Thread: Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

I was watching this movie again the other night and it made me wonder, "What kind of intertype relation is going on here between Joel (Jim Carrey) and Clementine (Kate Winslet)"?

I'm tempted to say that Joel could possibly be INFj. He struck me as being Se-averse at the least, if not PoLR, and Clementine seemed to very naturally give off an Se vibe, possibly leading. She appears to demand some Fe from him when he comes off as being more Fi than Fe.

Do you suppose that this might be an example of a relationship between conflictors? Well, I don't know, there definitely seems to be a tangible tension between the two of them which may or may not be so simple as a personality conflict. It's hard to say because they seem ill-fated for one another, yet there is also a unique sort of attraction between the two that almost looks like it springs from how vastly opposite the two of them are, though this also comes through in the way their relationship deteriorates.
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought Joel was INTp. It's not that he didn't like . He just couldn't produce it himself. And he mostly loved the crazy impulsive life. He started disliking it when it got routine. But Joel seemed very much like an INTp without the push.

At first I was convinced that she's ESFp because of the impulsive behavior. But I really hope that wasn't duality. She could be ENFp? Or possibly ISFp?
    EIE, ENFj, intuitive subtype.
    E3 (probably 3w4)

Cool ILI hubbys are better than LSIs any time!

Old blog: http://firsttimeinusa.blogspot.com/
    New blog: http://having-a-kid.blogspot.com/

Hacking your soul since the beginning of time Hitta's Avatar
    Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kristiina View Post
    I thought Joel was INTp. It's not that he didn't like . He just couldn't produce it himself. And he mostly loved the crazy impulsive life. He started disliking it when it got routine. But Joel seemed very much like an INTp without the push.

At first I was convinced that she's ESFp because of the impulsive behavior. But I really hope that wasn't duality. She could be ENFp? Or possibly ISFp?
    INTps are routine people, Joel was no INTp
    Model X Will Save Us!

*randomwarelinkremoved

jessica129:scrotums r hot

:" hitting cap makes me envision cervix smashing"

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i just don't know about him as INTp no matter how much i try to see it.
    6w5 sx
    model Φ: -+0
    sloan - rcuei

wants to be a writer. silverchris9's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IEI (Carrey)-SLE (Winslet). Done, cake, finished, conclusion set, no further argument necessary. That is absolutely, 100% duality. Duality doesn't = happy forever, especially for IEIs and SLEs. It means they can achieve what they want, which is more out of life. The two of them helped each other to experience life more. Jim Carrey kindly returned the favor to her when he said "OK" at the end. Also, duality isn't going to help so much when you're dating an alcoholic and you're a social neurotic.

If it makes you feel any better, Jim Carrey was IEI-Ni and painfully shy. He was an Ni ego: interested in whoever showed interest in him (interested in interest, as it were), and unable to end a bad relationship (not the one with Kate Winslet, the one with the girl before her). We saw his Fe in his fundamental "nice"-ness and his capability to emotionally deal with Kate Winslet. He responds to her emotional outbursts emotionally. An ILI would shut down at those. SLE Kate Winslet would then be pissed (SLEs need you to scream back at them, even if you don't raise your voice). And I could see myself accusing an SLE, out of insecurity, that she only makes friends (Fi-polr) by offering sex (pure IEI projection of his fear of sexual/masculine inadequacy).
    Not a rule, just a trend.

IEI. Probably Fe subtype. Pretty sure I'm E4, sexual instinctual type, fairly confident that I'm a 3 wing now, so: IEI-Fe E4w3 sx/so. Considering 3w4 now, but pretty sure that 4 fits the best.

Yes 'a ma'am that's pretty music...

I am grateful for the mystery of the soul, because without it, there could be no contemplation, except of the mysteries of divinity, which are far more dangerous to get wrong.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by silverchris9 View Post
    IEI (Carrey)-SLE (Winslet). Done, cake, finished, conclusion set, no further argument necessary. That is absolutely, 100% duality. Duality doesn't = happy forever, especially for IEIs and SLEs. It means they can achieve what they want, which is more out of life. The two of them helped each other to experience life more. Jim Carrey kindly returned the favor to her when he said "OK" at the end. Also, duality isn't going to help so much when you're dating an alcoholic and you're a social neurotic.

