Thread: Function values vs function strength

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Function values vs. function strength

a thought occurred to me on the difference between function values and function strength and the various practical ways in which the two can be distinguished.

if function strength is associated with a skillset, a number of activities a person more or less easily and effortlessly engages in, this mostly concerns how a person CAN behave at any time given certain incentives, necessities and opportunities.

function values on the other hand concern what a person WILL choose to engage in given conditions of mostly freedom and abundance of choice options.

the two can be difficult to tell apart. however, i think there is a relatively simply mnemonic:

if a person, though the course of their life, repeatedly WANTS to act in a certain way when the possibility presented itself, this causes certain longer term conditions pertaining to his/her lifestyle to get cemented in place. where the mere possibility for action is concerned, however, the effect is much less strong.

as such, function VALUES are recognizable by the longer term, fixed, "cemented" conditions of a person's lifestyle, things that over the course of decades have left a mark and caused to confine a person's identity in a certain way.

function STRENGTH is recognizable by what a person is capable of under short term, momentary conditions.

---

as an example that doesn't pertain directly to the theory but illustrates the principle:

suppose there is a function Mo that comprises various skills related to the management of finances and handling of money.

to be Strong in Mo means a person is capable of telling you in any situation what to do to maximize your profits and returns and limit the monetary costs of activities.

to Value Mo means the person throughout his/her life repeatedly chooses to make use of Mo when the opportunity arises and is as a result relatively rich/affluent.

the first is a situational skill that can be made use of but might not be. the second is a long-term calcified condition that defines the person's identity as a result of a choice repeatedly being made.

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agreed. Glad to see more people seeing it this way. I'd also add, I've come to see function strength as more of a general vibe with slight variance per person and dependent on circumstance (I think naturally one might assume why), and function values as more of an all-encompassing division towards a set perception, hence why I think quadras are rather significant.

"Information without energy is useless" Nowisthetime's Avatar
    TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just wondering, what is the basis for the concept of valued function? I understand it is ego and super-id, but what do they have in common that justifies the use of the concept? Is there any essence that this concept can be broken down to?

EDIT:
    Suggestion: It is the strong and conscious area of the dual couple seen as a whole. But other than that?

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nowisthetime View Post
    Just wondering, what is the basis for the concept of valued function? I understand it is ego and super-id, but what do they have in common that justifies the use of the concept? Is there any essence that this concept can be broken down to?

EDIT:
    Suggestion: It is the strong and conscious area of the dual couple seen as a whole. But other than that?
    it's a premise of the system that certain function pairs mesh together into quadra value axes. this is derived from the (quasi-)empirical determination that certain type pairs get along better than others. i don't think it makes sense to break it down further.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

So much Ti, so little time.