vague? I mean Chuck Palahniuk is a modern writer of some acclaim, I doubt anyone will be forgetting 'Fight Club' anytime soon. Plus you have your F. Scott Fitzgerald. 'Brave New World' is one of my favorites by Aldous Huxley. I hear Huxley has a lot of other great stuff too I have yet to explore. Does Steinbeck count as modern? He won the noble prize in literature but I haven't read any of his stuff yet
    Easy Day

Banned
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JWC3 View Post
    Today's good stuff, hasn't had time to rise to the surface yet. If you want to find the good stuff you have to take some initiative. Though saying "Today" is a bit... vague? I mean Chuck Palahniuk is a modern writer of some acclaim, I doubt anyone will be forgetting 'Fight Club' anytime soon. Plus you have your F. Scott Fitzgerald. 'Brave New World' is one of my favorites by Aldous Huxley. I hear Huxley has a lot of other great stuff too I have yet to explore. Does Steinbeck count as modern? He won the noble prize in literature but I haven't read any of his stuff yet
    I think she's referring to the last 5-10 yrs.

TIM
    IEI-Fe (9)62 sx/?
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I think Neil Gaiman will be remembered. He might be outwith your time parameters though.
    Reason is a whore.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GuavaDrunk View Post
    I think Neil Gaiman will be remembered. He might be outwith your time parameters though.
    perfect

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

The core problem is a lot of books thought to be classy and well written are also dry and boring to people.

I have mixed feelings hating on twilight. I feel sorry for anything when it's made fun of too much, which is ironic I suppose because I find the actual book (not movie) condescending as hell. The movies aren't that bad, just too heteronormative or something - like there was this one part where they could at least made a funny 'haha gay joke' but then decided to have the other guy say 'I would never forgive you' or something. That one line proved without a shadow of a doubt "homophobia" isn't what is wrong, heterosexism is.

It teaches men that our only goal in life is to constantly be antagonistic to each other over women, and women just sort of be dumb and giggle tee hee over cute guys without any thought of their own. So yeah, it is offensive. Does it deserve all the abuse? Probably. But I guess I'm just against martryizing-everything.

People confuse my agenda. I don't want sex with men 24/7 or everybody be gay. It would be just nice to live in a more brotherly envrionment, where two men could even hold hands like in other countries without people thinking it's wrong. I just hate this ... fucking suburban american ish twilight burger king mentality that so many people have. It's so dumb.

sorry I know your thread wasn't about twilight specifically blah blah.

TIM
    IEI-Fe (9)62 sx/?
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Another one occured: Lionel Shriver (wrote We Need To Talk About Kevin.)

And Kim Whatshisname, wrote "Years of Rice and Salt."
    Reason is a whore.

TIM
    OmniPoLR
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Books are now competing with many other cultural mediums. Books can never be completely replaced but sometimes watching the Daily show is time off from reading Harry Potter.

Globalization of information has also made it hard for the Great Classics to stand out from the Awesome Ones.

At times I feel like it has been a golden era of animated comedies after the Simpsons.
    It maybe even a golden era for TV series, personally I've never been into so many TV series as I'm into now.
    Video games are not in their initial boon but still getting more fantastic as the computer technology rapidly increases.

In a way, these other mediums have a way of synergy with books. Most common instance might be when a book is made into a movie.

Here's a few which might be remembered:
    Chuck Palachniuk, Paulo Coelho, J.K Rowlings, Stieg Larsson, Dan Brown, Neil Gaiman, Mark Haddock, Cormac McCarthy, Susannah Clarke.

Somehow I tend to think that the great ones will first be underrated. I don't know why would it actually be so.
    “I tell you, freedom and human rights in America are doomed. The U.S. government will lead the American people in — and the West in general — into an unbearable hell and a choking life. - Osama bin Laden

TIM
    IEI-Fe (9)62 sx/?
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Maybe because their value is so seminal they seem only evidently decent until the passage of time flags up their timelessness.
    Reason is a whore.

Banned
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Somehow I tend to think that the great ones will first be underrated. I don't know why would it actually be so.
    Contemporaneous popularity tends to be attained by those who make concerted self-promotional efforts at just that—to become popular. Meanwhile, the ones out there doing real & interesting work are too busy to play PR games, thus often going unnoticed in their time for lack of surrounding media buzz.

That's been my theory anyway.

Mentioned
    760 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Game of Thrones (Tv show) GRR Martin was a TV writer before he was a novel writer.
    The Wire
    Breaking Bad
    30 Rock (Tina Fey in general)
    Sopranos
    Justified (RIP Elmore Leonard)

People are missing out that the great story telling that's occurring today is on TV not always in books.

Great works are generally popular(eventually) and have great artistic merit. Without popular support it's only known by the literati or a small group and that's easy to disappear especially during times of social upheaval.

The world isn't just Hunger Games and Twilight, this is just the tween market which big as it might be is very trendy and cyclical. Products here are disposable, and things like this get churned and churned.

Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was going to say me.

Unfortunately I haven't read what I would consider a truly incredible book in ages. (lack of time, motivation..).

One of my favorite authors is Tom Robbins. He's pervy, zaney, all-over-the-place. I've read five of his books and so far I've like them all. He supposedly writes them while he is on acid.

I also like an author by the name of Christie Hodgen... However, that being said, neither of their work is profound or extremely enlightening. I just find them to be a nice mix of dark humor, wit, and really entertaining.
    Last edited by blackburry; 08-22-2013 at 10:49 PM.

Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No one mentions Haruki Murakami?

The Wind-up Bird Chronicle is as close to perfect as it gets (granted it came out in '97).

A dusty and dreadful charade. Scapegrace's Avatar
    TIM
    ill
    Mentioned
    170 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thomas Pynchon and Cormac McCarthy are are the guys who spring to mind.

I'm amused by all the trash people are mentioning as for potential future "classics." It makes me want to kill myself.
    "[Scapegrace,] I don't know how anyone can stand such a sinister and mean individual as you." - Maritsa Darmandzhyan

Brought to you by socionix.com

Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mfckr View Post
    Contemporaneous popularity tends to be attained by those who make concerted self-promotional efforts at just that—to become popular. Meanwhile, the ones out there doing real & interesting work are too busy to play PR games, thus often going unnoticed in their time for lack of surrounding media buzz.

That's been my theory anyway.

Banned
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with the above post.

Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Radio View Post
    No one mentions Haruki Murakami?

The Wind-up Bird Chronicle is as close to perfect as it gets (granted it came out in '97).
    I'm a Murakami fan as well, although he doesn't seem particularly well-known outside of Japan. Maybe time will change that?

A dusty and dreadful charade. Scapegrace's Avatar
    TIM
    ill
    Mentioned
    170 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Galen View Post
    I'm a Murakami fan as well, although he doesn't seem particularly well-known outside of Japan. Maybe time will change that?
    I read some Murakami just because his work was compared to my boyfirend's. Eh. His novels are just too... Emo for me. I like his prose okay though.
    "[Scapegrace,] I don't know how anyone can stand such a sinister and mean individual as you." - Maritsa Darmandzhyan

Brought to you by socionix.com

Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Scapegrace View Post
    I read some Murakami just because his work was compared to my boyfirend's. Eh. His novels are just too... Emo for me. I like his prose okay though.
    His short stories are fun little reads. I tried to read Norwegian Wood, but it did end up far too self-pitying to keep my interest going. His works mostly appeal to the young adult market anyway, which I fear I was always too old for to really get into.

Mentioned
    223 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i've read mein kampf. other dictator's novels (e.g. gaddafi, saddam hussein) will probably survive and be read (at least in the region, since they don't have the same notoriety)