If it makes you feel any better, Jim Carrey was IEI-Ni and painfully shy. He was an Ni ego: interested in whoever showed interest in him (interested in interest, as it were), and unable to end a bad relationship (not the one with Kate Winslet, the one with the girl before her). We saw his Fe in his fundamental "nice"-ness and his capability to emotionally deal with Kate Winslet. He responds to her emotional outbursts emotionally. An ILI would shut down at those. SLE Kate Winslet would then be pissed (SLEs need you to scream back at them, even if you don't raise your voice). And I could see myself accusing an SLE, out of insecurity, that she only makes friends (Fi-polr) by offering sex (pure IEI projection of his fear of sexual/masculine inadequacy).
    Not sure about their type, but I could see that. What did you mean by " (...) especially for IEIs and SLEs"?

Jesus is the cruel sausage consentingadult's Avatar
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It sure was a fascinating movie, I myself have seen it shortly after I terminated a relationship with an SLE woman on the edge of borderline, so the movie stirred up a lot of emotions in me. The problem with SLE women of this kind is that the have this inclination to be promiscuous and thus abusive, still they don't see themselves that way. That's also how Clementine responds when Joel accuses her of being unfaithful: "I'm not like that!" But oh yes, she definitively is, or she would have been had she been a real life person. But this is a movie and movies have to have happy endings...

I do not believe Joel is IEI by necessity. He could be basically be any kind of sensitive type falling for the forbidden fruits of someone with Cluster-B personality pathologies. Healthy SLE women (and men) adhere to healthy limits.

It is difficult to type the Carrey character, because Carrey himself is ILE. Winslet is SLE, so she was perfectly typecasted for the role (even though I believe Winslet herself is a healthy manifestation of SLE).
    “I have never tried that before, so I think I should definitely be able to do that.” --- Pippi Longstocking

Mentioned
    171 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

It's one of my all-time favorite movies. An old friend of mine re-watched it five times I think. FIVE, and she usually HATES romance movies. For what it's worth, I think their type was xII.

As for the characters and the story itself, I could see the movie as being Ni/Se valuing, honestly.
    “I want the following word: splendor, splendor is fruit in all its succulence, fruit without sadness. I want vast distances. My savage intuition of myself.”
    Clarice Lispector

TIM
    So/Sx Introvert
    Mentioned
    717 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)

I just know that the movie seems Delta NF af. Very whimsical, focus on childlike imagery, a lot of "randomness" etc ... rather .

The is the focus on (inter)personal feelings and how they color the Ne experience. It's similar to the movie Amelié in that way, which I'd also type as Delta NF.

When it comes to their ITR, I could see it being Supervision perhaps? Then she'd be SEE-Fi and he'd be EII. But I could also see IEE-Fi for her. Sexual IEE-Fi women are the stereotypical "manic pixie girl" type. So if that is Supervision, then he'd be LII. But I am not really sure. I'd have to watch it again. All I can say, is that she seems to be ExFx and he seems to be some kind of introvert, leaning Ne ego.
    New Youtube [x] Get Typed! [x]
    Celebs [x] Theory [x] Tumblr [x]

*********** 21-04-19:
    "Looks like a mystic that just arrived to battle and staring out at the battle, ready to unleash"

Mentioned
    171 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Olimpia View Post
    I just know that the movie seems Delta NF af. Very whimsical, focus on childlike imagery, a lot of "randomness" etc ... rather .

The is the focus on (inter)personal feelings and how they color the Ne experience. It's similar to the movie Amelié in that way, which I'd also type as Delta NF.

When it comes to their ITR, I could see it being Supervision perhaps? Then she'd be SEE-Fi and he'd be EII. But I could also see IEE-Fi for her. Sexual IEE-Fi women are the stereotypical "manic pixie girl" type. So if that is Supervision, then he'd be LII. But I am not really sure. I'd have to watch it again. All I can say, is that she seems to be ExFx and he seems to be some kind of introvert, leaning Ne ego.
    I was actually thinking SEE for Clementine. And EII for Joel would be good as well. When I watched the first 10 minutes of the movie I squealed.
    relatable.jpeg
    “I want the following word: splendor, splendor is fruit in all its succulence, fruit without sadness. I want vast distances. My savage intuition of myself.”
    Clarice Lispector